Trending Games | Pirate101 | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Guild Wars 2 | The Secret World

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,274 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,269,352
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » I love Star Wars, but combat / animations are important to me.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
27 posts found
  Gorwe

Elite Member

Joined: 9/16/11
Posts: 1828

5/09/14 4:41:37 AM#21
LoTR or Hobbit? Because I am pretty sure that there are no cars in LoTR. But that streaming pile which poses as "the Hobbit"-everything's possible. And if in the actual LoTR-where?

As for the OP:

Story, combat(animations + concept), art, VOs. These are the strong points of Tor. In that exact order. Idk what you meant by the hits not connecting(could be an engine issue). While I agree that you can't feel your hits connecting like in Aion or TERA or whatever with Cry/UT/Havoc engine, those games lack something way more important: soul. The same reason why one would play wow or LoTRO over the likes of Rift etc. Idk, try it for yourself instead of watching movies on YT?
  MrMelGibson

Hard Core Member

Joined: 12/13/13
Posts: 485

5/09/14 6:42:01 AM#22
Originally posted by asmkm22
Originally posted by Mkilbride

Really? But all the trailers / gameplay videos I've seen look terrible.

 

Like you literally see the attack entirely miss the enemy, but they still get hit. I know this isn't free-combat, but I should at least see the attack -connect-.

I don't generally watch videos of other people playing games, so I can't really comment on that.  I can say that combat feels very solid.  I mean, there's only so much you can really do in an MMO. so it's not like every hit results in ragdoll physics or anything, but it feels a ton better than most everything else.

What's weird is that when I first played it, I had been used to thinking WoW had some really tight and fluid animations and combat.  It wasn't until after I stopped playing SWtOR and went back to WoW for a bit, that I realized just how good SWtOR's combat really feels.  Compared to it, WoW feels very bland.

I completely agree.  I personally prefer action combat like Tera.  But, the tab target combat in SWTOR is a lot of fun.  It's also very fluid and all the abilities feel like they have a purpose.  Like someone above me said about the Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight.  They are mirror classes, but the animations have different icons.  The abilities also look different in the animations.  Even just the way a jedi runs with a lightsaber compared to a sith shows the level of attention to detail.

 

Just for example.  The sith warrior has Force scream ( a ranged dps ability).  The Jedi knight has a similar ability that does the same thing.  But, the Jedi has blade storm (if you've ever played Tera and a slayer, think Distance blade).

 

Here's the good news.  The game is F2P.  So, you won't lose anything but time if you download the game and give it a shot.  If you find the game not to your liking.  Just uninstall, and move on.

 

  Impacthound

Advanced Member

Joined: 2/26/14
Posts: 263

5/09/14 9:12:06 AM#23
Originally posted by Gorwe
LoTR or Hobbit? Because I am pretty sure that there are no cars in LoTR. But that streaming pile which poses as "the Hobbit"-everything's possible. And if in the actual LoTR-where?

It was the first movie, Fellowship of the Ring. It's really small, but driving in the background in one of the scenes leaving the Shire. You can probably find it on youtube since it was likely edited out of newer releases and special editions.

  chopgr

Novice Member

Joined: 3/01/09
Posts: 178

Wealth is too precious
to be entrusted
to the rich.

5/09/14 9:48:24 AM#24
Originally posted by Mkilbride
Hence why I've never downloaded the game. Every video I've watched shows animations that'd have been embarassing in the 90's. Has it changed?

Welcome to 2011. You are late by 3 years.

 

To stay intopic, no it hasnt changed. Things like that DONT change in games.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chopgr?feature=mhee

"The Heavens burned, the stars
cried out
And under the ashes of infinity,
Hope, scarred and bleeding,
breathed its last."

  Archlyte

Elite Member

Joined: 4/21/14
Posts: 280

^Avatar Stylized for Longevity, Frame Rate, & Maturity

5/09/14 11:59:22 AM#25
One thing that has always bothered me is the way blaster bolts seek their target if it is moving. I'm sure they did this so the shot always appears to be leaving the barrel straight, but it looks kind of dumb sometimes.
  jesteralways

Elite Member

Joined: 3/17/13
Posts: 640

5/09/14 12:03:44 PM#26

Originally posted by Mkilbride
Hence why I've never downloaded the game. Every video I've watched shows animations that'd have been embarassing in the 90's. Has it changed?


Originally posted by Mkilbride

Really? But all the trailers / gameplay videos I've seen look terrible.

 

Like you literally see the attack entirely miss the enemy, but they still get hit. I know this isn't free-combat, but I should at least see the attack -connect-.


You are barking up the wrong tree. Try  playing some console rpg instead. Not trying to be rude here just stating the fact. Combat mechanic of swtor is no different from WoW and animations are not always how they should be because of the combat mechanics, if combat animation is really that important you should limit yourself to console rpg. 

i want an open world, no phasing, no instancing.i want meaningful owpvp.i want player driven economy.i want meaningful crafting.i want awesome exploration, a sense of thrill.i want ow housing with a meaningful effect on my entire gameplay experience, not just some instanced crap.i want all of these free of cost, i don't wanna pay you a cent, game devs can eat grass and continue developing game for me.
Seems like that is the current consensus of western mmo players.

  heider89

Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/13
Posts: 128

5/09/14 12:47:05 PM#27
Originally posted by MrMelGibson

I don't generally watch videos of other people playing games, so I can't really comment on that.  I can say that combat feels very solid.  I mean, there's only so much you can really do in an MMO. so it's not like every hit results in ragdoll physics or anything, but it feels a ton better than most everything else.

What's weird is that when I first played it, I had been used to thinking WoW had some really tight and fluid animations and combat.  It wasn't until after I stopped playing SWtOR and went back to WoW for a bit, that I realized just how good SWtOR's combat really feels.  Compared to it, WoW feels very bland.

I completely agree.  I personally prefer action combat like Tera.  But, the tab target combat in SWTOR is a lot of fun.  It's also very fluid and all the abilities feel like they have a purpose.  Like someone above me said about the Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight.  They are mirror classes, but the animations have different icons.  The abilities also look different in the animations.  Even just the way a jedi runs with a lightsaber compared to a sith shows the level of attention to detail.

 

Just for example.  The sith warrior has Force scream ( a ranged dps ability).  The Jedi knight has a similar ability that does the same thing.  But, the Jedi has blade storm (if you've ever played Tera and a slayer, think Distance blade).

 

Here's the good news.  The game is F2P.  So, you won't lose anything but time if you download the game and give it a shot.  If you find the game not to your liking.  Just uninstall, and move on.

 

agree with this :) 

2 Pages « 1 2 Search