Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Marvel Heroes | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,922,149 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,315,175
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Trent Oster Thinks Fans Negativity and EA Drove Muzyka and Zeschuk from Bioware

10 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
187 posts found
  superniceguy

Novice Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

9/28/12 5:14:54 PM#21
Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Well, time will tell. BioWare was always about story and I hope that story it is what they will deliver...

I have to say  that I prefer to get story 1000x more then bousing etc. And I am willing to wait for it.

The point is those other MMOs got story and houses, attracting many more people

Without The Doctors, any new story now will not be as good as what there is. Time for flying ewoks now ;)

Sevenstar61

Hard Core Member

"But it was so artistically done..." - Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words

OP  9/28/12 5:21:18 PM#22
Originally posted by Karteli
Originally posted by superniceguy
We got new operation few days ago and new warzone in coming. Makeb is coming. So we getting new stuff.

That should have been in months ago, with 1.2, they are just spreading content out to keep players playing, as can not afford to create new stuff now

Also all that content is what you have to pay for. Me personally am not interested in Operation and Warzones, it is just more of the same.

So... the only game which has to have unlimited content or be hated is SWTOR. Show me any game that released within one year that does not have problem with content after 9 months after release.

People burn through content and get bored. Normal in every MMO. Play other game until content arrives. Simple as that.

Well there were other games with content 9 months after release, but even in the case of WoW and EQ, their player base didn't suffer immensively.  WoW was adding stuff for instance (back in their glory days before Activision).

That data though is immaterial, since you said people get bored and play other games.  This is true, but people are not returning to SWTOR, and this directly relates to EA's lying and abuse of their customers.  Rated Battle grounds to come out in 1.2 .. nope day before, no it's not, just kidding! .. But we are working on everything you could possibly imagine to make you happy, it's Coming Soon! .. please don't unsubscribe.

SWTOR .. :(

Subscribe if you enjoy the game , unsubscribe if you don't. Then move on. Come back when you find out more content is delivered or if you want to roll and try another toon.

It's amazing how people don't give a chance for game to grow in case of SWTOR.

Hatred on these forums made people not even want to try it, and many unsubscribed because it was a shame to play this game.

You play SWTOR? Are you an idiot?

There is not one positive thread on this forum about SWTOR. And for many people this game is great, unforgetable experience. 

Oh well. I love this game and I will continue to love it. :)  I just hope all this hate will find another target LOL

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Karteli

Apprentice Member

9/28/12 5:36:56 PM#23
We got new operation few days ago and new warzone in coming. Makeb is coming. So we getting new stuff.

That should have been in months ago, with 1.2, they are just spreading content out to keep players playing, as can not afford to create new stuff now

Also all that content is what you have to pay for. Me personally am not interested in Operation and Warzones, it is just more of the same.

So... the only game which has to have unlimited content or be hated is SWTOR. Show me any game that released within one year that does not have problem with content after 9 months after release.

People burn through content and get bored. Normal in every MMO. Play other game until content arrives. Simple as that.

Well there were other games with content 9 months after release, but even in the case of WoW and EQ, their player base didn't suffer immensively.  WoW was adding stuff for instance (back in their glory days before Activision).

That data though is immaterial, since you said people get bored and play other games.  This is true, but people are not returning to SWTOR, and this directly relates to EA's lying and abuse of their customers.  Rated Battle grounds to come out in 1.2 .. nope day before, no it's not, just kidding! .. But we are working on everything you could possibly imagine to make you happy, it's Coming Soon! .. please don't unsubscribe.

Subscribe if you enjoy the game , unsubscribe if you don't. Then move on. Come back when you find out more content is delivered or if you want to roll and try another toon.

Hatred on these forums made people not even want to try it, and many unsubscribed because it was a shame to play this game.

There is not one positive thread on this forum about SWTOR. And for many people this game is great, unforgetable experience. 

Oh well. I love this game and I will continue to love it. :)  I just hope all this hate will find another target LOL

Didn't give this game a chance to grow ??  Are you mad?  Players have been continually giving this game a chance to grow, but when they see zero effort, they tend to move on.

Many unsubscribed becaue it was a shame to play this game.  /agree why play a game you are ashamed of playing?

I played SWTOR and it could have been a great game.  Be realistic though.  It wasn't.  The game released with an inferior graphics engine that lagged and stuttered.  The gameplay was nothing Star Wars, but more World of Warcraft.  The game wasn't about ruling the universe (outside of quest stories), it was about continually paying for gear that was 5-10% better than before.  Nowhere in star wars did I see an ordinary person becoming a Jedi because they slayed 10,000 other living beings, some of which were innocent animals, to gain experience.

The cross ability features of Legacy are a joke.  A smuggler (non force person) getting the ability to use Force powers?  .. because on the same account there was a Jedi? Ugh so lame.

Many people gave this game a chance, and it just didn't live up to hype or expectations.  It also wasn't very Star Wars'y.

