Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,857,282 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,242,880
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » F2P has ruined SWTOR and Legacy

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
73 posts found
  superniceguy

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/17/07
Posts: 2277

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

 
OP  11/18/12 11:24:07 AM#41
Originally posted by SoulStain
Originally posted by superniceguy
Originally posted by Elevenb4

Not sure what you're talking about. The game hasn't changed for me at all since I've been subbinged since release. Yes , there is the Cartel Martket, but if I only subbed and never looked at the Cash shop, the game will still be the exact same for me.

However, I like the cash shop, I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on hit, maybe an extra 15$ or so a month. I love the items I have gotten, especially my Sith Throne mount. I feel like a powerful sith crossed with Professor X.

 

I think they did a good job. With it all.

It has changed, and has changed for all, but if you have already unlocked legacy, and do not plan on doing it again, then you will not see this change. I wonder what the new requirements are, and what other things have been compromised / dumbed down?

The Legacy system is SWTORs main feature.

For those who spent loads of time on Legacy, when could have done something else, does it  now not make you mad that if you waited, you need not have spent so much time levelling legacy?

I didnt spend any extra time on legacy. I just levelled my characters like normal and ..bam....I was eligible as soon as it was put in game. I really don't see your point as much of a bother. 

As far as why Legacy unlocks earlier..thats simply because there are a shite-ton of legacy unlocks in the Cartel store...and they want our money. Kinda shitty and greedy but still really doesnt affect playing except to give us another method to unlock the "perks". Granted..most of the perks suck anyway but I'd much rather unlock them in the store as I want them..if not..just continue playing until they unlock themselves or I feel like spending credits. Notice I said "want"..because we really don't need any of the stuff. Personally I enjoy the option and will really enjoy buying a Cartel pack from time to time to get some neat little things like speeders..emotes..armor. Got a cool speeder already and a trinket that makes my eyes glow red for 60 seconds with a short cooldown. Another piece of armor that is an invisible chestpiece that can be modded....so it looks lik you're bare chested..lol.

"I didnt spend any extra time on legacy. I just levelled my characters like normal and ..bam....I was eligible as soon as it was put in game"

"As far as why Legacy unlocks earlier..thats simply because there are a shite-ton of legacy unlocks in the Cartel store...and they want our money"

Those comments are exactly my point!

This change makes me feel like not playing any more, as I have now unlocked now without playing the game. This change has robbed me of upcoming gameplay, which is not hard as you pointed out and can get there soon enough. It was only changed so EA can now rob you of more money.

I would rather play the game, than pay the game, for all what the Cartel Shop offers.

The things that the Cartel Shop should offer, is more character slots as it  opens up more gameplay, but it does not do.

  Umbrood

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/09/03
Posts: 1842

11/18/12 11:24:13 AM#42
Originally posted by Sevenstar61
Originally posted by Umbrood
Originally posted by Ahnog

I find legacy to be one of the most appealing aspects of the game, and I'm glad they've opened it up earlier. You still have to pay for the perks. I personally focused on the shp upgrades (mailbox, repair droid, GTN).

SWTOR continues to be a great game, and f2p just makes it better.

Wait, what?

You can now get those upgrades to you ship?

That is something that bothered me a lot.

Any other upgrades, and what kind of effort does it take to accomplish?

you were always able to get these upgrades with your legacy. That did not change with F2P. It's pretty pricy though.

These are convenience perks. Most of other MMOs have these kind of stuff available for players too... like mailbox in house in EQ2. Not sure what it is that is bothering you about them.

I quit when the only legacy perk was a surname, fairly certain there was nothing else you got from legacy back then.

What was bothering me was that there was NOT these things on your ship.

These upgrades is good "news", to me.

I did try to login and play f2p but as a lvl 50 trooper the limits put on f2p made it if not impossible at least very hard to play.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Emeraq

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/07/06
Posts: 925

11/18/12 11:26:32 AM#43
Originally posted by superniceguy
Originally posted by Winterizer

I think it is cool that almost everyone that I know of that started with F2P has subscribed during the weekend.

