Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Marvel Heroes | Star Wars: The Old Republic | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,921,922 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,314,733
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Even after all the horrible PR, EA says: "[Lifeday items] are limited time offers, so now is the time to jump In."

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search
122 posts found
  superniceguy

Novice Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

12/26/12 11:07:16 AM#41
Originally posted by mrrshann618

Ohh Nooo Reduced EXP... the horror

Sorry But I'm not a content locust and personally think to many games now-a-days have the easy button exp grab set to high. I've stopped playing games because it felt like the publisher was pushing me out of a zone without seeing everything there was to offer before it reached "level cap" for the area.

Reduced XP as a whole is not a problem in itself, but it unbalances the game, 1) The quests were designed with XP from the rate that subbed players get. LOTRO and WOW could get away with reduced XP as there are plenty of quests to do as even did quests from another class//race which gave little to no XP. In SWTOR it just means doing more boring repetetive space missions or just grinding XP on mobs which there are very little of them to none at all as others are doing the same and 2)  You can not play very well with a subbed player, as if you group and do the same quests then the subbed player levels faster than you.

I would have preferred it if they made it it so that planets needed to be purchased than these silly restrictions. Buying gameplay is better than restrictive xp, ui elements etc

The game did not have to be SWG or SWG 2, but they really do not have a clue how to run a MMO, and since they did not get their millions of subs, they have given up on the game. The makeb expansion pack was said to be free, and was going to be in game before the end of 2012, as stated in June. Now it will not be in until about June 2013, 6 months later, and nothing else on the horizon, when they said they had enough content to make KOTOR 3-9 and beyond. SWTOR should have been swamped with content at this stage of its life

I think SWTOR is a better designed game than STO, but SWTOR is just been left to go stale, and Perfect World are doing better things for it to keep you playing, which is why I play STO and not SWTOR, and STO is no SWG either

EA are just using the cartel market just to add more items to buy even for subscribers, and not adding in any gameplay or events, which they have even proved they have done.

It may be my opinion, but it is also shared by MILLIONS of players, who all quit SWTOR a few months after launch, and I think SWTOR was a better game before F2P too. SWTOR is now just about getting as much money from players as possible. Other F2P games are similar but they offer more gameplay for your money. and not so brutal. Try some other F2P games, they are a lot more fun, unless you actually prefer games with a "I win" / Cheat button ie buy stuff straight from the store with cash, and get everything without actually playing a game? Personally I like to be able to play a game, and earn the items, it is much more fun

WOW has christmas event, LOTRO has christmas event, STO has christmas event, GW2 has christmas event, etc but SWTOR has no event and just items for sale for more real money on the Cartel Market

mrrshann618

Novice Member

12/26/12 11:15:09 PM#42

As a matter of fact I do play other free MMO

STO -> Ferengi Tactical officer, made 50 without even trying

Fallen Earth -> Running around crafting, actually extremely fun, but I have to be in the mood to play

Aion -> I only touched this game because of Tabula Rasa and till this day I cannot get the stink from my hands. I relogged to try "Totally Free to play" and the game play is the same, Grind Grind Grin, oh quest to grind 50 mobs, then quest to grind another 50 ofthe same mob, How fun. SWTOR is hundreds of times better than this even with the EXP "problem"

LOTRO -> I Love the warden class. This f2p I've spent the most on in any game (2nd is on STO). However I tire quickly of fantasy games so this is in the same boat as Fallen Earth.

Knight -> Gold farmers everywhere, couldn't stand it

Rappelz -> I do not want to buy a frelling stamina potion just to play the frelling game

Age of Conan -> Touched base, haven't played enough for f2p to actually "ruin" my game.

TSW -> now it is technically free to play, have absolutely no problems with it or the cash shop. I'm a lifer and have no problems "getting gyped" on my monthly allowance.

GW2 ->Also technically f2p, kind of a yawn game, no real need to gems if you do not care.

Several more, but I haven't touched them in so long becuase they all fall under the Knight and Rappelz style that I do not want to remember. I did play Runescape for a while and while it was annoying that my paying friend could just use a gate while I have to go all-the-way-arround was annoying it was hardly game breaking.

