Trending Games | Landmark | World of Warcraft | Hearthstone | Camelot Unchained

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,853 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,409
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » 3rd Time is definitely a charm

20 posts found
  JKwervo

Novice Member

OP  3/06/13 4:05:32 AM#1

Let me give some background. 

I am a CE owner, played in Black Vulkars and was the 3rd 50 on my server. I power game. But, with that style, I still tend to have longevity in a game if it's warranted. I mean, my 6-7 years in City of Heroes and 48 alts show.

I also have a life outside. I don't spent 100 hours a week to play how I play. I don't need that much time. I can typically spend on work days 4 hours or probably less. On my days off, I enjoy going outside, but I can typically play 5-6 hours depending on what I have planned. I am in no means a power gamer like I used to be in City of Heroes but I still power game because it's in my nature. Even when I try to slow down...it just doesn't work for me. 

I devoured the content in SWTOR. But that was okay with me. I wasn't bored. It wasn't until the 1.2 changes that I started getting fed up with the whole thing. It literally pissed me off because I am a die hard Star Wars fan and all they did, in my humble opinion at the time, was drag it down in mud. I unsubbed, tried to come back for 1.3 and it was still the same. 

After almost a year and the recent tabs I've kept on the game regarding changes, 2.0 looks promising to me. 

Bottom line is this: I came back, took a look at the game. Played it and I took it for what it is instead of worrying about HOW it should be and instead focused on the great fun that CAN be had with a good group of people to play with. 

Once I approached the game like that, I began to enjoy it again. With that said, I am back and enjoying the game more this time around than I ever did at launch. 

This is not a perfect game. By no means is it even the best. But to me, it is enjoyable and that is worth something. And I have been one of the most critical of this game. Sevenstar knows this. 

Guess I'd like to share my sentiments is all. 

/salute

tiefighter25

Novice Member

3/06/13 4:36:39 AM#2
  User Deleted
3/06/13 4:58:17 AM#3

"I took it for what it is"

Im very amused by these kind of statements.

FromHell

Novice Member

3/06/13 5:59:46 AM#4
Originally posted by tiefighter25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMMTloO1H-U

Hammer  -> Nail

:D

Secrets of Dragon´s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Shadin

Novice Member

3/06/13 10:48:55 AM#5

Good for you, op!

I enjoyed SW:TOR for what it was and went in with both eyes open and well aware of the product in the beginning. However, as I do not agree to several business decisions EA: Bioware have made since, and disagree with how they've handled several issues, I decided that I did not want to support the game any longer in any way.

Regardless, it's good to hear you enjoy it. At the core there is, in my personal opinion, a good game with good story.

IG-88

Apprentice Member

3/06/13 11:24:21 AM#6

I had the same experience as OP, when i lowered my expectations i could enjoy it a bit more.

grimal

Spotlight Poster

3/06/13 11:43:45 AM#7

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

I got a little burnt out on the game back in April/May (leveling like 8 pub characters simultaneously).  I think it was a few months back I returned full time.  I'm enjoying the game tremendously now.

I find, as with anything, expectations are key for enjoying anything.  Simply thing that...yet so hard to really understand.

In any case, not sure if you posted what server you are on, but I am playing on Prophecy of the Five.  Send me a PM if you'd like to meet in-game.

"I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you." - Robin Williams

Sevenstar61

Hard Core Member

"But it was so artistically done..." - Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words

3/06/13 12:17:11 PM#8

Glad to hear you enjoy it  OP.

I never took a break from game, I am way too addicted to it... with over 2400 hours played so far.

Right now I started a new story with my Thrawn-like Chiss male sniper...  Mitth'raw'nurud (a bit different from Mitth'raw'nuruodo) :)  (I absolutely adore Thrawn, I will never forgive Timothy Zahn for killing him... though I hope there is still a hidden clone somewhere in galaxy far far away /grin)

Anyway, I am so excited playing this new character, creating at the same time a backstory for him, etc... skipped work today just so I can endulge myself in it :)  Snowquester helped as well LOL

Question for my fellow posters:

What Thrawn would do about Kaliyo... nor sure about my relationship with her... I personally think that Thrawn would dislike her, but find her useful... but how he would treat her? Sure thing not a romance choice... hell, no!

