Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,152 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,224,671
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

7 posts found
  Nitth

Elite Member

Magic Propels my Rolly Chair.

OP  11/15/12 8:03:45 PM#1

So having actually read the tos this time around i noticed a clause i am kind of un easy with..

As i bought a physical box, I was not required to start an Origin account previously.
Am i to assume with this ToS that i will have to merge my swtor account with an origin one?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Karteli

Apprentice Member

11/15/12 9:44:50 PM#2

That would be bad news if Origin becomes required.

Maybe it's required now to create a new account? ..which may curb people from having multiple accounts.  It wouldn't surprise me either way.  EA was pushing Origin even before the release of SWTOR, and (I think) only allowed physical box purchases to skip Origin because of bad media press last year, dealing with all the spyware features that Origin comes with (records every website you visit, web history, what games you play, when you play, what application software you use, etc etc.)

There's a rumor that the new Sim City will require Origin as well :(

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

User Deleted
11/15/12 10:49:28 PM#3
Originally posted by Nitth

So having actually read the tos this time around i noticed a clause i am kind of un easy with..

As i bought a physical box, I was not required to start an Origin account previously.
Am i to assume with this ToS that i will have to merge my swtor account with an origin one?

yes you have to . anyways i dont have any problem doing that .both information is stored on same servers . so if you think that you are save without using origin than you are wrong 

Karteli

Apprentice Member

11/17/12 7:38:36 PM#4

Can anyone confirm Origin being required to create a new account for SWTOR Freemium?

I read Origin's EULA, and I know I don't want to install it.

Can anyone deny that Origin is required for a new SWTOR account?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

tiefighter25

Novice Member

11/17/12 9:13:16 PM#5

Well, I believe it's the same setup as before the switch to FTP.

You need an Origin account, but you do not need the Origin software to play.

Yes this allows Origin to inflate it's account numbers in its seemingly futile competition with Steam, but it actually makes sense.

By tying your information to Origin, Bioware can use Origin's secure infrastructure for credit-card processig and payment.

This is now even more important now that microtransactions are involved.

My 2 ¢ anyway. Maybe someone knows more/better.

*edit because why not?

Senden

Advanced Member

11/18/12 3:07:35 AM#6
Lol Origin.. if SWTOR is EA's failed attempt at challenging WoW, Origin is EA's catastropihc attempt at challenging steam. Don't see why EA keep trying to push Origin, it's never going to take off. 
s3nd3n Xfire Miniprofile
  saxifr

Advanced Member

11/18/12 7:29:35 AM#7

Make sure you read the full TOS each time you log in.

EA will probably add something "by pressing the play button, you agree for us to charge you $.05 each time you press the space bar on your computer, whether you are logged into SWTOR or not"

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!