Trending Games | Marvel Heroes | Elder Scrolls Online | ArcheAge | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,922,059 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,315,051
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

General Discussion Forum » The Pub at MMORPG.COM » Will upcoming MMOs make [mod edit - current games]look even more dated

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
61 posts found
  Shodanas

Advanced Member

12/15/13 1:38:12 PM#21
So, the OP sees a multiplayer game (with max 32 players if i'm not wrong) and thinks: which game do i hate the most? TOR of course. Let's go to MMORPG and make a post about both engines. What? one is just a multiplayer game and the other an MMO? Who cares, it's the MMORPG forums after all. 
  djazzy

Novice Member

12/15/13 1:41:40 PM#22

1. the Division is not an mmorpg

2. different art style

3. the graphics of the Division  makes all other games look dated, not just swtor (why single it out?)

CazNeerg

Novice Member

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." Dark Helmet

12/15/13 2:09:10 PM#23
Originally posted by djazzy

3. the graphics of the Division  makes all other games look dated, not just swtor (why single it out?)

Just a very poorly veiled dig at stylized graphics from someone who prefers photo-realistic ones.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

artemisentr4

Apprentice Member

12/15/13 2:37:51 PM#24
If Disney comes out with a SPG RPG SW game with co-op, then they may want to look at that engine. But everyone is out of luck on a new SW MMO for a long time. No use in wasting time crying about choices made. As long as they are making money with TOR, it will continue on it's current path.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
R.A.Salvatore

CazNeerg

Novice Member

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." Dark Helmet

12/15/13 3:20:26 PM#25
Originally posted by artemisentr4
If Disney comes out with a SPG RPG SW game with co-op, then they may want to look at that engine. But everyone is out of luck on a new SW MMO for a long time. No use in wasting time crying about choices made. As long as they are making money with TOR, it will continue on it's current path.

Not to nitpick, but Disney won't be coming out with any games.  They outsourced all SW game development to EA, and have stated they have no interest in taking any role but licensing agreements when it comes to core gaming.

Besides, no MMO is going to have graphics that good, not until they are old enough to no longer be considered "that good."

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

DocBrody

Hard Core Member

OP  12/15/13 5:37:23 PM#26
Originally posted by CazNeerg

Just a very poorly veiled dig at stylized graphics from someone who prefers photo-realistic ones.

"stylized" is the most wonderful euphemism for "lazy and low-tech"

xxtriadxx

Novice Member

12/15/13 5:45:40 PM#27

Nobody mentioned the best part of the video. 

The narrator and presentation.

Reminds me of being sold an ED-209 by Omni Consumer Products.

iridescence

Hard Core Member

12/15/13 5:54:53 PM#28

"Newer games will make older games look graphically outdated! And in other news, water is, in fact, confirmed to be wet!"

Besides who played SWTOR for the graphics even when it first came out? It was always ugly looking and graphically behind the times just like WoW. Graphics really don't matter in an MMO. If they did WoW would be a huge failure.

Fdzzaigl

Advanced Member

12/15/13 6:01:40 PM#29

Yes in the sense that all games start looking dated as time goes on (and if they don't get graphical updates).

No in the sense that TOR's style is what it is, you either dislike it or like it, but it does have a style of its own. Which can not be said for the game you linked, at least from that trailer, in my opinion.

Originally posted by DocBrody

Does everything really need to look as realistic as possible while adopting the most expensive high-tech engines?

Not gonna say that some stylized games aren't lazy and bad looking, but that's some blanket statement right there.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

FrodoFragins

Hard Core Member

12/15/13 6:29:46 PM#30
There's no game play footage there.
  Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

12/15/13 6:35:20 PM#31

That's a rather ignorant statement where art is concerned. As Stylized can have all the bells and whistles of a realistic game, has nothing to do with either of those things.

Especially "Lazy".  Where art is concerned Stylized can often be a longer process of iteration, as it's not going for a standard look.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

Dreamo84

Defender of Worlds

I actually still like MMORPGs

12/15/13 7:47:55 PM#32
OMG! Will it make WoW look dated too?! What about EverQuest and Ultima Online?! We are all doomed! oh god...not Meridian 59 too!!!

TeknoBug

Novice Member

12/16/13 12:11:29 PM#33

SWTOR's graphics don't look all that dated, just that HeroEngine wasn't even finished when Bioware picked it up hence it's not able to be used to its potential. And after seeing Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online, I don't have any hopes for that one, Ghost Recon online is waaaaaaaaay too console-ish for my liking... and I'm pretty much a Ghost Recon vet (except I hated RAW and RAW 2).

The more advanced game graphics becomes, the more problems games arrives with. Take a good hard look at Battlefield 4 and Total War: Rome 2 for example. Even PlanetSide 2 still has optimization issues, SOE really needs to iron those out with the Forgelight engine before Everquest: Next is ready.

AmbrosiaAmor

Novice Member

12/16/13 8:02:11 PM#34

Thanks for showcasing this new engine! Sadly none of the MMO games coming out in the next 2-3 years will have anything close to this. World of Darkness might be the only one that remotely comes close, but considering there was a recent layoff... well. Maybe by 2020 MMOs will have similar engines to this? The only other company (that releases MMOs) that can do something like that at this moment is Square Enix. That will happen with their future RPGs but not an MMO, unless they release an MMO that is not FF related. I always love seeing new doohickeys.

AmbrosiaAmor

Novice Member

12/16/13 8:11:08 PM#35
Originally posted by Fendel84M
OMG! Will it make WoW look dated too?! What about EverQuest and Ultima Online?! We are all doomed! oh god...not Meridian 59 too!!!

Yeah I uninstalled Pong today. All these future games/engines made it look outdated beyond belief. I mean, Pong isn't even an MMO, it never used motion capture (I always thought it did; you know the blocks moving up and down look realistic)... I even thought the "pong sounds" were originally done by London Symphony Orchestra.  I'm going to cry myself to sleep now. Don’t wake me up, allow these final tears be the last thing I feel in this physical world as they coldly run down my cheeks.

User Deleted
12/16/13 8:13:05 PM#36
Oh look, someone is comparing an FPS graphics engine to an MMO garphics engine...  how cute.
  Amjoco

Elite Member

12/16/13 8:17:06 PM#37
This example would never make it in an mmo. At least not with todays technology.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

donpopuki

Novice Member

12/16/13 8:22:35 PM#38
I didn't play SWTOR because of the graphics and I didn't stop playing because of the graphics.
  Hellidol

Hard Core Member

12/16/13 8:26:37 PM#39

Check out the new Snowdrop engine from Ubisoft´s the Division and then compare to SWTORs engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXeH9OqygzI&hd=1

Can I have a Star Wars MMO please with that type of graphics? Please, Disney?

god I wish, play the megamilions and give Disney 85mil to invest into a SW game using this tech (has to be a sandbox though).

If you build it.....they will come.....

simplius

Novice Member

12/21/13 5:40:54 AM#40
Originally posted by Hellidol

Check out the new Snowdrop engine from Ubisoft´s the Division and then compare to SWTORs engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXeH9OqygzI&hd=1

Can I have a Star Wars MMO please with that type of graphics? Please, Disney?

god I wish, play the megamilions and give Disney 85mil to invest into a SW game using this tech (has to be a sandbox though).

If you build it.....they will come.....

if this was to be sandbox, those Buildings should be destructible

good luck, with programming that, in an mmo engine

and, good luck , with getting 85 mio , to Invest in a sandbox game

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search