Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,599 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,175,172
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » ETA when EA will close shop on SWTOR like they did with Age of Empires Online?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
25 posts found
  Karteli

Apprentice Member

1/08/13 5:04:25 PM#21
Originally posted by ktanner3
When did Age Of Empires Online close up shop? According to it's own website the game is still FTP. 

I suppose the thread title eludes to how AoE will not be adding any new content, as of very recently.  The game as it stands, is, "As-is".

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/04/no-new-content-for-age-of-empires-online

I suppose this can be correlated with maintenance mode. /shrug .. but it was a f2p game, as long as you use Microsoft Internet Explorer to handle installation / patches .. something which I opted not to do on my good machines ... crap machine, sure .. good machine, no thanks.  Already had Microsoft eat up 20 gigs of HD space I could never recover (Installer directory), from past games, not to mention all the crap in the registry eating up memory I will never be able to free, in entries that Microsft uninstallers won't/can't remove.  Sloppy programming.  Microsoft FTW :(

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Purutzil

Elite Member

The Critical Hit Pretzel!

1/08/13 5:05:15 PM#22
I don't see TOR being closed anytime soon. It might not be 'amazing' but its still a decent game, and those who like a storyline will probably find entertainment in this game. I highly doubt it will close for some time, though its possible its ways of charging might be amplified to provide more profit for the company.
  Corehaven

Novice Member

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you.

1/08/13 5:06:05 PM#23
Originally posted by ezpz77
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Yeah the "expansion" reminds me of the war "expansion"

It costs $10. Are people expecting to have a WoW-esque expansion that fundamentally changes the game for $10? We're getting a whole new planet the size of Hoth or Belsavis, voiced storylines, new abilities, and likely some more "stuff" that hasn't been talked about yet. What do you want for $10?

I think them naming it an expansion was a PR blunder because gamers have certain expectations when it comes to an expansion.

That's right people!  Wake up!  I mean you're getting a whole planet for $10 !  And remember, this dev said with their engine, they'd be able to create hundreds of new worlds every year.  This is only the beginning!  More worlds will come, hundreds of them!  And at $10 a pop? 

That's thousands of dollars coming from each and every customer!  See?  Swtor will be fine!  You heard it here first. 

Boneserino

Hard Core Member

1/08/13 5:13:17 PM#24
Originally posted by asmkm22
Originally posted by sirphobos
Even if SWTOR is only around 200k-300k subscribers, it's still a huge cash cow and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  Slower release of new content is likely, however.

lol, this is what people don't understand.  It's not a cash cow.  At 300k subs, they'd be making about 4.5 million a month (IP royalties would actually eat out of that ammount), which would barely dent the cost of developing and releasing the game (200 to 250 million + marketing is the estimate), much less maintaining it month to month.

So 54 million a year is not a cash cow?   What school of business did you go to?   A cash goat maybe?  

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Karteli

Apprentice Member

1/08/13 5:13:37 PM#25
Originally posted by Corehaven
Originally posted by ezpz77
Originally posted by ShakyMo
Yeah the "expansion" reminds me of the war "expansion"

It costs $10. Are people expecting to have a WoW-esque expansion that fundamentally changes the game for $10? We're getting a whole new planet the size of Hoth or Belsavis, voiced storylines, new abilities, and likely some more "stuff" that hasn't been talked about yet. What do you want for $10?

I think them naming it an expansion was a PR blunder because gamers have certain expectations when it comes to an expansion.

That's right people!  Wake up!  I mean you're getting a whole planet for $10 !  And remember, this dev said with their engine, they'd be able to create hundreds of new worlds every year.  This is only the beginning!  More worlds will come, hundreds of them!  And at $10 a pop? 

That's thousands of dollars coming from each and every customer!  See?  Swtor will be fine!  You heard it here first. 

I bought the collectors edition, so I guess I originally paid $10 per planet.  /sigh

EA is great for putting out last years games with new textures and text, like FIFA.  Oh nelly, Makeb!

Who needs space combat .. or Pazaak or anything players wanted.  Just reskin old content and sell it :P

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search