Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Neverwinter | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,817,682 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,216,185
Jagex Ltd | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 03/29/04)  | Pub:Jagex Ltd
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Browser | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:$07.95
Browser GameOut of date info? Let us know!

Runescape Forum » General Discussion » Big wall of text about the state of the game

3 posts found
  jennfi89

Apprentice Member

OP  7/03/13 12:53:55 PM#1

So this is going to be a big wall of text about state and the game and other opinions.

So iv played runescape since 2003, had a few breaks there and here, but iv spend a lot of time playing the game and seen the bad and the good updates and bugs.

Runescape used to be an amazing game at its prime time which everyone knows, for some people it was classic but for most people it was 2006- 2008, the game back then had no micro payments of any kind and rules actually were enfroced. Runescape used to be loved because it was unique game that wasn't about getting the best items possible.

These days runescape is nothing like it used to be.

They have added micro payments to the game, and they aren't just micro payments, they are pay to win mechanics, as you can buy spins and get in game experience and gold, you can say what you wan't but this is basicly buying gold and experience with real life money.

Botting these days is a massive problem in runescape, and most long time players know it and are well aware of it, the botting has basicly destroyed the game and its economy that used to be good.

Real players will have to work 10 times harder then botters to achieve anything in the game due to gold making with honest ways is extremely slow and non profitable, the only way to make honest profit in the game is to be maxed in most stats and do bosses, but even then these massive botters running multi account botting with 10+ bots, ( iv seen as high as 50 +) in living rock caverns, as its one of the easiest places to bot for professional botters, these guys are making massive profit, and crashing all prices to so low that legit players will have to farm gold for years to be able to get the better items.

Due to the botters farming more and more the prices will get lower, and the items that give the best experience in the game are costly and keep increasing the skill costs, as these players that buy them have so much gold that legit players will have to work insanely hard to be able to use them.

Grand exchange which is basicly an auction house was added to the game, before you had to trade manually which was good because it created a real community, nowdays if you are wealthy in the game, you can just but tons of items on  constant buy and sell them because the price will go up. And you don't even have to talk to other players to do this.

Runescape is introducing more and more pay to win mechanics, these players that take breaks won't be getting any of the special auras as they reguire you to pay membership nonstop, else you wont get the points to buy them.

Squeal of the fortune which is the main micro payment system in the game you simply can't win most of the promotional items with just using the few free spins you get a day, which is 2, and if you wan't them you are going to have to use your wallet.

The community in the game is nearly dead, as most maxed players, barely play other then bossing, and most of the time they just afk in the lobby and chat with their clan, no activity is happening in the game. Its rather rare to find real players when doing skilling or slayer tasks as most places are filled with bots, the only places you find real players are few higher level slayer tasks and grand exchange which is a trading place in the game. most people in the game barely ever talk and keep their chat off so you can't talk to them either.

New players will find the game incredibly hard due to its ruined economy and merchanting clans making sure to abuse the system as hard as possible, due to hard nature of the game the new players don't stick with the game for long, only very few of them do, thats why runescape playerbase keeps declining because only the old long time players quit because of the massive time invested into the game, but slowly these players are quitting aswell once they reach the maxed status, and the bots just stay.

Most longer runescape players know that the playerbase that used to be as good as 200k active players is now merely 70k active players tops, and 70% of these players are simply bots, ( the bot rate is extremely high because most botters run several bots at same time ) , and only the 30% of players are real players, and this amount keeps getting lower, thats why jagex keeps adding more and more squeal of fortune promotions in order to keep the cash flow steady, but it won't work for long term as the harder they use it, the bigger the pay to win gets.

Runescape seems to favour the botters with making skills easier and easier, reducing the banking distances, making skills one click and then afk, they are making everything so much easier, and the game keeps getting easier and easier, and easier just means its more easier to bot. And makes the game less interesting.

Jagex doesn't seem to do much about bottings because iv seen the same botters i saw 2 years ago still going on at what they do with nearly 100 million xp in the skill, and if you look at the highscores you will find tens of thousands of combat botters for example with 70m attack xp for example and all other stats extremely low.

They don't care much about the botters because majority of players knows that 70% of the playerbase are botters, it means if they banned all bots they would need to ban 40000 active players that pay membership that is average 7 euros a month, that would mean if they banned all bots they would have to lose 280000 euros a month.

