Trending Games | Trove | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Marvel Heroes

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,871,388 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,254,436
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Why is Everyone who purchased the game, so upset with FTP?

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Search
151 posts found
  Yamota

Hard Core Member

"I fight so you don't have to."

11/19/12 3:06:23 PM#141
Originally posted by grimal

You paid the full purchase price to experience the game at launch time.

Just like when you pay the full cinema price vs. when it goes to the dollar theatre.  Same thing.

There are free cinema theaters? Not in the country where I live.

Obviously you pay less as the time goes, but you would very rarely get something for free. But then again F2P is really not free, that is just an illusion.

lizardbones

Elite Member

I think with my heart and move with my head.-Kongos

11/19/12 3:15:29 PM#142

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by grimal You paid the full purchase price to experience the game at launch time. Just like when you pay the full cinema price vs. when it goes to the dollar theatre.  Same thing.  
There are free cinema theaters? Not in the country where I live.

Obviously you pay less as the time goes, but you would very rarely get something for free. But then again F2P is really not free, that is just an illusion.

Analogies are bad. Bad, mmkay?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

lizardbones

Elite Member

I think with my heart and move with my head.-Kongos

11/19/12 3:19:44 PM#143

You paid for something that is now free, i.e. the box price. How dificult can it be to imagine that some people would be upset about it?

Imagine you bought a car and then later it was given for free. You still have to maintain the car either way but it does not change the fact that you paid for it and now people can get one for free.

Analogies are bad. Bad, bad, bad, bad.

We're not discussing cars, we're discussing MMORPG, where going F2P has become fairly common.

But since everyone wants to go the analogy route, let's run with it. A local coffee shop might start giving away samples of coffee. They won't give away samples of all their coffees, and they won't give away unlimited quantities of their coffees. They'll give away samples of their coffees for free.

If one of those samples was your favorite flavor of coffee, are you going to run off to your closest message board and start posting how that coffee shop has ripped you off?

** edit **
The car analogy is bad because (a) cars are physical merchandise and (b) for the analogy to work, people would have to only get a sample of a car with limited functionality.

For the record, I don't think the coffee analogy is super great either, because it's an analogy.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

rdrakken

Apprentice Member

11/19/12 3:20:08 PM#144

You paid for something that is now free, i.e. the box price. How dificult can it be to imagine that some people would be upset about it?

Imagine you bought a car and then later it was given for free. You still have to maintain the car either way but it does not change the fact that you paid for it and now people can get one for free.

You mean like on the Price is Right?

I am so upset at my automaker, how dare he insult me by allowing a car to be given away for free on a game show, or on that crazy local DJs radio show just because someone bobbed for an apple in a toilet in a public bathroom...ZOMG THE CRIES OH THE HUMANITZ OF IT ALL I totlz maintained my carz with monies and now someonez gettin it fer free!

/cries a river cause the worlds endin...

ThumbtackJ

Elite Member

11/19/12 3:36:57 PM#145

I'm not upset with it as a whole, but rather some of the choices they made for restrictions. The biggest one (obviously, as it's been talked about to death) being the quickslot bar restriction. Some say "you don't need more than two", but if that were the case, why bother restricting them if you truly don't need them?

Personally, I would have added another tier between Subbed and Preferred. Sort of like a 'Preferred+'. It would have been for people who bought the CE/DE (before a price drop) and/or subscribed for 'X' number of months, perhaps lifting the restrictions on 'dungeons' and PvP or something of the sort. Those people who have already purchased the game early on and/or subbed for several months, have put in more money than most free players will, so I don't see anything wrong with rewarding them for their support.

Om bhur bhuvah svah
tát savitúr váreniyam
bhárgo devásya dhimahi
dhíyo yó nah pracodáyat

User Deleted
11/20/12 2:36:09 AM#146
Originally posted by Sevenstar61
Originally posted by etlar

Im upset because:

I bought CE version, very exspensive.   subbed intil a few month b4 f2p.....got 100 cartel coins, what a joke, an insult.

and i cant play my max lvl dude without purchasing skills bars...c+mion ... a loyal customer?

Loyal customer = subbed customer. Period.

Too bad theres so few of them.

zzx81

Advanced Member

11/25/12 10:04:33 PM#147

Sometimes i dunno ppl are stupid or what, EA claims SWTOR can play for free option or choose to sub.

