Trending Games | WildStar | Neverwinter | Star Wars: The Old Republic | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,639,872 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,074,537
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Can TOR's 3D space bring you back?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
77 posts found
  william0532

Novice Member

OP  10/06/12 2:41:05 AM#21
Originally posted by tiefighter25
Swami, Swami, Swami, Swami, Swami.

LOL, I'm not sure about that. I read on Darth Hater that they where working on the engine for the space project(a quote from Daniel Erickson on how much work it is), so to me that would make me think that they already had an engine in mind. Not sure, you may be correct. Oh and the swg atmoshperic flight video was pretty damn hilarious.

Plus isn't black prophecy distributed by another distributor other than EA? Unless your thinking EA would swoop in and buy them while they are going bankrupt(EA wouldn't do that would they lol?)

Oddly enough you have questioning which developers worked on 3D space that's been bought out by EA lol

Draron

Novice Member

10/06/12 2:59:13 AM#22
Originally posted by tiefighter25

A retooled Black Prophecy will be the basis of the new SWTOR space combat. (No atmospheric flight, so none of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g97RVEp1t6Q&noredirect=1)

I remember watching this on livestream when chaos began. Good times.

I'm waiting for them to unveil the new space system with a bit of optomism. It's been said already it's not as on rails as the current system, but even if they just allow 3-dimensional movement it won't be enough IMO. They need more to the ship building part.

BrotherD

Novice Member

10/06/12 3:03:10 AM#23
It would help but this is juts another example of why TOR was a failure. This should have been there at launch and not a year later. The rail shooter space combat they have now is just really bad. They took the worst Star Wars game of all time (Rebel Assult) and copied it.

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

syntax42

Elite Member

10/06/12 3:26:05 AM#24

I haven't been following TOR's news.  Did they announce space combat without rails?

I did not quit TOR because of the space-on-rails.  I disliked it for breaking the immersion by not having lightsaber attacks inflict fatal or dismembering blows.  Before you say that would be overpowered, I have thought about this.  All they needed were shield generators for non-force people and real parry animations (every swing, not just as a defensive move) for force users.  Instead of a health bar, your shield or force focus wears down.  When it reaches zero, you take a fatal blow and fall over.

The whole game just felt like a reskinned version of WoW.  They didn't even make an effort to make the game different, beyond graphics, setting, and a few minor game features.

IG-88

Novice Member

10/06/12 3:45:11 AM#25

Im sceptical. BW really didnt get the concept with MMO´s being a world with players cooperating and doing stuff together in mutual interdependance.

With the total failure of an attempt to have spacecombat, i doubt they will have anything even remotely as good as JTL.

JTL had fully configurable ship, not two were alike.

The lootsystem with RE could keep you busy for days, allways looking for better parts or trading the ones you had.

The spacequests were epic, remember the Nova Orion questline?

And the coolest thing, the GUNSHIPS! Where you could bring a whole crew, manning the guns and op´s, or just have a party onboard.

Will we see something like this in TOR? Eh...naw...

Elikal

Spotlight Poster

“No path is darker then when your eyes are shut.” -Flemeth

10/06/12 10:54:31 AM#26
Originally posted by NagilumSadow

At this point, the only thing that would bring me back would be something to the effect of the following quote:

"Star Wars the Old Republic, the game that you know, was an (not so?) elaborate hoax -- it was developed for reasons of secrecy. The actual Star Wars the Old Republic will be released in the first quarter of 2013"

Lol, I'd like to see that! XD

A forum is a place where people can discuss about different opinions. So what I don't get is, how people react offended when they come to a forum and then find... well different opinions. If a different opinion offends you, what are you even doing here?

grimal

Spotlight Poster

10/06/12 10:57:17 AM#27
Originally posted by Aerowyn
still boggles the mind nothing like an updated x-wing vs tie fighter wasn't planned for the release of swtor way back when.. people loved that game and it would of brought in a ton of people... gah...

Yep.  JTL, I thought was very similar to Xwing/Tie-fighter.  That would be an awesome addition if they expanded on that.

Release a game with a very large established fanbase from 10+ years of bnet history when the market was still emerging and the casual base had not yet been established, thus ripe for harvesting a momentious self perpetuating playerbase people never leave because they have X hours invested in their characters, and their friends and everyone else plays anyway. Not discounting Blizzard quality... but WoW's success is as much about perfect timing as it is quality, if not more so. - Derros

Yakamomoto

Apprentice Member

10/06/12 11:08:41 AM#28

Absolutely YES.

But I expect nothing less than a whole universe to explore, not some cheesy "space warzone" with a loading screen at the start and the end, with Moonbreakers gameplay in between.

I demand: JTL Type loot system, Mining, PvE missions like X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and Battlefront II, atmospheric flight, PvP battles over objectives, Free roam exploration, dynamic events, trading and ship customization, multiplayer ships and a loading screen free experience where I can walk up to my ship, take off, be in space, fly back and land manually without loading screens.

If it´s gonna be a half assed attempt on a space shooter, I´ll pass

Ice-Queen

Hard Core Member

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

10/06/12 11:12:12 AM#29

Once I leave an mmo, nothing can get me back. Those same problems I had with the game will still be there.

