Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,787,562 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,368
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Why do you read SWTOR threads?

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
29 posts found
  ignore_me

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/04/11
Posts: 2034

 
OP  10/10/12 2:32:50 PM#1
Just curious.

Why do read/respond to SWTOR threads?

I have a morbid fascination
I hate the game and need to express that rancor
I think that the haters need to be checked with reality
I like this game and I still follow it
There is nothing better to read about right now
(login to vote)

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

  Loktofeit

Elite Member

Joined: 1/13/10
Posts: 11916

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, Wildstar, and Combat Arms

10/10/12 2:38:12 PM#2
I just find it entertaining.

  Draron

Novice Member

Joined: 5/07/11
Posts: 1009

10/10/12 2:38:33 PM#3

4th for me. Surprised to not see any votes for the 2nd yet, tbh. 

Edit: Nevermind, someone stepped up and voted for it.

  gordiflu

Advanced Member

Joined: 1/22/07
Posts: 763

10/10/12 3:58:47 PM#4
No option to reflect my position: I just want to know what's going on. Helps building up a perspective of the present MMO panorama, even if it's information about a game you will probably not play.
  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Joined: 9/13/06
Posts: 18807

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

10/10/12 4:02:17 PM#5
Forum PVP.

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  RefMinor

Novice Member

Joined: 7/16/11
Posts: 3541

Hipster

10/10/12 4:49:58 PM#6

Have you confused hater with fanboy on option 3?

Also you missed the option "I like to see the tears"

  Sevenstar61

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/22/12
Posts: 1508

"But it was so artistically done..." - Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words

10/10/12 4:59:46 PM#7

Not sure. Every time I read these forums I promise myself that I am not going to come back to this forum anymore LOL.

I guess I am masochist


Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

  Draron

Novice Member

Joined: 5/07/11
Posts: 1009

10/10/12 5:02:19 PM#8
Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Not sure. Every time I read these forums I promise myself that I am not going to come back to this forum anymore LOl.

I guess I am masochist

Heheh, I feel that way about MMORPG forums in general. 

  Deivos

Novice Member

Joined: 10/14/04
Posts: 1701

Iarð skal rifna, ok upphiminn.

10/10/12 5:02:52 PM#9
Only reason I'd look at a SWTOR thread, like this one, would be because it pops up on recent forum activity at the right time for me to see it and have a modicum of interest to open in a tab before moving on to do what I originally intended.

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero. - Vaarsuvius

  JobeArthur

Novice Member

Joined: 11/29/11
Posts: 39

10/10/12 8:59:20 PM#10

I guess its just fun to read the posts of delusional white knight ala Bioware Defense Force dudes defending this game.

Plus its like the old SWG veteran refugee forum. Yet again we get to sit and watch another SW MMO die a slow painful, horrible but yet well deserved death.

Im not bitter about it and i really could care less either way tbh, its just a perfect storm of bad stuff happening to the genre everything from TOR being a bad cut, copy, and paste job of WoW, to the market being flooded with this type of crap MMO, Bioware's lack of talent or experience in MMO's( IMO its both), Bioware's secrecy like its pre launch hype(Soon) that just kills me!!! LOL, when in fact most of the MMO's Ive played always let the base know about some kind of yearly path of development of things not written in stone but what they are shooting for. CCP does this and even SOE did this with SWG.

I could throw in the bad CSR, Bioware's arrogance, crappy engine,ftp, the way they handled mergers and forced name changes and poor buggy updates as they continue to break more than they fix in every update since launch into the mix as well but thats like kicking a baby at this point as all they really seem to do well and consistently is piss of the player base. Not a formula for success imo.

Too many bad things happened to this game everything from bad luck, bad timing to poor management, if not for the IP game would have suffered the same fate as Earth and Beyond and Tabula Rosa.

In the end I hope I'm wrong and they can turn it around as i really want to play a SW MMO but as for the current state the game is in, I was not enjoying any of it outside of the story part, and lost all faith and doubt that they will, and really really not a fan of FTP at all.

