Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Neverwinter | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,849,353 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,223,205
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » EA lays off 1000 - link inside

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
77 posts found
  Nadia

Elite Member

4/17/12 12:40:21 PM#21
  BarCrow

Elite Member

4/17/12 12:41:12 PM#22

I'm pretty sure they didn't can the entire SWTOR development team. I'm sure other games and developers suffered as well. Voted worst company overall also didnt help their stocks any.

I've always said I've noticed less population .....but i still enjoy the game and hope it remains for quite a while. No Star Wars MMO will ever fully live up to the expectation of fans of the IP.

I think any MMO going under is a bad thing. How many of you can revel in loss is beyond me. There is plenty of shit out there to play.Pick one  or go wank yourself silly in a corner somewhere while imagining your perfect mmo.

Bushi13

Novice Member

4/17/12 3:46:04 PM#23
Originally posted by Ecoces
Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Here's hoping that the industry crushes SWTOR, and the linear WoW model, into oblivion so that future MMOs are actually half decent :D!

I can dream can't i   :s?

so you're happy that 1000 people got laid off because a company didn't make a game that you like? thats real nice of you. geez i mean i understand people are haters and all that but i didn't think people would actually be happy about people losing their jobs so they (the haters) can pat themselves on the back and offer this as proof that they were right.

When i had read it I was I thought it was a little arsh but reading your comment helped me realise that even if it's really hard, you can only go so far with bad buisness.

The crisis is putting everybody to hardship and it is only fair that paying customers get what they paid for.

When you start to sell only packaging-hype-franchise it is unfair to fired the staff packing the boxes when nothing sell anymore. BUt it's also unfair to the customers that bought a superbe amazing game like EA advertise it.

And it would appear that much of the product is not finished like it should have been for that money.

It's like gambling with money from the bank, go has far as you can then release whatever has been created till here.

But I think the point is that Fadedbomb is not happy for the layoff and that you should anger your comment to EA because nothing of this layoff got to do with SWTOR lovers or haters. It is just EA buisness practice that are bad and should be considered by any gamer bying a game with EA affilition on it.

Which is about anything. Play Minecraft?

Diablow 3, it sucks ...

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

4/17/12 3:51:08 PM#24

considering the abomination that was the Syndicate remake

i hope they get in more shit and have to start selling their classic ips to people that will do them justice

I would love a new Magic Carpet, Dungeon Keeper, Daoc, Wing Commander, populos, ultima etc..

Just not made by anyone who has anything to do with EA.

TwwIX

Novice Member

4/17/12 4:15:32 PM#25

Karma's a bitch. Sooner or later, she catches up to you. Looks like she finally caught up to EA's bullshit game design and anti consumer business practices.

Good. I hope Activision is next.

Zekiah

Advanced Member

Hype (noun)
1. to trick; gull.
2. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
3. swindle, deception, or trick.

4/17/12 4:17:02 PM#26

Hmm, good thing I held off on buying EA stock then. 

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Slampig

Hard Core Member

Whatever you do, do NOT speak ill of Asheron's Call 2...

4/17/12 4:19:06 PM#27
Originally posted by Nadia

this was the same article posted here yesterday

http://startupgrind.com/2012/04/exclusive-electronic-arts-set-to-lay-off-500-employees/

EA is denying it but time will tell

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/ea-denies-rumored-layoffs-claims-business-as-usual/

Awesome misleading thread title. I don't understand why you all can't wait until it is official instead of posting BS threads like this one...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

TwwIX

Novice Member

4/17/12 4:20:29 PM#28
Originally posted by Slampig
Originally posted by Nadia

this was the same article posted here yesterday

http://startupgrind.com/2012/04/exclusive-electronic-arts-set-to-lay-off-500-employees/

EA is denying it but time will tell

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/ea-denies-rumored-layoffs-claims-business-as-usual/

Awesome misleading thread title. I don't understand why you all can't wait until it is official instead of posting BS threads like this one...

Hahaha! Like they're going to admit the failure of their games. EA, of all people? Hahahaha!

Sith2112

Novice Member

4/17/12 4:29:40 PM#29

Here's hoping that the industry crushes SWTOR, and the linear WoW model, into oblivion so that future MMOs are actually half decent :D!

so you're happy that 1000 people got laid off because a company didn't make a game that you like? thats real nice of you. geez i mean i understand people are haters and all that but i didn't think people would actually be happy about people losing their jobs so they (the haters) can pat themselves on the back and offer this as proof that they were right.

This - on so many levels...

Haters are happy and people with a sense of common decency are concerned about the folks being impacted.

nuf said.

TwwIX

Novice Member

4/17/12 4:46:38 PM#30
Originally posted by Sith2112

Haters are happy and people with a sense of common decency are concerned about the folks being impacted.

nuf said.

Why should he be concerned about them? He's not responsible for their job loss. They chose to associate themselves with a shitty company like EA. They've got nobody but themselves and their employer to blame for their sacking. This isn't the first time EA has done this nor is it the last. So, get off your high horse already.

NasherUK

Novice Member

4/17/12 4:54:04 PM#31
Originally posted by Boatsmate

Sounds like they are punishing the poor saps at the bottom who probably do all the heavy lifting and know what they are doing , and ignoring the blithering idiots at the top who actually make the bad decisions. The result is that nothing changes. Except morale.

