Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic | WildStar | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,644,644 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,078,455
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Adding SWG "like" features to SWTOR.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
64 posts found
  TeknoBug

Novice Member

7/25/13 8:48:40 AM#61

I play emu from time to time, caps at 3000 players which it often did before GW2 came out, now it averages 1600 players and that includes same account alts.

superniceguy

Elite Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

7/25/13 9:29:08 AM#62

The gameplay mechanics and features of pre-CU were the best for a MMO, but the thing that put people off was that they could not see past all the bugs it brought. WOW was a smooth running game, and it attracted more people. If SWG was as smooth, bug-free, and polished as WOW was, I reckon it would have done better.

SWG you had characters / NPCs floating in the air, with every update it could break something (usually temporary but could be permanent) eg crafting station / factory hoppers not being able to open or items go temporarily missing, or harvestors lose resources, more down time, roll backs etc

It is not surprising that people did not want to play the game, but the features were so awesome that myself and others saw past all the bugs, and persevered with the game.

It is a shame as the bugs is what is making devs not use SWG features for other MMOs, they just see the gameplay mechanics and features as what turned people off, which is a misconception. Now with WOWs success they use WOW as a template, but that does not work out, as WOW is WOW, and why play a WOW clone when WOW does WOW the best. Devs have gotten lazy and just copy ideas, instead of take peoples feedback and come up with something fresh, they probably do listen peoples feedback but have been using WOW as a template

"It [World of Warcraft] is a touchstone. It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb," Zeschuk said.

What a MMO is game where the world can be manipulated by the players. SWG did this with player housing / cities, harvestors, mission terminals etc EQN is supposed to do something like this too, but probably not in this manner, and another game coming is Project Spark for Xbox.

Games like SWTOR, WOW etc are boring as the game just stays the same (player wise). It was great in SWG as you could either gaze in  awe at other players efforts or show off your own expertise (every structure you see from the Kashyyyk Tree houses to the Cloud City house to the AT-AT house and Millennium Falcon house was what I added to the game) and not be in game to do so. It also gave more motivation for playing game, as if you play slowly then you could lose out on a plot of land

The best WOW clone so far is LOTRO, as it has a pretty decent player housing system, and you can manipulate the land around your house with various different objects. If SWTOR had this it would make it seriously more interesting.

From SWG, the Creature Handler/Bio Engineer (or after NGE, Beast Master) features were pretty awesome. You could go hunting animals for DNA and make your own pets and then train them up.

SWTOR basically just needs more depth and be more of a MMO, but it is just a single player game like Mass Effect or Dragon Age with multiplayer bolted on.

JRVthatsME

Novice Member

OP  7/25/13 9:49:52 AM#63
I agree with that. And that is why I think some sandbox like elements would help balance out a theme park game like SWTOR. LOTRO has a decent player housing system and even something like that in SWTOR would go a long way to helping players enjoy it long term. Though I do think something more like what was done in Villagers and Heroes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qufyYRoxizQ could be made in SWTOR (though clearly not in the same younger audience style as Villagers and Heroes is). "If" would could have a system in place for making settlements (Having thought about it I think the name settlement works better then colony since it could suit a player community on a city planet as well as other planets) and finally get Guild capitol ships (which I imagine would work along the lines of Fleet star bases in STO) then we would have reasonably player run community locations for player driven game play.
  simplius

Apprentice Member

7/25/13 11:35:45 AM#64
Originally posted by superniceguy

The gameplay mechanics and features of pre-CU were the best for a MMO, but the thing that put people off was that they could not see past all the bugs it brought. WOW was a smooth running game, and it attracted more people. If SWG was as smooth, bug-free, and polished as WOW was, I reckon it would have done better.

SWG you had characters / NPCs floating in the air, with every update it could break something (usually temporary but could be permanent) eg crafting station / factory hoppers not being able to open or items go temporarily missing, or harvestors lose resources, more down time, roll backs etc

It is not surprising that people did not want to play the game, but the features were so awesome that myself and others saw past all the bugs, and persevered with the game.

It is a shame as the bugs is what is making devs not use SWG features for other MMOs, they just see the gameplay mechanics and features as what turned people off, which is a misconception. Now with WOWs success they use WOW as a template, but that does not work out, as WOW is WOW, and why play a WOW clone when WOW does WOW the best. Devs have gotten lazy and just copy ideas, instead of take peoples feedback and come up with something fresh, they probably do listen peoples feedback but have been using WOW as a template

"It [World of Warcraft] is a touchstone. It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb," Zeschuk said.

What a MMO is game where the world can be manipulated by the players. SWG did this with player housing / cities, harvestors, mission terminals etc EQN is supposed to do something like this too, but probably not in this manner, and another game coming is Project Spark for Xbox.

Games like SWTOR, WOW etc are boring as the game just stays the same (player wise). It was great in SWG as you could either gaze in  awe at other players efforts or show off your own expertise (every structure you see from the Kashyyyk Tree houses to the Cloud City house to the AT-AT house and Millennium Falcon house was what I added to the game) and not be in game to do so. It also gave more motivation for playing game, as if you play slowly then you could lose out on a plot of land

The best WOW clone so far is LOTRO, as it has a pretty decent player housing system, and you can manipulate the land around your house with various different objects. If SWTOR had this it would make it seriously more interesting.

From SWG, the Creature Handler/Bio Engineer (or after NGE, Beast Master) features were pretty awesome. You could go hunting animals for DNA and make your own pets and then train them up.

SWTOR basically just needs more depth and be more of a MMO, but it is just a single player game like Mass Effect or Dragon Age with multiplayer bolted on.

you obviously havent played wow

the modern wow is a totally different game, than at launch

and, what you say is essentially this: swg would have been a great game, if they had made it Work as intended

seeing, what sony have done with dcuo, i dont think , they were the problem

so,,it all boils Down to this: sandbox( which doesnt Work for big games), or themepark,

which almost every mmo , and certainly the big ones, use

and why is the best sandbox game so low on subs, that a small newbie dev, like bluehole

can launch tera, and get more subs, in so short time?

i know those subs didnt stay for long, simply because its an Eastern grind game..aion didnt do so well here either

i wil give you one thing , though..the themepark market is full, any new themepark mmo will have a hard time

getting the launch bugs out, before the players leave,and yet, they keep on coming

AFAIK the last sandbox launch was TSW, right? that should give you a clue on sandbox merits

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search