And if you weight the value of keeping 30% playerbase happy  with banning all bots or keep all the 100% of the players with the 70% of being bots and not lose the money, it doesn't take a genius which is better for company that is trying to profit, like any other company, this is a reason why they won't do anything about the bots, and will never do anymore.

They keep making excuses and promises to deal with it, but this has been going on for years, the last time they banned bots was in 2011, and never since that and as we saw on the number of players back then, they lost a LOT of money for months as the playerbase dropped by about 60% on the next day of the massive " bot " nuke and it took months for them to come back, so you can imagine how much money they lost, and im sure they realized what a mistake it was trying to deal with it.

Runescape used to have a non so geared based end game, but these days they have added up to level 90 items, and the bosses keep getting stronger and stronger, its going on the direction of the traditional get the gear to do it like most mmorgs, which is just stupid way for this game.

Jagex also is extremely ignorant and won't let you tell your opinion in the game or the forums, if you say anything negative even if its feedback, it gets locked and hidden and you get muted or banned.

Runescape forums are also one of the worst iv seen, you can't say anything there as nearly everything gets locked, which is not how to do things,  but most people don't care about this since its like 30 people that actually post on the forums.

Jagex customer support is also dead, they never answer to any emails or message center messages, they only answer if its billing related.

This is the most evil game you can play, it takes tons of your time and is literally like work, im pretty stupid because it took me years to realize this, the game is not even fun to play as you basicly do the same thing over and over and over again until you get to 99, and it takes months for just one skill. But the saddest part is that, most people just bot it and don't even actually have to work for it to get the same.

Its pretty sad that these days people can scam, abuse, lie, bot, anything pretty much as much as they wan't because jagex only needs your money, they dont care about the state of the game, so nothing gets done about anything, the only rule they onforce is swearing, and its likely mostly to make the game seem friendly for younger players, which its not at all. every day i see younger players getting scammed for items they worked half year for.

Jagex keeps adding pay to win promotions with such as xp lamps, and tredable rares, so these who pay will always get adventage and faster xp rates, theres even items that give you bonus experience from the squeal of fortune, and since its a game you need to invest tons of time to if you wish to get anywhere in the highscores  the paying people will get it faster, and its not actually even possible to get even into top 30% in the highscores for new players anymore because  the people that already are there have thousands of hours invested into it, so you will never be able to get there.

Please do your self a favour and don't play this game, and if you do quit it, theres so much better games out there that don't take your life and gives you nothing in return. You don't want to play a game thats supposed to be online multiplayer game where 70% of the players are programmed bots.  And due to the nature of the game, which is extremely work  oriented the fewy few real players in the game don't seem social and seem to be in bad mood, they won't be chatting either.

Runescape also has lots of scammers and trolls, for example if you die at a boss, the team just takes your stuff and wont give it back, thats how good the community is, people are greedy.

So if you wan't to success in this game, be ready to do 23 hours a day, every day, but you still won't get anywhere in the highscores.

This was my first and last post in the forums, i just wanted to post this because i quit this sad excuse for a game and wanted to warn people not to play it, don't waste your life to this game, your life is worth more.

Bathnor

Hard Core Member

7/06/13 3:29:40 PM#2

Games change over time, it happens to all MMOs. I do not think the bot population is as high as you think. Just because someone doesn't want to talk to you does not mean they are bot. My wife and I have never botted, as we do not want to lose our stuff, yet we get called bots all the time. Its funny actually to mess with people who think you are a bot.

It is hard to get to the top of any MMO that has been out for 12 years. New players will have to grind it out just like we did. I also do not have any problems making money, one just has to know how to do it. I know I'll never be rich in RS, but as long as I'm happy then I don't care about not being rich.

Sounds like you got scammed, you should report them for scamming. There are bad people in every MMO, it is not fair to generalize the entire RS population because you had a bad encounter or a lapse of judgement and got scammed. I have found most of the population to be kind and helpfull.

Helleri

Spotlight Poster

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”- Henry Ford

7/24/13 1:02:30 PM#3
While I would like to give this thread attention towards the ends of clearing some of this up. I can't. Because it is an unbalanced, pessimistic, half-truth rant. And, i have learned the hard way that trying to show lost and jaded people locked up in their own nostalgia how to see both sides of things is a lost cause. All I can say is (I have retyped this 7 times by that way). The OP...if it had been about a person, would have been considered unduly slanderous....That post is simply, poor form.

Place Holder Signature.