Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2 | Skyforge | ArcheAge

    Facebook Twitter YouTube Twitch.tv
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:3,024,242 Users Online:0
Games:840  Posts:6,479,570
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Setting:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Makeb expansion patch---------SWTOR's possible comeback attempt?

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
24 posts found
  Paddyspub

Novice Member

Joined: 6/01/12
Posts: 104

"Top Flight Security of the world, Craig."

 
OP  12/22/12 9:08:27 AM#1

 

 

...............or last gasp at trying to achieve stability numbers wise.    I dunno, this game has got  quite an uphill battle to be able to "stabilize" on "moderate" subs.

 

 

EAware's F2P fiasco with its nickel and dime approach doesnt help tho.

Paddyspub Xfire Miniprofile
  erictlewis

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/08/08
Posts: 3068

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

12/22/12 9:11:35 AM#2

How many times have we heard that alread.  1.3 will save the game,  hey 1.4 will save the game,  Hey look we got cash items for sale for lifeday that will save the game.   Honestly every time we hear about an update it is always this is going to save the game. 

Who knows if the content is good it might. 

 

  CyclopsSlayer

Novice Member

Joined: 1/31/04
Posts: 533

12/22/12 9:13:37 AM#3

They would have to change core mechanics and not just add more of the same shallow content to draw the crowds back.

Wow, another narrow, channelled, bland planet, with the same ignorable voice acting is just sooooo exciting...

  ramalhosa

Novice Member

Joined: 4/03/04
Posts: 15

12/22/12 9:23:12 AM#4

Actually, I'm having fun again in the game, playing without rush to max, like first time.

Enjoying the goods of the game, in the rich story they created, paying attention to the story details

Enjoying the pvp on battlefields and in world, even when I loose, enjoying the game artstyle, etc etc.

Yes there still times with spike lags, and bugs still unresolved from the beta, but if anyone can enjoy the rest of the game despite those "little" problems, the game is fun, and games are about fun.

I can still have the  adrenaline on instance PVP or the enjoy of the story PVE, and

FOR ME I'm enjoying it again, maybe i growed up on my game style, despite my age.

Last time i could get 3 toons to max with craft maxed with equipment of the hard mode FP's, etc etc in 2 months, now with one already played, i subbed again and enjoying all the game, and by the way not even got to 40.

 

Play the games to have fun, and not to max out, that's the way mmo's were imagined before, and for me that's why they worked so well in the past.

  superniceguy

Elite Member

Joined: 2/17/07
Posts: 2289

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

12/22/12 9:23:26 AM#5
If they put this in now, when they said it would be, and they had more stuff announced coming for Spring 2013 as an expansion, then all this attention from EA/BW might do the trick, but considering this stuff was also meant to be free and now they change their mind and charge for it, EA are having a laugh.
  MurlockDance

Apprentice Member

Joined: 6/20/10
Posts: 1225

12/22/12 9:37:02 AM#6

I think the switch to F2P was EA's bid for a comeback attempt rather than the expac. So far, there are a lot of new players, but how many will resub? I haven't resubbed yet.

The Makeb expansion is pretty expensive for non-subbed players. I am not sure that it will work in getting froobs to poney up money. For the current subscribers and fans of the game, it is not an issue.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

  birdycephon

Novice Member

Joined: 8/08/09
Posts: 1327

Not Safe For Woona (NSFW)

12/22/12 9:38:55 AM#7
As much as I love SWTOR, I think they would need more than just a new side-quest planet to come back. Whatever it is that they haven't announced yet, better be good, or I fear that they are toast.
  SBE1

Novice Member

Joined: 6/05/06
Posts: 344

12/22/12 10:24:19 AM#8
I can't recall any MMO game other than maybe WoW where the company did an large patch update and a lot of previous subscribers re-subbed.  Hence, why does anyone think a specific patch is going to be a game changer financially for the company?  At this point, every patch and expansion is just milking the existing player base for more $$.  Nothing wrong with that, as that's the business, but expecting a huge number of previous subs to come back is just fantasy.
  Demmi77

Novice Member

Joined: 2/20/08
Posts: 226

12/22/12 5:42:55 PM#9

swtor is just a great leveling game and that's it. We all hoped for more, but with each passing month and each passing patch it's obvious this game is heading in the wrong direction.

