Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,272 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,933
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » Reviews & Impressions » What really killed this game

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
156 posts found
  MosesZD

Novice Member

3/02/12 10:17:28 AM#41
Originally posted by Anubisan

Let me just go ahead and /thread this for everyone.

What really killed this game? NOTHING. It is still doing fine and tons of people are playing it. It will not die anytime soon no matter how much certain vocal people on these forums want it to.

We get that you don't like the game, but that does not mean that it is dead. You cannot stop people from enjoying the game just because you personally are disappointed by it. I suggest that you all try to find some game that you actually DO enjoy rather than waste any more of your time on this forum. Oh, that's right... there aren't any games you actually like. That must really suck.

I remember the AoC people saying the same thing...   Then one day, they too stopped.      I remember the Warhammer people saying the same thing.   Then one day, they too stopped.

What this game will do is hang on as a zombie MMO.   Like all these million plus selling MMOS -- Warhammer (100k), AoC (110K),  SWG:NGE (50k),  EQ (110K) and EQ2 (100K).    All these games sold at least a million boxes in their lives.  Some of them in the first two months.  

But it's destined to be a failure, like so many others...     And we can say this with certainty because the sales are so far in the toliet this game cannot sustain even high-quality player churn like Eve Online, never mind the King of Retention -- WarCraft. 

Occassionally, like many zombie MMOs,  every few years it'll get a bit of an update.   And, within time, it'll go in multi-tier F2P like DCUO, EQ, EQ2 AoC, etc...  It will have  a resurgence, but it won't be all that significant.

And BioWare will never recoup the money they put into this game.     At a best case scenario they needed to sell 6 million copies to break even.   The only western MMO to do that is WoW.   And this ain't no WoW.   Well, except they copies WoW...

Superduper69

Novice Member

3/02/12 10:18:56 AM#42
Originally posted by MosesZD
Originally posted by Anubisan

Let me just go ahead and /thread this for everyone.

What really killed this game? NOTHING. It is still doing fine and tons of people are playing it. It will not die anytime soon no matter how much certain vocal people on these forums want it to.

We get that you don't like the game, but that does not mean that it is dead. You cannot stop people from enjoying the game just because you personally are disappointed by it. I suggest that you all try to find some game that you actually DO enjoy rather than waste any more of your time on this forum. Oh, that's right... there aren't any games you actually like. That must really suck.

I remember the AoC people saying the same thing...   Then one day, they too stopped.      I remember the Warhammer people saying the same thing.   Then one day, they too stopped.

What this game will do is hang on as a zombie MMO.   Like all these million plus selling MMOS -- Warhammer (100k), AoC (110K),  SWG:NGE (50k),  EQ (110K) and EQ2 (100K).    All these games sold at least a million boxes in their lives.  Some of them in the first two months.  

But it's destined to be a failure, like so many others...     And we can say this with certainty because the sales are so far in the toliet this game cannot sustain even high-quality player churn like Eve Online, never mind the King of Retention -- WarCraft. 

Occassionally, like many zombie MMOs,  every few years it'll get a bit of an update.   And, within time, it'll go in multi-tier F2P like DCUO, EQ, EQ2 AoC, etc...  It will have  a resurgence, but it won't be all that significant.

And BioWare will never recoup the money they put into this game.     At a best case scenario they needed to sell 6 million copies to break even.   The only western MMO to do that is WoW.   And this ain't no WoW.   Well, except they copies WoW...

Sales have been in toilet for SWTOR? what?

MosesZD

Novice Member

3/02/12 10:21:01 AM#43
Originally posted by bigsmiff

Hmmm...it's letting me log in right now. That's strange

Seriously..why are people killing this game off? My guild has gotten 5 brand spanking new players in the last 2 days and all of my friends are still loving the game. I am seeing a rise in population on Sith Wyrm server so Bioware must have given us a different game then what everyone else is playing.

No you're not.   The actual hard data says other wise.   What you have is classic confrimation bias and anecdote.   You can see a local increase, but that doesn't mean the server increased as a whole.

Your server barely makes 'heavy' and when it does, it's for minutes, not hours.    It spends over 50% of it's time in light.    It wasn't like that January 8th.    It was far, far more populated.

MMOarQQ

Novice Member

"Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain."