 

PvP pops often and the flashpoints from time to time, mainly due to lack of healers or tanks as in any other game.

 

I do not see how F2P has ruined anything, the game is more alive then it has been for months

 

 

F2P should get you all the stuff that subbers get, but overall costs more than $15, but where it works out cheaper is that you do not have to spend on stuff you do not want to play. No it shouldn't.

 

 

  superniceguy

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/17/07
Posts: 2277

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

 
OP  11/18/12 11:30:49 AM#44
Originally posted by Emeraq
Originally posted by superniceguy
Originally posted by Winterizer

I think it is cool that almost everyone that I know of that started with F2P has subscribed during the weekend.

 

PvP pops often and the flashpoints from time to time, mainly due to lack of healers or tanks as in any other game.

 

I do not see how F2P has ruined anything, the game is more alive then it has been for months

 

 

F2P should get you all the stuff that subbers get, but overall costs more than $15, but where it works out cheaper is that you do not have to spend on stuff you do not want to play. No it shouldn't.

 

 

Why not, when F2P costs more? That is the point.  Subbers get most stuff in effect for free, F2P people have to pay for stuff.

If you are not paying for it and game is completely free then I agree that you should not get what subbers get.

To get everything that subbers gets, it costs $28 per month instead of $15.

  tiefighter25

Novice Member

Joined: 7/30/12
Posts: 949

11/18/12 11:40:30 AM#45

I don't think a lot of subscribers realize how much FTP (cash shop really) has already affected SWTOR's overall game design.

Here's my roughshod list of how it has already affected ToR. (Remember, they've been designing around the cash shop since Spring.)

 

1.) Content withholding. -

A] Since Spring they've only realiased (and that's including 1.5) 2 Operations and 1 companion.

B] Remember, that companion quest line was in game at Beta. As a part of their string out the subscribers/figure out a way to monetize everything, HK-51 was withheld. (His preview video was out in what June?)

C] The new unrealesed warzone Hypergates has been in playable form since August at E3 is still unrealeased. BW has said it will be in the next patch. That's 4 months of holding on to it.

D] Cathar- The Cathat have been ready, and previewed since June. They have been withheld until the cash shop was up to sell them to you.

2.) Restricting Itemization

A] High end gear since the descion to switch to FTP has just been reskins of previous gear. By withholding gear, it makes the gear hidden within the $4.00 lockboxes more attractive on FTP release.

B] Withholding a wide array of gear that was available in Beta. This gear which was seen over a year ago now, is still unreleased. Expect to see it in new rounds of lock-boxes. (Which is funny since they will say, "Look what we've been up" when tat gear was created over a year ago.

3.) Makeb

A] Makeb is being withheld as a paid mini-expansiion. This is exceptionally greedy because it was oriinally intended as a major Patch release (as in no extra money to play). Makeb has been ready since May, but will now be sold to everyone, FTP and subber as a mini-expansion.

4.) Legacy

A] Here is where design as been directly affected by the cash shop. BW has stated that Legacy is their greatest feature and will receive their primary focus. Well now you know why Legacy pre-FTP was such a mooney sink. As it stands, Legacy perks are available aither by paying millions per perk, or an instant purchase of about $4.00 per perk in the cash shop. Guess which BW hopes you purchase. Expect to see many, many new Legacy perks in the future.

 

In summary: Since deciding to switch to FTP (Who's primary purpose was the addition of the cash shop) Bioware has withheld, Makeb, Hk-51, Hypergate Warzone, the Cathar, and all the gear that was in Beta. Since the decision to switch to FTP, their decimated staff has designed no new content, just reeasing content which was already in the pipeline.

Bioware intends to sell the Makeb patch as a mini-expansion, sell Cathat race unlocks, and put all the varied gear designed since before launch into lock-boxes.

In lieu of new content, Bioware will contiinue to add to its altaholic Legacy perk system. Those perks will now be obtainable by either grinding out million upon millions of credits, or purchasing them directly fro the cash shop.

