Trending Games | World of Warcraft | ArcheAge | EVE Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,815,437 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,214,594
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Why is Bioware Selling Bikini Panties in Their Shop?

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Search
146 posts found
  OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

11/11/12 4:23:20 PM#121
Originally posted by Shadewood
Originally posted by Sevenstar61
I couldn't care less if they objecfiy women, just as long as I can get a similar outfit for my male character, which exposes a nice amount of man flesh and abs. I was highly dissappointed to see no such item for a male character on the list, which is a shame considering the amount of straight female and gay male players who play the game, who may want to buy such an item. Get with the times, Bioware. If you're going to objectify one gender, at least objectify the other in similar ways; or none at all. 

Lots of posts still on forum requesting SSR. One day BioWare will cave in and add it. There were speculations that Lucas did not agree to it (we all know BioWare is not shy about it). The question is if it was the truth and if it was, if changing from Lucas to Disney will change it.

It's not about "caving", this is a Bioware game, and if you've played previous Bioware games, they've features SGRA's [Jade Empire, KOTOR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect]. So it's only natural when people play these previous games, that many come to expect similar themes in SWTOR. The company dared to be different, set a progressive stance and stuck with it in their previous games. That's the problem, really. To make matters worse, Bioware stated "Same Gender Romance Arcs" would be added "SHORTLY" after launch. Its been nearly a year, so I can hardly blame people for being dissappointed with the company.  If it was reversed. and OGRA's were cut, many would be annoyed too. Especially since these were naturally, also in Bioware games.

And about Disney, well.. Disney's gotten a lot more proggressive over the years. They have equal employee spousal benefits for same sex couples, along with allowing allowing same sex weddings in their parks. There's also "Gay Day" in Disney World, which is one of the largest pride parades held in the world. I think there's a good chance Disney's probably not going to get involved.

I think the difference is all those other games were singleplayer. You never had to see a bunch of "gay" characters running around or kissing in cutscenes unless you wanted to play that way. In an online game, it's hard to have that content without offending those who don't want to see it/have it around them.

Me personally, I don't care. I'm just explaining a probable reason.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

Sevenstar61

Elite Member

"But it was so artistically done..." - Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words

11/11/12 4:26:43 PM#122
I couldn't care less if they objecfiy women, just as long as I can get a similar outfit for my male character, which exposes a nice amount of man flesh and abs. I was highly dissappointed to see no such item for a male character on the list, which is a shame considering the amount of straight female and gay male players who play the game, who may want to buy such an item. Get with the times, Bioware. If you're going to objectify one gender, at least objectify the other in similar ways; or none at all. 

Lots of posts still on forum requesting SSR. One day BioWare will cave in and add it. There were speculations that Lucas did not agree to it (we all know BioWare is not shy about it). The question is if it was the truth and if it was, if changing from Lucas to Disney will change it.

It's not about "caving", this is a Bioware game, and if you've played previous Bioware games, they've features SGRA's [Jade Empire, KOTOR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect]. So it's only natural when people play these previous games, that many come to expect similar themes in SWTOR. The company dared to be different, set a progressive stance and stuck with it in their previous games. That's the problem, really. To make matters worse, Bioware stated "Same Gender Romance Arcs" would be added "SHORTLY" after launch. Its been nearly a year, so I can hardly blame people for being dissappointed with the company.  If it was reversed. and OGRA's were cut, many would be annoyed too. Especially since these were naturally, also in Bioware games.

And about Disney, well.. Disney's gotten a lot more proggressive over the years. They have equal employee spousal benefits for same sex couples, along with allowing allowing same sex weddings in their parks. There's also "Gay Day" in Disney World, which is one of the largest pride parades held in the world. I think there's a good chance Disney's probably not going to get involved.

Thanks for this post. That's clarifying a lot. My use of cave in word was not the best :). I meant it as they would make it priority 1 or 2 instead of end of their list.

I hope they would add this option after F2P will go live, I have level 4 male sith warrior who would love to have some good talk with Quinn LOL.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Sevenstar61

Elite Member

11/11/12 4:29:47 PM#123
Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

I think the difference is all those other games were singleplayer. You never had to see a bunch of "gay" characters running around or kissing in cutscenes unless you wanted to play that way. In an online game, it's hard to have that content without offending those who don't want to see it/have it around them.

Yeah, there are as many "I quit" if you add it posts on SWTOR forum as "I quit" if you don't add it. The only option that would satisfy all would be a toggle "on" or "off" option in UI.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

GhostGeisha

Novice Member

11/11/12 4:31:23 PM#124
"sad"? beautiful! slave look right there.
  Havekk

Hard Core Member

11/11/12 4:33:21 PM#125

Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

I was looking over Duffy’s site HERE regarding the F2P shop items and prices and stumbled on the bikini panties they are selling. Is this for real. I mean really? I never thought their cash grab would come to this... this quickly.

