Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,737,430 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,771
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » EA Reveals that their SW deal done in May 2013 lasts a full decade

14 Pages First « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Last Search
278 posts found
  TeknoBug

Novice Member

12/08/13 9:45:30 AM#121

lol SWTOR 2 will never happen, most of Bioware disolved anyways. There will be other SW based games, Battlefront will be one of them, but I have no faith in EA, they continue to go in a bad direction no matter what. I'm disappointed in this because I'm a long time SW fan and EA is one of the worst gaming companies so this paints a sour image for the future of Star Wars.

Now I only hope JJ Abrams does a good job with the next Star Wars movie, that's all that matters to me, screw SW based games.

Vlacke

Apprentice Member

12/09/13 11:28:06 AM#122
Originally posted by darklord88
Originally posted by BadOrb

That's hopeful news for SWTOR , maybe even a SWTOR 2. I liked reading that they don't want to make actual movie tie ins too. The best bit was this though and I don't know how true it is , isn't everything true on the internet ? Was this quote from the replies in that thread.

"(REDDIT figures, feel free to completely ignore but just for sh*ts and giggles)

Total sales of all Star Wars titles across handheld, TV'd boxes and PC for the last 15 years - ~$2,000,000,000

Total spent by SW:TOR players (1,000,000 active) Average $28.50 per month for the last 12 months(mostly from microtrans but includes subs and the sales of first expansion, does not include first year of sales or subs for some reason) - $342,000,000. Roughly 1/6 that of every Star Wars game added together this generation.

SW:TOR is the most successful Star Wars title of all time, and will only become more so for as long as it runs." quote from distanlurker.

Will this news shut up the SWG people from asking for a SWG2 ? No , obviously.

O nearly forgot BioWare are hiring yet again :) http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6958438#edit6958438

In the voice of Yazz and the plastic population "The only way is up , baby". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKADQnjQmc

Cheers,

BadOrb.

defender detected, i've seen you on official forums too defending as always.

you seem desperate, as if you're in denial that SWTOR was a huge flop and wasted potential, and so you throw about "facts" just to convince yourself that you haven't wasted your time playing it.

If you can give a source that there have been 1 million active players for the last 12 months, that would be great, because it's just typical of you defenders to claim things which you haven't given evidence for

and swtor is only the most successful star wars title of all time because it's the most recent and the only star wars theme park mmo out there today, pretty much a wow clone.

cheers.

It's also very typical for haters as well to not offer anything that is even remotely constructive, and finish their rants with a "wow clone" line, which is especially hilarious considering that World of Warcraft didn't really invent the genre itself, they borrowed quite a lot from other games as well, surprise surprise.

BadOrb

Apprentice Member

12/09/13 12:32:57 PM#123
Originally posted by darklord88
Originally posted by BadOrb

That's hopeful news for SWTOR , maybe even a SWTOR 2. I liked reading that they don't want to make actual movie tie ins too. The best bit was this though and I don't know how true it is , isn't everything true on the internet ? Was this quote from the replies in that thread.

"(REDDIT figures, feel free to completely ignore but just for sh*ts and giggles)

Total sales of all Star Wars titles across handheld, TV'd boxes and PC for the last 15 years - ~$2,000,000,000

Total spent by SW:TOR players (1,000,000 active) Average $28.50 per month for the last 12 months(mostly from microtrans but includes subs and the sales of first expansion, does not include first year of sales or subs for some reason) - $342,000,000. Roughly 1/6 that of every Star Wars game added together this generation.

SW:TOR is the most successful Star Wars title of all time, and will only become more so for as long as it runs." quote from distanlurker.

Will this news shut up the SWG people from asking for a SWG2 ? No , obviously.

O nearly forgot BioWare are hiring yet again :) http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6958438#edit6958438

In the voice of Yazz and the plastic population "The only way is up , baby". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKADQnjQmc

Cheers,

BadOrb.

defender detected, i've seen you on official forums too defending as always.

you seem desperate, as if you're in denial that SWTOR was a huge flop and wasted potential, and so you throw about "facts" just to convince yourself that you haven't wasted your time playing it.

If you can give a source that there have been 1 million active players for the last 12 months, that would be great, because it's just typical of you defenders to claim things which you haven't given evidence for

and swtor is only the most successful star wars title of all time because it's the most recent and the only star wars theme park mmo out there today, pretty much a wow clone.

cheers.