All f2p listed above have a different model. yet NONE have I seen the vitriol aimed at them over their f2p model that SWTOR has. People bitch that SWTOR PvP sucks rubber balls. Historically the PVE centered games have all sucked at PvP balance. it is impossible to have a class balanced in both. Everyone sings praises of WoW and thier PvP, however no one seems to understand that WOW didn't have PvP for a long and, and for longer after that it was also screwed up.

Hevean forbid I speak ill of WoW but WoW seems to be given a "free pass" card at any slight that they do, but anyone else does something similar and they are treated like the anti-christ.

SWTOR has been left outto dry in more than one way. EA and the Population. While "millions" of subs were lost, many (at the time of them unsubbing as I WAS around to read all about it) left becuase of more than "this game's PvP blows" it was more along the lines of "This is not SWG2, I was hoping it would be"

Reduced EXP no more unbalances the game than Rested exp does. A Sub who religiously logs out in a tavern will EASILY level faster than a sub who does not.

A person who uses exp bosts will easily outpace anyone who does not. The limitation alone is not an unbalancing factor. My friend had 3 times more ability to play than I did, thus he had 3 50's when I finally made my first. Isn't that unbalancing?

Swtor is in the middle of a relaunch, last time SWTOR had a christmas event and had the snowmen with Bat'laths they recieved HUGE ammounts of flack about the purity of Star Wars even though it was a kind hearted nudge to "the other guys" As a developer getting crap "thrown" at me because I dared acknowledge "the other guy" I'd tell all you elites jerks to screw off also. Also, Ohh no they do not have a holiday festival, nowhere other than the entitled mindset does it state that there must be one. I did not Log into ANY of my other MMO's BECAUSE of the holiday events.

superniceguy

Novice Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

12/27/12 5:55:25 AM#43

Reduced EXP no more unbalances the game than Rested exp does. A Sub who religiously logs out in a tavern will EASILY level faster than a sub who does not.

Not to the same degree though. The game is designed with enough non rested XP to get through the game adequately, and rested XP just gives a sligfht boost and levels faster to outlevelling the game. The game was not designed with the reduced XP from F2P.

When they said about the XP I thought they meant F2P players would not get rest XP, which would have been fair enough, not reduced further again

In other MMOs like WOW/LOTRO you can do quests from other classes/race paths, but in SWTOR you can not. It would have been good to do the side quests in Ord Mantell for a Knight/Consular, and Tython for Smuggler/Commando but can not, and then the rest of the game just shares the same side quests, where as im WOW and LOTRO you get a whole load of separate quests each.

So it makes it more fun to level up in WOW and LOTRO as you can get more quests to do instead of just grinding on mobs and space mission to make up the lost XP. In STO you get XP no matter what, as each mission is scaled to your own level, plus there are more daily quests and such to do to get more XP. Reduced XP in these games would not have unbalanced them at all, and the ironic thing is in STO and LOTRO you do not get reduced XP but can buy XP boosts which would end up outlevlling subbed players, but in SWTOR it mostly certainly does unbalance the game. If SWTOR had a mission terminal or something where it would generate random mssions then that would help too, or they added in more missions to do. In STO I am level 49 now, and have not done half of the story missions, due to many varied ways to level up, making it easier to level up more chars ans can skip some missions too if already done on other char and do missions not done on other character. SWTOR does not have this, and the reduced XP just makes the levelling boring, repetitive, and without the rewards makes it less rewarding too.

SWTORs design of F2P is just a mess, and the one thing they should be selling in the CM before Life Day items is extra char slots which they keep saying is coming but has not yet. This is the main factor why I am notplaying the game, as can not create another character to carry on playing. Soon I will be able to though, but currently it is a game breaker.

superniceguy

Novice Member

12/27/12 6:08:52 AM#44

Swtor is in the middle of a relaunch, last time SWTOR had a christmas event and had the snowmen with Bat'laths they recieved HUGE ammounts of flack about the purity of Star Wars even though it was a kind hearted nudge to "the other guys" As a developer getting crap "thrown" at me because I dared acknowledge "the other guy" I'd tell all you elites jerks to screw off also. Also, Ohh no they do not have a holiday festival, nowhere other than the entitled mindset does it state that there must be one. I did not Log into ANY of my other MMO's BECAUSE of the holiday events.