When you can't get more money from more subscribers, you attempt to get more money per remaining subscriber.

If Bioware will be succesful in doing this, we shall see. Bioware is putting its faith in its remaining playerbase being content with no real new content and paying for cash shop purchases many times over what they already pay as a monthly sub.

The FTP option, is nothing but a tack on to garner a modicum of publicity, allow EA to stop reporting subs, but most importantly to Bioware, to sell, sell, sell micro-transactions in its cash shop. I base the FTP as nothing more then a ruse in that the restrictions are purposively unbearable, the servers are not designed for either the initial FTP rush or any real vast increase in players, there has been virtually no marketing campaign for the FTP switch.

Think about, why spend money on advertising when your customer already knows about the new product. SWTOR, (much I'm sure to MMORPG's chagrin) has not even bought a browser background ad here. (I see ads for RIFT, STO, GW2, EvE, a bunch of other Asian games, no SWTOR). EA is spending as little as it can on SWTOR both in content creation and marketing. All that EA/Bioware is doing is getting the most it can out of its leased Star Wars IP, and hoping that compulsive micro-transaction purchasses will help defray their losses on the development of SWTOR. Here's a party-Jawa, go drop a few hundred on cartel coins.

  Emeraq

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/07/06
Posts: 925

11/18/12 11:40:38 AM#46
Originally posted by superniceguy
Originally posted by Emeraq
Originally posted by superniceguy
Originally posted by Winterizer

I think it is cool that almost everyone that I know of that started with F2P has subscribed during the weekend.

 

PvP pops often and the flashpoints from time to time, mainly due to lack of healers or tanks as in any other game.

 

I do not see how F2P has ruined anything, the game is more alive then it has been for months

 

 

F2P should get you all the stuff that subbers get, but overall costs more than $15, but where it works out cheaper is that you do not have to spend on stuff you do not want to play. No it shouldn't.

 

 

Why not, when F2P costs more? That is the point.  Subbers get most stuff in effect for free, F2P people have to pay for stuff.

If you are not paying for it and game is completely free then I agree that you should not get what subbers get.

To get everything that subbers gets, it costs $28 per month instead of $15.

Everyone knows that Free to Play is not ever completely free to play, traditionally there are always limitations in F2P and players can spend more than they would if they were simply subscribing to the game.

I don't see why someone should have all of the access, all of the contents to the same game that I pay a monthly sub for, and it be completely free to them. If that were the case, why would anyone sub? And the game would be dead a lot sooner than later because money has to be made to keep the servers going.

It's my understanding that F2P get to play the main storylines free to end game. This is more than can be said about LOTRO F2P, where you are having to buy quests and entire zones, you have to buy storage/bags, you have to buy extra character slots (you only get two per server there as well), you have to either buy Warden and RuneMaster seperately or buy the expansion they came in.... In my opinion the only thing crazy about SWTOR's free to play is locking skill bars and PvP.

And what the hell are they buying every month that will cost them $28.00? 

  SoulStain

Novice Member

Joined: 9/07/12
Posts: 204

11/18/12 11:46:33 AM#47
Originally posted by superniceguy
Originally posted by SoulStain
Originally posted by superniceguy
Originally posted by Elevenb4

Not sure what you're talking about. The game hasn't changed for me at all since I've been subbinged since release. Yes , there is the Cartel Martket, but if I only subbed and never looked at the Cash shop, the game will still be the exact same for me.

However, I like the cash shop, I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on hit, maybe an extra 15$ or so a month. I love the items I have gotten, especially my Sith Throne mount. I feel like a powerful sith crossed with Professor X.

 

I think they did a good job. With it all.

It has changed, and has changed for all, but if you have already unlocked legacy, and do not plan on doing it again, then you will not see this change. I wonder what the new requirements are, and what other things have been compromised / dumbed down?

The Legacy system is SWTORs main feature.

For those who spent loads of time on Legacy, when could have done something else, does it  now not make you mad that if you waited, you need not have spent so much time levelling legacy?

