Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Heroes of the Storm | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,643,897 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,077,567
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
44 posts found
  Wicoa

Advanced Member

3/18/12 3:59:40 PM#21

I am just going to answer the title with my opinion in the same one line context.

Yes it really is that bad.

drakaena

Hard Core Member

3/18/12 4:33:32 PM#22
My issues were as follows...

In no particular order:

Terrible community. And I rolled on a rppvp server in an attempt to avoid this issue. Was the worst MMO community I've ever been apart of.

The voice over story became redundant, boring, and a waste of time. I'm not a star wars fan, but I tried really hard to get into the story. After around level 20 I just started space barring through everything.

The zones felt so boxed in and linear. There was no sense of adventure and exploration.

No immersion into the world or my character. It all just felt so generic.

No group content while leveling. Mind you I played for the 1st 30 days and I could never get flashpoint groups or 4man quest groups. I was paying an online fee to play an underwhelming single player rpg.

The quests were awful. No thought put behind them.

PvP was pointless.

I could probably go on.

Basically its a typical themepark, carrot of a stick end game treadmill. But both wow and rift do it much better. So why not play them instead?
  sfc1971

Hard Core Member

3/25/12 3:09:43 PM#23

Is a McD hamburger bad? If you were expecting a fine steak, yes it bloody well is. Yet if you were expecting a shit sandwich, it probably is a huge improvement (you never know with some people) and if what you wanted was a McD Hamburder, then it is right on the money.

What did YOU want SWTOR to be?

To me, what is wrong is that the entire game feels dead. Other MMO's I have played I sometimes played again for a bit just for a sense of nostalgia,"Gosh, was I once really a lvl 5" type thing. The shire in Lotro, the hubs in WoW etc etc. 

SWTOR lacks this so far. In many ways, it reminds me of Neverwinters Nights, the original game. It was a very accurate D&D game, lots of detail, lots of story and utterly and totally devoid of any personality, any sense of life. 

Nar Shaada, it should be a fun planet, filled with vice and adventure.  Instead it looks like a usermade Doom level where the same cheap textures are used over and over again and simple recoloring stands in for original design. The same tunnels, the same layout, the same objects, the same monsters.

Lots of games do this to be sure but most are set on the same planet after all. SWTOR is not, why across star systems is every planet populated by exact carbon copies of the same flying critter? It is lazy and against the lore.

Final Fantasy 14 had people make screenshots to show similar corners and the net population was outraged. In SWTOR, every short cave is the EXACT same design with just a different model at the end for your quest. They could at least have mirrored some of them.

Does it matter? Well... the areas never speak to my imagination. They never seem pretty, most MMO's have landscapes, SWTOR has mission areas with obstacles. Taris should be pretty, it is detailed enough but it just seemed like a mess to me. I certainly don't long to go back to it.

Is it that bad?

Yes... because I expected more. If you expected what you got, then you are a lucky person. Enjoy but allow others to have a different experience.

eddieg50

Hard Core Member

3/25/12 3:19:08 PM#24
Originally posted by drakaena
My issues were as follows...

In no particular order:

Terrible community. And I rolled on a rppvp server in an attempt to avoid this issue. Was the worst MMO community I've ever been apart of.

The voice over story became redundant, boring, and a waste of time. I'm not a star wars fan, but I tried really hard to get into the story. After around level 20 I just started space barring through everything.

The zones felt so boxed in and linear. There was no sense of adventure and exploration.

No immersion into the world or my character. It all just felt so generic.

No group content while leveling. Mind you I played for the 1st 30 days and I could never get flashpoint groups or 4man quest groups. I was paying an online fee to play an underwhelming single player rpg.

The quests were awful. No thought put behind them.

PvP was pointless.

I could probably go on.

Basically its a typical themepark, carrot of a stick end game treadmill. But both wow and rift do it much better. So why not play them instead?

this is not meant to bash you but I do find it interesting that many people did not like the story and many people loved the story, I guess it is the same way with a book or movie.   I have never had a prob with the community compared to AOC community which I thought was bad, sometime you just get on a bad server. PvP needs work as does the space game, however I have rarely grouped in games but found grouping in swtor to be great fun and never had trouble finding a group of course I started at the beginning when the servers had plenty of people on it. 