The christmas events are obviosuly not the be all and end all of MMOs, but they have proved they have done events in the past, and probbaly would have done one if it had not gone F2P with the cartel market. The lack of an event just shows they not willing to put any effort on the game at all (together with Makeb releasing June 2013 and not before the end of 2012), and to stick ALL Life Day items on the Cartel Market to buy for real money? It is a bit stingy of EA/BW not to give one item free to subscribers. They did before the Cartel Market - Tauntaun pet, and a few items for transferring to or being on a server not being shut down etc

Why not stick them on an existing vendor and buy with in game credits or commendations? If you want the items then, you have to PLAY the game and get them, and makes for a more rewarding experince. In STO you can even play the game and convert dilithium into ZEN, so if you play the game enough you do not need to spend any money. If SWTOR had this then it would have been better as well - Play the game and get commendations or whatever and then convert them to Cartel Coins, and then get the items.

Returning to the game just to PAY more money for Life Day items is not attractive at all, when it will all be lost when the game shuts down, but if there was some game play attached to getting these items, then I would still have the fun of getting these items, when the game shuts down it will not take the fun away from me. [Disclaimer: not saying game will shut down soon here, but one day it will]

The thing is though I like these events, and if they did one I would play and maybe even sub to the game, so that is a player lost because of this. I sub to a lot of MMOs at christmas, and I like Star Wars, KOTOR, Bioware, MMOs, so SWTOR should be a sure thing, but sadly it is not. SWTOR is the only MMO I am not playing tis christmas - sad

kevjards

Apprentice Member

12/27/12 6:23:08 AM#45
Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
I can honestly say that if SWTOR had went buy to play rather than creating such a silly free to play model with a cash shop where you have to purchase parts of the original UI (hotbars) then I would actually support them. As it is... Well, it's like watching NASCAR and feeling guilty because you know you are only tuning in to see the car crashes. 

still not too late to go b2p..worked out for funcom and TSW..in all honesty i dont think the game is has bad as peeps suggest..just the company behind it..and that in itself will do the game harm..remember the rep funcom had before TSW..at least they have gained some of their credibility back.its EA's approach thats all wrong..and they take no interest in what the players think..and i know because atm i sub to SWTOR.

Loke666

Elite Member

12/27/12 6:57:08 AM#46
Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
I can honestly say that if SWTOR had went buy to play rather than creating such a silly free to play model with a cash shop where you have to purchase parts of the original UI (hotbars) then I would actually support them. As it is... Well, it's like watching NASCAR and feeling guilty because you know you are only tuning in to see the car crashes. 

They should have done that from the start then. You either start with B2P or go F2P.

But yeah, they should have taken more hints from NC soft and less from SOE for the F2P revamp. Or they should have also worked on fixing the gameplay before going F2P because I dont believe P2P was the real problem. 

As a MMO they just needed to add a lot more multiplayer content and work harder on the group dynamics. The sologame is fun but that keeps few players busy for long, what really keeps us MMO players going in the long run have always been group content.

And no, I would prefer if they fix up the game instead of running it into the ground. I like Star wars and if they actually fixed the game and then made it F2P would help both the players and EA. Just making a game that goes badly F2P is not enough today, you also needs to make the game more fun so more people enjoy it.

mrrshann618

Novice Member

12/27/12 6:18:14 PM#47

I'll fully agree that EA's approach to the f2p model did start out bad. It is their first attempt at it. However as things have progressed we are seeing a definate shift in the difference between preferred and totally f2p.

This is an obvious indication that they are fixing things as they go. The more feedback on things, the more players are into the game, the more likely things are going to be adjusted to a "norm". However, as I stated, it is the vitriol that is spouting about the hate of the model by people who have not given it a real chance. I see posts "logged in 20 min saw the model and deleted game from comp" all the time. It is many of these same people who come on here and spout hatered over the "faults" of the currently infant f2p model.

I'm not buying thing willy nilly from the store because they are "limted time" I will pay for things that I do consider that I want. I view the UI bars as such: "Prefs and subs have paid for them, I personally do not see the need for more than 2, I have a lvl 50 knight and can easily fit my manuvers on the bars. My extras such as buffs, quick travel, mounts ect. I just hit "P" , Ohh NOOO I have to wait 1 more second, or have an additional keystroke.

Hiding armor. Purely cosmetic, doesn't effect gameplay one bit, you want it pay for it, Subs do

Unifying color, I played at the beginning when you couldn't, You want it pay for it Subs do.

