Trending Games | Trove | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Marvel Heroes

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,871,616 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,254,622
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Curious as to equipment at max level

6 posts found
  MMOdad72

Novice Member

OP  12/21/12 8:46:27 PM#1

Wondered if flashpoints/instances are required to get decent high level equip or is there a currency or open world way to get good lvl 50 equip ?

I'm just not into PVE instances all that much , once for fun of it but not into it repeatedly , and am trying to decide on a permenent mmorpg home until ArcheAge/EQNext comes out. 

I know the shortfalls of the game , but could see myself trying it again , just right not I've been suggested to do Rift as there are ways to get very close to top level gear without having to do the dungeons as the only way.

I wondered if there's a way in SWTOR to get "good" (doesnt have to be uber the best) but still good gear for somene who prefers open world PVE (and PVP for that matter) vs instanced repeats ?

gaou

Keeper of the Archives

12/21/12 8:54:32 PM#2
you can get pretty decent gear by exchanging black hole commendation you get from doing the weekly quests on several planets

MMOdad72

Novice Member

OP  12/21/12 9:01:16 PM#3
Originally posted by gaou
you can get pretty decent gear by exchanging black hole commendation you get from doing the weekly quests on several planets

Ah appreciate that , and if don't mind other questions about it , are these quests able to complete yourself ?

I'm not anti grouping by any means , in fact I enjoy it , random pickups with friendly folks is how I started in EQ , just with the kids/job/wife etc sometimes my playtime is sporadic and would like to be able to solo some things to get decent equip when needed.

Was just afraid SWTOR might be a flashpoints mandatory type game , if not really waffling between coming back to it or Rift , as even with SWTORs major shortcomings I think I could enjoy it (same with Rift).

gaou

Keeper of the Archives

12/21/12 9:09:24 PM#4
Originally posted by MMOdad72

Ah appreciate that , and if don't mind other questions about it , are these quests able to complete yourself ?

I'm not anti grouping by any means , in fact I enjoy it , random pickups with friendly folks is how I started in EQ , just with the kids/job/wife etc sometimes my playtime is sporadic and would like to be able to solo some things to get decent equip when needed.

Was just afraid SWTOR might be a flashpoints mandatory type game , if not really waffling between coming back to it or Rift , as even with SWTORs major shortcomings I think I could enjoy it (same with Rift).

at least one of the quests needed for each weekly is a 4 or 2+ heroic i believe. the daily quests them selves give daily commendations which can be traded for mods that can be inserted into gear(which wont make the gear as good as the stuff you can get with black hole comms but still not bad), ear pieces and implants, and some other things and most of the dailys can be soloed. but i believe all the weeklys have a heroic that would need a party

Sevenstar61

Hard Core Member

"But it was so artistically done..." - Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words

12/21/12 9:51:07 PM#5
Originally posted by MMOdad72

at least one of the quests needed for each weekly is a 4 or 2+ heroic i believe. the daily quests them selves give daily commendations which can be traded for mods that can be inserted into gear(which wont make the gear as good as the stuff you can get with black hole comms but still not bad), ear pieces and implants, and some other things and most of the dailys can be soloed. but i believe all the weeklys have a heroic that would need a party

Black Hole commendations are gained only  for doing daily random HM FPs, weekly quests involving heroics 4+ , HM FPs and operations SM or HM. Daily commendations offer armoring, implants and earpieces, but these are the lowest level (Tionese grade) and right now you do not need to get armoring as the tionese gear you getting fro completing quest Advanced Gear is giving you 99 tionese commendations which is enough ro get full set of armor and weapon. Havinf this you can do HM FPs for Black Gole commendations.

HK-51 quest will give you 4 or 6 BH commendations, don't remember now the number, but it's not enough to get anything. The cheaperst items are around 35 BH coms the most expensive 60 I think.

HM FPs are not that difficult, but you have to have a group. I would recommend to get to good guild. HM FPS will also drop Columni gear, HM operations will drop Rakata gear. Terror from Beyond (HM) will drop the best gear in the game Dread Gear.

PS. You can get BH coms also from weekly heroic space missions. Did not try it yet... LOL. I found out hard way that the odds in flying in asteroid field are pretty slim... lasted maybe 15 second before slaming into big rock in full speed... fun times LOL

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

MMOdad72

Novice Member

OP  12/22/12 8:13:31 AM#6

While I've got no issues grouping when can (and finding a friendly guild as will be doing that no matter what game I play ) , just trying to clarify , to get reasonable gear is it essentially a requirement to do the same few instances repeatedly ?

I just dont want to redo to same isntance more than once or twice ever , just the way I enjoy games , much prefer running around in the "open world" as at least I can change it up by picking different areas , a different route , different mobs , try to aoe more at once or do X etc , at least something I can change it up etc.

I just have zero , zero desire to run a scripted instanced area more than once or twice as not in the least fun for me. Entire reason I can do large scale battlegrounds repeatedly is because players behavior changes , AI events don't. I get that some enjoy seeing how fast they can do run 27 of the same dungeon , its just not my thing.

Was hoping that could be avoided. Like the (albeit very small) chance of an incredible drop off a world mob , or equipment being pricey but not binded to everyone where it can be sold for someone who rather save up and buy a piece instead of going through the same instance again to get it, in other word options to equip yourself that still take time , just a different route chosen.