Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Star Wars: The Old Republic | EverQuest | Pirate101

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,901,294 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,271,790
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Forum rules update - [mod edit]

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
141 posts found
  huskie77

Advanced Member

2/26/13 7:05:08 AM#41

Try walking into any business and loudly complaining about that business or it's employees. You will be asked to quiet down and/or leave. If you don't the police will be called for harrassment and tresspassing(in the US). Do you know why?

Businesses are private entities that have the right to protect themselves and their interests. Take your complaints to specific complaint forums or become a journalist/blogger.

TruthXHurts

Novice Member

I am here to chew bubblegum and to kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum!

2/26/13 7:13:37 AM#42
Originally posted by huskie77

Try walking into any business and loudly complaining about that business or it's employees. You will be asked to quiet down and/or leave. If you don't the police will be called for harrassment and tresspassing(in the US). Do you know why?

Businesses are private entities that have the right to protect themselves and their interests. Take your complaints to specific complaint forums or become a journalist/blogger.

This is ridiculous. Most likely they will try to buy your silence. You have the right to free speech in America. If I am upset with a company that took my money then I have every right to voice my concerns. They have to worry about their public image as well. If they have an upset customer arrested in front of the other customers what do you think that will do for their image? 

[mod edit]

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

huskie77

Advanced Member

2/26/13 7:26:19 AM#43
No, You don't have a right to free speech on private property(a business) or on a private forum(you had to sign up to use it). Your freedom of speech is limited to public space and the privacy of your own home. Study your rights more closely and lobby to have them changed if you are unhappy.

Sasami

Novice Member

2/26/13 7:26:42 AM#44
Originally posted by TruthXHurts

This is ridiculous. Most likely they will try to buy your silence. You have the right to free speech in America. If I am upset with a company that took my money then I have every right to voice my concerns. They have to worry about their public image as well. If they have an upset customer arrested in front of the other customers what do you think that will do for their image? 

[mod edit]

You might have right outside there property, but if you are inside there place they have all rights to kick you out. Just like protestors can protest outside companies but not inside. Yes McDonalds might give you ice cream if you call there food bad, but most restaurants will just kick you out unless you stop it.

huskie77

Advanced Member

2/26/13 7:49:55 AM#45

The company does accept complaints, suggestions and constructive criticism and has specific threads for it. What they don't allow is for every yahoo to jam up the forums with hundreds of threads that essentially all say the same thing. McDonalds also won't let you enter their store holding signs complaining about them but they are happy to have you fill out a customer service questionaire and suggestion form.

I know it can seem unfair, but I assure you that there is a reason that systems like these are in place.

Doogiehowser

Apprentice Member

2/26/13 8:38:32 AM#46
Originally posted by Snoepie
[mod edit]

Posting your displeasure is welcome but whining, threats, abusive and rude language isn't.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

ktanner3

Master

Trolls will be ignored

2/26/13 8:50:10 AM#47

The company does accept complaints, suggestions and constructive criticism and has specific threads for it. What they don't allow is for every yahoo to jam up the forums with hundreds of threads that essentially all say the same thing. McDonalds also won't let you enter their store holding signs complaining about them but they are happy to have you fill out a customer service questionaire and suggestion form.

I know it can seem unfair, but I assure you that there is a reason that systems like these are in place.

+1

Cry me a river OP.There have been plenty of constructive threads on the forums that deal with issues with the game. The most recent ones dealt with the Gree Event. You're just not allowed to be a rampant child who kicks and screams for everyone's undivided attention by posting the same garbage day in and day out. They'e trying to actually have real discussions about issues with the game, not a bunch of whines and tantrums. 

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

superniceguy

Advanced Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

2/26/13 5:32:03 PM#48

Rules are rules, but the main point the OP is getting at is the fact that they removed these rules due to backlash, and there is an unstickied closed thread, lost throughout the forums somewhere, so the rules are not in plain sight.

The people that are allowed to post are the people paying a sub, so if there is a lot of negativity going on still, then does not show many enjoying the game, and will probably not be able to post within a month!

Swanea

Advanced Member

2/26/13 5:37:59 PM#49

I don't understand.  How is this different then ANY OTHER GAME FORUM OUT?

Even this forum suspends/warns/bans people for these things.

Why is it so much worse for Bioware/EA to do that?  People rip on the game all the time on the forums, but in constructive ways.  People do that to WoW, too.  I just think it's a bit more laxed for WoW because they have SO much more posting there.

Smaller games have always enforced rules a bit more, just because there is so much less to police.  When the game first came out and there were a lot more players/posters, it wasn't nearly as enforced.

I'm sorry, but the more you post about the game, the more you seem to just be bashing it.  Granted, this is the place to do it! But  you claim to be wanting to better the game......?  Most of the posting I've seen just seems people congrulating each other on how much they all hate the game together.

superniceguy

Advanced Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

2/26/13 5:57:58 PM#50
Originally posted by Swanea

Even this forum suspends/warns/bans people for these things.

Why is it so much worse for Bioware/EA to do that?  People rip on the game all the time on the forums, but in constructive ways.  People do that to WoW, too.  I just think it's a bit more laxed for WoW because they have SO much more posting there.

Smaller games have always enforced rules a bit more, just because there is so much less to police.  When the game first came out and there were a lot more players/posters, it wasn't nearly as enforced.