I know they want to make money but is this the way to go about it? STO has Orion Slave girls and didn’t go this far. I appreciate a fine female figure and all but, come on man! Where is the line? It's a Star Wars RPG game not a sex on the beach simulation. Here is a screen shot of one pair you can get:  Is this the best they can come up with to cash in rather than actual new content to buy? I am not a prude but are they going too far to make a dime too easy by cashing in on our worst instincts? There are super hero games with a better dress code man... I like sexy women but I also admire intelligence class and all that too which work together to make a female hero. What happened to the story? Just sell T&A now? Just LOL. I wonder if it'll work? Are we game players that easy to milk for a few dollars? Or do "we" have any class? LOL. I never thought I'd be posting this... O.o (Edited to fight the typo monster that follows me around.)

They're not making any buy them or wear them. It's a pointless argument in regards to role playing. What the problem is?

Karteli

Apprentice Member

11/11/12 4:35:25 PM#126

It's not really a BioWare game, as anyone would expect.  BioWare sold their company to EA in 2007.  The Doctors who created these games left (presumably after their 5 year post-sale obligation expired).  Upon sale, nobodies heart or soul was in the game.  It's all EA.  And EA says alot of things for every game in their portfolio to keep profits high.

I admire your passion though.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

11/11/12 4:38:19 PM#127
Originally posted by Karteli

It's not really a BioWare game, as anyone would expect.  BioWare sold their company to EA in 2007.  The Doctors who created these games left (presumably after their 5 year post-sale obligation expired).  Upon sale, nobodies heart or soul was in the game.  It's all EA.  And EA says alot of things for every game in their portfolio to keep profits high.

I admire your passion though.

Not just the DR's. Most of the dev team and support are gone too.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

Shadewood

Novice Member

11/11/12 4:39:03 PM#128

Same Gendered content would purely optional, just like oppossite gendered content is. It's not like you're not going to have a lightsaber to your throat, with some sith lord saying "PICK THE OPTION TO FLIRT WITH THE GUY, or I will sever your head". Also, companion cutscenes are an entirely private affair, so the only way people are going to know about your same gendered romance with your smokin' companion, is it you tell someone about it. 

The only way anybody is going to be "offended", is if they choose to be offended. It's simple as that.

Sevenstar61

Elite Member

11/11/12 4:44:45 PM#129
Originally posted by wonderwise
"sad"? beautiful! slave look right there.

My Assasin loves his slave/apprentice and always encourage her to wear her favorite outfit. Need to get better screenshot :)

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

11/11/12 4:46:12 PM#130

Same Gendered content would purely optional, just like oppossite gendered content is. It's not like you're not going to have a lightsaber to your throat, with some sith lord saying "PICK THE OPTION TO FLIRT WITH THE GUY, or I will sever your head". Also, companion cutscenes are an entirely private affair, so the only way people are going to know about your same gendered romance with your smokin' companion, is it you tell someone about it. 

The only way anybody is going to be "offended", is if they choose to be offended. It's simple as that.

Apparently, you've been asleep for the last 20 years of "political correctness". Everything offends somebody nowadays.

Uronksur

Apprentice Member

11/11/12 4:55:28 PM#131

About the same-gender relationships, I really hate to say it, but I think a lot of you are underestimating just how bigoted a lot of people still are about such things.

Good God, I remember watching election coverage and watching CNN interview conservative Evangelical Christian voters in Ohio or Iowa or something, and they were just fine telling the media that they were voting for Romney to keep those horrible gay people in the closet and from destroying this super-awesome Christian nation with their nefarious evil gay agenda and how they just couldn't see how any True Christian(TM) could ever support those wicked homosexuals and baby killing so Obama must be either a secret atheist/muslim/socialist.

This caused me to lose faith in humanity somewhat. So you might have to consider the possiblity that EA/Bioware hasn't implemented them yet because they are afraid of a market backlash of parents screaming that EA/Bioware is trying to indoctrinate their children with the liberal agenda. Remember that while these same-sex relationships were in Dragon Age and Mass Effect (I think, right?), those games were rated M while SWTOR is T, and could possibly have more children playing. And even then, same-sex relationships in DA and ME were hardly announced too loudly.

And even with ALL of that, a moronic Fox News segment still labled Mass Effect as some depraved alien sex simulator. Here, you can watch it for laughs and more evidence that Fox News is pure idiocy not to mention Fox getting totally humilated. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU

By the way, I studied psych in college so I hope you will give me some credit when I say that Fox's "psychologist" is full of crap.

