Trending Games | Pirate101 | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,899,798 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,549
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Why is Everyone who purchased the game, so upset with FTP?

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Search
151 posts found
  Grimmx

Advanced Member

11/18/12 2:34:43 PM#101

I just noticed this thread so ill chime in. I just tried reopening my account to see whats up with FTP in SWTOR. 

I had a lvl 40 i logged in on.

First i read that i get a 350k cash roof ?. Then i ask myself why i only have 2 quick bars? 2 Quick bars on a lvl 40 char made me instantly go WTF?

So the obvious answer to this is that i have to spend about 4 euro from the getgo.

I have no problem paying a subscribtion, what i do have a problem with is the feeling i get blackmailed into it in a game thats supposedly " ftp ".

I do understand that "ftp" games need to earn money, im just pointing out that i think they have been stupid going about it in this way. Most people that return to the game will put it away again when you are instantly forced to use money.

As it stands now i didnt even set up my char to try it out again because i knew i needed to use my credit card and that wasnt what i wanted when i logged in. I was there for a look.

To be honest i think GW2 will get more people because of this. Its all about getting people dedicated before squeezing cash out of their pockets. As it is right now its just annoying.

Skuz

Novice Member

"If you can''t laugh at yourself there''s always someone around to show you how it''s done!"

11/18/12 2:42:09 PM#102

If "the game is crap" then why do you even give a shit abiout it any more?

All the griping here & in game to me sounds like this:

WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH I can't get everything I want for free, those money-grabbing bastards!!!!

Grimmx

Advanced Member

11/18/12 2:50:39 PM#103
Originally posted by Skuz

WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH I can't get everything I want for free, those money-grabbing bastards!!!!

Its all about presentation.

If i get the feeling they are trying to squeese me into paying them money in an annoying sort of way, id rather pay full subscription in another game rather than end up giving them 1/3rd of that money.

dariuszp

Novice Member

11/18/12 2:53:37 PM#104
Originally posted by jimmydatwin

I don't understand the sense of entitlement.  You bought the game knowing that you could play the game as is for $15/month.  You still can.  Your original terms haven't changed, you have just been offered a limited alternative for free.  Why is that a bad thing?  You get prefered status for your previous investment(as does anyone else who spends money/subs in the future so they are not taking that away from you).

My questions is this: If you ignore the FTP option that wasnt available a week ago, what has changed from the day you decided this game was worth buying?

If the only thing that changed is that the game isn't worth a sub fee to you anymore, then think of this: I have a collection of about 25 MMO's that I have bought and don't play anymore.  Also add to that the hundreds of other games that I have bought at full price over the past 20 years and don't play anymore and I think we can say that games aren't meant to play forever (I currently play about 5 games).  I feel that out of all those games that I may have made a bad purchase on maybe 20-40 (roughly 15% I'd say) and you couldn't pay me to play those games now, let alone get me to play for free.

I haven't played SWTOR, but may give it a shot at some point now that it is FTP.  Just curious as to whether or not I am missing something when I see recent forum posts are always littered with posts about how "done wrong" people who purchased this game are with the FTP transition.

I'm not upset. I was done with this crap of game in 2 months and I don't plan on playing it even after it went F2P. This is saying something about state of SWTOR.

waynejr2

Hard Core Member

RIP City of Heroes!

11/18/12 3:42:57 PM#105
Originally posted by Grimmx
Originally posted by Skuz

Its all about presentation.

If i get the feeling they are trying to squeese me into paying them money in an annoying sort of way, id rather pay full subscription in another game rather than end up giving them 1/3rd of that money.

It's about people feeling entitled.

DSWBeef

Apprentice Member

11/18/12 4:39:19 PM#106

I posted this in another thread to set the record straight.

Lets get one thing straight. Us F2P players dont feel like we need the whole game unlocked. We are PISSED at the nickle and diming they are doing on such small elements. Actionbars, hide helmet, races, ect ect. Im for restrcting warzones, fp, w/e, since im playign CASUALLY in between rift and other games. Its UTTERLY RIDICULOUS to keep basic UI and races from us. This makes activision in my eyes atleast less greedy then EA and thats a FIRST! We dont feel we are entitled. However i shouldnt have to sub to get the CC from my CE and 2 months sub.

What i would change is: 

Give F2P all races, UI elements, ONE more char slot, lift the credit cap, and lift the crafting and storage limits. THATS ENTIRELY FAIR!

We are not a bunch of welfare moochers.

