Trending Games | The Crew | Elder Scrolls Online | Lichdom: Battlemage | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,844,301 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,221,718
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Cartel Market rakes in the cash

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
82 posts found
  tawess

Elite Member

12/31/12 5:14:34 AM#41

If there is one thing that i can count on is this... People will continue to call DOOOM until they are either right or they die them self.

I think a lot of people would be supprised if they knew what lengths people are willing to go to as long as it is presented as a choice.

Micro-Transactions proves this over and over again.

Tomas Soapbox

This have been a good conversation

User Deleted
12/31/12 5:21:28 AM#42
Originally posted by tawess

If there is one thing that i can count on is this... People will continue to call DOOOM until they are either right or they die them self.

I think a lot of people would be supprised if they knew what lengths people are willing to go to as long as it is presented as a choice.

Micro-Transactions proves this over and over again.

Thats also one thing that SWTOR F2P did wrong since it gave a choice of "sub or quit".

Since in first round they got the message of "game is not worth paying sub" which they acknowledged, but still went against it lol

kitarad

Advanced Member

12/31/12 5:29:09 AM#43
I am so pleased as this means the population stays healthy and I get groups and hopefully till I finish my 8 storylines they add content and things only get better. Go F2P !!

Chieftan

Apprentice Member

OP  12/31/12 10:11:45 AM#44
Originally posted by mikahr

There isnt any 6 weeks schedule, its now 6-8 weeks with next one being 9 weeks :)

And SWTOR has one....minor...inconvenience - huge debt to pay off and company that has stock price down the drain.

If i cared that much i would dig up some of my old posts that deal with what you mention, but it seems that noone really wants to deal with real issues.          

Well by golly if you'll bring some real facts we'll deal with real issues.

Tell us what SWTOR's debt is.  How much has SWTOR paid back so far?

5 hours of ESO videos...and counting

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOxuLTBCUXiJYdTTHCv4xpbOWKZKaZ17-

Jetrpg

Novice Member

12/31/12 10:25:44 AM#45

I hate this stuff, cash shops should be cosmetic otherwise theres no actual reason t play the game just work for liek a few months stright in RL then buy end game everythign then /done.

Wow you just won an mmo your great.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

BigAndShiny

Novice Member

12/31/12 10:36:11 AM#46
Originally posted by Tamanous
Originally posted by Rocketeer
I don't see whats the big deal with spending a couple hundred bucks on a video game, i do however see the deal with getting very bad value for your money. For me the problem is that these cash shops are usually very bad value, you can spend 200 bucks and still have a crippled game, albeit with fancy clothes, buffs, pets and mounts galore.

The value has yet to be seen. There hasn't been enough time for development since the team changes and the influx of money from teh cartel market. Keeping to their 6 week content schedule and the quality of the expansion will show us if there is indeed an impact. I hope there is but if their isn't the proof will be shown soon enough.

This game requires both end game and lateral content expansion and soon but I also would like to remind everyone that a game out their called Wow raked in far far FAR more cash than Swtor has and over the years put out laughable amounts of content compared to the revenue flow. Where did all that money go? Where did the tens of millions a month (hell maybe even weeks) go in Wow? Why did players have to wait 2 years for expansions, up to a year for major class issues to be addressed and long months between minor content patches? Wow has been out for years and only now Blizzard finally makes promises to push out regular and frequent patches. Hell they don't even pump out that many other games either.

If Bioware keeps to their 6 week schedule and an expansion yearly with even questionable content size it would still double the output Blizzard put in the first few years of their game (all the while ignoring vanilla Wow cotent until a total remake wiped it all out).

Rift may be seen as the content king with even smaller income but only creates greater contrast between Swtor and Wow if there is any proof in the pudding at all between now and March. I'll be highly critical of Bioware if I don't like the quality and size of content but the greater question in my mind is:

Where the f$ck did all the money go from Wow over the years? Why the f$ck don't players question it as much? Why the f$ck did the company who had the greatest golden egg in gaming have to sell out to Activision, have constant delays putting out more or less copy and paste games they previously put out and still not keep up with content other mmo developers can do with a fraction of the budget? 

Bioware spent their money poorly but Blizzard? Where the hell did that money even go?

Let me let you in on a secret.  WoW only has 160 developers.  Yes, that's less than Guild Wars 2, less than Aion in Korea, and probably around the same as SWTOR has left now that ey've cut their team down from 400 after the layoffs. 

