Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,634 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,223,979
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » James Ohlen on GDC, discussed SWTOR problems

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
123 posts found
  Wizardry

Elite Member

Perhaps tomorrow will be better.

3/31/13 10:30:55 PM#101

It had nothing to do with linear questing,which i assume is what he is talking abotiu content.We already knwo that is boring as heck,but i think msot of us were at least accepting it,hoping sooner or later the game woudl expand,show more depth and become a little less drab.

However when i kept tryinmg every class to 20,i soon realized how shallow the design was and it was among the worst i have played.

What i gather from this producers perception,is that he thinks by simply adding 5000 more linear quests,the game would flourish?I would fire his ass in a heartbeat becuase it tells me ,he has ZERO clue about gaming.

Here is a hint  for him...

1 FUN <<<Do wahtever it takes from puzzles,to utilizing team work,to interacting alongside and with NPC's ect ect.How often did we see movers being used in this game?It was like amateurs creating the maps.Even ship doors was simply warps,i mean geesh,talk about cutting corners.The taxis were a decent touch,that is the sort of thing the game needed more of.

2 Character and combat DEPTH,this one is a huge fail by most devs.

3 More systems and REAL content.I find it disturbing thjat devs think they can call linear questing content,it has become the very basic core of game design,it is EXPECTED.To use the term content,we should be seeing ideas above and beyond basic game design.I mean we don't go around calling the sky box in a game ,content or the shrubs on the ground content,it is basic game design.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Napolianboo#p/u/15/rCYLLQCNc1w
Samoan Diamond

tiefighter25

Novice Member

4/02/13 7:17:22 AM#102

As an intresting question of what is cause and what is effect, SWTOR's daily numbers have increased a bit, AFTER this story was passed through the media.

Marketing.

FromHell

Novice Member

OP  4/02/13 2:47:52 PM#103
Originally posted by tiefighter25

As an intresting question of what is cause and what is effect, SWTOR's daily numbers have increased a bit, AFTER this story was passed through the media.

Marketing.

the past double XP weekends. 

Those weekends really brought the regular levelling speed to F2P.

Even I finished two of my alts which were hovering at 40 since summer.

So I have my f2p account with three 50ies, waiting for future space content, engine improvements, minigames and day/night cycle.

Well I got my free content and it was kinda fun, but what's next? Another year of waiting for the major announcements?

this game needs player driven content, housing, city building, player bounties, sandbox freedom in space. Or the player numbers will collapse again, and then it's game over

Secrets of Dragon´s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

tiefighter25

Novice Member

4/02/13 3:16:09 PM#104
Originally posted by FromHell

Marketing.

the past double XP weekends. 

Those weekends really brought the regular levelling speed to F2P.

Even I finished two of my alts which were hovering at 40 since summer.

So I have my f2p account with three 50ies, waiting for future space content, engine improvements, minigames and day/night cycle.

Well I got my free content and it was kinda fun, but what's next? Another year of waiting for the major announcements?

this game needs player driven content, housing, city building, player bounties, sandbox freedom in space. Or the player numbers will collapse again, and then it's game over

The weekends have been very popular and increased weekend pops (which could warrant a thread unto itself), but not weekday. Since this latest barrage of positive press, this is the first higher pop Monnday they've had.

gervaise1

Elite Member

4/02/13 3:43:51 PM#105

^^^^^^

Holiday weekend in Europe for Easter (but not in the US( which could have something to do with it.

gervaise1

Elite Member

4/02/13 3:51:11 PM#106

I'm sorry. Apparently everything I said was wrong.

Here, here's another article reporting that SWTOR has 4.5 millon players!

http://www.pcgamesn.com/swtor/star-wars-old-republic-gaining-10000-new-players-every-day-going-free-play

IT MUST BE TRUE!

Hilarious.

To be fair to James Olsen none of the writeups I have seen have him talking about players - just accounts. Looks like pcgamer doesn't know the difference however. And on 20 soon to be 17 servers as well!

tiefighter25

Novice Member

4/02/13 3:53:47 PM#107
Originally posted by gervaise1

^^^^^^

Holiday weekend in Europe for Easter (but not in the US( which could have something to do with it.

Possible.

FromHell

Novice Member

OP  4/03/13 12:23:02 PM#108
Originally posted by gervaise1

^^^^^^

Possible.

game will keep busy until early summer I guess. The "expansion" won´t keep people busy for long, it´s just 5 levels and one planet.

They better have some really *big* game improvements announcements ready by June, or population will make another nose dive. And they can´t go F2P a second time to save the game.

the last thing this game needs is more of the same like OPs, FPs and voiceovers

Secrets of Dragon´s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

noncley

Advanced Member

4/03/13 4:42:37 PM#109

With all due respect, I think Mr. Ohlens facts and figures are of the same quality as the facts and figures produced by other EA executives before and after launch: in other words, deliberate half-truths, strategic ommissions and disingenuous misinterpretations.