I didnt spend any extra time on legacy. I just levelled my characters like normal and ..bam....I was eligible as soon as it was put in game. I really don't see your point as much of a bother. 

As far as why Legacy unlocks earlier..thats simply because there are a shite-ton of legacy unlocks in the Cartel store...and they want our money. Kinda shitty and greedy but still really doesnt affect playing except to give us another method to unlock the "perks". Granted..most of the perks suck anyway but I'd much rather unlock them in the store as I want them..if not..just continue playing until they unlock themselves or I feel like spending credits. Notice I said "want"..because we really don't need any of the stuff. Personally I enjoy the option and will really enjoy buying a Cartel pack from time to time to get some neat little things like speeders..emotes..armor. Got a cool speeder already and a trinket that makes my eyes glow red for 60 seconds with a short cooldown. Another piece of armor that is an invisible chestpiece that can be modded....so it looks lik you're bare chested..lol.

"I didnt spend any extra time on legacy. I just levelled my characters like normal and ..bam....I was eligible as soon as it was put in game"

"As far as why Legacy unlocks earlier..thats simply because there are a shite-ton of legacy unlocks in the Cartel store...and they want our money"

Those comments are exactly my point!

This change makes me feel like not playing any more, as I have now unlocked now without playing the game. This change has robbed me of upcoming gameplay, which is not hard as you pointed out and can get there soon enough. It was only changed so EA can now rob you of more money.

I would rather play the game, than pay the game, for all what the Cartel Shop offers.

The things that the Cartel Shop should offer, is more character slots as it  opens up more gameplay, but it does not do.

  You don't have to use the store. You still have to grind to unlock the perks based on what legacy level you have. Then you still have to unlock them with credits once you obtain the level. There were very few legacy perks that were free...Just the species ones unlock for free when you reach level 50 in that species. I could be wrong but still..your entire legacy doesnt unlock and give you every perk at level 10...or whatever. Sure...you can set up your Legacy quicker..but there is still plenty of playing and grinding for legacy xp and credits should u wish to avoid the cartel shop.

  I have a sub 8 characters and a level 50 BH but still have only legacy 8....the legacy xp is slowwww grind. Even using the cartel shop..I didnt notice many higher legacies perks...it may open up in the shop as you level legacy..e.g. level 8 unlock wont be available in the shop until u reach level 8 legacy...same for level 9..not to mention many require a certain character level to use once u buy them from the cartel shop. So ..still plenty of playing and grinding involved.

The shop definitely has its bad points...but it has some good things too and in the end..you can always choose to ignore it or choose to sub. Pretty much the same as 99% of the other F2P models in existence.

Ultimately though..the difference, I think, between You and I is that, though i like SWTOR, I never thought the Legacy system was a big deal. A few "cute' things and thats about all.

  grimal

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 9/11/05
Posts: 2191

11/18/12 11:50:35 AM#48

F2P is really a misnomer.  I actually wish someone would go back in time and stop that phrase from ever being developed.

Think of it more as a very limited trial.

The only game I have played that doesn't severely limit content is APB:R.  But then you get those annoying ads and have your experience diminished.

If you want to play the game in full, you're just going to have to subscribe.  Thems are the ways of the MMORPG.

"I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you." - Robin Williams

  JKwervo

Novice Member

Joined: 6/27/12
Posts: 140

11/18/12 12:06:45 PM#49
Originally posted by tiefighter25

I don't think a lot of subscribers realize how much FTP (cash shop really) has already affected SWTOR's overall game design.

Here's my roughshod list of how it has already affected ToR. (Remember, they've been designing around the cash shop since Spring.)

 

1.) Content withholding. -

A] Since Spring they've only realiased (and that's including 1.5) 2 Operations and 1 companion.

B] Remember, that companion quest line was in game at Beta. As a part of their string out the subscribers/figure out a way to monetize everything, HK-51 was withheld. (His preview video was out in what June?)

C] The new unrealesed warzone Hypergates has been in playable form since August at E3 is still unrealeased. BW has said it will be in the next patch. That's 4 months of holding on to it.