People getting bent out of shape over LUXURY items just really ticks me off. Screw "industry standard" when in reality all they are talking about it WoW. You like WoW so much Why you here? So they changed their mind over Makeb, it isn't like companies haven't changed their mind in the past. NcSoft is notorious for axing popular things because they felt like it. I personally do not think the players of CoX deserved what they got. Companies in the long run do not care about the customer. All they care about is the money comming at them, it doesn't matter the company. Blizzard is no exception as proven by the launch of Diablo III. Their PvP model was promised but axed, while I saw some hate, not nearly the level that is aimed at this game.

Personally I like the LOTRO model of f2p. While I do not like the grind to get the "free" points it is a tiny taste of things to come, the nibbles that they offer gave me HUGE incentive to continue on in Lotro (been playing since day 1, even after the f2p conversion. Bioware (not EA) is still attepting to show that they care. Given EA's background I would definately state that the minor restructuring that is going on in the f2p model is driven by the Bioware team.

Deewe

Advanced Member

12/29/12 9:09:23 AM#48

I'll fully agree that EA's approach to the f2p model did start out bad. It is their first attempt at it. However as things have progressed we are seeing a definate shift in the difference between preferred and totally f2p.

It did not improve. One example being the cartel packs scam.

This is an obvious indication that they are fixing things as they go. The more feedback on things, the more players are into the game, the more likely things are going to be adjusted to a "norm". However, as I stated, it is the vitriol that is spouting about the hate of the model by people who have not given it a real chance. I see posts "logged in 20 min saw the model and deleted game from comp" all the time. It is many of these same people who come on here and spout hatered over the "faults" of the currently infant f2p model.

It does not takes more to grasp the F2P model. Log in game check the CC store, eventually move around a bit or try to interact with other players and you are done. Especially if it's not your first, even less if you played others F2P games.

I'm not buying thing willy nilly from the store because they are "limted time" I will pay for things that I do consider that I want. I view the UI bars as such: "Prefs and subs have paid for them, I personally do not see the need for more than 2, I have a lvl 50 knight and can easily fit my manuvers on the bars. My extras such as buffs, quick travel, mounts ect. I just hit "P" , Ohh NOOO I have to wait 1 more second, or have an additional keystroke.

Among others, I have a level 50 Juggernaught and I can say I use 5 bars. I could go down to 4 maybe 3 but it would be a pain to play especially as I do both PvE and PvP, solo and multiplayer sessions. Then not saying UI isn't needed, still why should we accept paying for subpar UI features when we have better UI in other games and even more free UI addons and skins?

Hiding armor. Purely cosmetic, doesn't effect gameplay one bit, you want it pay for it, Subs do

Unifying color, I played at the beginning when you couldn't, You want it pay for it Subs do.

For some of us it affects gameplay a lot as MMO aren't only about killing mobs. Following your logic, to some extend, you'd be fine to play a MUD because graphics are purely cosmetic.

Then once again, in other F2P MMO not only we can hide way more gear slots like: shoulder pads, hands, back, even feet, but also we have 2 or 3 dyeable  areas per item, versus in TOR they make people pay for changing one or two hue value (hint check Revan's set)

People getting bent out of shape over LUXURY items just really ticks me off. Screw "industry standard" when in reality all they are talking about it WoW. You like WoW so much Why you here? So they changed their mind over Makeb, it isn't like companies haven't changed their mind in the past. NcSoft is notorious for axing popular things because they felt like it. I personally do not think the players of CoX deserved what they got. Companies in the long run do not care about the customer. All they care about is the money comming at them, it doesn't matter the company. Blizzard is no exception as proven by the launch of Diablo III. Their PvP model was promised but axed, while I saw some hate, not nearly the level that is aimed at this game.

There's a fine line between driving a company to make profit and blatantly milking players. TOR is in the second range. I guess you don't need me to lecture you on their, well behaviour?

Personally I like the LOTRO model of f2p. While I do not like the grind to get the "free" points it is a tiny taste of things to come, the nibbles that they offer gave me HUGE incentive to continue on in Lotro (been playing since day 1, even after the f2p conversion. Bioware (not EA) is still attepting to show that they care. Given EA's background I would definately state that the minor restructuring that is going on in the f2p model is driven by the Bioware team.