Playing: Archeage Alpha, World of Warcraft, and Diablo 3
Waiting on: Archeage, Everquest Next and The Black Desert

Deewe

Novice Member

11/18/12 4:39:51 PM#107
Originally posted by Omnifish

It seems like they used the Turbine model for FTP, i.e. it's setup to encourage you to sub as it's a better deal and I guess that's the way, ultimately if it's success, people will take that option.

As it stands the FTP option is horribly restrictive but thats the point, your suppose to be wowed by the game by playing for free and then want to sub to it to gain access to everything. I have the feeling that some people don't get that, or they just think their, 'owed', something because it's not SWG2, EA are involved, etc etc.

I mean theres a thread at the moment critising how the legacy system is redundant because you can buy the race unlocks for cartel points. It also claims the legacy system is the main feature of the entire game.  Both of these claims are utter bollocks if your a subscriber, which is what this system is set out to make you. You can still earn perks/rewards from the legacy system and claim the unlocks the other way if you want. The legacy system isn't a real draw anyway.  If your on the fence about this game are you really going to grind the credits needed for speeder piloting at lv10? Probably not.

Ultimately you have to understand there are people on these forums who just hate the game and the company and want it dead.  You only have to see the first few responses, (which don't even address you questions), for proof of that and the numerous threads on these forums.  This place is a refugee for old SWG vets who love nostagila based fantasies about their favortite game.  A lot of those people hate EA and Bioware by extension so treat anything produced by them as a zombie that needs headshotting.

Therefore expecting better from people is just not worth it.  I gave up some time ago, and yes I do still comment on the game and feel strongly that Bioware have made mistakes with this title.  Getting anything like a realistic debate on here about TOR is just not going to be doable when certain people won't let go of their, 'baggage'.

I mean if the F2P model was really built upon Turbine's it would be a huge success because people would be paying for fluff and content.

That's what they should have done.

Rydeson

Elite Member

11/18/12 4:56:48 PM#108
I agree with a few posters... SWG would of been better as F2P if they  just tweaked it a bit..  SWG had alot more going for it then SWTOR does..
  Jerek_

Novice Member

11/18/12 5:16:47 PM#109

the most justified anger I've seen is from the people that have been playing and supporting the game the entire time.  The game released with a content shortage to begin with, and the pace of improvements and additions has been terrible, and to top it off the developer lays off a bunch of the workforce and puts the rest to work on this 'f2p' conversion. 

Theres just a lot of anger from the subscriber base that I think is understandable.  The fact that a lot of the items a subscribing player would probably want to get from the cartel market can't be bought outright but instead has to be gambled for by purchasing packs doesn't help either.

Ryukan

Novice Member

11/18/12 6:54:02 PM#110
Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Ryukan
What, I should be happy with a crappy F2P model and the fact that the $50 I spent on the game is worthless less than a year later?

The F2P conversion has nothing to do with the $50 you spent. If the F2P conversion did not happen, your $50 would have purchased you the exact same amount of stuff.

Missed the point. Does one still have to pay $50 just to get the game? No. If I had not bought the game when it came out and waited until now I could have saved $50. Worthless was perhaps a poor choice of words on my part, but that $50 is meaningless now.

Sevenstar61

Hard Core Member

"But it was so artistically done..." - Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words

11/18/12 8:38:24 PM#111

What, I should be happy with a crappy F2P model and the fact that the $50 I spent on the game is worthless less than a year later?

The F2P conversion has nothing to do with the $50 you spent. If the F2P conversion did not happen, your $50 would have purchased you the exact same amount of stuff.

Missed the point. Does one still have to pay $50 just to get the game? No. If I had not bought the game when it came out and waited until now I could have saved $50. Worthless was perhaps a poor choice of words on my part, but that $50 is meaningless now.

And that is what happening to all games which turn to F2P. It's not just SWTOR. Live with it. It just happens. I got CE and I am not complaining. You are getting new super TV for few thousands and after a year it's on sale for half a price, are you complaining about it too?

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

rdrakken

Apprentice Member

11/18/12 8:44:09 PM#112

The OP is right.

Everyone should be happy with medicrity and things done badly. Now be quite all of you and do NOTHING to change anything like the rest of us that feel like we have no power as a consumer...

Crackbone

Novice Member

11/19/12 8:10:25 AM#113

The fanboy response is to say "Everyone thinks they are entitled to free stuff, etc." 

You can keep spouting this nonsense around, but the fact of the matter is, people don't like the F2P model because it's a stretch to call it "F2P." 

It's a poorly designed model that's pushing you towards subscription.  Fine, if that's what the want, then come out and say it.  Don't have Hickman run out there and spew that the reason they failed was because of their payment model (subscription) and then introduce a system that's designed to pick up subscriptions. 