 

  observer

Elite Member

Joined: 2/17/05
Posts: 2112

First came pride, then envy.

10/10/12 10:32:38 PM#11
It's interesting to see other people's perspectives on swtor, and how they differ from mine.  It's also interesting to see how the game develops over time.  This is mostly why i still follow past MMO forums.
  Johnie-Marz

Novice Member

Joined: 11/19/09
Posts: 860

10/10/12 10:44:13 PM#12

You missed creating an option for me.

I wait before I buy an MMO. Launch day is usually a mess and I like to let the company get a few bug updates in as well before I purchase.

I waited to buy SW:TOR and then began hearing bad things, so I skipped buying.

I follow the SW:TOR threads because, when it goes free to play I will try it out.

I have not made my own mind up about the game but there was enough criticism for me to not spend money initially. When it goes free to play I will judge the game for my self. If I like it, I may even subscribe, since I don't like getting nickel and dimed by a cash shop. If I don't like it, then it was money well saved.

  ignore_me

Apprentice Member

Joined: 7/04/11
Posts: 2034

 
OP  10/11/12 12:59:23 AM#13
wow great replies. Thank you for posting, I was curious to see how the pop here would fall. I regret not having more options but I was late for work.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

  keithian

Hard Core Member

Joined: 5/20/06
Posts: 2945

10/11/12 1:30:28 AM#14
Originally posted by JobeArthur

I guess its just fun to read the posts of delusional white knight ala Bioware Defense Force dudes defending this game.


 

This post is the definition of egocentric.  I always thought if someone likes something it actually might be that they actually like it, not that they are delusional.

There Is Always Hope!

  william0532

Novice Member

Joined: 7/16/11
Posts: 240

10/11/12 1:35:14 AM#15
I have too many hopes for the future of the game, and I want to go back down the road.
  JobeArthur

Novice Member

Joined: 11/29/11
Posts: 39

10/11/12 2:22:18 AM#16

I  wouldn't say its egocentric as it is nothing more than an observation.

I went through the CU, NGE with galaxies and in a way the same thing is happening with TOR. You have on one side people that are critical of the game and developers who are called haters but in reality we want the game to succeed, and on the other side you have people who claim the game is perfect and that Bioware can do no wrong while the game spirals into the ground.

I didn't break Ilum then close it down, Screw up PVP after 1.2 then 1.3, over nerf or over buff classes, come up with a lame resolve system, have a magic PVP stat that they added in the last few beta's against most of the communities wishes, remove a bunch of gear and items from beta, make a useless crafting system, space on rails, create a bunch of gear grinds and credit sinks, poor legacy system, release broken OP's, or lack any real public test server, come up with the gear RNG system of failure, choose an engine that was in beta and not optimize it, or open way too many servers at launch, not release a LFG tool at launch, dual spec, broken back fill for WZ's, lower the TTK to 3 globals, not have any tiers in PVP, any real type of end game thats not mind numbing, Valor Farmers, premades vrs pug farming, or FTP... i could go on for 5 pages but i wont.

No if players would actually demand higher quality or even just to have a real test server with real testing that would even be a step in the right direction but most of the feedback would go ingnored as it did with the Betas i took part in. Its actually sad about the quality of updates Bioware has been giving. look at my first post on this account as i lost my old account, I think I gave it a rating of 9 and I loved the story part of the game it wasn't until i hit 50 with 2 chars and 48 on another and all the broken crap every patch and things not working no eta's or communication at all really.

Hey all I wanted to do was play a SW MMO that worked and would be more than happy to pay monthly for it, but i guess thats too much to ask for, and considering the 2.4 million box sales compared to what they have last stated about subs over 500k less than a million I can safely say that I am not alone. 

White Knights and fanbois kill what could be a great game, Imagine if everyone left SWG with the NGE i would be willing to bet the CU version would still be around, or maybe the Pre CU, If the people didn't rage at CCP and its cash shop i would be willing to bet the game would be PTW by now. 

