Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Dragon Age: Inquisition | EverQuest | World of Tanks

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,121 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,292,646
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » SWTOR adding Same-Gender-Romance to "some" NPC's (Gay, Lesbian romance)

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
128 posts found
  Karteli

Apprentice Member

OP  1/06/13 7:52:41 PM#21
Originally posted by superniceguy
Originally posted by Paradigm68
Originally posted by Cecropia

I thought this idea was scrapped?

This is a very bad move, and the fact this topic leads to discussions going south, speaks volumes as to why this is bad.

Seriosuly I was thinking I may have bought the expansion, but not if this goes in. If this was in a GTA game, or some adult based game, then that is fine, but this is Star Wars / Disney (kids stuff)- not appropriate.

How is it not appropriate? Are we now shielding our children from the horrors of gays/lesbians? Save the children! Save the children! 

Or were people just all straight a long time ago in a galaxy far away?

Where in Star Wars did this happen?

I am sure some players got together in SWG, but SOE never made the game have it

Really? Are you saying that nothing can be in the games that didn't explicitly happen in the official lore? That is a silly reason to be against it.

Does any disney stuff have this in any of them? I don't think so, and there is a reason why not

Disney is throwing me off here, as I'm trying to follow the conversation.

What does Disney have to do with the (original) Star Wars?  [Zero?]

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

ObiClownobi

Novice Member

1/06/13 8:00:33 PM#22

Disney didn't own the brand when it was first mentioned.

*Disclaimer* I slept with a Twilek Woman on Tython in my time as a Jedi Knight in SWTOR, so same sex is small fry to me.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

Krashner

Novice Member

1/06/13 8:01:23 PM#23
Originally posted by Karteli

This is a very bad move, and the fact this topic leads to discussions going south, speaks volumes as to why this is bad.

Seriosuly I was thinking I may have bought the expansion, but not if this goes in. If this was in a GTA game, or some adult based game, then that is fine, but this is Star Wars / Disney (kids stuff)- not appropriate.

How is it not appropriate? Are we now shielding our children from the horrors of gays/lesbians? Save the children! Save the children! 

Really? Are you saying that nothing can be in the games that didn't explicitly happen in the official lore? That is a silly reason to be against it.

Does any disney stuff have this in any of them? I don't think so, and there is a reason why not

While this is true that Disney had nothing to do with Star Wars when it was made, their word is now law for the franchise. If Disney says that there are no gays in Star Wars then regardless of whether we like it or not it's a fact.

ObiClownobi

Novice Member

1/06/13 8:05:31 PM#24
Originally posted by Krashner

While this is true that Disney had nothing to do with Star Wars when it was made, their word is now law for the franchise. If Disney says that there are no gays in Star Wars then regardless of whether we like it or not it's a fact.

Disney have expensive and well qualified Public Relations people, if same sex relationships were promised before they took over, which option will they choose, annoy a few homophobic geeky gamers or offend the cast of high school musical.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

Traugar

Novice Member

1/06/13 8:13:18 PM#25
Originally posted by Slapshot1188
EA needs to stop wasting energy on stuff like this until they figure out how to actually fix their game.  Most people didn't leave the game because they couldn't "romance" some NPC pixel (of any gender or sexuality).

Actually this being added is what caused me to finally cancel my sub.  So much stuff that is important that needs to be worked on, and they spend time adding crap like this.   

Paradigm68

Novice Member

1/06/13 8:16:00 PM#26
Originally posted by Krashner

Well, I guess that settles is. SW belongs to Disney, Disney's word is law, and they just announced gay romance in SW, so done. So much for the Disney argument.

MMOdad72

Novice Member

1/06/13 8:16:02 PM#27

I can definitely see how spending time and resources adding Same Sex Romances to a Star Wars mmorpg definitely makes more sense than having world pvp and a galactic war between the Empire and Republic.

I definitely think this is the best example of just exactly where EA/Bioware and the moron known as Hickman stand in cluelessness.

User Deleted
1/06/13 8:16:56 PM#28

I think it's good that they're adding them since straight options already exist and it's only fair, but I must say I don't understand why people enjoy these Bioware romance options in the first place? They're painfully cheesy, fade-to-black, crappy generalizations of romance. Not only that, but in SWTOR, the characterization of the companions is so limited that when the time comes it feels like I'm just going to get some sex. I just don't get it. 

Summary of SWTOR romance options:

"Hey, we work good together. I was thinking we should get married."

Or another version:

"Nice shoes. Wanna fuck?" 

Fade-to-black and then you get out of bed and go about your business like nothing happened. 

If they're going to implement romance-y type stuff, then why not build an MMO feature like player marriage with costumes and the whole bit? Maybe you pay a truckload of credits and do something with Legacy. I don't understand why people would do that either, but it'd be a lot better and make more sense in an MMO than reading a trashy, very short romance novel in the form of Bioware cutscenes. 

My 2c. 

NorseGod

Apprentice Member

1/06/13 8:16:59 PM#29
Originally posted by Traugar
EA needs to stop wasting energy on stuff like this until they figure out how to actually fix their game.  Most people didn't leave the game because they couldn't "romance" some NPC pixel (of any gender or sexuality).