A game that could easily support a thousand devs without eating too much into activision's profit has only 160.  

Darth_Osor

Apprentice Member

Just because you are unique does not mean you are special

12/31/12 10:37:13 AM#47

I've been a subscriber since launch, and I haven't spent a dime in the Cartel shop...only my "free" coins.  I've bought some legacy unlocks and a set of the lvl 31 armor for an alt with those coins.  I hate HATE gambling boxes and keep hoping people wise up and stop buying those, but to no avail.  I am glad that I've only seen one frickin Christmas tree speeder on my server.

If anything, the Cartel market is getting even more money grubbing.  They went from a set of purp modded lvl 31 armor for 1200 CCs to lvl 1 armor with no mods for 1200 CCs to now lvl 1 armor with no mods for 1440 (IIRC) CCs.  Of course now you have the P2W space ship parts, and if they sell, we'll probably see other end game gear in the shop soon.

simplius

Novice Member

12/31/12 1:50:51 PM#48
Originally posted by baphamet

yes and i wouldn't call the people that visit and post on these forums a "sample group" of those who play MMO's either.

awww,,i was hoping for a promotion,,i  already chose my new job title,,"specimen 1600"

but we are a sample goup,,we just dont represent the factions as in real life

GOTY awards showed that,,also the fact, that EVE apparently won several times before

no im NOT dizzing EVE,,its a great game,,but it still doesnt have anywhere near the numbers of the

biggest(= most succesful) games

MurlockDance

Advanced Member

1/01/13 9:16:20 AM#49

I am surprised that some people here think that any cash spent on the cash shop is a waste since at least some of it (the stuff I care about) is unlocking things.

I would not buy pixelated stuff myself, just unlocks since I am in the game only as a casual player.

If subbers want to buy cosmetic stuff, that is up to them.

As a 'froob', I prefer to pay less than 15 USD/month to unlock what I feel I need for the 4 days or so a month I play the game.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

simplius

Novice Member

1/01/13 12:44:27 PM#50

if they made such a big pile of cash with cartel,,why charge for makeb?

this content has been in the pipe for a very long time now,,but suddenly ALL have to pay real $

this looks like the last moneygrab, before skipping town

and even if that isnt enough,,soon disney will be knocking on the door for their cut

now that disney owns the IP, they will prolly have a hard look at what theyre getting from EA, contra

what they can do themselves,,also to protect the IP from further harm

jpnz

Elite Member

1/01/13 12:59:50 PM#51
Originally posted by simplius

this content has been in the pipe for a very long time now,,but suddenly ALL have to pay real $

and even if that isnt enough,,soon disney will be knocking on the door for their cut

now that disney owns the IP, they will prolly have a hard look at what theyre getting from EA, contra

Makeb was free when it was on a sub-model.

SWTOR is now on a F2P model so not sure why charging for Makeb is surprising.

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Purutzil

Elite Member

The Critical Hit Pretzel!

1/01/13 1:04:59 PM#52

Gambling systems are a good way to rake in money, there is a reason a lot of asian origin F2P games utilize them. You don't come to realize how much you spend in hopes of getting some item. 

We tend to be gambling addicts and having it in game involving a cash shop to get an item by chance only helps to rake cash in from people.

kevjards

Apprentice Member

1/01/13 1:10:29 PM#53
Originally posted by jpnz

it still is a sub model with f2p so the subbers should have got it for nothing..dont think they do though..cost $10 if pre-ordered

User Deleted
1/02/13 2:07:17 AM#54

Its not F2P model, its sub model with extended trial.

Subs are still charged, so your logic is...false.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Gambling systems are a good way to rake in money, there is a reason a lot of asian origin F2P games utilize them. You don't come to realize how much you spend in hopes of getting some item. 

We tend to be gambling addicts and having it in game involving a cash shop to get an item by chance only helps to rake cash in from people.

Its good short term. Long term...nah-uh. Most of people are not gamblers.

And those Asian games sell power in gambling.

And SWTOR is not present in Asia, if it worked so well in the west we would have load of such games (but we dont), but it doesnt really fit all that well.

NorseGod

Novice Member

1/02/13 2:16:50 AM#55

You will pay for Makeb! The f2p leeches must be subsidized!!

You know what is really scary about this "expansion"? There's not really a lot of info on the features it brings and yet, people are pre-ordering it (so I hear anyways).