They are not even advancing class stories in an "expansion" ....this , just like every other major content patch will be released missing some promised aspect.

When they make an attempt to make a game that is enjoyable post 50 i'll take a look, not going to be forced to spend money on a subscription in a f2p game only to see that there is game breaking items to be purchased in the cash shop.

Really dissapointed on the way bioware has treated its customers/fans. I hope this game dies and they just re-open swg , at least i could choose what i wanted to do in swg. This game was and will continue to be the "waterworld" of mmo's

  Karteli

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/09/12
Posts: 2704

12/22/12 10:09:02 PM#10

Save the game? Hmm

 

Help the game? OK.

 

SWTOR still needs rudirmentary Star Wars'y stuff like Space Combat.  EA would have a much easier time selling fluff items in a freeroam expansion than they would have selling P2W items with the current game.

 

A comeback? Well, here's what I want to see:

 

Freeroam Space adventure? Yes

Open casinos and corruption? Yes

Pazaak / Sabaac? Yes

Swoop Racing / Pod Racing? Yes

Environmental effects & Day / Night cycle? Yes

NPC's on a Day / Night cycle? Yes

Roleplay features, like sitting in chairs and chatbubbles? Yes

More of the same rehashed content? No thanks.

 

BTW Christmas colors! Merry Christma! !

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

  tixylix

Hard Core Member

Joined: 12/02/11
Posts: 1223

12/23/12 1:16:09 AM#11

Wasnt it free when they announced it earlier in the year? I can't see people paying for it in a chance it makes the game good lol. I find their F2P model to be bad, stuff like this has to be free but then charge for items n shit, especially when they're trying to save the game and get ppl back.

  Hazelle

Novice Member

Joined: 1/20/11
Posts: 773

12/23/12 2:33:26 AM#12
Originally posted by ramalhosa

Actually, I'm having fun again in the game, playing without rush to max, like first time.

Enjoying the goods of the game, in the rich story they created, paying attention to the story details

Enjoying the pvp on battlefields and in world, even when I loose, enjoying the game artstyle, etc etc.

Yes there still times with spike lags, and bugs still unresolved from the beta, but if anyone can enjoy the rest of the game despite those "little" problems, the game is fun, and games are about fun.

I can still have the  adrenaline on instance PVP or the enjoy of the story PVE, and

FOR ME I'm enjoying it again, maybe i growed up on my game style, despite my age.

Last time i could get 3 toons to max with craft maxed with equipment of the hard mode FP's, etc etc in 2 months, now with one already played, i subbed again and enjoying all the game, and by the way not even got to 40.

 

Play the games to have fun, and not to max out, that's the way mmo's were imagined before, and for me that's why they worked so well in the past.

You could have that exact same experience playing a single player RPG with multiplayer battlegrounds.

  thamighty213

Novice Member

Joined: 9/17/06
Posts: 1648

12/23/12 2:49:52 AM#13

1.7 which we believe is before the expansion is the possible comeback attempt there is to be a lot of class balance in it,  it's swtors last chance to get things right.

I personally left again as 9 month since the only class I really like in Mando was made just about useless in PVP and with further recent nerfs to cryo range etc its simply not enjoyable theres been a glut of day 1 mando's leave recently as the neglect has reached breaking point.

1.7 is that chance to get us back on a level playing field but I fear its already too late and have zero faith in the class balance devs as some recentl changes just reek of the fact they use PVE metrics to balance with and don't actually play their own game.

I'll have a read of the patch notes when they come along I certainly won't be diving head first into a resub.  In the meantime playing that which must remain unamed with my old SWG guild and realising why I fell in love with a SW MMO in the 1st place.