If this changes, hey thats news!  But until then, it's a "stay away" game for more gamers and even SW fans.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

superniceguy

Novice Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

9/28/12 5:45:12 PM#24

There is no negativity with SWTOR, just the ugly truth.  I mean 1.5 million people are not going to buy a game with knowing it having a monthly fee, and then just ditch it - waste of money. The mass exodus of players speaks louder than any negativity.

WOW gets all the negativity - loads of complaints but yet millions still play it

nyxium

Novice Member

Tumbling down the rabbit hole?

9/28/12 6:12:10 PM#25
The game also launched during one of the most catastrophic times of economic depression and collapse internationally. I feel that was a major effect on people's buying power no matter what some may say that people can afford to buy a game and a sub the times are hard and many obviously go for penny saving alternatives of f2p like LOTRO or B2P with GW / GW2. SWTOR was defeated not just by negativity, and it has been noted that was there, and in some cases a lot of negativity because of bugs, etc. But also because of the very nasty world economy, if it can be called that, more like world debt problem which is still unresolved and growing (sinking?) into the many triliions now.

red_cruiser

Advanced Member

9/28/12 6:22:59 PM#26
Well, if Casper the Star-Ghost and WoW + Cutscenes is the best that they can come up with, than I think it was high time they left the business, anyways.  Dragon Age has such a terrible world, but I was digging Mass Effect, up until the end.  Right now, I don't even bother keeping abreast of whatever projects BioWare is developing.
  FrodoFragins

Hard Core Member

9/28/12 6:25:40 PM#27
All the troubles started when they joined EA. There could have been no negativity if they were not with EA. EA are the root cause

Not if the products they released for their last two games were the same or very similar.

Sevenstar61

Hard Core Member

"But it was so artistically done..." - Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words

OP  9/28/12 6:26:37 PM#28
Originally posted by red_cruiser
Well, if Casper the Star-Ghost and WoW + Cutscenes is the best that they can come up with, than I think it was high time they left the business, anyways.  Dragon Age has such a terrible world, but I was digging Mass Effect, up until the end.  Right now, I don't even bother keeping abreast of whatever projects BioWare is developing.

LOL imo story is awesome. The game is not for you, I feel here almost like GW2 fan with this comment. Why posting on this forum then if you don't keep track of bioWare games. Get over it. Is it so HARD?. 

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

tank017

Novice Member

9/28/12 6:28:30 PM#29
Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Maybe they shouldn't have made a shitty game.

I don't feel bad for them.  Not one damn bit.

Especially when they're both walking away multi millionaires......booooo hoooo
  Elikal

Spotlight Poster

“No path is darker then when your eyes are shut.” -Flemeth

9/28/12 6:28:50 PM#30

Poor, poor millionaires... they felt pressured by fan rage? Boohoohoo!

CRY ME A RIVER!

WELL GIVE ME YOUR MILLIONS and I will sit that out for 100 years! I never seen THEM on any forum or reacting to anyone! Instead their cronies always said to EVERY single critique "Ohhh we are SOO intelligent, our brains are SO BIG, we know better!" Well, know my ass!

The damn sunk ANOTHER Star Wars MMO, with the way biggest budget ever! My compassion with them is somewhere to freezing point!

A forum is a place where people can discuss about different opinions. So what I don't get is, how people react offended when they come to a forum and then find... well different opinions. If a different opinion offends you, what are you even doing here?

erictlewis

Advanced Member

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

9/28/12 6:29:33 PM#31
Originally posted by nyxium
The game also launched during one of the most catastrophic times of economic depression and collapse internationally. I feel that was a major effect on people's buying power no matter what some may say that people can afford to buy a game and a sub the times are hard and many obviously go for penny saving alternatives of f2p like LOTRO or B2P with GW / GW2. SWTOR was defeated not just by negativity, and it has been noted that was there, and in some cases a lot of negativity because of bugs, etc. But also because of the very nasty world economy, if it can be called that, more like world debt problem which is still unresolved and growing (sinking?) into the many triliions now.

I cant blame the economy for this.  I did not quit the game because I could not afford to play.  I quit the game because it was a pos. My money went elsewhere, but not because of the economy,  but because I refuse to reward ea/bioware with my money for a game that I felt lacked a lot of what star wars should be.

Now for some that are unemployed and sitting at home playing games and collecting an unemployment check it might have matters, but 1.5 million folks quit, its not due to the economy.  It is due to a myriad of reasons that might be different for everybody.  I think the economy is on the low end of the list.

Ice-Queen

Hard Core Member

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

9/28/12 6:33:56 PM#32
Originally posted by erictlewis

The total failure of swtor is what drove them out.    All I can say is if you make a pos game and folks complain about it, and the devs dont listen that is their fault.  We told them how bad it was in beta.

The way I see it if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

I don't blame them for leaving, best to do it before the ship sinks and before it goes free to play.

