Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Marvel Heroes

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,922,282 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,315,264
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » How long after Swtor's release was it known that its population was going to drop off?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
63 posts found
  Voqar

Novice Member

10/01/13 11:53:33 AM#61

I don't think the average player expected SWTOR to have such a heavy decline so fast.  IMO the biggest problem with SWTOR at release was not enough and poorly balanced endgame and too much clunkiness in UI/quality of life elements - which is something FFXIV shares and suffers from even more.

That and the problem most modern so-called MMORPGs suffer from, which is way too much solo and way too little grouping.  No matter how good the solo content is in MMORPGs, it's never going to be as good as single player in a single player RPG.  So when MMORPGs are designed as mostly glorified solo/single player games that happen to be online they end up missing the mark all around - weak solo, weak MMO part of MMORPG.  A lot of people play thru the solo part, dabble a smidge in grouping, and move on.

"Did SWTOR's population decline start during the free month?"

Doubtful since it took a little longer to level and do endgame compared to say, the ultra speed fest that is FFXIV.  There's always some people ahead of the curve that are only interested in leveling as fast as humanly possible and getting done as fast as possible - no clue at all why these people even play these games - but whatever is fun....if that's actually fun.

I've been saying for some time that FFXIV is going to follow SWTOR's pattern of hype, decent release, and huge dropoff - only it'll occur much faster since FFXIV plays very fast and easy, has less to do at endgame, and has even less replay/alt value.  For me personally it's the first premium sub-based MMORPG I've ever bought and played that looked really good up front that I ended up not subbing to, because there just isn't much to the game and I don't see how any dev could put out content fast enough to match the ludicrous pace of the game.  That and I just don't think it's a very good game.  Ultra easy and ultra plain and generic is not my idea of a good game.

FFXIV is prettier, slicker graphics, and what FFXIV does contain is more polished but IMO if you compare SWTOR and FFXIV at release, SWTOR is the better game.  There really isn't much to FFXIV and everything about it is simplified.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

GeezerGamer

Elite Member

OP  10/01/13 11:54:08 AM#62
Originally posted by amber-r
Originally posted by Hyanmen
Originally posted by amber-r

Company promises DX upgrade and more features on a FF MMO and never adds it, they simply state it was too expensive and never mentions it again.

Same company promises a DX upgrade on a new FF MMO and you don't see how what they did in the past is relevent?

Effort to return ratio, have you ever heard of such a concept? Improving 10 year old MMO vs. improving just released MMO, which will have potentially bigger returns by a wide margin? Kind of has to do with the "too expensive part" too, because too expensive for a dying MMO =/= too expensive for a growing one.

The whole idea of having to explain something so basic to you is just headache-inducing.

This was promised in 2007 not now and it's one of their most profitable titles ever, it was promised when the game was in its prime.  They went back on it because it cost too much money, this was a decision made by whoever was in charge of finances not the development team itself.

As many have mentioned this game is going to have a large player loss in months to come, which means it will get the same decisions made about if it's too expensive or not, FFXIV is not a growing mmo...unless you think it will get more players than it had at launch once subs begin?  FFXI increased subs for years, FFXIV has nowhere to go from here but down and only the most crazed white knight would say otherwise.

Why are you holding a different set of standards to the 2 games? You give credit to the long term development put into 11. And yet when it comes to 14, you judge the game's future with no such consideration. You even use your descriptions differently. When you reference XI you used the phrase "over the years" but when you reference XIV you use the phrase "months to come" It's not that you are wrong to say it will lose subs over the next few months, but the question is by how much and over what time period. I seriously doubt it will be an exodus as we have seen in other games. Also, your agenda is more than obvious. You don't like this game and want to see it fail.

It's the sad state of the genre. The next big title has as many threads discussing issues with it's business model than issues with the game itself.

JudgeUK

Hard Core Member

10/01/13 12:09:08 PM#63

If the point of the post is to compare swtor to ffxiv arr, then look at the similarities and differences at launch:

Similarities:

Both well known licenses

Story driven

Limited end content - rinse and repeat runs.

Sub model

Poor or no pvp

Differences:

Graphic engine

Crafting

Same character Class/Job v different Alt reroll

All same faction v opposing factions

-----------------

Are there enough differences to avoid the swtor fate? Don't ask me, only time will tell.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search