I find exploring to be an exercise in tedium , I dont mind some but spending an hour looking for something or trying to reach a destination (I am looking at you Eve) is not my idea of fun.  I think the fact that you are not a Star Wars fan is telling, If I hated Lord of the Ring movies and books, no way would I play Lotro.  Just some thoughts good luck finding a game you like

jacklo

Advanced Member

3/25/12 3:22:15 PM#25
Originally posted by Xovas

All I see everywhere is hate for this game with barely any real reason other than lack of content and buggy issues, yet when I've played I've had none of those experiences. Sure the story is all solo and feels a bit like a singleplayer game at times, but you can group up with other players for any other mission that isn't story.

I don't see what I'm missing here on why this game is so bad, and why people who like it are treated like they've committed a crime and are retarded. 

Seriously, what are the real reasons on why this game is THAT bad? I'm only level 30 in the game so I haven't experienced the full game, but from the beginning to where I'm at I've enjoyed it. 

I don't see it, and don't see why I should be ashamed of playing and enjoying it either.

Rewind a couple months and you'll see that anyone who spoke out against SWTOR on this site got stomped on from all directions.

It took all of a month for people to get bored to death of it to the point where the fanbois were distancing themselves from the 'NEW' Bioware, who apparently are not the same team who produced the games prior to SWTOR.

If you're a new player, enjoy that first month because you'll soon be on the same bandwagon and wondering what you wasted your money on.

Kanester

Advanced Member

3/25/12 3:26:43 PM#26

Here is my reasons for being so disappointed with the game. I had my eye on TOR from the moment it was announced, I thought it was going to be my next massive game to keep me hooked for years and years.

I loved my Shadow while leveling up as well as PVP, Getting to level 50 was a blast, I loved saving people but also sending people to their death. I loved being part of the story and you could tell BW spent alot of time on this. I couldn't wait to get to end game and start raiding and the massive pvp battle on Ilum.

I hit 50 and did some dailys and raids as well as Flashpoints, I noticed after a few weeks there was no more lush green grass or massive open worlds just a fleet (Lobby). All my days were spent in the fleet waiting for groups and Warzones to start. BTW The fleet is the most depressing place I have ever been in, Why BW didn't have a massive City in a lush open world I will never know.

Thats where SWTOR lost me, you spend your days in the fleet, There is no reason to go outside unless you want to join Ilum. Keep in mind Republic were just being farmed all day and night. The raids are just so easy and the Warzones are piss poor, Seriously, Hut Ball is just a joke. I couldn't stand to log in the game ever again. After SWTOR I'm trying to keep the hype for the next game as low as possible.

Graphics 7/10

Combat 7/10

Leveling 9/10

End game 2/10

kalinis

Apprentice Member

3/25/12 3:32:25 PM#27

im not bored with tor and neither are my guildies. So not everyone who loved tor is bored, Im sorry the truth is most tor lovers dont even come here they are to busy leveling or doing what they like

this isn;t the site to come to for game advice, sorry its not. most of the posters are burnt out players who long for the days of uo when only  5-10 k players could even understand how to move much less find there quest

If u want game advice from the forum goers here u will never ever play an mmo period.

User Deleted
3/25/12 3:34:26 PM#28

All I see everywhere is hate for this game with barely any real reason other than lack of content and buggy issues, yet when I've played I've had none of those experiences. Sure the story is all solo and feels a bit like a singleplayer game at times, but you can group up with other players for any other mission that isn't story.

I don't see what I'm missing here on why this game is so bad, and why people who like it are treated like they've committed a crime and are retarded. 

Seriously, what are the real reasons on why this game is THAT bad? I'm only level 30 in the game so I haven't experienced the full game, but from the beginning to where I'm at I've enjoyed it. 

I don't see it, and don't see why I should be ashamed of playing and enjoying it either.

