Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Wasteland 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,857,797 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,243,472
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Can TOR's 3D space bring you back?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
77 posts found
  william0532

Novice Member

OP  10/06/12 2:17:26 PM#41
Originally posted by Nitth

Swtor is good for what it is. Problem is people always wanted it to be something its not.

Your right, I wanted an mmo, a genre usually associated with lots to do.

And I'm willing to wait for it. Or I'll move on if it goes under. While I really want starwars around, or sci fi mmo period, they are coming. Hell, Chris Roberts is making an mmo now(the guy who made wing commander) so who knows, maybe a land/space combo mmo is coming. I'd just rather it had been in the starwars universe(since its so diverse and big)

defector1968

Novice Member

Real Animal lovers are ONLY the vegetarians

10/06/12 2:26:29 PM#42

dont think thats is anythingthat can make me come back

the game has so many mistakes

Durray

Apprentice Member

10/06/12 2:47:27 PM#43
Originally posted by NagilumSadow

At this point, the only thing that would bring me back would be something to the effect of the following quote:

"Star Wars the Old Republic, the game that you know, was an (not so?) elaborate hoax -- it was developed for reasons of secrecy. The actual Star Wars the Old Republic will be released in the first quarter of 2013"

Honestly your quote just made my day!

Axxar

Hard Core Member

"See how I reward those who fail me!"

10/07/12 2:32:47 AM#44
Wouldn't bring me back. I left the game because the planets were missing that "MMO" feel. Adding space wouldn't fix that.
  FrodoFragins

Advanced Member

10/07/12 2:38:44 AM#45
I think the smartest thing they could do would be to hire people to just implement massive space combat in the game as an alternative to the WOW clone content.
  bubaluba

Novice Member

10/07/12 2:52:30 AM#46
For now TOR shines only as leveling game and after i leveled few classes to max i got bored. Space combat as you describe would be one good step forward, crafting like in swg and more exploring without restriction. They should make new start with new planets and change bad things from the start
  eddieg50

Advanced Member

10/07/12 9:30:20 AM#47
   The Story, the Production, Voice overs, were all Fantastic in SWTOR.  I was shocked at the pathetic space game. How can you possibly have that type of space game in Star Wars of all games.
  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

10/07/12 9:34:14 AM#48
I'd come back to try it. Probably not for anything less.

Arrogant, Dismissive, Elitist, you speak as if these are bad things?
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

iceman00

Novice Member

Kevin Tierney

10/07/12 9:09:08 PM#49
Originally posted by Tayah

Once I leave an mmo, nothing can get me back. Those same problems I had with the game will still be there.

With SWTOR the game world itself seemed so lifeless, nothing is gonna fix that anytime soon.

You return from time to time, but the luster is gone.  What initially attracted you to the game remains, but every other problem persists.

I play games for awhile, but once I unsub even for a brief time, if I come back, it isn't for longer than two months max.

hikaru77

Advanced Member

10/07/12 9:15:37 PM#50
It will be probably the 1st expansion, they called it ¨space combat secret proyect¨ and rumour says it will be like Rogue squadron or that old game called freelancer. 
  aRtFuLThinG

Hard Core Member

10/07/12 9:26:30 PM#51

I think if they fixed the space game and make if fantastic, than it wouldn't matter as much if the land-game is sub-par.

I believe that a lot of sci-fi/space fans has been hanging for a game that has some land elements but with fantastic space aspects. An Elite 3/X3 with a decent walkaround game would be the holy-grail of any sci-fi mmos, I think.

william0532

Novice Member

OP  10/07/12 11:49:39 PM#52
Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

I think if they fixed the space game and make if fantastic, than it wouldn't matter as much if the land-game is sub-par.

I believe that a lot of sci-fi/space fans has been hanging for a game that has some land elements but with fantastic space aspects. An Elite 3/X3 with a decent walkaround game would be the holy-grail of any sci-fi mmos, I think.

This is what I'm waiting for. I like eve, but it feels more like an rts(with the zooming out while your ship just sits there spamming fire), I've been waiting a good long time for a sci fi space game where it doesn't feel like I'm only getting half a game. STO gave me some hope, but the game was just so.....not what I would play.

If TOR had a great space game, I would be there, and in turn I would end up doing the stuff I don't really want to do(operations, flashpoints, warzones), cause you know how guild buddies can be, with the "c'mon man, we need one more"

Without the space game, or something that really hold's me, I ended up not logging on cause I didn't want to be dragged into doing things all the time that I don't really find fun(I like raiding, but somehow I always become the puzzle solver, and i hate it lol)

I keep waiting on that Holy-grail of sci-fi mmo's.(mass effect could have been it!), starwars should be it(it has everything a sci fi fan could want), just nobody ever gets it right.

