Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,788,759 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,537
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
49 posts found
  azonic69

Apprentice Member

10/05/12 8:44:04 AM#41
Originally posted by LoverNoFighter
Originally posted by Yakamomoto

So.. SWG 2.... When?

:D

Oh how I whish for that day to come.

SWG pre cu > all the crappy MMOs of today.

Yea SWG pre cu was so good that they decided to completely change the game to something else that's how good it was. I'm tired of all the SWG pre cu was the greatest crap. Stop it, the game had it's chance and guess what..... IT FAILED, on every possible level, you might have enjoyed it and I am sure a lot did but guess what it was not enough.

So please just stop posting how SWG was awesome because history and facts proves otherwise. Again you and a few thousands of others might have loved the game and that is great but you were a MINORITY. If the game would have been that great I can guarantee you that it would have been a smashing success.

Just like SWTOR, SWG had one the most known and loved IP, but just like SWTOR it was not a good game for the majority, and like almost anything else majority wins.

So please, again, stop with SWG pre CU was SOOOOOO awesome.

EDIT: Not only did it fail once but it managed to fail twice with the relaunch, I don't know about you but i'd say that a game that had 2 shots and failed both times is not a good game.

Sandbox

Novice Member

10/05/12 8:44:18 AM#42
Just for the record, the village of Aurilia was introduced in August 2004, so it was not a feature of the CU.
  CasualMaker

Advanced Member

Spelling and grammar do matter.I find your lack of real-life skills disturbing.

10/08/12 12:41:08 PM#43
Originally posted by azonic69
Yea SWG pre cu was so good that they decided to completely change the game to something else that's how good it was. I'm tired of all the SWG pre cu was the greatest crap. Stop it, the game had it's chance and guess what..... IT FAILED, on every possible level, you might have enjoyed it and I am sure a lot did but guess what it was not enough.

So please just stop posting how SWG was awesome because history and facts proves otherwise. Again you and a few thousands of others might have loved the game and that is great but you were a MINORITY. If the game would have been that great I can guarantee you that it would have been a smashing success.

SWG was one of the top MMOs of its time. So no, it wasn't anything like a failure. The problem that got us CU and NGE was not some basic fault in SWG, it was simply that WOW re-wrote the metric for success. Suddenly, a bunch of greedy executives were defining WOW as "normal" (instead of the fluke it clearly was), and redefined their own games as failures for not reaching that "new normal". So they tried to grab WOW-numbers by changing their own original properties into WOW-alikes. Which wrecked them.

noncley

Apprentice Member

OP  10/08/12 2:49:42 PM#44
Originally posted by CasualMaker

SWG was one of the top MMOs of its time. So no, it wasn't anything like a failure. The problem that got us CU and NGE was not some basic fault in SWG, it was simply that WOW re-wrote the metric for success. Suddenly, a bunch of greedy executives were defining WOW as "normal" (instead of the fluke it clearly was), and redefined their own games as failures for not reaching that "new normal". So they tried to grab WOW-numbers by changing their own original properties into WOW-alikes. Which wrecked them.

Crucially, Blizzard did what SOE did not - it assigned capital and resources to two key areas of gameplay: bug-fixing and combat-balancing. SOE never understood that investing in those areas was essential to the long-term future of any game.

ignore_me

Apprentice Member

10/08/12 3:02:16 PM#45
Originally posted by Loke666

So.. SWG 2.... When?

Yeah, SWG was the best game ever which its massive player numbers showed... Or not.

SWG did some things really right, like crafting and player owned stores. It also had a lot of features not so great.

A better coded version of SWG with new graphics still wouldnt reach half a million subs, it would take more.

I'm disappointed that you countered the claim of quality where SWG is concerned by talking about how its numbers were not massive. I think those two things can be mutually exclusive, and often were.

Games release progressively stripped of complexity, and have UIs that do everything for you. The features in SWG that were great were typically those things that allowed you to go into more depth in an aspect of play. The things that sucked were largely concerned with combat and the engine.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

ignore_me

Apprentice Member

10/08/12 3:10:34 PM#46
I'm familiar with some of Koster's writings, and SWTOR pretty much farts in the face of every precept of what Koster preaches. The result was that Bioware created a giant peice of garbage, and Koster is being polite about it instead of saying I told you so.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

tiefighter25

Novice Member

10/08/12 3:11:15 PM#47
Originally posted by ignore_me
Originally posted by Loke666

So.. SWG 2.... When?

Yeah, SWG was the best game ever which its massive player numbers showed... Or not.

SWG did some things really right, like crafting and player owned stores. It also had a lot of features not so great.

A better coded version of SWG with new graphics still wouldnt reach half a million subs, it would take more.

I'm disappointed that you countered the claim of quality where SWG is concerned by talking about how its numbers were not massive. I think those two things can be mutually exclusive, and often were.

Games release progressively stripped of complexity, and have UIs that do everything for you. The features in SWG that were great were typically those things that allowed you to go into more depth in an aspect of play. The things that sucked were largely concerned with combat and the engine.

SWG held 250-300 thousand subscribers for over 2 years; a feat I doubt that SWTOR will ever achieve.

KyngBills

Apprentice Member

10/08/12 3:16:05 PM#48
Originally posted by ignore_me
I'm familiar with some of Koster's writings, and SWTOR pretty much farts in the face of every precept of what Koster preaches. The result was that Bioware created a giant peice of garbage, and Koster is being polite about it instead of saying I told you so.

Exactly...

gervaise1

Elite Member

10/08/12 3:24:07 PM#49
Originally posted by CasualMaker

Largely agree. The only comment I would add is that I always had the impression that SWG was marked down as a failure before WoW launched - maybe because it failed to reach EQ1's subscription level. SWG was only a failure measured against some lofty ideal - or maybe the level of royalties being paid to LA.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search