With SWTOR the game world itself seemed so lifeless, nothing is gonna fix that anytime soon.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

meddyck

Elite Member

10/06/12 11:12:31 AM#30
No space wasn't remotely the reason why I cancelled after 3 months. I enjoyed the space mini-game although it got repetitive after a while. If they simply added more missions and upgrades, it would be fine for me. A big 3D space expansion is of no interest to me.

Camelot Unchained Founder
DAOC [retired]: R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R5 Healer

eddieg50

Hard Core Member

10/06/12 11:13:43 AM#31
If they brought in a Jump to lightspeed space I would be back in a flash.  I will come back anyway when they launch F2P but a good space game is what any star wars game needs,
  eddieg50

Hard Core Member

10/06/12 11:15:30 AM#32
Originally posted by BrotherD
It would help but this is juts another example of why TOR was a failure. This should have been there at launch and not a year later. The rail shooter space combat they have now is just really bad. They took the worst Star Wars game of all time (Rebel Assult) and copied it.

Well---- look at SWG, a lot of their features were not their at start and that include jump to lightspeed, in fact they had no space game at all

tiefighter25

Novice Member

10/06/12 11:37:33 AM#33

Well if you like tin foil hat spelunking (but positive for a change.)

Reakktor, developer of Black Prophecy, released statements desperately seeking work to prevent shutting its doors on Wednesday February 29th, 2012. (A good time for bargains yes?)

Bioware announced a super secret space project on Monday March 5th, 2012 in Austin.

Black Prophecy's distributor, Gamigo, sold it's 20% stake in Reakktor to Kirk Lenke. Kirk Lenke is the CEO of Reakktor.

On March 29th, 2012, the insolvent Reakktor announced it was in lockdown mode, but was not dead with official announcements to come in the future.

Reakktor's website has switched to an immage that simply says, "KK Reinkkarnation" with a progress bar that is periodically updated, from 10% to its current 50%.

Black Prophecy is a full 3D open space combat MMO featuring Quest missions, customizable ships, 2 faction PVP, and a built in Cash Shop (it was built on a Freemium model.)

Black Prophecy was closed on September 26th, 2012, Gamigo now has nothing to do with the game.

Juicy hype rumor on my part? Sure!

And to think I've been called a hater. Make me CEO of EA, I won't charge you a dollar a bullet. (Maybe a nickel, Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!)

On the glass half empty tip, if the SSSP isn't this (or something along these lines) I don't think it exsists.

Programing is hard yo. (Reakktor has 50 employees working on BP for a few years.)

Mothanos

Elite Member

10/06/12 11:49:20 AM#34

Unless ToR creates a universe like Eve i wont touch it ever again, worste money spend in my whole life.

WHen i think about Starwars i think about space....a massive universe with dozens and dozens of planets to claim, to battle over, to bombard from space and from ground.

instead they builded death scripted planets with no universe lol.
massive budget spend on the most anoying feature ever in mmo's (voice overs)

if only they would have spend that money on the stuff i listed we would have had one of the most epic mmo's of all times.

faction warfare
massive exploring in space
massive space battles like Eve online
massive ground battles with starwars siege weapons and tanks and stuff like that

would it not be epic to fight with those massive Destroyer ships in space with hundres of Tie fighters to defend it versus the jedi's counter parts ?

damn that defines Starwars for me :)

http://speedtest.net/result/2112016336.png

Karelia

Apprentice Member

10/06/12 11:58:17 AM#35
atm i m playing wow as main and a bit of gw2 in my spare time. i may try again rift or something else, but i ll never touch SWTOR again. its rip for me, for good
  Sinsai

Advanced Member

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
-Benjamin Franklin

10/06/12 12:00:39 PM#36

Nope,

JTLS didn't interest me with SWG so neither will anything they did to TOR's space game.

Nitth

Elite Member

Magic Propels my Rolly Chair.

10/06/12 12:02:21 PM#37

Swtor is good for what it is. Problem is people always wanted it to be something its not.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

fenistil

Novice Member

10/06/12 12:03:34 PM#38

No.

Problems I have with Swtor are about fundamental game design and concept - not because space combat is bad or because other particular element is not good enough.

erictlewis

Apprentice Member

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

10/06/12 12:08:56 PM#39

After the nge happened all we had left JTL, it was like a totaly seperate game from space combat.  However in swtor it is just a sidge game.

They need to fix other problems with this game, I am not subbing just to fly a space simulator.

william0532

Novice Member

OP  10/06/12 1:56:57 PM#40
Originally posted by syntax42

I haven't been following TOR's news.  Did they announce space combat without rails?

I did not quit TOR because of the space-on-rails.  I disliked it for breaking the immersion by not having lightsaber attacks inflict fatal or dismembering blows.  Before you say that would be overpowered, I have thought about this.  All they needed were shield generators for non-force people and real parry animations (every swing, not just as a defensive move) for force users.  Instead of a health bar, your shield or force focus wears down.  When it reaches zero, you take a fatal blow and fall over.

The whole game just felt like a reskinned version of WoW.  They didn't even make an effort to make the game different, beyond graphics, setting, and a few minor game features.

yeah, they have been throwing out little tidbits and teasing it for sometime. I should post all the links, but they are few and only one liners. Googling TOR secret space project will lead to most of the little quotes here and there, but its highly secretive as of late. Of course they said we would be hearing about it soon, but I think they have a ton on their plate so I don't know when "soon" will come.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search