Very funny accusing me of being a defender ha ha . So you are new here I will be a little lenient towards you. I have said many times the game is/was too short , but I do believe this to be the case for many themepark MMO's , I'm used to longer MMO's per character. Also the fact I have 16 characters is terrible , it isn't a long game. I have also being accused of propaganda , which I proved wrong and then had a laugh about it , see my sig. I don't think it has been a waste of two years at all. I would also like speech bubbles and more individual class stories. 

I have given a source for 10 million accounts and over 1 Million play per month as of around the 14th of November in another thread on here. Try searching for Eric Musco 10 million 1 million cantina. That will get you the source.

Also I even said in this thread maybe EA/BW will make a sandbox SW game for the people who want it.

How can I be defending a game in a thread about 10 years of SW license ? Also I don't defend on the SWTOR forums please show me links to that and on this site that might help us.

I thought I would give you the link , those search words I gave came up with it as the number one hit on Google.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1396514-SWTOR-has-10million-Casual-Players

I also think the game was rushed out and that the original final planet Corellia for chapter 3 is still very buggy and unfinished , but I guess Christmas sales and all had to be met at the time.

Very nice try in trying to rile me up , it almost worked :)

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing.
"SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Roguewiz

Hard Core Member

When a Kender says "oops!"; its already too late.

12/09/13 12:34:27 PM#124
Originally posted by simplius
Originally posted by jpnz

You'd think that people would move on after 2 years but nope, SWTOR will continue to be hated by people in this community for not being SWG PRECU / SWG EMU / SWG2 / SWG Electric Boogaloo / SWG In the Mountains.

*shakes head*

/Facepalm

yea,,those 1.5 mio players , who left in the first year?  we were all swg players

every..single..one

Let's be fair here.  I played SWG and adored the game, but I didn't quite SWTOR because it wasn't SWG.

I quit it because it was WOW'like

I be Raq, destroyer of game balance!
Raquelis in various games
Played: Everything
Playing: Everquest, Hearthstone, League of Legends
Wants: The World
Anticipating: Everquest Next, Everquest Next Landmark, Archeage

Trying to beat Dark Souls without using magic is like having a naked hot blond give you a root canal every day; painful and enjoyable at the same time.

Hellidol

Apprentice Member

12/09/13 12:43:44 PM#125
Originally posted by Roguewiz
Originally posted by simplius
Originally posted by jpnz

You'd think that people would move on after 2 years but nope, SWTOR will continue to be hated by people in this community for not being SWG PRECU / SWG EMU / SWG2 / SWG Electric Boogaloo / SWG In the Mountains.

*shakes head*

/Facepalm

yea,,those 1.5 mio players , who left in the first year?  we were all swg players

every..single..one

Let's be fair here.  I played SWG and adored the game, but I didn't quite SWTOR because it wasn't SWG.

I quit it because it was WOW'like

I agree, it definitely started out like wow and now they are slowly trying to break away from that image ( I am telling you all Disney and BW are putting the screws to EA) but now I for see them really going in a new direction, if they make  sand box MMO RPG SW what would that mean for SWOTOR? My guess is it die off or do what EQN is doing (there can only be two, no more no less). A lot of unknowns but something tells me they learned a lot from spending a 100 million in a game just to clone it to WoW with no real ROI in for seen future.

fardreamer

Novice Member

"Trust your feelings!"

12/14/13 5:48:01 PM#126
Originally posted by fardreamer

Hey im not gonna go on record to say SWTOR is a bad game.. Ill say it like this instead:

I played SWG for 4 years, grinding between 7-12 hours per day, having multiple accounts and millions of credits and rare materials.

I played SWTOR for two months made it to lv 47 with one character no alts, then I quit.

Wait I know I can make a whole list of mmo's and /played that way I have no say in if I liked the game or not just let the gametime speak for itself.

Ultima Online = played 4 years, quit because of trammel.

SWG = played 4 Years, quit because of the NGE.

Wow = played 4 years, quit because they slowely killed world pvp.

DaoC = played about 12 months, quit to start playing swg.

TSW = played about 12 months so far (still playing)

Swtor = played two months, made it to lv47, then i just stopped, even though I love Star Wars and MMOs, the game felt like a very grindy singelplayer game with pretty bad story.. even though story, remains their selling point.

HOLD UP!