I wouldn't say it is BAD. There wasn't any aspect of it I HATED when I tried it. That says something for the MMO's I've tried in the past few years at least. I enjoyed the personal story which I think some people don't like much. But as I had played Knights of the Old Republic I knew what to expect going in. After playing it for a bit, I sat back and thought about it and decided this wasn't a game I would pay money to play monthly. Mostly because it felt to me more like a solo game. And I LIKED that part of it but because that was the only part I actually could point to that I would like to continue I decided it wasn't for me. The graphics also I found a little uninspiring and I think I expected a grander experience over all as it was an MMO and not a single player game.  I agree with others that you should try it for yourself. What's not right for me might be just perfect for you. I know people have bashed this game to death but I am thankful they let so many members of the public try it with free beta weekends without pre purchase beforehand. It felt to me quite honest at least that they did that. And I very nearly sub'd to it. In ways I am glad I didn't because at the end of my story would have been the game play I hate most of all, gear grind (from what I hear anyway). I would have prefered sandbox elements included in this game and I guess I hoped secretly it would have just a little bit of the life in it that SWG had. Wishful thinking I know! Anyway, you make up your own mind, it really is the best way.

Kuinn

Elite Member

3/25/12 3:34:41 PM#29

but you can group up with other players for any other mission that isn't story.

You can group for story missions too. I've joined the story instances of some of my friends and noticed that you also get the bonus mission XP there just like the instance owner, you cant participate in the dialog but other than that it's go.

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

3/25/12 3:34:51 PM#30
Originally posted by kalinis

im not bored with tor and neither are my guildies. So not everyone who loved tor is bored, Im sorry the truth is most tor lovers dont even come here they are to busy leveling or doing what they like

this isn;t the site to come to for game advice, sorry its not. most of the posters are burnt out players who long for the days of uo when only  5-10 k players could even understand how to move much less find there quest

If u want game advice from the forum goers here u will never ever play an mmo period.

That's the spirit, keep your chin up.
  Teala

Spotlight Poster

"Really officer, they're herbs."

3/25/12 3:35:26 PM#31

This is all that matters - if you enjoy it - that is all that really matters in the end.   Sure some of us are critical of it, but we have our reasons, that doesn't mean someone, somewhere will not derive enjoyment from it.  So if you enjoy it, I say play it and do not be ashamed because you do.  ^_^

Bunks

Novice Member

3/25/12 3:42:40 PM#32
Originally posted by Teala

This is all that matters - if you enjoy it - that is all that really matters in the end.   Sure some of us are critical of it, but we have our reasons, that doesn't mean someone, somewhere will not derive enjoyment from it.  So if you enjoy it, I say play it and do not be ashamed because you do.  ^_^

Exactly, I played a game that had only a handful of people who played it, never cared one bit it wasn't popular. Played it for over six years religiously with the same group of people.

gilgamesh42

Novice Member

3/25/12 3:52:00 PM#33

They paid off people to give them good reviews cough mmorpg.com cough,
it was all bullcrap tho. The game was not amazing and what the heck is the point of wasting money on a bunch of fake alien language voice overs when you have to write down what there saying anyway? Also every single quest does not have to be voice over I ended up skipping a lot of the pointless talking for random quest(quest takes 5min listening to them talk takes another 5min) the only cool thing about this game is the starwars part thats it instead of making a cool starwars game they made a wannabe wowclone which is fine plenty of companys do it. BUT lol they are so dam obsessed with controlling the media anything negative said about them or the game expect it to be removed from the forums(careful not to give them ideas how to improve the game you might get banned). They spent sooooo much time covering up anything bad even when it was constructive threads that it pissed everyone off. I canceled my sub when they released that crappy video where the scumbag clown was saying how he "listens" to the players biggest insult ever. Especially since they deleted the thread attached to the video because it wasnt positive ass kissing im sorry but bioware has turned into asshats and greedy scumbags.

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

3/25/12 3:54:56 PM#34
Originally posted by Bunks
Originally posted by Teala

Exactly, I played a game that had only a handful of people who played it, never cared one bit it wasn't popular. Played it for over six years religiously with the same group of people.

I played my last MMO for 18months with less than 1000 active players total which closed down, but then again I didn't go on forums shouting about how it was dominating all around it. If you like SWTOR why care what I think, I don't care what you think, everyone is entitled to their opinion
  BilboDoggins

Novice Member

3/25/12 3:57:33 PM#35

SWTOR isnt a bad game really. Its just not very good.

It is the definition of mediocre IMO and considering the monster budget it had it SHOULD have been a good-great game. Thats why it generates so much hate and anger because people are pissed its not as good as it should have been.

/thread

Azrile

Advanced Member

Any new or returning player to WOW, send me a PM for some help getting started.