For example, take the statement 'we're the second biggest subscription based MMO in the western world'.

Now that gives the impression that SWTOR has more subscribers than any western MMO except WOW. A moment's thought will tell you that's bullshit - the No.2 in Western MMO subscription is almost certainly EVE.

The weasel word here is 'biggest'. If anyone challenges him, he could say he meant 'largest in game playing landmass', 'largest amount of code strings' or 'greatest number of accounts made (whether they're active or not)'.

IN other words , Ohlen, you're a bullshit artist.

Oh, and no one really cares anout the end-game content if the overall game content had not been so linear, repetitive and restricted. I didn't get to anything like profession mastery in SWG for a year and a half simply because there was so much to do rather than just grind. Ohlen on the other hand, made a game where the only thing you could do is grind.

noncley

Advanced Member

4/03/13 4:54:54 PM#110
Originally posted by observer

He's still clueless.  It wasn't the rush to max level that caused players to leave.  It was the core concept design.  I still believe the UI, the traveling system, and the restricted zone areas were the main reasons players hated swtor.  It was such a pain in the ass having to get anywhere.  Add to the fact, that the fleet pass was on a 24 hour cooldown.  What the hell where they thinking?  In most MMOs, it's around an hour cooldown.  Want to explore? Too bad, because there's an artificial barrier blocking you.  Max level content wasn't the problem, and they still don't realize it.  I hate to say it, but i hope this MMO closes down, so it frees up the star wars IP for the next generation movies, and hopefully we'll get a better MMO based on those.

edit: I almost forgot to add, that Alt Replayability was another major factor.  It forced everyone through the same stories from 1-10 if they wanted to try another class, that shared the same hierarchial class.  This was very unfriendly to alts.

Bingo! This man sums up everything Oheln didn't say and tried to hide. Give him a Bentley.

Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

4/03/13 4:56:44 PM#111
Originally posted by Tayah
Originally posted by Ujirik
They weren't prepared for people playing 15 hours a day and skipping dialogue whenever possible. I've only heard a few rumors, but I believe they do exist...

Yah, I don't know how they weren't prepared for it, we tried to tell them in beta the game was stale and the dialog would be skipped, and the worlds felt lifeless, among so many other things. They knew...We were already forming groups in beta for flashpoints asking for members only that would skip through dialog. If they didn't know people would skip through the dialog after all that, they should stop making mmo's, they'll never get it right. They're arrogance destroyed any chance the game would have had by ignoring beta testers negative feedback (the ones that weren't rump kissing constantly that is).

On a side note, I wouldn't be suprised if their play-time metrics took a bit of a wrong turn due to so many simply not playing for long periods during beta (spoilers and all that).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

simplius

Novice Member

4/08/13 4:45:04 AM#112
Originally posted by DeniZg

These guys at EA/Bioware are setting new standards for arrogancy and incompetence. Why you ask?

Well, first they blame the casual players for their failure and now they blame the hardcore? Who's next I wonder? 

i know, who theyre coming for next

but im prepared,, i have build a fortress, made of substandard PC games

and the moat is quite handy as emergency toilet

i am ready,,they will not take me without a fight

just hope it happens in less than 2 years, i dont have twinkies for more than that

tiefighter25

Novice Member

4/09/13 2:51:18 AM#113
People have hit level 55 in 15 mins. This should be interesting.
  ignore_me

Apprentice Member

4/09/13 3:01:13 AM#114

What? No? That's impossible?

It should have taken 5-6 weeks!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

tiefighter25

Novice Member

4/09/13 3:02:38 AM#115
I don't make this shit up. http://friendly-fire.enjin.com/
  tiefighter25

Novice Member

4/09/13 3:04:36 AM#116
Originally posted by ignore_me

Oh wait, I see what you did there. I'm a bit groggy. Please forgive me.

ignore_me

Apprentice Member

4/09/13 3:06:07 AM#117

Oh wait, I see what you did there. I'm a bit groogy. Please forgive me.

lol. I would wonder what the excuse will be this time, but I think instead they will just say nothing for a year.

User Deleted
4/09/13 3:16:02 AM#118

lol. I would wonder what the excuse will be this time, but I think instead they will just say nothing for a year.

Next year at GDC they will say "we werent prepared for it, we expected at least a month before people hit 55"

:)

ignore_me

Apprentice Member

4/09/13 3:18:46 AM#119
Originally posted by tintilinic

Next year at GDC they will say "we werent prepared for it, we expected at least a month before people hit 55"

lol. "Content locusts"

tiefighter25

Novice Member

4/09/13 3:32:50 AM#120
Originally posted by tintilinic

lol. "Content locusts"

As I said, when you take this interview, and the Ilum non-rollback, this should be interesting.

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search