So in closing people who bitch and stop funding poor habits from developers are gamers who love games.. White Knights bring us FTP with loot boxes,cash grabs and crappy games. You should demand better as a gamer imo and hopefully as this game fails it sends a clear message to the industry. EA/Bioware could turn things around if they could get people with real talent and direction and not these clowns they have currently but the ironic part is anyone with those qualities would never work of EA anyway.. why would they? Reap was you have sown EA...

  Draron

Novice Member

Joined: 5/07/11
Posts: 1009

10/11/12 4:14:08 AM#17
Originally posted by keithian
Originally posted by JobeArthur

I guess its just fun to read the posts of delusional white knight ala Bioware Defense Force dudes defending this game.

This post is the definition of egocentric.  I always thought if someone likes something it actually might be that they actually like it, not that they are delusional.

Agreed.

  keithian

Hard Core Member

Joined: 5/20/06
Posts: 2945

10/11/12 1:06:16 PM#18
Originally posted by JobeArthur

I  wouldn't say its egocentric as it is nothing more than an observation.

I went through the CU, NGE with galaxies and in a way the same thing is happening with TOR. You have on one side people that are critical of the game and developers who are called haters but in reality we want the game to succeed, and on the other side you have people who claim the game is perfect and that Bioware can do no wrong while the game spirals into the ground.

I didn't break Ilum then close it down, Screw up PVP after 1.2 then 1.3, over nerf or over buff classes, come up with a lame resolve system, have a magic PVP stat that they added in the last few beta's against most of the communities wishes, remove a bunch of gear and items from beta, make a useless crafting system, space on rails, create a bunch of gear grinds and credit sinks, poor legacy system, release broken OP's, or lack any real public test server, come up with the gear RNG system of failure, choose an engine that was in beta and not optimize it, or open way too many servers at launch, not release a LFG tool at launch, dual spec, broken back fill for WZ's, lower the TTK to 3 globals, not have any tiers in PVP, any real type of end game thats not mind numbing, Valor Farmers, premades vrs pug farming, or FTP... i could go on for 5 pages but i wont.

No if players would actually demand higher quality or even just to have a real test server with real testing that would even be a step in the right direction but most of the feedback would go ingnored as it did with the Betas i took part in. Its actually sad about the quality of updates Bioware has been giving. look at my first post on this account as i lost my old account, I think I gave it a rating of 9 and I loved the story part of the game it wasn't until i hit 50 with 2 chars and 48 on another and all the broken crap every patch and things not working no eta's or communication at all really.

Hey all I wanted to do was play a SW MMO that worked and would be more than happy to pay monthly for it, but i guess thats too much to ask for, and considering the 2.4 million box sales compared to what they have last stated about subs over 500k less than a million I can safely say that I am not alone. 

White Knights and fanbois kill what could be a great game, Imagine if everyone left SWG with the NGE i would be willing to bet the CU version would still be around, or maybe the Pre CU, If the people didn't rage at CCP and its cash shop i would be willing to bet the game would be PTW by now. 

So in closing people who bitch and stop funding poor habits from developers are gamers who love games.. White Knights bring us FTP with loot boxes,cash grabs and crappy games. You should demand better as a gamer imo and hopefully as this game fails it sends a clear message to the industry. EA/Bioware could turn things around if they could get people with real talent and direction and not these clowns they have currently but the ironic part is anyone with those qualities would never work of EA anyway.. why would they? Reap was you have sown EA...

Your post is totally illogical and also egocentric. If someone eats a spoon of coffee ice cream and their tongue says they like it, who are you to say that they should have tried the Premium Coffee instead, or try another flavor because they obviously don't know whats good for them?

There Is Always Hope!

  Ice-Queen

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/02/08
Posts: 2430

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

10/11/12 1:08:14 PM#19
Only because it comes up in the current forum activity box on the main page.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

  Lawlmonster

Apprentice Member

Joined: 10/07/09
Posts: 940

Take my advice, I'm not using it anyway.

10/11/12 1:10:03 PM#20
Definitely morbid fascination. I had my fun with the game while it lasted, but that wasn't very long.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

2 Pages 1 2 » Search