Intergesting. You agree on paying for UI features (free in LotRo) but then you don't like that Turbines allows you to earn, in game, Turbine points? Thing is if you don't want to grind in LotRo you can pay for them, they are leaving you the choice.

First if you think it's still BioWare you are delusional. (I'll post a few links later). Then apart fixing things they should not have messed up at first they aren't really showing they care, even less they listen to player feedback.

mrrshann618

Novice Member

12/30/12 8:40:03 AM#49
Originally posted by Deewe

EA's approach to the f2p model did start out bad.

It did not improve. One example being the cartel packs scam.

So you are saying that packs are the downfall of a f2p mmo? So then you are blanket stating that STO's lockboxes are failures, GW2's Lockboxes are Failures, Fallen Earth's lockboxes are failures, ect...

Lockboxes do not dictate a f2p Model. As for improvement, The f2p model is already being adjusted, to suggest otherwise simply means you are not paying attention to the progression that is currently and has already happened.

It does not takes more to grasp the F2P model. Log in game check the CC store, eventually move around a bit or try to interact with other players and you are done. Especially if it's not your first, even less if you played others F2P games.

Cartel store is not a f2p model, unless you are stating that WoW is f2p. I have tried out completely f2p, I made an account to see the different between my premium and the lowest teir. There are definately differences, and many of those differences are put in place to "help" the common population against spammers and gold farmers from making a ton of frree accounts and spamming up the worlds. The totally f2p model is specifically designed to make you spend money, IN ALL GAMES, just because you are not handed an easy button here does not invalidate the model.

Among others, I have a level 50 Juggernaught and I can say I use 5 bars. I could go down to 4 maybe 3 but it would be a pain to play especially as I do both PvE and PvP, solo and multiplayer sessions. Then not saying UI isn't needed, still why should we accept paying for subpar UI features when we have better UI in other games and even more free UI addons and skins?

Kinda funny, I have a 50 Guardian, I can get by with 2 ACTIVE bars, you do understand that there are multple slots to the main bar right? I have one set for PVE, I have 1 set for PVP, I have one set for tanking. Now what I did is set the "universal" buttons on the second bar which does not change drastically. I've never understood this new generations inability to properly organize things. My Wife suffers from it and I am constantly reorganizing things for her on various games. Showing her ways to group skills, showing her skills that are only situational and putting them on "bar 2" (not a second active bar). In the past there have been many games that only offer a single active action bar but there were more than enough skills to fill those bars, you actually had to choose which ones you were going to use rather than have everything out there.

For some of us it affects gameplay a lot as MMO aren't only about killing mobs. Following your logic, to some extend, you'd be fine to play a MUD because graphics are purely cosmetic.

Then once again, in other F2P MMO not only we can hide way more gear slots like: shoulder pads, hands, back, even feet, but also we have 2 or 3 dyeable  areas per item, versus in TOR they make people pay for changing one or two hue value (hint check Revan's set)

As a matter of fact one of my first computerized RPG experiences was on ZORK. I used to help program for several MUD and MUSH. I assisted with Harad on Elendor MUSH when they were switching over to what we called "Dynamic Space" for the desert. Pirate 101 and Wizard 101 are proof that graphics are not everything. I play them and personally think that they are far more entertaining than many of the MMO out there. BTW They also have far more restrictions in those games than most f2p especially if you actually want to do anything past lvl 10.

I have checked out the Reven Set, how does that have any bearing? You are describing LUXURY items. I'm all for having them make you pay for LUXURY items

Personally I like the LOTRO model of f2p. While I do not like the grind to get the "free" points it is a tiny taste of things to come, the nibbles that they offer gave me HUGE incentive to continue on in Lotro (been playing since day 1, even after the f2p conversion.

Intergesting. You agree on paying for UI features (free in LotRo) but then you don't like that Turbines allows you to earn, in game, Turbine points? Thing is if you don't want to grind in LotRo you can pay for them, they are leaving you the choice.