It makes little sense whatsoever.  SWTOR will not succeed with this model, I'm calling it now.  Either they make massive changes(which they will not) or they will burn. 

Zinzan

Novice Member

11/19/12 8:12:29 AM#114
Originally posted by jimmydatwin

I haven't played SWTOR

Amusing :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

defector1968

Novice Member

Real Animal lovers are ONLY the vegetarians

11/19/12 8:16:30 AM#115
Originally posted by DrunkWolf
im glad its free to play, now all the people who didnt buy the game can see for themselves how horrible this game really is.

HAHAHAHA true

lizardbones

Elite Member

I think with my heart and move with my head.-Kongos

11/19/12 8:20:57 AM#116

Originally posted by Ryukan What, I should be happy with a crappy F2P model and the fact that the $50 I spent on the game is worthless less than a year later?

I see. You are saying that something purchased right now for your computer makes something you purchased six months or a year ago obsolete. My goodness, I've never seen this before. I'm not sure I can buy anything now. Whatever will I do with the rest of my life?

** edit **
If you felt the money was well spent before the F2P transition, then it was well spent. If you thought then that the money was wasted, then it's still wasted now. An event happening now doesn't change history, it changes the future.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Indrome

Novice Member

This is like trying to drive straight through Schroedinger's minefield!

11/19/12 8:27:12 AM#117

I just don't support the abomination that is their f2p-feature list.

Matter of fact, I don't feel like supporting much of their present or future business decisions. Better alternatives and all that.

DeaconX

Apprentice Member

Stand up for what you believe; Even if you stand alone.
-==X==-
SHH, my COMMON SENSE is tingling!

11/19/12 8:29:54 AM#118

I went back to try it, on the EU RP server where the community was said to be pretty decent.  But it was like 50% people talking about how all the F2P people have ruined RP/the game.

Firstly, if anything, I ENHANCED the RP ;)

Secondly, the game was ruined long before F2P :p

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Ryukan

Novice Member

11/19/12 10:49:46 AM#119

Originally posted by Ryukan What, I should be happy with a crappy F2P model and the fact that the $50 I spent on the game is worthless less than a year later?

I see. You are saying that something purchased right now for your computer makes something you purchased six months or a year ago obsolete. My goodness, I've never seen this before. I'm not sure I can buy anything now. Whatever will I do with the rest of my life?

** edit **
If you felt the money was well spent before the F2P transition, then it was well spent. If you thought then that the money was wasted, then it's still wasted now. An event happening now doesn't change history, it changes the future.

Per the underlined, what I am actually saying is that something that is now free compared to costing $50 less than a year ago makes the MONEY seem meaningless to me. You can't even purchase it now..IT's FREE ffs. The item is not meaningless or obsolete it's just free. However THE MONEY I SPENT ON IT FEELS MEANINGLESS. If I had known I could have waited less than a year and not spent $50 on the game, I would not have spent $50 on it. Whatever the money is long spent and I wish I hasd waited until the F2P to check out the game so I could have saved me $50 plus 6 months sub fee. So no, I don't feel the money was well spent before the F2P because I could have avoided spending that money completely. I won't say SWTOR is worthless itself, but I don't think it is worth $50+$15 a month which is what it cost me when it came out. I don't think it is really worth the $15 a month even minus the $50 cost.--ok ok maybe I am saying SWTOR is pretty worthless...to me hehe. I admit, I am getting tired of MMO's lately, one gear grindy themepark after another.

Lesson learned, I won't bother spending $50 on an MMO anymore, I'll just wait until it is F2P. Then I can just download said game for free and if I enjoy it, buy a one month sub for it and get the whole game for much less.

Per the red, I'm truly sorry I caused you such stress in your life and I hope that with time and good therapy you will be able to carry on with the rest of your existence. Actually the mocking tone sounds kind of butthurt in a way, do you really think I care that much if my opinion has that much weight...which I know it doesnt.

Anubisan

Advanced Member

11/19/12 10:54:46 AM#120

I think there is just a certain group of people who will trash the game no matter what Bioware does at this point. The terms of the F2P conversion are not outrageous or unprecedented, yet this group acts like Bioware is the worst company on the face of the planet. Nevermind the fact that people can now experience some of the best parts of this game FOR FREE... To this group of people, there is nothing Bioware could ever possibly do right as far as this game is concerned. It is borderline insane if you ask me.

Honestly, I suspect most of these people are ex-SWG players.

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Search