Actually this being added is what caused me to finally cancel my sub.  So much stuff that is important that needs to be worked on, and they spend time adding crap like this.  

Exactly. You are not alone.

erictlewis

Novice Member

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

1/06/13 8:17:39 PM#30

Originally posted by Slapshot1188 EA needs to stop wasting energy on stuff like this until they figure out how to actually fix their game.  Most people didn't leave the game because they couldn't "romance" some NPC pixel (of any gender or sexuality).

I also agree of all the things that are broken and needs fixed this was not one of the one. They should be worried about more content, and fixing pvp. As far as another post is yes the official forums did have a thread about this there is 10-13 folks posting they really wanted this. So they are only trying to do this to attract 13 folks.

I wonder how many folks really want this kind of content.

superniceguy

Apprentice Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

1/06/13 8:18:33 PM#31

Disney now own Star Wars, and they are a family entertainment franchise, the same as what Star Wars is meant to be.

If Star Wars or Disney has ever had this in, then I'll take back what I said.

Traugar

Novice Member

1/06/13 8:18:41 PM#32
Originally posted by NorseGod

I couldn't care less about someones sexual preference.  It is a non-issue, but some people insist on letting themselves be identified by their sexuality instead of simply letting their sexuality be part of who they are.  Take a note from Neil Patrick Harris people.  He's gay, but he doesn't dwell on it constantly.  It's simply part of who he is.  George Takei on the other hand can't hold a conversation without it centering on his sexuality.

Aethaeryn

Hard Core Member

1/06/13 8:19:34 PM#33

To those saying it "isn't in Star Wars": 

It is a galaxy far far away. . and a long long time ago. . .even longer with this game than the original trilogy.

There is a species of animal on earth that is born male and then turns hermaphrodidic to create an egg that it then shoots out into the water with sperm to make babies of itself.

Early female eggs (human)  can be turned into sperm in a lab and used to create a baby.  They have space ships and thousands of inhabited planets.  How is there not one organism in that "galaxy" that is far away (but stil presumably in our Universe) that is not similar.  If it can happen on this rock. . it is bound to happen on one of those thousands of rocks with aliens.. . I mean there are Hutts, Jawas (did you ever see a female?). . Sarlacs. . etc.  Jarjar . . 

I could argue that in the films I never saw a female Jawa and asume they were asexual as easily as someone can say because they didn't see same gender relationships in the movies means they didn't exist.

I didn't see anyone use or make reference to a washroom either.  I guess they just wet their pants.  Seriously that argument needs to stop.

It wasn't in the movies because it didn't further the plot etc. and they likely didn't want to go there.  

having said that I could care less if it is included or not.   I would agree that relationships in general should be left out though.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Flaming_MMO

Novice Member

1/06/13 8:20:10 PM#34

If they add this to the game, I might actually give SWTOR a try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7EG7Nqmp3U

Aethaeryn

Hard Core Member

1/06/13 8:20:22 PM#35

I couldn't care less about someones sexual preference.  It is a non-issue, but some people insist on letting themselves be identified by their sexuality instead of simply letting their sexuality be part of who they are.  Take a note from Neil Patrick Harris people.  He's gay, but he doesn't dwell on it constantly.  It's simply part of who he is.  George Takei on the other hand can't hold a conversation without it centering on his sexuality.

I didn't know that a bout Neil Patrick Karris so I guess that helps prove your point. 

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

ObiClownobi

Novice Member

1/06/13 8:21:09 PM#36

Disney now own Star Wars, and they are a family entertainment franchise, the same as what Star Wars is meant to be.

If Star Wars or Disney has ever had this in, then I'll take back what I said.

Star Wars has sexual relationships between humans and bothans, I presume that makes you happy.

NorseGod

Apprentice Member

1/06/13 8:21:16 PM#37
(deleted)
  Paradigm68

Novice Member

1/06/13 8:21:40 PM#38

Interesting point. Now explain why that is an issue for you? Also do you complain about hetero people who constantly go on about their relationships?

ObiClownobi

Novice Member

1/06/13 8:23:49 PM#39
Originally posted by MMOdad72

I can definitely see how spending time and resources adding Same Sex Romances to a Star Wars mmorpg definitely makes more sense than having world pvp and a galactic war between the Empire and Republic.

I definitely think this is the best example of just exactly where EA/Bioware and the moron known as Hickman stand in cluelessness.

They were strongarmed again.

None of this makes sense. Which leads me to believe that the purpose is to establish a normalcy bias to push an agenda into every aspect of our lives.

You could choose not to flirt with the male NPCs if you were more confident in your normalcy.

Traugar

Novice Member

1/06/13 8:24:33 PM#40

Interesting point. Now explain why that is an issue for you? Also do you complain about hetero people who constantly go on about their relationships?

I don't know any that go on constantly about the fact that they are hetero.  Being open and talking about your relationships is not the same thing as going on about the type of relationship you have.  But yes if all a person can talk about is how many "ho's" they get then yes I complain. 

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search