I'm sorry, but the more you post about the game, the more you seem to just be bashing it.  Granted, this is the place to do it! But  you claim to be wanting to better the game......?  Most of the posting I've seen just seems people congrulating each other on how much they all hate the game together.

There is a lot of things wrong  / lacking with SWTOR, that EA/BW are unable to do, plus as I said my previous post - the rules are not in plain sight although were

Wickedjelly

Novice Member

The Dude abides

2/26/13 8:42:05 PM#51
Originally posted by tom_gore
I'll give until the end of 2013 before EA pulls the plug on the servers.

No they won't.

They're still stringing along Warhammer which obviously has way lower net income for them. So why in the hell would they close this game?

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

primetheus

Advanced Member

We come in peace ..Shoot to kill

2/27/13 1:20:38 AM#52

Its not a case of we dont want any critisism of our game its more a case of tell us whats wrong but not in a manner such omg this sucks so bad why didnt they ect.ect..  and more a case of I beleive is X was done this way because of Y  then i would be more inclined to use X or Y

I totaly agree with bioware/Ea for tightning there forum post rules as for to long have haters and whinners rulled the threads with zero constructive feedback

superniceguy

Advanced Member

2/27/13 6:30:12 AM#53
Originally posted by Wickedjelly

No they won't.

They're still stringing along Warhammer which obviously has way lower net income for them. So why in the hell would they close this game?

But does Warhammer require 500k subs ($7.5 million per month) to break even?

If there is plenty people paying and getting them that, then it will carry on, but otherwise it is a financial burden. SWTOR just costs too much to operate.

Doogiehowser

Apprentice Member

2/27/13 6:33:34 AM#54
Originally posted by superniceguy

No they won't.

If there is plenty people paying and getting them that, then it will carry on, but otherwise it is a financial burden. SWTOR just costs too much to operate.

I really doubt you or any other random forum poster knows anything about the current situation and how much it costs them to run SWTOR. The game isn't even that huge anymore or churning out huge content updates that they need a huge staff to run it.   What is left there in SWTOR that requires huge chunk of money now after release?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

2/27/13 6:38:51 AM#55
Originally posted by Distopia

"Haters" vs "fanboys" arguments/unconstructive community commentary"

I so wish every forum I visit would adopt such a policy in regard to this content. It used to be funny to read, now it's just mind-bendingly annoying.

I am always amazed with just how eager both sides always are to Engage in Forum Battle.

Like...it's new or something each time?

Makes them remarkably easy to bait (yes, either side).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

superniceguy

Advanced Member

2/27/13 6:41:16 AM#56
Originally posted by primetheus

Its not a case of we dont want any critisism of our game its more a case of tell us whats wrong but not in a manner such omg this sucks so bad why didnt they ect.ect..  and more a case of I beleive is X was done this way because of Y  then i would be more inclined to use X or Y

I totaly agree with bioware/Ea for tightning there forum post rules as for to long have haters and whinners rulled the threads with zero constructive feedback

They do seem to be only wanting constructive feedback on stuff they can do, and suggestions to make the game better but is beyond their ability to do, also gets wiped.

I bet if the MMORPG articles SWG Features I’d Love to See in SWTOR and The Slippery Slope of SWTOR’s Cartel Market were posted as threads on their forums that would get you banned too.

Many people posted various threads on the SWG forums about improving / changing the game even if it stuff we all knew that could not be done, and SOE stated things would never happen, but they still let it carry on as long it remained civil. If any thread was created in a non constructive way, the thread would get locked/deleted but then told to repost in a constructive manner.

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

2/27/13 6:44:47 AM#57

They do seem to be only wanting constructive feedback

Therein lies the rub.

Forums users (as a general rule) have forgotten how to do that.

IF EA wants a forum with 98% less gab, but what remains are actual attempts at constructive, I think they're entitled to have that.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

superniceguy

Advanced Member

2/27/13 6:46:59 AM#58
Originally posted by Doogiehowser

No they won't.

I really doubt you or any other random forum poster knows anything about the current situation and how much it costs them to run SWTOR. The game isn't even that huge anymore or churning out huge content updates that they need a huge staff to run it.   What is left there in SWTOR that requires huge chunk of money now after release?

It was stated before launch, and it was stated again there on 1st Aug, after the many layoffs and cut backs, and I do not see that fact changing, unless they say so. They can easily say that 500K figure, but seems stupid not to say something else, as that 500K figure gives the impression that game will be shut down if they can not get that many people. If they were to speak again and mention it only needs 200K then it would show the game has more chance of surviving, and more people will be willing to put time and money into it, I know I would. This is the main reason why I am not playing SWTOR as much as I am.

superniceguy

Advanced Member

2/27/13 6:51:41 AM#59
Originally posted by Icewhite

They do seem to be only wanting constructive feedback

Therein lies the rub.

Forums users (as a general rule) have forgotten how to do that.

IF EA wants a forum with 98% less gab, but what remains are actual attempts at constructive, I think they're entitled to have that.

That is not what I was getting at, you cut off the sentence taking it out of context

I was saying they are banning people still for constructive feedback  on things they can not do. 

They only want constructive feedback on things they can do.

Roin

Advanced Member

2/27/13 7:03:19 AM#60
Originally posted by Swanea

Answer: Because it's EA.  Same thing happens with SOE.  As far as most people are concerned. Both companies are the anti-christ that will bring about the end of days.

In War - Victory.
In Peace - Vigilance.
In Death - Sacrifice.

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search