Weather of not I like the grind is personal preferance. I don't like grinding period, one big reason why I hate "Korean" style MMO's. I do have the ability to agree with how they are doing things, but not like them. I NEVER stated that I do not like that turbine alows you to earn them. I stated that I do not like to personally grind to get those free points. It isthe bee's knees that they allow you to get them if that is your cup of tea. Earning those free points in that fashion is not my cup of tea. That does not mean that I will not do it "just to get that extra 5 I need" it simply means that I will not intentionally go out of my way to farm every area to get those points

User Deleted
12/30/12 3:29:57 PM#50

Problem is that they thought things like restricted quickbars were good ideas in the first place.

mrrshann618

Novice Member

12/30/12 4:07:01 PM#51

Lets see

They are giving you the main story behind an MMO for completely free

They gave the additional bonus of limited Flashpoints, PVP, and space missions for free

They only gave you 2 ACTIVE toolbars at a time.

I'm not seeing any problem here. I've leveled a Jedi Guardian and an Imperial Sniper up to 50 with useing 2 and a half toolbars. The half were merely filled with the things that I were not required as part of an active combat scenario (quicktravel, buffs, ect...) So I could have easily gone without them.

The main tool bar has multiple quickbars available, I'm sure there are 6 quickbars that can be activated at any time.

So, quickbar 1 is the default active

Quickbar 2 is the 2nd one they give you.

That leaves quickbars 3-6 unused by the lazy masses who can not spend a little time to configure these ahead of time. YET if you do not know a flashpoint/instance (on ANY GAME) inside and out you are booted from the party. So people can spend hours researching a single fight in an instance but can not be bothered with configuring multiple "situational" toolbars?

You know what, it only costs $5 to get extra toolbars, and you do not even have to purchase the toolbars themselves. Buy some extended cargo space, or access to a new race and BOOM you magicaly have more active toolbars. I Paid retail to get my extra toolbars. People spout the catchphrase "$15 a month isn't that much to spend" Well a one time cost of $5 is even less.

superniceguy

Novice Member

12/30/12 4:18:50 PM#52

It would have been better to charge for about 2 planets at a time, and made level 15 / up until Corusant) like the trial was, and paid to unlock ship although that would come with the 2 planets that came after the ship. Locking out elements of the UI, restrciting XP and quest rewards, is just dumb.  Then when they added in Makeb tagged it to the end

Also the weekly passes is just milking it, other MMOs just unlock it and then need not purchase again. Because I have no intentions on constantly buying the passes, as may not get to play enough in the week, I see no point in buying these passes even once.

It makes the game not very playable the way they have done it

mrrshann618

Novice Member

12/30/12 4:27:55 PM#53
Originally posted by superniceguy

It would have been better to charge for about 2 planets at a time, and made level 15 / up until Corusant) like the trial was, and paid to unlock ship although that would come with the 2 planets that came after the ship. Locking out elements of the UI, restrciting XP and quest rewards, is just dumb.  Then when they added in Makeb tagged it to the end

Also the weekly passes is just milking it, other MMOs just unlock it and then need not purchase again.

It makes the game not very playable the way they have done it

That version is very much like what some games are doing with their "extended trials"

Warhammer online has the empire and Chaos zones for free, level as many characters as you want up to level 10

Rift has the first zones for free, roughly lvl 20. but If I remember correctly you only get 2 character slots.

Locking the UI elements do not bother me. I paid for my game so much of my UI is unlocked, and it really is cheep to get prefered status. Restricting exp, again I have no issue most games that are on the market nowaday level you to fast I feel like I'm being pushed out of zones many times. Well I know that in STO if you are not a sub you get restricted quest/level achievment rewards, other games do it, wonder why it is such an issue in SWTOR.

Makeb is a pain I agree there. I wish it could have been purchased as part of the Cartel shop. That way not only are you purchasing the expansion, but you are recieving prefered status as an added bonus. I would have been more acceptable of the "no longer free" approach.

Sadly the game that they have given you, the one they said they are giving you is completely playable. it is all the extras that people seem to think they are entitled to that make people complain.

superniceguy

Novice Member

12/30/12 4:33:12 PM#54
 Well I know that in STO if you are not a sub you get restricted quest/level achievment rewards, other games do it, wonder why it is such an issue in SWTOR.

I haven't noticed any restrictions on STO, and I have played it loads with one Lifetime account and one free account.

mrrshann618

Novice Member

12/30/12 4:45:46 PM#55

I've had problem purchasing certain ship packs as a f2p, even though I have enough zen I cannot purchase the REALLY big ships for either Fed or Klingon (this was before the requirement of a fleet module).