^^Exactly this^^

We told them in beta all the problems and all the features the game lacked and people would want them. We told them of the lifeless worlds that felt like there was no heart put into them, we told them of how horrid the game ran, even on rigs that should blow it out of the water, we told them of the abysmal loading screens, and so much more. The devs basicaly told us we had no clue and continued on their way.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

Karteli

Apprentice Member

9/28/12 6:39:32 PM#33

I know, right, this is so the case.

I mean 2.5 million people bought the game, even with Collectors Editions, and they knew ahead of time that there would be a $15 / month charge .. but 2 million players just suddenly quit after paying the up-front door fee of $60-$150 .. suddenly $15 became too expensive, yes, it is all the economy's fault.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  It is so irrelevant that gamers bought a $60 game and did not choose to subscribe.  As a whole, anyone who spends $60-$150 on a video game is automatically in dept now and can't afford $15 a month to continue their progress.

gervaise1

Elite Member

9/28/12 6:58:53 PM#34

Must be why Skyrim bombed ...

SWTOR was / is a poor mmo. All it basically had was story - so it was never going to keep up. Blizzard said they were struggling to keep up with providing new content 12 months ago and they run with multiple teams. Crucially though they - and many other mmo's - have "other stuff to do" - not saying it is all good but. Content was both SWTOR's strength and its Achille's Heel.

As far as the two docs leaving: pressure. Bioware has been underperforming. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, SWTOR. And EA as a whole are underperforming - NBA's release cancelled again for example; PopCap Dublin studios closed. This stuff = corporate pressure. Running a happy division is much easier than running in a time of doom, gloom and having to oversee firings and layoffs and whip cracking.

They have lots of money - and have left to enjoy the fruits of their (earlier) successes. 

Yakamomoto

Apprentice Member

9/28/12 7:16:45 PM#35

EA, EA, EA, blame EA, derp

Did EA create the railshooter? Did EA chose the Hero Engine? Did EA think it's a cool idea to have planets frozen in time with stiff NPCs?

Get over it, BW dropped the ball, EA is a freakin' publisher and not the game developer

Ice-Queen

Hard Core Member

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

9/28/12 7:17:54 PM#36
Originally posted by Yakamomoto

Did EA create the railshooter? Did EA chose the Hero Engine? Did EA think it's a cool idea to have planets frozen in time with stiff NPCs?

Get over it, BW dropped the ball, EA is a freakin' publisher and not the game developer

Spot on

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

superniceguy

Novice Member

9/28/12 7:22:56 PM#37

Apparently Bioware were taking ages with the game, which is not new to Bioware, Mass Effect 1 took 2 years longer than its initial expected release date. EA stepped in, and got Bioware to ditch stuff, and had no time to make the worlds more lifelike, so the game could get released

That is how EA affected things

Karteli

Apprentice Member

9/28/12 7:26:42 PM#38

EA owns BioWare, they have owned the company since 2007.  When you say BW dropped the ball, you mean EA dropped the ball , which they did.

EA owns BioWare.

[mod edit]

Yakamomoto

Apprentice Member

9/28/12 7:33:56 PM#39

Apparently Bioware were taking ages with the game, which is not new to Bioware, Mass Effect 1 took 2 years longer than its initial expected release date. EA stepped in, and got Bioware to ditch stuff, and had no time to make the worlds more lifelike, so the game could get released

That is how EA affected things

uh-huh, now a year later, BW still had no time to improve ANYTHING on the planets? Because of... let me guess, EA?

Well they finally figured out how shadows with smooth outlines work! Amazing!  Perhaps TOR will finally look like a 2012 game - in 2018

User Deleted
9/28/12 7:37:14 PM#40

Link

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/09/28/trent-oster-thinks-fans-negativity-and-ea-drove-muzyka-and-zeschuk-from-bioware/

I would say I am not surprised that they would want to quit because of fan negativity. SWTOR "fans" venom could kill every body.

The fans had good reason.

I played SWTOR for 8 months. I advocated and supported and at the end of it all, it came down to SWTOR being a reasonably good game that certainly had issues but suffered most from developers not listening to the community. There were countless issues brought up in various betas MONTHS before release. Those bugs and issues were there at release. Stupid shit like being unable to add someone to your friends list unless they were online. The pvp side of things suffered from being helmed by the same guys that screwed up Warhammer Online. Many of the problems and mistakes exposed in Warhammer Online were outright copied whole into SWTOR where they, unsurprisingly, were just as unworkable and unpopular. You had developers trying to interact with the community and support a game that it was patently obvious they DIDN'T ACTUALLY PLAY.

I'm sure the good Dr's were wonderful men and it's a sad shame BW's efforts with SWTOR failed so badly and ultimately caused their departure. But they were in charge and it's no excuse that they weren't directly coding the game. They're the bosses, it was their damn job to make sure it was successful. 

Seriously, you take widely respected studio such as BW, you give them an IP that is practically a license to print money and you throw the backing of EA's deep pockets at it and you get..... what we got.

10 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search