3/25/12 4:06:10 PM#36

The game is not terrible, it is just lack of innovation.

With new developers and small houses like Trion that made Rift, you almost expect them to follow the mold of bigger games like WOW.  Rift didn´t have a huge budget, but still it had a few innovative ideas.

People were really hoping EA, Bioware and the huge budget would be enough to finally push innovation and create something new and exciting in the genre...  But really, SWTOR is not innovative at all... it is no better than Rift or WOW and is very VERY much like them.  The huge budget, the great minds of Bioware.. gave us just another forgetable wow-clone.

I personally don´t like it because it feels like a very static single-player game... which when it comes down to.. why pay a subscription to play Skrym...

It isn´t a bad game, just like Rift isn´t a bad game (unlike AOC and Warhammer which are)..  but the problem is, I enjoy WOW, and SWTOR and RIFT simply are not different enough to make me switch.   Rift does a few little things better than wow, but doesn´t have near the depth.   SWTOR does really nothing better than WOW except make me listen to boring voice-overs for very obvious ´kill 10 x´ quests with no real story anyway.

It is not really hatred of the game, mostly it is just disappointment that a huge studio with a huge budget failed to produce anything at all different.  Maybe our last great opportunity for a new type of game for the next 5 years.

If you are an ex-wow player and want to come back. Scroll of Rez gives 7 free days, boost a character to 80 a realm and faction change. Send me PM for an invite. Only 1 per day available

jacklo

Advanced Member

3/25/12 4:10:36 PM#37

No, come on now, it is really that bad. When your only real option after level 50 is to make an alt, there's something missing.

It's called 'the rest of the game'.

RageOfKills

Novice Member

3/26/12 10:17:28 AM#38
This game could of had all these bugs fixed and lpads more content added before launch if (As always) EA hadn't been so greedy for money and pushed a Christmas launch. A lot of developers have stated in interviews that they were not happy about the game when it launches and they wanted longer to iron out the bugs an make sure this game didn't get boring the second you hit 50
  RageOfKills

Novice Member

3/26/12 10:18:15 AM#39
Ugh damn auto correct
  User Deleted
2/20/13 2:47:53 PM#40

I'm not a fan of SWTOR. It was an okay game, don't get me wrong. It was just the same as 5 years worth of WOW without some of the features.

I wasn't a big WOW fan, either, mind you. I enjoyed it as a game, and it did what it was supposed to do, to a certain point. It entertained. SWTOR actually did a better job (as far as leveling) on the entertainment front. The character stories were interesting and defined each class pretty well. However, once those stories were over, there wasn't much else to do.

That being said: people hated this game for different reasons, but I believe that the primary one was that it wasn't the game they wanted. It was (to me) essentially an online KOTOR3, and I'm not sure why in the posts I kept reading that "they should have just done KOTOR 3" because... they did. The stories are done just as if you were playing through a KOTOR with eight classes, each with their own story.

I personally can't abide people who trash a game because "they didn't like the ending" and getting all worked up over it frothing and foaming at the mouth. It's not the purchaser's story. If the story "sucks" to you, that's a matter of opinion. Some people loved it.

Like Twilight. I think it's insipid, shallow, and trite. Did I go on a forum rant and hunt down Twilight fan boards and trash the author, the books, the movies? I'm sure someone did, but they need a hobby.

My conclusion is, even though it was a lackluster game and there were many things that could have been done better, or differently, or just innovative, the hate was mostly unfounded. And people need to find a hobby, like skydiving without a parachute, or chasing parked cars, if a game makes them that violently virulent.

It's not like Aliens: Colonial Marines where the "demo" was an outright fabrication and screen render, shown to players and press alike as a "live, playable demo". The footage for TOR was there, the features were announced, the gameplay videos and open betas left no doubt as to what the game would be. Even though end-game was vague, at no point did the devs say "better end-game than WOW!"

I personally despise "end-game". It's a terrible format and makes development of quality content impossible. And you get people rushing to the highest level and quitting. We need to come up with a new idea of end-game, and make it not so stagnant.

If anything, that was where WOW did the MMO industry the greatest disservice, locking them into that lack of innovation with their success, a thing to be emulated rather than improved upon. Sadly, SWTOR just fell in line, instead of being the next best thing.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search