Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Star Wars: The Old Republic | EVE Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,407 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,309,756
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Lead Writer Hood: More stories!! .. but only focused on Republic vs Empire

11 posts found
  Karteli

Apprentice Member

OP  12/05/12 5:28:26 PM#1

ref:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/76854/star-wars-the-old-republic-writer-teases-upcoming-stories

Star Wars: The Old Republic writer says free-to-play transition allows more stories

by Steve Watts, Nov 30, 2012 5:00pm PST

Story has always been a defining component of BioWare's RPGs, and it was one of the major strengths of Star Wars: The Old Republic. Since going free-to-play, what does the future hold for the MMORPG?

"If anything, The Old Republic's transition to a free-to-play game will create more opportunities to advance the epic story arcs and interesting characters we introduced when the game first launched," lead writer Hall Hood said.

Speaking to Massively, Hood added: "While we don't want to spoil any of the surprises, we can say that players have a lot to look forward to in the future. The war between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire is only getting started, and there are powerful new factions rising up to make trouble for both sides."

Hood stopped short of talking about specifics, but he did name a few of the factions that he might be referring to: the Hutt Cartel, the Dread Masters, and the Shroud. It seems like each of these are threats to the players to introduce new enemy types and missions, rather than new playable factions, but you never know. Maybe they'll let us play as a gross space slug.

I guess any prospects of more class stories are now out the window.  Sure it was already speculated as such, but this is just another nail in the coffin.

:-(

PS: Wow I feel so out of touch...  lead writer Hood.  what?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Traugar

Novice Member

12/05/12 5:31:49 PM#2
How do you get no more stories when the article is about them advancing the stories?  That means more story.
  Sevenstar61

Hard Core Member

"But it was so artistically done..." - Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words

12/05/12 5:34:38 PM#3

I think more class stories will come only as expansions. This is enourmous work.

Of course as usual there might be some variations in future content depending on class, but I do not expect to have continuation of class story in update.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Draron

Novice Member

12/05/12 5:38:28 PM#4

Am I missing something? I seen nothing about no more class stories, just them introducing more Republic vs Empire elements. They're not mutually exclusive.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Of course as usual there might be some variations in future content depending on class, but I do not expect to have continuation of class story in update.

Thinking this too. Slight variations on the new storylines that play in with classes until an expansion.

Karteli

Apprentice Member

OP  12/05/12 5:41:41 PM#5
Originally posted by Traugar
How do you get no more stories when the article is about them advancing the stories?  That means more story.

It's all in the wording.  Hood says "If anything" F2P will bring more story arcs, which implies no effort has been done thus far.  But it might be nice for the future..

Then, Hood, says he doesn't want to spoil any surprises, but the next content update will be between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire. (I.E. NO STORY ARCS ANYTIME SOON)

I learned over the years to read into what EA is saying.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Draron

Novice Member

12/05/12 5:42:25 PM#6
Originally posted by Karteli

It's all in the wording.  Hood says "If anything F2P will bring more story arcs", which implies no effort has been done thus far.

Then, Hood, says he doesn't want to spoil any surprises, but the next content update will be between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire. (I.E. NO STORY ARCS ANYTIME SOON)

Right, no story arcs anytime soon. I'm pretty sure they'll continue them eventually.

Edit: Nevermind, read OP as no more class stories period. I see what you're saying now.

augustgrace

Advanced Member

12/05/12 5:52:03 PM#7

I think class stories right now really depend upon convincing EA that Swtor can increase its profit margin.  The game didn't end up where the execs expected in terms of subs, and f2p is an attempt to realign the revenue stream.  If f2p sees a steady increase in profit, then EA will start putting money into the game for things like class stories and larger expansions.

Alternatively Bioware could cut costs on the side quests, cutting out VOs and reducing cut scenes to somthing more simple, then pour the savings into other things like class quests.

I think EA/Bioware do still believe in Swtor, but they are waiting to see what affect f2p has on the bottom line before deciding on the game's future.

Elikal

Spotlight Poster

“No path is darker then when your eyes are shut.” -Flemeth

12/06/12 3:26:37 AM#8

I don't think that's so bad. While the class stories sure were great, they also sort of isolated people too much IMVPO. Think of WOW Cata: it sharpened the Ally VS Horde conflict, and that was a good thing for WOW. It's what SWTOR needs, a sharpened, highlighted story on the conflict of factions. I always missed in SWTOR to "see" the members of the other factions in my doings. The enemy was always invisible or non present, like only some mobs to kill. I am not speaking about PVP, but the chance to SEE the members of the other faction do stuff for their side. In SWTOR too many planets are Imp only or Rep only, too divided. If story and new planets make that different it is only a gain.

Class stories tended to nurture too much the narcistic isolationist streak in players, as good and cool as they were.

The problem with SWTOR was always that the class stories put a SUPER BIG expectation a MMO simply can not fulfill. In the essence, none of your class decisions have a REAL impact. Kill the Captain or not, after the Flashpoint it doesn't matter rats ass. And sort of cheapened the entire class story, making it more a gimmick. Almost none of the class story decisions has ANY result afterwards. Maybe some NPC makes a cameo experience, but thats it. If you send the boy on Hutta to the Sith and kill the Dad, if you betray the Jedi Lovers on Tython... nothing ever bites you back AT ALL. And that is a real shame. But in the end, something to be expected, because otherwise it would no longer be a MMO.