D] Cathar- The Cathat have been ready, and previewed since June. They have been withheld until the cash shop was up to sell them to you.

2.) Restricting Itemization

A] High end gear since the descion to switch to FTP has just been reskins of previous gear. By withholding gear, it makes the gear hidden within the $4.00 lockboxes more attractive on FTP release.

B] Withholding a wide array of gear that was available in Beta. This gear which was seen over a year ago now, is still unreleased. Expect to see it in new rounds of lock-boxes. (Which is funny since they will say, "Look what we've been up" when tat gear was created over a year ago.

3.) Makeb

A] Makeb is being withheld as a paid mini-expansiion. This is exceptionally greedy because it was oriinally intended as a major Patch release (as in no extra money to play). Makeb has been ready since May, but will now be sold to everyone, FTP and subber as a mini-expansion.

4.) Legacy

A] Here is where design as been directly affected by the cash shop. BW has stated that Legacy is their greatest feature and will receive their primary focus. Well now you know why Legacy pre-FTP was such a mooney sink. As it stands, Legacy perks are available aither by paying millions per perk, or an instant purchase of about $4.00 per perk in the cash shop. Guess which BW hopes you purchase. Expect to see many, many new Legacy perks in the future.

 

In summary: Since deciding to switch to FTP (Who's primary purpose was the addition of the cash shop) Bioware has withheld, Makeb, Hk-51, Hypergate Warzone, the Cathar, and all the gear that was in Beta. Since the decision to switch to FTP, their decimated staff has designed no new content, just reeasing content which was already in the pipeline.

Bioware intends to sell the Makeb patch as a mini-expansion, sell Cathat race unlocks, and put all the varied gear designed since before launch into lock-boxes.

In lieu of new content, Bioware will contiinue to add to its altaholic Legacy perk system. Those perks will now be obtainable by either grinding out million upon millions of credits, or purchasing them directly fro the cash shop.

When you can't get more money from more subscribers, you attempt to get more money per remaining subscriber.

If Bioware will be succesful in doing this, we shall see. Bioware is putting its faith in its remaining playerbase being content with no real new content and paying for cash shop purchases many times over what they already pay as a monthly sub.

The FTP option, is nothing but a tack on to garner a modicum of publicity, allow EA to stop reporting subs, but most importantly to Bioware, to sell, sell, sell micro-transactions in its cash shop. I base the FTP as nothing more then a ruse in that the restrictions are purposively unbearable, the servers are not designed for either the initial FTP rush or any real vast increase in players, there has been virtually no marketing campaign for the FTP switch.

Think about, why spend money on advertising when your customer already knows about the new product. SWTOR, (much I'm sure to MMORPG's chagrin) has not even bought a browser background ad here. (I see ads for RIFT, STO, GW2, EvE, a bunch of other Asian games, no SWTOR). EA is spending as little as it can on SWTOR both in content creation and marketing. All that EA/Bioware is doing is getting the most it can out of its leased Star Wars IP, and hoping that compulsive micro-transaction purchasses will help defray their losses on the development of SWTOR. Here's a party-Jawa, go drop a few hundred on cartel coins.

 

Quoted for truth. They haven't done anything to get me to resub. The same complaints I had before haven't been rectified. Same bad game with even more bad freemium model.
  superniceguy

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/17/07
Posts: 2277

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

 
OP  11/18/12 12:19:58 PM#50
Originally posted by Emeraq
Originally posted by superniceguy
Originally posted by Emeraq
Originally posted by superniceguy
Originally posted by Winterizer

I think it is cool that almost everyone that I know of that started with F2P has subscribed during the weekend.

 

PvP pops often and the flashpoints from time to time, mainly due to lack of healers or tanks as in any other game.

 

I do not see how F2P has ruined anything, the game is more alive then it has been for months

 

 

F2P should get you all the stuff that subbers get, but overall costs more than $15, but where it works out cheaper is that you do not have to spend on stuff you do not want to play. No it shouldn't.