  DavisFlight

Novice Member

Joined: 9/25/12
Posts: 2604

12/23/12 2:57:13 AM#14
Originally posted by erictlewis

How many times have we heard that alread.  1.3 will save the game,  hey 1.4 will save the game,  Hey look we got cash items for sale for lifeday that will save the game.   Honestly every time we hear about an update it is always this is going to save the game. 

Who knows if the content is good it might. 

 

This. The core mechanics of the game make it so that it will NEVER be a success.

  User Deleted
12/23/12 3:01:26 AM#15

It's an end-game content patch, which would be fine if the game had good sub numbers for players at max level.  It does nothing to address the main issue with F2P, which is that it tends to aggrivate new players with all the restrictions making it less likely they've stick it out to the point that the new patch even become relevant for them.

And since they aren't doing anything to attract new *stable* players, it doesn't help the subscribers any.

  MurlockDance

Apprentice Member

Joined: 6/20/10
Posts: 1225

12/23/12 7:40:25 AM#16
Originally posted by Karteli

Save the game? Hmm

 

Help the game? OK.

 

SWTOR still needs rudirmentary Star Wars'y stuff like Space Combat.  EA would have a much easier time selling fluff items in a freeroam expansion than they would have selling P2W items with the current game.

 

A comeback? Well, here's what I want to see:

 

Freeroam Space adventure? Yes

Open casinos and corruption? Yes

Pazaak / Sabaac? Yes

Swoop Racing / Pod Racing? Yes

Environmental effects & Day / Night cycle? Yes

NPC's on a Day / Night cycle? Yes

Roleplay features, like sitting in chairs and chatbubbles? Yes

More of the same rehashed content? No thanks.

 

BTW Christmas colors! Merry Christma! !

Those are some great suggestions! Nice post and merry Christmas to you too!

I would also love to see a neutral faction. If I had a choice to play a bounty hunter or a smuggler as a neutral, that would be so cool!

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

  Thillian

Novice Member

Joined: 5/31/06
Posts: 3235

12/23/12 7:43:39 AM#17
Originally posted by ramalhosa

Actually, I'm having fun again in the game, playing without rush to max, like first time.

Enjoying the goods of the game, in the rich story they created, paying attention to the story details

 

SWTOR has a rich story? That's like saying that Tom & Jerry has a rich story. SWTOR story is dull, boring, full of cliche and psuedo-epic moments, this is like Michael Bay on steroids. 

REALITY CHECK

  User Deleted
12/23/12 2:06:21 PM#18
Originally posted by Thillian
Originally posted by ramalhosa

Actually, I'm having fun again in the game, playing without rush to max, like first time.

Enjoying the goods of the game, in the rich story they created, paying attention to the story details

 

SWTOR has a rich story? That's like saying that Tom & Jerry has a rich story. SWTOR story is dull, boring, full of cliche and psuedo-epic moments, this is like Michael Bay on steroids. 

SWtOR tells a good story for an MMO.  That's the qualifier that seems to get left off.  It's kind of like saying PS2 has a good FPS experience.  No one expects it to mean it's on the same level as CoD or BF or whatever.  Just that it's goodd for an MMO.

  Camaro68

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/13/12
Posts: 52

12/24/12 4:33:49 AM#19

What does it need a comeback for?  This is one of the few MMOs out there that you can login and find tons of players to group with.

The WZ/Group Finder queues are awfully fast for a feature that is severely limited for F2P players.

It didn't help that Anet went around telling everybody that you don't need a sub to support a game that's been in development for 4-5 years.  I have my doubts as to whether their "business model" will hold up when you can buy a copy of GW2 on Amazon for $38 and they haven't said a word about sales since launch.

 

  saxifr

Novice Member

Joined: 2/02/05
Posts: 389

12/24/12 5:40:47 AM#20
SWTOR already had it's last chance with over a million people, who elected to walk out the door on them.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

2 Pages 1 2 » Search