Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | EverQuest | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,837 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,748
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Search
122 posts found
  Banquetto

Novice Member

11/18/12 2:29:32 PM#121

Originally posted by superniceguy
... until SWTORs F2P version.

In the free trial you could create more than 2 chars. In SWTORs F2P version you can only have 2 chars, and can not even buy more slots. SWTOR is a altaholic game, and they block the only reason for keeping playing SWTOR? Thats dumb 

What the hell??

Are you serious? You can't buy character slots??

That's the most insane and moronic business decision I have ever heard of. I would have thought that would be a guaranteed seller.

Deewe

Novice Member

11/18/12 5:46:14 PM#122
Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Deewe

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by LhynnSaint Actually i prefer how it was before, the free trial was good enough to hook new players, this new f2p shit will just drive them away. it really isnt that complicated :p
Except it wasn't. If it was, they'd still be doing it.  
Uh Oh! That means SWTOR will not last that long then. Soon they will not be doing it either!   Free trial > F2P for hooking new players. If the free trial wasn't hooking new players, then the F2P version will atract even less The F2P is so restrcitive, and if you are a new player then it is best to sub. The free trial was not so restrictive, and then you get to level 15 and have to sub any way. Either way you still have to sub, but the free trial was less restrictive and more free.
If Free Trials were better at getting new players to play, then every game that went F2P would get even fewer players than when they had a Free Trial. So far, every game that has taken a F2P option gets more players and money than the Free Trial option got them. ** edit ** @Karteli - I'm always surprised when a game company's representative talks in a simple, and straight manner with their audience. I prefer it to be honest.  
Every game that went F2P got more players because their system wasn't as restrictive asTOR's.

TOR's F2P makes it a pain to play compared to what they had before.

My experience playing now seems almost exactly the same as it was before. Of course, I'm not all that into the instances and PvP, so for me, the free content is all the content I would have wanted in the first place.

It is entirely likely that SWToR's F2P system won't work. As you've pointed out, their F2P has many details different from other F2P conversions. That doesn't mean that all F2P systems perform worse than Free Trial systems in getting new players.

We'll have to see how their financials go to see if they consider this a success or not.

Would the F2P system be based on Turbine's you would (eventually) have paid for class story unlock, meaning bringing cash into the game.

Totally agree with your F2P note. A well done F2P mechanic can indeed bring more players and more cash in game. Turbine and others proven that.

Actually they are aiming at 3 milion players (check Jeff hickman interview). I serioulsy doubt they will hit it regarding the business model and the competitors.

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Search