 

 

Why not, when F2P costs more? That is the point.  Subbers get most stuff in effect for free, F2P people have to pay for stuff.

If you are not paying for it and game is completely free then I agree that you should not get what subbers get.

To get everything that subbers gets, it costs $28 per month instead of $15.

Everyone knows that Free to Play is not ever completely free to play, traditionally there are always limitations in F2P and players can spend more than they would if they were simply subscribing to the game.

I don't see why someone should have all of the access, all of the contents to the same game that I pay a monthly sub for, and it be completely free to them. If that were the case, why would anyone sub? And the game would be dead a lot sooner than later because money has to be made to keep the servers going.

It's my understanding that F2P get to play the main storylines free to end game. This is more than can be said about LOTRO F2P, where you are having to buy quests and entire zones, you have to buy storage/bags, you have to buy extra character slots (you only get two per server there as well), you have to either buy Warden and RuneMaster seperately or buy the expansion they came in.... In my opinion the only thing crazy about SWTOR's free to play is locking skill bars and PvP.

And what the hell are they buying every month that will cost them $28.00? 

$28 is the cost of everything added up. Quick slot bars + weekly passes + well, everything

I think you are not understanding what I am saying. The lack of charcter slots is dumb. I can not play the game at all in F2P because I can not even purchase more slots. If I could purchase more slots, then that means will have to buy more quick slot bars and everything again for the character, which is  Win-Win - EA gets money from me and I get to play the game.

I am not interested in constantly playing Space Missions, Operations, Warzones, so they can be locked off completely as far as I am concerned, but would like to be able to buy more char slots. The reason for playing in F2P instead of subbing is so you can pay for what you want to play, making the end result cheaper. If you want the whole thing then you sub as paying in F2P is a lot more costly.

  cronius77

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/26/12
Posts: 1303

11/18/12 12:41:40 PM#51
the legacy system is much better now that you get it at 10 and can start earning legacy exp much earlier and not have to commit to 30-32 to get your first unlock so all this crying is stupid at best. People can sub if they want more than 2 toons as free to play considering they didnt fork out money to even buy the software like most of us did. Also enough of the hate on swtor free to play , about the only thing i think they should change is the action bars being limited to two. Other than that if you think its so bad please DO NOT come back and play as you want everything for free that subs pay for. The crying and bashing of this game from this community is getting old considering it doesnt merit it because YOU do not like it. If you hate the free to play restrictions carry your butt to another game and stop worrying people playing this one , you had a chance to keep this games item shop out of it by subbing yet people didnt want to sub and then wonder why they have a cash shop and restrictions....
  Onomas

Novice Member

Joined: 7/05/11
Posts: 1160

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

11/18/12 1:26:20 PM#52
Originally posted by DarkVagabond
Originally posted by Onomas
SWTOR was ruined before launch lol.

you made a little typo.

Well considering launch was before f2p, i made no typo ;) If SWTOR was ruined before F2P, and launch came before F2P, thus it was ruined at all levels before F2P.

 

Brain power for the win

  Purutzil

Elite Member

Joined: 10/02/11
Posts: 2860

The Critical Hit Pretzel!

11/18/12 1:33:33 PM#53
The legacy system was a bit of a mess to begin with honestly. Its far from a perfect system. A decent idea but poorly executed.
  Winterizer

Novice Member

Joined: 5/25/04
Posts: 67

11/18/12 3:03:45 PM#54
Originally posted by superniceguyF2P has ruined the game, because you can not create more than 2 chars, and leaves the game with a sleazy Cash Shop, and if people are subbing from it, then what is the point in there being F2P?

I can not create more than 2 chars, and I do not want to pay the full $15. I would be willing to pay to unlock more char slots, but I can not, so I can not return to the game, and make it more alive.

 

The thing is that people expect to much for free

 

Be glad that you can log on the game and play some of the content

  superniceguy

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/17/07
Posts: 2277

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

 
OP  11/18/12 4:42:16 PM#55
Originally posted by Winterizer
Originally posted by superniceguyF2P has ruined the game, because you can not create more than 2 chars, and leaves the game with a sleazy Cash Shop, and if people are subbing from it, then what is the point in there being F2P?