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

BadOrb

Advanced Member

3/06/13 12:45:59 PM#9

Even though everytime i went into a games store asking when SWTOR was coming out and if they had announced the PS3 release date ( yeah i thought it was going to happen ) , I still didin't have any high expetations for the game. That's probaly why I liked the game so much and stuck with it. I kind of knew I would like it a little though as it was going to be about the SW IP. Glad you tried it a couple more times OP and that you are having fun with it.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
"SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

JKwervo

Novice Member

OP  3/06/13 1:05:23 PM#10

What really burnt me out the first two times was my incessant obsession over pvp mechanics. I was not happy with it at all once 1.2 hit. 

However, I have let go of that. Mechanics may not be perfect, far from it, but that doesn't mean it's the be all end all. I shared a lot of pessimistic views of the game as well. I was a very very big critic and blasted the game with the direction they were going at the time. But I've always kept tabs on it. Why? Because it's the Star Wars fan in me. And the fact that I spent so much money and time invested into my first character. 

Coming back now, I let go all of that. It's a game. Whether there are disagreements on what is bad and good in the game, doesn't matter. What matters is your own personal view. If you enjoy it, play. If not, say your piece and just move on. There is no need to keep bashing something that people just don't find fun anymore. That's just.....weird. 

PvP to me, is still not perfect. Far from it. But I'm having fun again. And that's the most important thing. 

superniceguy

Novice Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

3/06/13 1:22:13 PM#11
Originally posted by BadOrb

Even though everytime i went into a games store asking when SWTOR was coming out and if they had announced the PS3 release date ( yeah i thought it was going to happen ) , I still didin't have any high expetations for the game. That's probaly why I liked the game so much and stuck with it. I kind of knew I would like it a little though as it was going to be about the SW IP. Glad you tried it a couple more times OP and that you are having fun with it.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

1. The game did not meet people expectations, hence over 1 million people quit within the first few months

2. Because of 1 and lack of revnue they are now not putting enough resources into fulfilling its true potential. If the 2 million people who bought the game were all still playing it now, the game would be a whole lot more better than it is now.

So expectations need to be lowered two fold

If SWG was still active I would still be playing SWTOR, but as it is not all my time was put into SWTOR and virtually done except to keep playing through 90% of the same content with each new char / class after the first 2, which I am not paying for, as I have found plenty of other games to play instead that are like SWTOR that does not have a monthly fee.

The game is more of a single player game with online functionality as opposed to a typical MMO. It should have launched as F2P or even B2P, but EA are too greedy and wanted monthly sub success like WOW

If the game goes B2P, in effect turning it into a single player game with online support, then it would make it more worthwhile to play, with things like speeders, extra content, char slots etc in the store, but not things like the basic gameplay elements locked out like toolbars and quest rewards. Also the weekly passes need to be one time unlocks per character. The F2P system just makes playing the end game not viable.

BadOrb

Advanced Member

3/06/13 1:51:17 PM#12
Originally posted by superniceguy
Originally posted by BadOrb

Cheers,

BadOrb.

1. The game did not meet people expectations, hence over 1 million people quit within the first few months

2. Because of 1 and lack of revnue they are now not putting enough resources into fulfilling its true potential. If the 2 million people who bought the game were all still playing it now, the game would be a whole lot more better than it is now.

So expectations need to be lowered two fold

If SWG was still active I would still be playing SWTOR, but as it is not all my time was put into SWTOR and virtually done except to keep playing through 90% of the same content with each new char / class after the first 2, which I am not paying for, as I have found plenty of other games to play instead that are like SWTOR that does not have a monthly fee.

The game is more of a single player game with online functionality as opposed to a typical MMO. It should have launched as F2P or even B2P, but EA are too greedy and wanted monthly sub success like WOW

If the game goes B2P, in effect turning it into a single player game with online support, then it would make it more worthwhile to play, with things like speeders, extra content, char slots etc in the store, but not things like the basic gameplay elements locked out like toolbars and quest rewards. Also the weekly passes need to be one time unlocks per character. The F2P system just makes playing the end game not viable.

I think some peoples and EA's expectations for SWTOR were too high. I agreee the game is too short , hence why I have 16 characters ( I have never had that many in any mmo prevously ). I actually like the freemium model as if it wasn't for that i believe the game would be in a worse state. Preferred players get a lot more than you think and all for free. Content has been held back yes but maybe after this expansion we might get actual new stuff that we haven't heard of before , here's hoping.

TBH my opinion of patch 2.0 is different from the OP's I believe if they keep the 100 max and 50 per week planetary comms then i feel a lot of people will leave or just get to the cap really quickly and thus play something else. It's not a good idea to pen players into this daily and weekly carp. I will be ok as I have 16 characters but what about people with 2-3 ? Bored ? I have spent an hour a night over the last two nights thinking about what on earth to spend 700 tatooine comms on lol , I'm nearly there, I just don't want them to go bye byes when 2.0 is released.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.