3/02/12 10:21:24 AM#44
Originally posted by Reas43
So I was at the park this past weekend. And while I relaxed watching the leaves I noticed from the corner of my eye this guy surrounded by 4 gorgeous girls, tossing hundred dollar bills in the air and hating the girls toss champagne and living it off his face.
Dude was having a ball.
Then this other guy, smelling rather rancid and pushing a cart fixates his eyes on mine and starts screaming - " see that man?!? He's dead. He is not alive! He was born destined to failure! Don't you see him! He's a cadaver!"
Soo I look at the guy and one of the girls in now pouring champagne on his ties then sucking them.
Rancid-Man goes on "see! He's not really there! He's rotting in a tomb somewhere!"
So I tell him "dude, he's pretty much alive and having a ball."
Rancid-Man replies: "But he's going to die! He's destined to die for being successful."
So I tell him "dude, we're all destined to die. But it seems kinda fun to be very much alive like that while it lasts."
Rancid-Man, unfazed, kept on pushing his cart trying to convince all onlookers that playboy-man was actually a corpse, and was not even there.

I heard the laughter of the girls in the background. And then I woke up

Three of the four girls had dumped him once he ran out of hundreds to toss, and had settled for a more handsome and functional man. When all of the charms of playboy's flaunting had gotten old, all knew he was nothing by a half-baked douchebag.

... he also shot himself in the face after failing an AIDS test later that month.

- Fin

ComfyChair

Novice Member

3/02/12 10:22:01 AM#45

SW:ToR has sold roughly 250k copies in two months.

That's what he means (i assume) by 'in the toilet'. After the initial rush, it hasn't sold much at all compared to what they need to to keep the subscriber level above 500k.

The game isn't a failure though, they'd have broken even by now.

grimal

Spotlight Poster

3/02/12 10:22:01 AM#46
And this ain't no WoW.   Well, except they copies WoW...

This makes me LOL.

"I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you." - Robin Williams

Thorkune

Spotlight Poster

Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!

3/02/12 10:22:47 AM#47
Originally posted by Creslin321

Seriously..why are people killing this game off? My guild has gotten 5 brand spanking new players in the last 2 days and all of my friends are still loving the game. I am seeing a rise in population on Sith Wyrm server so Bioware must have given us a different game then what everyone else is playing.

Doesn't look like it...

http://www.torstatus.net/sith-wyrm/history/7d#!/sith-wyrm/history/30d

So my vision doesn't count? And my new guildies are my imagination? The Republic fleet has been steadily growing in pop. for the past week or so. It is funny that those sites weren't accurate when the numbers were growing. Now that they show a decrease, it is accurate right?

Thorkune

Spotlight Poster

Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!

3/02/12 10:23:58 AM#48

No you're not.   The actual hard data says other wise.   What you have is classic confrimation bias and anecdote.   You can see a local increase, but that doesn't mean the server increased as a whole.

Your server barely makes 'heavy' and when it does, it's for minutes, not hours.    It spends over 50% of it's time in light.    It wasn't like that January 8th.    It was far, far more populated.

But calling it "killed"...come on

ComfyChair

Novice Member

3/02/12 10:25:32 AM#49

So my vision doesn't count? And my new guildies are my imagination? The Republic fleet has been steadily growing in pop. for the past week or so. It is funny that those sites weren't accurate when the numbers were growing. Now that they show a decrease, it is accurate right?

I don't know what bullshit 'fanboys' and 'haters' have been throwing around in here over time, but SW:ToR definitely has a shrinking population and has had so since after the initial sales boom. Local increases don't count for a lot. My guild went from 5 members to 90 in 2 months in GW1 in 2008, but that was after all the expansions, when work was being done on GW2 :) The whole game hadn't drastically increased in playercount just because my guild saw an 18x increase in size.

But, indeed, like the poster said, it's not dead and wont be for a long time. Will it need to go F2P? Yes. GW2 is the nail in the coffin for subs. Unless you're the worlds biggest fanboy you can't keep a straight face while saying other MMO's offer enough to justify £10 a month over GW2. Even Blizzard know that with the whole rumour of them adopting a F2P business model for Titan. It'll be great to see subs go though, it's an unnecessary expense.

Superduper69

Novice Member

3/02/12 10:26:47 AM#50

There we go again..the mythical data. Where is it?

grimal

Spotlight Poster

3/02/12 10:27:28 AM#51
Originally posted by ComfyChair

I don't know what bullshit 'fanboys' and 'haters' have been throwing around in here over time, but SW:ToR definitely has a shrinking population and has had so since after the initial sales boom. Local increases don't count for a lot. My guild went from 5 members to 90 in 2 months in GW1 in 2008, but that was after all the expansions, when work was being done on GW2 :) The whole game hadn't drastically increased in playercount just because my guild saw an 18x increase in size.