But the thing is you are not able to play it free as a MMORPG. It is compulsory to sub if you want to play it normally. You are not allowed to choose... Whether free to play or prefered status is hardly playable. So overall the free to play plan is a total fail cause they are telling players either you sub or you will be crippled thruout the whole gameplay experience. And when you sub why would you buy stuffs from the cartel market. And no one would be patronizing the cartel market since F2Per cant buy unlocks thru GTN due to no sane person will sell something 1200 cartel points for below 350k. Even F2Per who feels like buying cartel points to buys stuffs will feel why am i paying to buy some functions which all F2P MMO have. This game is not that unique that it is a one of a kind mmorpg in the market that it is worth it even to pay for basic functions. 

Wickedjelly

Novice Member

The Dude abides

11/26/12 5:44:57 AM#148
Can't say I am upset nor are those I know that purchased the game. Actually got some to check it out again. About the only negative remarks I've seen far as f2p goes is some think their model is fairly awful. So a couple resubbed and the rest simply wrote the game off entirely and added another note to their "Why I hate EA" memo.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

DavisFlight

Hard Core Member

11/26/12 5:55:27 AM#149
Same reason people hated it in LotRO. The people who bought the game no longer have access to all the things they used to, and have to pay more to use the things they used to.
  Margrave

Advanced Member

11/26/12 5:57:01 AM#150
I just don't like the charging for additional UI quickslot bars. Characters have more skills than the two you get as f2p. I'm fine with everything but that.
  Pratt2112

Elite Member

11/26/12 6:19:50 AM#151
Originally posted by birdycephon
I have no clue why people didnt see it comming before the game even launced.

Ohhh.... some of us suspected it wasn't going to turn out the way Bioware/EA, gamers and all the gaming media were insisting it would be.

We heard it all. It was going to blow WoW out of the water. It would change the face of MMO gaming forever. It was going to save the genre! No MMO in the future would ever be the same. The "old ways" of developing MMOs were gone. TOR was the way forward, etc. Bioware would be the one to finally topple Blizzard. People absolutely gushing all over the place over this game that, in many cases, none of them had even gotten to even try yet.

On and on and on it went for months until the game launched. People got their hands on it, got through it, the honeymoon ended, the novelty wore off, the cracks quickly started to show, and they realized that what Bioware/EA had really delivered them was a glorified single player game with multiplayer trappings.

And it wasn't us "just hating on the game", as we were regularly accused. Many - I'd even say most - who expressed concerns - including people who wanted it to do well - gave valid reasons. For myself, I kept saying Bioware/EA were losing the plot by pushing  "linear personal storylines" (and it is linear; the consequence of every pre-determined choice you make is pre-scripted and pre-designed before you've even stepped foot in the game. It's non-linear like a 'Choose Your Own Adventure' book is non-linear). They entered a genre where more and more people were asking for less linear gameplay, said "Nuh uh! We know what you gamers really want!", and proceeded to run the complete opposite direction toward "Linearville: A World on Rails".

I'd said they were grossly overstating the importance of "voice acted everything" to gamers; that it would be a cool novelty at first, but it would get old fast. I'd said they were barking up the wrong tree, did not understand the market they were getting into and, as amazing as it sounded on paper, TOR was not going to pan out for them nearly as well as everyone thought it would. We never said "it would fail horribly". We said it would not be nearly everything it was being hyped up as. Neither EA/Bioware's hubris, nor the fans' and media's hyperbole over it were justified.

We were told we were "in denial", "just haters", "trolls"... the whole enchilada. If it's a canned insult to be thrown around, it was thrown at us.

Well, turns out we were right.

The game did not turn out to be what everyone had been hyped (or hyped themselves) to believe. Things were not panning out the way everyone thought they inevitably would. An entire portion of the game (Illum) had to be removed because it was so borked. And now, not even a year into the game's life, it's already gone "F2P". It was not the Second Coming folks had been led (or led themselves) to believe it would be. What an anti-climactic outcome for a game that had been elevated to messianic levels of hype.

Better still, EA has managed to take an already dubious revenue model, and found a way to make it even more dubious. The creed is truly greed with them. And yet, there are people who still find a way to spin the mess EA/Bioware have created to make it look like a pile of glimmering gold.

Well, as the saying goes, "to thine own self be true".

"Devs need to stop trying to make MMOs for people who don't like MMOs" - thevampirelematt/Reddit

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Search