JKwervo

Novice Member

OP  3/06/13 2:04:53 PM#13
Oh, i agree. the hard cap in 2.0 is not good. And I don't agree with that approach. BUT, overall, 2.0 is a step in the right direction. 
  Distopia

Drifter

"what a boring life, HATING everything" -Gorilla Biscuits

3/06/13 2:27:46 PM#14

When I first played TOR it was with a PVP guild from my days in SWG, needless to say that didn't last long. The game just didn't offer what we were looking for.

Fast forward to about a week ago, I built a new PC, I gave my old one to my wife who didn't have a gaming PC. We decided to play an MMO together, I gave her pick of which we played. TOR it is. I've been having a lot of fun running a duo group with her since ( we play nightly), This game is really good for that IMO. So I can relate 100% with the OP on that.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

Hrimnir

Elite Member

3/06/13 2:51:58 PM#15
Originally posted by JKwervo

I am a CE owner, played in Black Vulkars and was the 3rd 50 on my server. I power game. But, with that style, I still tend to have longevity in a game if it's warranted. I mean, my 6-7 years in City of Heroes and 48 alts show.

Just FYI, im saying this with no malice, not trying to insult you or anything like that.

That being said, when i read that line about power gaming, i kind of chuckled and wondered how current people who would be considered power gamers in modern MMO's would have handled a game like EverQuest.  Where the amount of time you spent maximg a character in TORtanic would have gotten you to level 7 or 8 in EQ1 when it first released.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

BadOrb

Advanced Member

3/06/13 3:01:23 PM#16
Originally posted by Hrimnir

Just FYI, im saying this with no malice, not trying to insult you or anything like that.

That being said, when i read that line about power gaming, i kind of chuckled and wondered how current people who would be considered power gamers in modern MMO's would have handled a game like EverQuest.  Where the amount of time you spent maximg a character in TORtanic would have gotten you to level 7 or 8 in EQ1 when it first released.

I agree , I was going to add in my post about this subject. I played PSO on DC for 2 years never got to level 200 , also on the GC for 2 years never got to 200. Even PSU which was a shorter grind than PSO I only maxed out my 4 characters on one server after about 2 years ( max level was 180 ). SWTOR 15 months and have 9 characters at 50 and a few more at 30 plus , so yeah it ain't like the MMO's we used to know Toto :)

No offence to anyone either.

Oh and OP glad you think the caps are a bit rough too.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

AG-Vuk

Advanced Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Oh, I see it's too late to help you.

3/06/13 3:10:19 PM#17

My sentiment exactly. CoX wasn't necessarily considered a hardcore game , imo. My apologies if I offend . I am glad you enjoy it. I have certain reservation personnally about the game , currently subbed. Although now I'm starting to view it as a something to do rather then a game i'm committed to . I'm finding the constant updates with the increasing grindiness for gear rather irksome. Have 2 fully geared toons  pvp and pve wise. 

JKwervo

Novice Member

OP  3/06/13 3:15:45 PM#18

I'm actually glad I didn't start in Everquest or any of the old school games. Although, I did stay with DAOC for quite some time. 2 years to be exact. And I still power gamed. 

catlana

Advanced Member

Playing GW2, ToR, PoE
Played AoC, Aion, DDO, EQ2, CoH, Rift, TERA, WAR, WoW

3/07/13 5:31:59 PM#19
Originally posted by Distopia

When I first played TOR it was with a PVP guild from my days in SWG, needless to say that didn't last long. The game just didn't offer what we were looking for.

Fast forward to about a week ago, I built a new PC, I gave my old one to my wife who didn't have a gaming PC. We decided to play an MMO together, I gave her pick of which we played. TOR it is. I've been having a lot of fun running a duo group with her since ( we play nightly), This game is really good for that IMO. So I can relate 100% with the OP on that.

I have found SWToR to work best for me with a couple of friends as well. We play together when we can. We also just do not let the little things bog us down.

Souldrainer

Spotlight Poster

3/07/13 8:41:14 PM#20

People didn't have high expectations for SWTOR, just a lot of weird ones that serve no purpose... Player housing?  Yeah, how often would you be showing off that player house?  Chat bubbles?  Meh.  Sitting in chairs?  Useless.  Full Collision?  Do not want.

SWTOR was supposed to deliver an accessable themepark with a heavy focus on story.  That is exactly what it delivered.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.