Robokapp

Hard Core Member

The only luck I had today was to have you as my opponent.

11/11/12 5:00:42 PM#132

what I find funny about the same-sex romance comments ... is what happens when I say "why not also add the option to have a child slave".

Sevenstar61

Elite Member

11/11/12 5:03:39 PM#133

The meaning of tolerance is to be tolerant to all points of views. We might not be able to understand or comprehend others but we should respect their views, as long as they do not impart them on others.

Until people will have more love and tolerance for others and accept everybody for who he/she is... we will always have problem. I understand though that bioWare wants to play safe, the only way they can indroduce it to game imo, is if there will be toogle on and off.

Karteli

Apprentice Member

11/11/12 5:23:01 PM#134
Originally posted by Uronksur

About the same-gender relationships, I really hate to say it, but I think a lot of you are underestimating just how bigoted a lot of people still are about such things.

Good God, I remember watching election coverage and watching CNN interview conservative Evangelical Christian voters in Ohio or Iowa or something, and they were just fine telling the media that they were voting for Romney to keep those horrible gay people in the closet and from destroying this super-awesome Christian nation with their nefarious evil gay agenda and how they just couldn't see how any True Christian(TM) could ever support those wicked homosexuals and baby killing so Obama must be either a secret atheist/muslim/socialist.

This caused me to lose faith in humanity somewhat. So you might have to consider the possiblity that EA/Bioware hasn't implemented them yet because they are afraid of a market backlash of parents screaming that EA/Bioware is trying to indoctrinate their children with the liberal agenda. Remember that while these same-sex relationships were in Dragon Age and Mass Effect (I think, right?), those games were rated M while SWTOR is T, and could possibly have more children playing. And even then, same-sex relationships in DA and ME were hardly announced too loudly.

And even with ALL of that, a moronic Fox News segment still labled Mass Effect as some depraved alien sex simulator. Here, you can watch it for laughs and more evidence that Fox News is pure idiocy not to mention Fox getting totally humilated. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU

By the way, I studied psych in college so I hope you will give me some credit when I say that Fox's "psychologist" is full of crap.

Older games had SG twists, it's not anything new.  Politicians treat it as such because ... they are biggots.

It was somewhere around Ultima 4-6, in the 80's early 90's when the main character met a group of traveling gypsies.  Sex preference was inquired upon.  It was part of the adventure :P  It didn't affect the overall story.

I'm less inclined to buy EA Games now because I think they are a bunch of liars.  I think they are still promising SGRA, even though they promised it last year .. /sigh

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Yamota

Advanced Member

"I fight so you don't have to."

11/11/12 5:30:57 PM#135
Haha, pretty pathetic. This if anything shows what a ridicilous cash grab this game is. But then again every SW item released in the last decade was.

Whitebeards

Advanced Member

11/11/12 5:34:21 PM#136

Of all the flaws and shortcomings this is what people focus on and talk about for 14 pages.

o..O

Sevenstar61

Elite Member

11/11/12 5:41:15 PM#137
Originally posted by Yamota
Haha, pretty pathetic. This if anything shows what a ridicilous cash grab this game is. But then again every SW item released in the last decade was.

What's ridiculous is that people try to picture companies as cash grabs just because they want to earn money.

Why Victoria's Secret is selling sexy outfits instead of full coverage bra and panties? because it sells.

And nobody force anybody to buy them. There are already similar outfits in game.

Let the free market decide it if will sell or not. Last I checked we were still living in capitalism, unless something changed here.

Yamota

Advanced Member

"I fight so you don't have to."

11/11/12 6:46:40 PM#138

What's ridiculous is that people try to picture companies as cash grabs just because they want to earn money.

Why Victoria's Secret is selling sexy outfits instead of full coverage bra and panties? because it sells.

And nobody force anybody to buy them. There are already similar outfits in game.

Let the free market decide it if will sell or not. Last I checked we were still living in capitalism, unless something changed here.

So SW is now Victorias Secret? Believe it or not there are some of us who likes the SW franchise and dont want to to be ridiculed by games like SW:TOR and their silliness.

Sevenstar61

Elite Member

11/11/12 7:45:46 PM#139

So SW is now Victorias Secret? Believe it or not there are some of us who likes the SW franchise and dont want to to be ridiculed by games like SW:TOR and their silliness.

It's a game. A little bit of silliness is welcomed. Besides we Sith... like to have variety in our wardrobe:)

Problem

Advanced Member

11/11/12 7:58:42 PM#140
Hm. Actually me gusta.

Citizen: Preach your filth elsewhere!

8 Pages First « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Search