I say it again, that *I* prefer the WOW phasing solution. You work in the story on an AREA, make a choice, have an impact that results in a phased change in the world you can see. I am tired of MMos which always remain static no matter what you do, and the 3 minute reset events of GW2 are not better either. It simply doesn't last long enough in GW2 events. Even the invasions of Rift were a better impact than the 3 minute lasting GW2 events. No, I want a lasting impact. A phasing. Not everywhere, but here and there in some story events when I can decide sometimes. And then village X is either burned down or prosperous based on my doing. Maybe it is rebuilt, but within weeks, not minutes.

I still think Bioware dropped the ball when they totally ignored Phasing and the Rift-like Invasion system. Both are great features and I have NO clue why SWTOR has nothing of this.

A forum is a place where people can discuss about different opinions. So what I don't get is, how people react offended when they come to a forum and then find... well different opinions. If a different opinion offends you, what are you even doing here?

User Deleted
12/06/12 5:04:51 AM#9
Originally posted by Elikal

I don't think that's so bad. While the class stories sure were great, they also sort of isolated people too much IMVPO. Think of WOW Cata: it sharpened the Ally VS Horde conflict, and that was a good thing for WOW. It's what SWTOR needs, a sharpened, highlighted story on the conflict of factions. I always missed in SWTOR to "see" the members of the other factions in my doings. The enemy was always invisible or non present, like only some mobs to kill. I am not speaking about PVP, but the chance to SEE the members of the other faction do stuff for their side. In SWTOR too many planets are Imp only or Rep only, too divided. If story and new planets make that different it is only a gain.

Class stories tended to nurture too much the narcistic isolationist streak in players, as good and cool as they were.

The problem with SWTOR was always that the class stories put a SUPER BIG expectation a MMO simply can not fulfill. In the essence, none of your class decisions have a REAL impact. Kill the Captain or not, after the Flashpoint it doesn't matter rats ass. And sort of cheapened the entire class story, making it more a gimmick. Almost none of the class story decisions has ANY result afterwards. Maybe some NPC makes a cameo experience, but thats it. If you send the boy on Hutta to the Sith and kill the Dad, if you betray the Jedi Lovers on Tython... nothing ever bites you back AT ALL. And that is a real shame. But in the end, something to be expected, because otherwise it would no longer be a MMO.

I say it again, that *I* prefer the WOW phasing solution. You work in the story on an AREA, make a choice, have an impact that results in a phased change in the world you can see. I am tired of MMos which always remain static no matter what you do, and the 3 minute reset events of GW2 are not better either. It simply doesn't last long enough in GW2 events. Even the invasions of Rift were a better impact than the 3 minute lasting GW2 events. No, I want a lasting impact. A phasing. Not everywhere, but here and there in some story events when I can decide sometimes. And then village X is either burned down or prosperous based on my doing. Maybe it is rebuilt, but within weeks, not minutes.

I still think Bioware dropped the ball when they totally ignored Phasing and the Rift-like Invasion system. Both are great features and I have NO clue why SWTOR has nothing of this.

1. If we leave out origin planets and capital planets (noobie planets) out, out of 10 planets 2 are Rep/Imp only. Thats doesnt count like too many, thats only few. And they even had to make Voss Ka neutral grounds because all the griefing that was going on.

And i agree that they havent concentrated enough on conflict but on "3rd parties that thraten all". I dont really care about some loose droids or some Rakata guy. But that has nothing to do with planets really

2. You are wrong there, it was design decision and part of WoWification theres no consequecens whatsoever. MMO or not has nothing to do with this.

Class stories are so few that they dont impact anything, and majority agrees they were actually 1 of few things that were GOOD about SWTOR even in their watered down state.

3. This directly conflicts your 2nd point. And not using phasing was also a part of WoW-ification because they surely did say early on that your (players) actions will have direct visible consequences on stuff but delivered game has none.

They dropped the ball, somewhere along the line someone decided they just want WoW with SW skin and most of things that actually made SWTOR stand out were dropped.

artemisentr4

Apprentice Member

12/06/12 11:53:25 PM#10
Originally posted by Karteli

It's all in the wording.  Hood says "If anything" F2P will bring more story arcs, which implies no effort has been done thus far.  But it might be nice for the future..

You can also see this as the overall story between Republic and the Sith will be more confrontational. But each class will have it's own way of dealing with this increase in conflict. Leading to both new generic world stories and more class stories moving forward.

I don't see how what was said leads to no class story arcs. They only need to put in a single class story quest for each quest hub area. That's how it seems to work now. Not that difficult to do in the new PvE area to be an update IMO. But we shall see.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
R.A.Salvatore

observer

Elite Member

First came pride, then envy.

12/08/12 11:39:27 PM#11
Class stories take too much time.  It's a lot easier and faster to crank out more stories for everyone.  And it would be a lot more interesting to fuel the Empire vs. Republic war with stories.