I can not create more than 2 chars, and I do not want to pay the full $15. I would be willing to pay to unlock more char slots, but I can not, so I can not return to the game, and make it more alive.

 

The thing is that people expect to much for free

 

Be glad that you can log on the game and play some of the content

That makes no sense

I can not log on and play more content, because I can not create more chars. I already played some of the content on 2 chars before F2P on $15.

Every other MMO allows you purchase more character slots

The free trial for SWTOR befiore F2P was free and you could create more than 2 chars

Unlocking more slots in F2P would not be free

The thing is people think that F2P is free

  Rydeson

Elite Member

Joined: 3/05/07
Posts: 3342

11/18/12 4:59:34 PM#56
Originally posted by saxifr
Now that F2P is done, one wonders what those 200 people on the SWTOR team are working on next!

lol  ..  My guess would be more cash shop stuff, and another tier of gear to grind for......

  Jerek_

Novice Member

Joined: 5/08/04
Posts: 398

11/18/12 7:41:46 PM#57

I won't quote it because of length but that was a great post tiefighter25.  I didn't realize what they had planned for makeb, I was actually suprised it wasn't released with 1.5.  I'll have to look up the details and see how they spin that, if they even bother to at this point.  A few things I wanted to add-

1) if your into MMOs enough to be here on this site posting, you are not the free player the devs are looking for.  Your way to involved and you care to much.  The type of free player they are looking to bring in won't share your concerns with the legacy system because they don't even know what that is.  I'm not saying nobody here will choose to use the system, just that you are not the focus and they don't care what you think.

2) most of the problems with the f2p conversion (aside from it just being a terrible idea to start with) are the same problems the game has always had- incompetence of the developers, misundering the customers, lack of leadership and direction.  They are grasping at straws trying to find ways to make any money they can out of this mess and screwing the fans over or taking advantage of impluse buyers doesn't bother them at all.

  DSWBeef

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/11/09
Posts: 774

11/18/12 8:36:33 PM#58
Originally posted by tiefighter25

I don't think a lot of subscribers realize how much FTP (cash shop really) has already affected SWTOR's overall game design.

Here's my roughshod list of how it has already affected ToR. (Remember, they've been designing around the cash shop since Spring.)

 

1.) Content withholding. -

A] Since Spring they've only realiased (and that's including 1.5) 2 Operations and 1 companion.

B] Remember, that companion quest line was in game at Beta. As a part of their string out the subscribers/figure out a way to monetize everything, HK-51 was withheld. (His preview video was out in what June?)

C] The new unrealesed warzone Hypergates has been in playable form since August at E3 is still unrealeased. BW has said it will be in the next patch. That's 4 months of holding on to it.

D] Cathar- The Cathat have been ready, and previewed since June. They have been withheld until the cash shop was up to sell them to you.

2.) Restricting Itemization

A] High end gear since the descion to switch to FTP has just been reskins of previous gear. By withholding gear, it makes the gear hidden within the $4.00 lockboxes more attractive on FTP release.

B] Withholding a wide array of gear that was available in Beta. This gear which was seen over a year ago now, is still unreleased. Expect to see it in new rounds of lock-boxes. (Which is funny since they will say, "Look what we've been up" when tat gear was created over a year ago.

3.) Makeb

A] Makeb is being withheld as a paid mini-expansiion. This is exceptionally greedy because it was oriinally intended as a major Patch release (as in no extra money to play). Makeb has been ready since May, but will now be sold to everyone, FTP and subber as a mini-expansion.

4.) Legacy

A] Here is where design as been directly affected by the cash shop. BW has stated that Legacy is their greatest feature and will receive their primary focus. Well now you know why Legacy pre-FTP was such a mooney sink. As it stands, Legacy perks are available aither by paying millions per perk, or an instant purchase of about $4.00 per perk in the cash shop. Guess which BW hopes you purchase. Expect to see many, many new Legacy perks in the future.