Rhoklaw

Elite Member

$500 Backer to 2015's Top New MMO... The Repopulation!

10/08/12 12:16:57 AM#53
I hate to say it, but SWG was better than SWTOR and that's what boggles my mind. It's like game developers are going backwards with their design ideas. That being said, I can sense a long dry spell before we see any game even remotely close to the complexity, diversity and emotional attatchment we had with SWG.

Deewe

Novice Member

10/08/12 9:21:12 AM#54
Originally posted by Rhoklaw
I hate to say it, but a polished Pre-CU SWG was better than SWTOR and that's what boggles my mind. It's like game developers are going backwards with their design ideas. That being said, I can sense a long dry spell before we see any game even remotely close to the complexity, diversity and emotional attatchment we had with SWG.

Fixed ;)

ignore_me

Apprentice Member

10/08/12 9:53:52 AM#55

Given the complexity and depth of systems and features in this game, the odds that their "Space Upgrade" is anything other than a simplistic off the rails version of the rail shooter are worthy of being quoted by C3PO.

They should look at whatever they envision for this feature and make it about ten times more rich in features, depth, variation over time, and complexity.

Again, given what the rest of the game is like, it won't happen.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

halflife25

Apprentice Member

10/08/12 9:55:36 AM#56
I would come back regardless. Never got a chance to play the game because of busy work but once i have more free time i will re sub. I don't care much for space part for me SW was never about space combat.
  Deewe

Novice Member

10/08/12 10:01:22 AM#57
Originally posted by ignore_me

Given the complexity and depth of systems and features in this game, the odds that their "Space Upgrade" is anything other than a simplistic off the rails version of the rail shooter are worthy of being quoted by C3PO.

They should look at whatever they envision for this feature and make it about ten times more rich in features, depth, variation over time, and complexity.

Again, given what the rest of the game is like, it won't happen.

Gussing they are aiming at a BFII type of space sim, which is just a waste of time because it won't hold players in the long term.

While it's interesting as easy to step in it will gets old very fast.

Now a X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter game, not only can have simple missions to make the learning curve smooth and easy to start ; but also  due to the deeper complexity to manage the ship it would keep players hooked for a long time, PvE and PvP wise.

Nikopol

Apprentice Member

Brought to you by... The Spirit of Nikopol.

10/08/12 10:50:08 AM#58

OK, sci-fi MMO doesn't have to mean space, but, really now.. How do we not have something like X3: the MMO yet? Yeah, yeah, we do have EVE and it's great, but it's not what I'd call a space combat sim, it plays more like a space RTS.

Right now, if you're not playing EVE, your best bet is either Vendetta Online (it's cool, but has really low population), or Star Trek Online (it's not cool and it doesn't even feel like a space sim at all).

As for TOR... The game's design philosophy is so hell-bent on "directed gameplay" that I actually think that an open space game would feel too awkward.

Though I'll sure take it anyway! :)

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

10/08/12 10:52:25 AM#59
Not if it is as slickly soulless as the ground portion of the game.
  Unshra

Novice Member

10/08/12 10:55:48 AM#60
Originally posted by william0532

Now before you list everything wrong with TOR, or say everything is fine as it is, my question is too people like me who quit cause they disliked alot of its current features. I complain about alot of TOR's features, so please don't cite everything wrong with the game lol, cause I've probably already posted it:)

Pre launch, bioware had a poll "what would you prefer in a space experience" where rail shooter and turret shooter where tied for worst on the poll, and JTL(Jump to Light Speed, the swg space game) and 3D space with capital ship boarding finished at the top.

Since then, little snippet's here and there have suggested that they have been working on a super secret space project, and they have said it's not the current system or an addition to the current system.(In fact they have plainly stated a massive space project has been in the works, since the poll's realizations came to light)

So the question is, if TOR launches a very cool space game, 3D like JTL, or BF2, would you try it out? I for one would, but I'm curious if it could be a game changer for TOR. I played JTL in SWG for about six months without playing any landbased gameplay, simply because I got addicted fast.

I'm always told "space is a dumb niche" and maybe people are right, but I like it, I'm just curious if others do? I would sub for a couple month's if its as revolutionary as Bioware is claiming, would you?

If they release something like that, then it will most likely happen after Star Wars: The Old Republic goes "free to play" so in my opinion there would be no reason not to check it out if someone was on the fence about playing it, assuming it's not a feature they would have to purchase inorder to experience it.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search