Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,749 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,872
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Space combat- a failure?

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Search
145 posts found
  birdycephon

Novice Member

Not Safe For Woona (NSFW)

1/19/13 10:24:00 AM#141
Originally posted by superniceguy
Originally posted by birdycephon
I actually like the space combat. It's a refreshing throwback to the old school Star Wars games.

It is only good for about 5 mins, and it could have been a whole lot better by making the missions more differnt.

I first played on the Republic side, and then when I got an Imperial character to the space missions, I was looking forward to more missions, but they were exactly the same as the Republic missions, then I was completely disappointed.

In STO they have a foundry system where players can create their own missions, and even the worst of them that take a few mins to do, is better and more fulfilling than what SWTOR does.

It also could have been better if they used the mechanics as in Lego Star Wars, it is similar to SWTOR space combat but you can have more freedom, as you can fly all about the map and slow down or speed up your ship.

SWTORs space combat is really cheap and nasty, even if accepting it as a mini-game, and not like EVE/SWG/STO.

True, they could have verried it a lot more, but the underlining mechanics of it are pretty good in my opinion.

superniceguy

Hard Core Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

1/19/13 11:16:48 AM#142
Originally posted by simplius

yes the swg guys prolly hurt this game more than any other interest group

imitating a corpse is not the way to success

Even STO did a better job with less devs, less funding, and less time

Also there was EVE

superniceguy

Hard Core Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

1/19/13 11:21:15 AM#143
Originally posted by superniceguy
I actually like the space combat. It's a refreshing throwback to the old school Star Wars games.

It is only good for about 5 mins, and it could have been a whole lot better by making the missions more differnt.

I first played on the Republic side, and then when I got an Imperial character to the space missions, I was looking forward to more missions, but they were exactly the same as the Republic missions, then I was completely disappointed.

In STO they have a foundry system where players can create their own missions, and even the worst of them that take a few mins to do, is better and more fulfilling than what SWTOR does.

It also could have been better if they used the mechanics as in Lego Star Wars, it is similar to SWTOR space combat but you can have more freedom, as you can fly all about the map and slow down or speed up your ship.

SWTORs space combat is really cheap and nasty, even if accepting it as a mini-game, and not like EVE/SWG/STO.

True, they could have verried it a lot more, but the underlining mechanics of it are pretty good in my opinion.

I just do not appreciate being yanked about, its gets frustrating when you want to go one way, but then the game takes you another way.

Also it gets really boring when you complete all your objectives, but then got to just stay the rest of the ride. Once you completed all your objectives, then it should either end, or a "hyperspace" button pops up to end the mission. If they did that then I would be have slightly more motivation to play them more.

One time I finished it with about 3 mins left, and then went to get something to eat while the ship ran its course by itself!

NeoCroX997

Apprentice Member

OP  1/26/13 1:00:32 AM#144
Now, we talked about what we want to be better with the space part. And what is good and less good. And it's great to see many different answers to what you think.

Final phase:

Now, we talked about what we want to be better with the space part. And what is bad and what is less good. And if you think it's good as it is, it's totally fine with me. And it's great to see many different answers to what you think about space combat. Although the game does not suit everyone, but I still think there are good ideas too. This time, we try to stick to as it is and that we like.

If it is true that the "new" project will be published soon, hopefully.

Then comes the question:

What elements do you want to keep, into the new project?
It can be anything you can imagine to carry over to the new project.
  tiefighter25

Novice Member

1/26/13 3:15:25 AM#145

For what it's worth, the consensus opinion on the hints that Bioware has dropped is that the super secret scpace project is the same on-rail shooter with a co-op mode (of 2 people).

This does of the advantage of making co-op missions impossible to bot (a problem no one seems to want to talk about, especially Bioware) so the rewards could be significantly better.

With better rewards, and the novelty of co-op, the on-rails missions could see a bump in playtime.

Incidentally, the cartel shop has already been selling best-in game ship parts, so giving people a reason to play the space missions would be a benefit to Bioware.

If the consenensus opinion is right, the on-rail missions will be slightly better, but nothing terribly innovative.

Most people have already said they want free roam 3-D space, comparaple to SWG JTL, EVE, or even Rogue Squadron.

Bioware already knows this, and seems to have gone ahead with upgrading the on-rail space system.

I don't think any suggestions at this point is going to affact Bioware's course on this. They have already committed resources to the on-rails upgrade, and do not appear to have the resources to do anything else at this point.

Before I get flamed, this is opinion.

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Search