But, indeed, like the poster said, it's not dead and wont be for a long time.

Every MMO sees a decrease in activity after the initial month or two.

MosesZD

Novice Member

3/02/12 10:28:12 AM#52
Originally posted by Superduper69

Trend analysis.  

Sold 1.75 million first two weeks.

Sold 284 thousand in January.

Sold  112 (approx, final numbers not adjusted) in February.

Average weekly decline in sales is 31% in decline from the previous week (starting from week ending January 7th, it'd be far worse if I started from inception).   Example series to illustrate: 

100K sales Week 1. 

69K sales Week 2.  

48k sales Week 3.

33k sales Week 4.

23k sales Week 5.

In real-life the curve isn't as smooth.   T

MosesZD

Novice Member

3/02/12 10:29:29 AM#53
Originally posted by grimal

Not true.   Not even close.    LOTRO didn't.   Took years.   WoW took even longer.   Eve keeps growing.  Lineage and Lineage II grew for years and year and years before losing players.  

And there are more examples to disprove this old canard.

ComfyChair

Novice Member

3/02/12 10:30:28 AM#54
Originally posted by grimal

Every MMO recently definitely has (because the cycle is normally WoW player -> tries new MMO that's basically WoW in a different skin from a mechanics standpoint -> goes back to WoW). It's not always been the case though.

SW:ToR has done well enough to justify it's costs though and for US players the servers are full enough to enjoy the game. Not the case for EU though, that's something Bioware need to do something about. Heavy server merges are needed for EU.

Superduper69

Novice Member

3/02/12 10:31:15 AM#55

Trend analysis.  

Average weekly decline in sales is 31% in decline from the previous week (starting from week ending January 7th, it'd be far worse if I started from inception).   Example series to illustrate: 

100K sales Week 1. 

69K sales Week 2.  

48k sales Week 3.

33k sales Week 4.

23k sales Week 5.

No single MMO stays consistent with sales after release. That is why the sales of MMOs are counted over years not days or weeks. Even WOW started growing well after period of 4 to 5 years. MMOS do not work like single player games which are sold on multiple platofrms. For a pc game SWTOR has sold damn well at release.

Trend analysis ... *rolls eyes*

MosesZD

Novice Member

3/02/12 10:32:32 AM#56

There we go again..the mythical data. Where is it?

lol.  You were shown   You refused to look.   Now you call it a myth.  You're simply hopeless.  Or extremely dishonest.  Don't know.  Don't care.  Talking with you is as pointless as it gets.

ComfyChair

Novice Member

3/02/12 10:32:37 AM#57

No single MMO stays consistent with sales after release. That is why the sales of MMOs are counted over years not days or weeks. Even WOW started growing well after period of 4 to 5 years. MMOS do not work like single player games which are sold on multiple platofrms. For a pc game SWTOR has sold damn well at release.

WoW only started growing in 2010?

That's news to me!

Creslin321

Spotlight Poster

3/02/12 10:33:16 AM#58
Originally posted by Creslin321

Doesn't look like it...

http://www.torstatus.net/sith-wyrm/history/7d#!/sith-wyrm/history/30d

No, they count, but your vision is just a small subset of the entire server.  It doesn't represent the server as a whole.

For example, my neighborhood could be growing while the city as a whole is drastically shrinking. 

And yes, they should be accurate.  They just measure the server's "status" as presented by Bioware over time.  I.e. light, standard, heavy, very heavy, full

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

grimal

Spotlight Poster

3/02/12 10:33:45 AM#59

Not true.   Not even close.    LOTRO didn't.   Took years.   WoW took even longer.   Eve keeps growing.  Lineage and Lineage II grew for years and year and years before losing players.  

And there are more examples to disprove this old canard.

LOTRO did see a decrease in population after first couple months.  I know.  I have been playing that since beta and saw that exodus happen personally.  (I remember having a fully populated "online" friends list in the first month...after that, I never saw those friends login again)  That's not to say the population didn't increase again, of course it did.

WoW is the exception to this.  But every other MMO typically sees a drop off of players after the first month of release.

Creslin321

Spotlight Poster

3/02/12 10:34:36 AM#60

Trend analysis.  

100K sales Week 1. 

69K sales Week 2.  

48k sales Week 3.

33k sales Week 4.

23k sales Week 5.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

WoW is the green line that rises far above everything else.  It obviously was in a period of explosive growth for years.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search