There were several advancement rewards that you only got 1 of insead of 2. As a f2p I recieved no skill respecs even though you are to get several as a sub. Log on with you f2p account and take a look. You will see a definate "gimp" of rewards that you get for simply being f2p.

superniceguy

Novice Member

12/30/12 4:59:19 PM#56

I've had problem purchasing certain ship packs as a f2p, even though I have enough zen I cannot purchase the REALLY big ships for either Fed or Klingon (this was before the requirement of a fleet module).

There were several advancement rewards that you only got 1 of insead of 2. As a f2p I recieved no skill respecs even though you are to get several as a sub. Log on with you f2p account and take a look. You will see a definate "gimp" of rewards that you get for simply being f2p.

Nothing really worthwhile to worry about there, as you can get it from the store if you want, but each and every quest in SWTOR you do not get the rewards, and a message pops up saying you need to be a sub to get it. All quest rewards in STO you get, even the special limited time rewards in the episode re-runs currently on.

baphamet

Advanced Member

12/30/12 5:51:47 PM#57

Originally posted by Karteli

Are players really going to jump in and start playing SWTOR just to use the cash-shop?  EA seems so far removed from what players want.

people only looking to play a free game is not their target when it comes to the cartel market.

there are people who actually do subscribe to this game and are willing to spend money on it.

those are the people that they are hoping will spend the money in the cartel market.

the F2P model was implemented to bring players in who only want to play a free game in hopes to force them to sub by having so many restrictions on the game.

its really quite simple to see what they are trying to do and it seems to be working.

simplius

Novice Member

1/01/13 8:22:49 PM#58
Originally posted by baphamet

Are players really going to jump in and start playing SWTOR just to use the cash-shop?  EA seems so far removed from what players want.

people only looking to play a free game is not their target when it comes to the cartel market.

there are people who actually do subscribe to this game and are willing to spend money on it.

those are the people that they are hoping will spend the money in the cartel market.

the F2P model was implemented to bring players in who only want to play a free game in hopes to force them to sub by having so many restrictions on the game.

its really quite simple to see what they are trying to do and it seems to be working.

oh yes,,they know their customers by now

perhaps they are making a little on F2P unlocks, but most comes from the hardcore fans

and some of them still go for it ,,at least for now

aRtFuLThinG

Novice Member

1/01/13 9:14:23 PM#59

EA for Christmas: release I whole heap of useless stuff on cash shop that is not on discount and doesn't even really make your toon look better

SOE for Christmas: Triple station cash discount on the friday 21st of Dec, on top of double xp for the entire period Christmas until new years holidays.

Nuff said.

superniceguy

Novice Member

1/01/13 9:41:11 PM#60
Originally posted by baphamet

It is only a month and a half since F2P. I do not see that many people constantly keep chucking money on the game when content and updates just gets slower and slower, unless they have not played a MMO before and do not know what to expect. SWTOR is getting updated slower than single player games.

This is the only reason why I am not investing time and money into it, because I do not feel the game is worth it, for what the EA/BW are doing with it. They are the ones stating it is a MMO, but it is not being worked on like one. The game needs to be B2P, or should have been a single player game with multiplayer options, and be released for consoles too, with regular DLC like Mass Effect. Paying a monthly fee to Mass Effect would be outrageous, and the same goes for SWTOR

Is it still getting them $7.5 million per month which is what they say is neeed to break even? My guess is the current players are not meeting this still, and they are just taking what ever money they can get to make back the cost of the game. Unless NEW content comes fast in 2013, which so far is not looking like it as even Makeb which was announced in June 2012 (and the space project was mentioned about then or before that too) for a 2012 release, will not be in game until Spring / June 2013, I do not see the game lasting into 2014. They probably took a 2 year contract on the licence, and will be up for renewal within the year, and if they do not get enough to pay for it, then they will have to shut it down.

They should have gone for people wanting to play a free game, as those willing to put money on the game would do so no matter what anyway, but it would have made people get into the game more.

In STO that is mostly free, and other than a couple of months subbing on my free account, I managed to get to max level without spending much at all, and now I am involved with the game. SWTOR is better crafted game than STO, but STO is great and better than SWTOR because 1) It has a way better space game 2) It is more free 3) Has more game features  4) Perfect World are doing more for the game than BW/EA are, and is making more profit even if not getting enough money as SWTOR as does not have a $7.5 million monthly target and has a healthy looking future.

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Search