Okay, I started playing SWTOR again... and lo and behold, now I can look past all the hype i used to have, its still a pretty bad well at times awful game, BUT there is a big but here.. ;) im having fun now, its like a lobby minigame compilation into a star wars package guised as a mmo.. still the fun can be had in there, if you forget that what its supposed to be and enjoy it for what it is.

So, i only played for a week now but I have a feeling this time I'll probably stick around and pokemon play this little game like a sidenote in my mmo chronicles.

CazNeerg

Novice Member

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." Dark Helmet

12/14/13 6:37:16 PM#127
Originally posted by superniceguy

There is no obsession, EA/Bioware have said they had content already written at launch to last 2 years, and at the time that was assuming the game was going to succeed, now it has not it may spread out longer. Unless anyone can link to a recent article by EA/Bioware clearly stating they have been working on these fresh new content during 2012 (mainly after Aug) or 2013 then I will just go by what EA / Bioware have already stated.

What I say is not an opinion, it is from information as commented by EA/Bioware, and if true, then I do not see any major new updates like Makeb or SSSP coming ever again. They were quite vocal and explicit with their info with SWTOR from launch to the announcement of F2P, but since then they have been extremely quiet about it all.

Written is not the same as developed.  It isn't the writing part that requires substantial time and money, it's the implementation of the content into the game.  Unless they have had more layoffs we haven't heard about, all the people who were working on content like Makeb, Oricon, and GS must be working on something.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

simplius

Novice Member

12/15/13 3:57:57 AM#128
Originally posted by Yamota
Originally posted by JeroKane
Originally posted by asmkm22
Originally posted by JeroKane

Bioware focused on the Storyline With full voice overs. That's where all the Money went. Was never a Secret!

That is not true.  James Ohlen stated the following earlier this year:

"[Voice acting] was a known entity, and cost was quite low in comparison to the cost of the rest of the project."

Source:  http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/gdc-2013-james-ohlen-on-how-f2p-saved-swtor/

James Ohlen is the Pinocchio of Bioware. Come on now.

If you read his entire quote, you can perfectly read that he is contradicting himself!

He is just trying to put out the flames, because the game was being bashed on that and nothing else.

It's the primary reason why they will do general planetary storylines only from now on and discontinue the personal class storylines.

Simply because it's too expensive. They don't get the funds for it anymore.

Here have a look at this: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/06/star-wars-the-old-republic-scoops-guinness-world-record-for-voice-acting/

Come back to me when you've read that and tell me that Voice overs didn't eat a HUGE chunk of their Development Budget.

For sure it was a massive cost. 200 voice actors and 200.000 lines? Yeah if they even used half decent actors, which from the sound of it they did, that would cost tens of millions. And I read somewhere else that it took 12 full time writers over two years to write all those lines. Think about that and how much that costs.

And when you look at the rest of the game. Relatively small ThemePark worlds and licensed Hero Engine, where else was the huge production time and money spent?

try looking at the intro cinematics

they were made by a different studio, and they dont look cheap

LoverNoFighter

Novice Member

SWG pre cu > all

12/16/13 11:44:18 AM#129

SWG will always be a more immersive MMO than SWTOR will ever be.

Quite sad really......if you're a SWTOr developer/publisher.

CazNeerg

Novice Member

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." Dark Helmet

12/16/13 12:08:06 PM#130
Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

SWG will always be a more immersive MMO than SWTOR will ever be.

Quite sad really......if you're a SWTOr developer/publisher.

That depends on what you find immersive, doesn't it?  If the thing that most helps your immersion is a quality narrative, TOR is lightyears beyond SWG.

The Force shall free me.

ArzhAngel

Novice Member

12/16/13 12:17:43 PM#131
true
  Tamanous

Elite Member

12/16/13 12:19:52 PM#132

As with all Swtor threads this has been derailed long ago by the trolls who simply bitch about SWG and Swtor.

Not even sure why there is a Swtor forum here or why people bother with a subject line if all that happens is "SWTOR ... SWG ... bitch ... moan ... bitch ... moan ..."

You stay sassy!

Crazy_Stick

Novice Member

12/16/13 12:26:33 PM#133
Originally posted by TeknoBug

lol SWTOR 2 will never happen, most of Bioware disolved anyways. There will be other SW based games, Battlefront will be one of them, but I have no faith in EA, they continue to go in a bad direction no matter what. I'm disappointed in this because I'm a long time SW fan and EA is one of the worst gaming companies so this paints a sour image for the future of Star Wars.