 

In summary: Since deciding to switch to FTP (Who's primary purpose was the addition of the cash shop) Bioware has withheld, Makeb, Hk-51, Hypergate Warzone, the Cathar, and all the gear that was in Beta. Since the decision to switch to FTP, their decimated staff has designed no new content, just reeasing content which was already in the pipeline.

Bioware intends to sell the Makeb patch as a mini-expansion, sell Cathat race unlocks, and put all the varied gear designed since before launch into lock-boxes.

In lieu of new content, Bioware will contiinue to add to its altaholic Legacy perk system. Those perks will now be obtainable by either grinding out million upon millions of credits, or purchasing them directly fro the cash shop.

When you can't get more money from more subscribers, you attempt to get more money per remaining subscriber.

If Bioware will be succesful in doing this, we shall see. Bioware is putting its faith in its remaining playerbase being content with no real new content and paying for cash shop purchases many times over what they already pay as a monthly sub.

The FTP option, is nothing but a tack on to garner a modicum of publicity, allow EA to stop reporting subs, but most importantly to Bioware, to sell, sell, sell micro-transactions in its cash shop. I base the FTP as nothing more then a ruse in that the restrictions are purposively unbearable, the servers are not designed for either the initial FTP rush or any real vast increase in players, there has been virtually no marketing campaign for the FTP switch.

Think about, why spend money on advertising when your customer already knows about the new product. SWTOR, (much I'm sure to MMORPG's chagrin) has not even bought a browser background ad here. (I see ads for RIFT, STO, GW2, EvE, a bunch of other Asian games, no SWTOR). EA is spending as little as it can on SWTOR both in content creation and marketing. All that EA/Bioware is doing is getting the most it can out of its leased Star Wars IP, and hoping that compulsive micro-transaction purchasses will help defray their losses on the development of SWTOR. Here's a party-Jawa, go drop a few hundred on cartel coins.

Even Sevenstar cant fight these kind of facts. Quoted for Truth. I even like swtor, if Rift didnt exist id be playing SWTOR to get my themepark fix. It has awesome story conent, Decent looking graphics, the first battlegrounds ive ever liked. To bad EAWare had to release it will buggy ass content and literally nothing to do post story content. You either level and alt, grund hutt ball, or do buggy ops.

Playing: Archeage Alpha, World of Warcraft, and Diablo 3
Waiting on: Archeage, Everquest Next and The Black Desert

  rdrakken

Apprentice Member

Joined: 6/15/12
Posts: 435

11/18/12 8:41:31 PM#59
Originally posted by superniceguy

F2P has ruined SWTOR... 

 I do believe the around 70% of the people that quit playing and caused the need for F2P will disagree with you...

Or are you one of the people from the main forums that are trying to tell everyone that the game was doing great and Bioware only made F2P out of the kindness of their hearts?

Anyway, SWTOR was ruined by fanboys that stopped all chances of Bioware ever learning there were issues with their game long before release...

  Sevenstar61

Elite Member

Joined: 7/22/12
Posts: 1594

"But it was so artistically done..." - Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words

11/18/12 8:48:54 PM#60

I agree that F2P put content on back seat. Now that it's in game I hope we will see content coming in promised pace and that Makeb and other stuff already in work will show up soon.

Would I want content to come sooner? Sure.

I love the game and I support it. That's the old school. When EQ2 launched in 2004, there was no new content for year or two. Nada, zero. But we sticked with it because we loved it. Even despite LU 13 LOL.

I am enjoying the game immensely. Nothing compares to SWTOR's FPS and Operations... NOTHING!!!!

Damian Shubert:

With regards to Makeb/Level cap increase and other stuff mentioned in E3 of this year, has the FTP launch affected the release timing of these new content? Is there an approximate date when we can expect the release of these?

The Free to Play option and Cartel Market were built by an entirely different team, in order to ensure the Makeb team remained completely focused on their target date. We definitely have a date in mind, and there should be news about that coming soon!

 

So I am waiting eagerly for new stuff and continue to love the game.

Cheers :)


Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search