I already bought popcorn for release day (no kidding).

Kazara

Advanced Member

"Denial does not change reality."

1/02/13 11:15:39 AM#56
Originally posted by kevjards

it still is a sub model with f2p so the subbers should have got it for nothing..dont think they do though..cost $10 if pre-ordered

Also keep in mind that the subscriber pre-ordering price of $9.99 expires January 7th, then jumps to the regular price of $19.99. I also feel that subscribers should be getting Makeb for free - especially considering how thin the content updates have been for the last year.

Subscribers make up the majority of players in SWTOR, so it should come as no surprise that the target sonsumers will be the already paying, subscribing players. Bioware will wring out every loose nickle it can from those all too willing to pay more.

simplius

Novice Member

1/02/13 12:11:23 PM#57

not surprising..ure right

my point was this,,if CC had given them such a big earning, they wouldnt need to charge for makeb though

in fact they would have saved themselves from  A LOT of bad PR by not charging

but apparently , they still NEED that 10-20$ extra income,,would that be the case , if CC was doing so well?

lizardbones

Elite Member

I've become dependent upon spell check. My apologies for stupid grammatical errors.

1/02/13 12:28:04 PM#58

Originally posted by simplius if they made such a big pile of cash with cartel,,why charge for makeb? this content has been in the pipe for a very long time now,,but suddenly ALL have to pay real $ this looks like the last moneygrab, before skipping town and even if that isnt enough,,soon disney will be knocking on the door for their cut now that disney owns the IP, they will prolly have a hard look at what theyre getting from EA, contra what they can do themselves,,also to protect the IP from further harm
Makeb was free when it was on a sub-model. SWTOR is now on a F2P model so not sure why charging for Makeb is surprising.
not surprising..ure right

my point was this,,if CC had given them such a big earning, they wouldnt need to charge for makeb though

in fact they would have saved themselves from  A LOT of bad PR by not charging

but apparently , they still NEED that 10-20$ extra income,,would that be the case , if CC was doing so well?

They charged for it because they could. If all companies only charged what they needed to charge for stuff, the world would be a much cheaper place to live.

For every large, complex problem, there is a simple, clear solution that also happens to be absolutely wrong.

ObiClownobi

Novice Member

1/02/13 12:35:11 PM#59
Originally posted by Camaro68
Originally posted by ObiClownobi
Originally posted by Myria

None will get reinvested, they have huuuuuuuuuge debt to service and interests arent going down.

Truly, we are fortunate to be graced by so many with insider knowledge of EA's financials and business plans.

Care to share some specifics, please -- say the size of this 'huuuuuuuuuge debt' and to whom it's owed? You know, the kind of information that's meaningful, verifiable, something beyond the vague claims mindless forum trolls routinely pull out of their arse?

http://ycharts.com/companies/EA/debt_equity_ratio

http://ycharts.com/companies/EA/long_term_debt

Well that proves everything.  I'm sure a company that generates revenue in the billions has you on speed dial for financial advice.

Touchy little fellow aren't you, I just provided the figures on EA debt levels as issued BY ea to the markets. If you want more context their debt is 500m, their income is 4b which generated a profit of 78m in 2011/12 which was an improvement on their 10/11 loss of 270m.

i will leave it a financial expert like yourself to provide us with your informed commentary on them.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

Camaro68

Apprentice Member

1/02/13 10:36:53 PM#60
Originally posted by Camaro68
Originally posted by Myria

None will get reinvested, they have huuuuuuuuuge debt to service and interests arent going down.

Truly, we are fortunate to be graced by so many with insider knowledge of EA's financials and business plans.

Care to share some specifics, please -- say the size of this 'huuuuuuuuuge debt' and to whom it's owed? You know, the kind of information that's meaningful, verifiable, something beyond the vague claims mindless forum trolls routinely pull out of their arse?

http://ycharts.com/companies/EA/debt_equity_ratio

http://ycharts.com/companies/EA/long_term_debt

Well that proves everything.  I'm sure a company that generates revenue in the billions has you on speed dial for financial advice.

Touchy little fellow aren't you, I just provided the figures on EA debt levels as issued BY ea to the markets. If you want more context their debt is 500m, their income is 4b which generated a profit of 78m in 2011/12 which was an improvement on their 10/11 loss of 270m.

i will leave it a financial expert like yourself to provide us with your informed commentary on them.

What's your point?  Seriously just move on. 

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search