Now I only hope JJ Abrams does a good job with the next Star Wars movie, that's all that matters to me, screw SW based games.

Man, the lens flare will be spectacular. The plots entirely magical with Sith super-blood saving the life of Luke's son while Leia and Han's daughter and her boyfriend argue about relationship issues in the background before the big imperial showdown that will be set to thumping yet classical sounding music and amount to a big laser flash show where you only see the image of the ships because he is artistic that way. It'll sell millions of tickets but we will not remember the details by the time the sequel hits theaters. But for some reason like five year olds who heard a cool sound moments ago, we will still ogle and awe like it's cool.

CazNeerg

Novice Member

12/16/13 12:42:41 PM#134
Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Man, the lens flare will be spectacular. The plots entirely magical with Sith super-blood saving the life of Luke's son while Leia and Han's daughter and her boyfriend argue about relationship issues in the background before the big imperial showdown that will be set to thumping yet classical sounding music and amount to a big laser flash show where you only see the image of the ships because he is artistic that way. It'll sell millions of tickets but we will not remember the details by the time the sequel hits theaters. But for some reason like five year olds who heard a cool sound moments ago, we will still ogle and awe like it's cool.

Amusing, but let's not forget that either of the Abrams Trek movies was better than any other Trek product for what, about 15 years?  And the worst thing the man has ever touched is still better than any of Lucas' prequels, or the Endor portions of RotJ.

The Force shall free me.

Crazy_Stick

Novice Member

12/16/13 1:14:13 PM#135
Originally posted by CazNeerg

Amusing, but let's not forget that either of the Abrams Trek movies was better than any other Trek product for what, about 15 years?  And the worst thing the man has ever touched is still better than any of Lucas' prequels, or the Endor portions of RotJ.

True enough man. But his films are fast food summer movie flicks that might be a better grade of mental fertilizer than your typical grind house film but none the less are in the same category of crap. Even if they are likely to be better than the current series of Wars books.

shane782

Novice Member

12/16/13 1:21:26 PM#136

I played SWG for 6 years and it always had its ups and downs....... i remember people complaining about grinding and why cant we have missions like this new game wow. I remember when people complained that getting jedi was too hard and that no other game out there had a god class. There were people who wanted less buffs, people who wanted the best weapons to be looted instead of making them, people who wanted a third faction, people who were sick of openworld pvp and would rage log because thier faction got a beat down and cried because there were other games that had arena pvp or instance pvp.

SWG was killed because slowly everyone in it found games that catered to them and left but they never realized until it was to late that SWG had many good things in it. Hundreds of customizable classes, Massive player crafting community, massive PVP battles, Everything in the game was for he most part custom. I loved the game but ive moved on i dont get into many other games but thats because that was the game that did fit me .... maybe it didnt fit everyone but hey i had fun it was fun while it lasted.

Oh and they did make a game that was just like it....... it was called Fallen Earth. I think if the combat was better that game would of been huge.

simplius

Novice Member

12/16/13 9:57:06 PM#137

True enough man. But his films are fast food summer movie flicks that might be a better grade of mental fertilizer than your typical grind house film but none the less are in the same category of crap. Even if they are likely to be better than the current series of Wars books.

star wars+ Disney= Family entertainment

this is big business now, they will go for the widest appeal

ill have to see the movies, before i rate them

superniceguy

Apprentice Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

12/17/13 4:41:22 PM#138

A new Star Wars game by Disney and Luasarts coming in 2014, looks similar to GS but with Original Trilogy ships

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-attack-squadrons-space-combat-game-coming-soon.html

Which will be better?

Galactic Starfighter
Attack Squadrons
(login to vote)
  CazNeerg

Novice Member

12/17/13 11:09:25 PM#139

A new Star Wars game by Disney and Luasarts coming in 2014, looks similar to GS but with Original Trilogy ships

Snooze.  It looks like somebody took a real single player Star Wars space sim with a tiny amount of tacked on multiplayer content, then inexplicably scrapped the actual game and decided to just release the afterthought quality multiplayer.

The Force shall free me.

simplius

Novice Member

12/18/13 3:43:21 AM#140

Snooze.  It looks like somebody took a real single player Star Wars space sim with a tiny amount of tacked on multiplayer content, then inexplicably scrapped the actual game and decided to just release the afterthought quality multiplayer.

yup, and its from LA

maybe i check it out, if i can get it really cheap

but at full Price? no chance

14 Pages First « 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Last Search