This is EXACTLY the problem in most companies where stuff goes wrong.  Crap managers lay off the hard working staff, then move on to screw up something else.  Seen it so many times :/

Anyway, the population on my server appears to have almost doubled since 1.2.  The fleet is packed during peak times like it was at launch and we've had way over 100 people in the starting zones recently.  Most likely they hired far to much people to start with, again, bad management at EA.

dontadow

Novice Member

4/17/12 4:58:21 PM#32
Originally posted by paulytheb

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-laying-off-up-to-1000-report-6371851

an excerpt from the article ~

The story is written by former EA employee and Burnout franchise product manager Derek Andersen and cites multiple sources within the company for the news. Andersen pointed to a variety of contributing factors for the cuts, noting that the massively multiplayer online role-playing game Star Wars: The Old Republic did not meet internal sales estimates and is facing declining subscription numbers.

EDIT **  My apologies if this was a repost. I missed the other thread. I thought this was new news.  Again, my apologies.  **

Taht sucks, I hate EA.  

They ahve screwed up so many things I loved.

Madden - they took away other developers making football games.  I use to lve the competition between madden and gameday or madden and joe montana or the sega products

Burnout - Burnout was such a fun arcade racer.  There was no better puzzle game that combined mayhem with tactis than the burnout mode in that game.  

SWTOR - this game needed another year of testing. Actual "game design", not story, didn't take place or was redeveloped when EA bought bioware in 2008. We got a game rushed to market to get in by christmas that is just enough to satisfy a handful of folk but not enough to keep subscribers and breakaway as a next generation game.  Most of the budget went into  

Axllow18

Advanced Member

4/17/12 5:27:10 PM#33
Originally posted by TwwIX

nuf said.

Why should he be concerned about them? He's not responsible for their job loss. They chose to associate themselves with a shitty company like EA. They've got nobody but themselves and their employer to blame for their sacking. This isn't the first time EA has done this nor is it the last. So, get off your high horse already.

[Mod Edit]

The people who lost their jobs were well aware of what they were getting into when they made the choice to work for EA.

I hate to be so straight forward about it, but that is all there is to it. Since starting college myself for Game Art I have heard from not just other students, but also counselors and even teachers about the way EA and Activision as well as several others tend to kick employees to the curb with not a second thought. There are places in the industry that are notorious for the poor treatment of employees, and EA happens to be at the top of the list and has been for years. (Did you not even hear about the EA Spouse business?)

Considering the way EA treats its employees and the kind of reputation they have for it in the industry, you would have to be either extremely dense or just plain stupid to take a job at EA and not keep other options open.

NaughtyP

Novice Member

4/17/12 5:28:21 PM#34

It's an industry where "business 101 man" makes the decisions and the hardworking brains of the operation are chewed up and spit out at their leisure. Actually, that's the case for a lot of IT/software-related jobs I would say. The words "job satisfaction" are a mystery to me... lol.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

TwwIX

Novice Member

4/17/12 5:55:14 PM#35
Originally posted by TwwIX

nuf said.

lol - spoken like a true self entitled moron.

I guess you out witted me.. 

good one.

edit - Actually let me rephrase that - a true uneducated self entitled moron. - yeah that sounds more like it.

How am i being self entitled? Do you even know the meaning of that or do you just starting using internet buzzwords whenever you go into rage mode?

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

4/17/12 6:24:09 PM#36
Originally posted by NaughtyP
The words "job satisfaction" are a mystery to me... lol.

"This job 'fulfilling in creative way', such a load of crap."  --code monkey

No worries, the seven-figure guys get canned for lots of things beyond their control too..it just takes longer for Karma to catch up.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

dontadow

Novice Member

4/17/12 6:35:46 PM#37
Originally posted by Icewhite
Originally posted by NaughtyP
The words "job satisfaction" are a mystery to me... lol.

"This job 'fulfilling in creative way', such a load of crap."  --code monkey

No worries, the seven-figure guys get canned for lots of things beyond their control too..it just takes longer for Karma to catch up.

Unfortunately golden parachutes are not like unemployment. 

slicknslim88

Novice Member

4/17/12 6:44:27 PM#38

yeah like what most people have said in this thread already, this seems like a management issue.  They counted their chickens before they hatched basically.  Misinterpreted how SWTOR would do.  They should have known that gamers would see their WoW clone game as a lazy attempt at milking the Star Wars franchise for as much as it's seemingly worth.  Seems like they estimated it's worth far too much.

And because the suits did that, the little guys who worked on the game get to pay for it with their jobs.  I have to say that EA has had this coming, hopefully Capcom, and Activision are next.  Maybe this will make way for gaming companies that actually care about their customer base like Arenanet and Runic Games.

Renoaku

Hard Core Member

4/17/12 6:46:34 PM#39

It is sad to say but I think that SWTOR will be going F2P reguardless of their patch SWTOR already has dying reputation and when I returned to give the game another try on the trial I didn't see many changes that wanted to keep me there let alone what I am hearing about the game now.

SWTOR could have been a great game, I know this is a bit off topic but I remember back in the day when Red Alert, and Red Alert2 were around those were the days when these games were great, however then CNC Generals Came out, and all these other games and all of a sudden I noticed how EA started to decline from Mass Effect 3 to SWTOR, and everything in between.

I would like to see SWTOR as a very good game, however I do not think that is possible unless the developers of the game all get on the ball work together add a ton of customization that should have been in the game to begin with and such otherwise the game is done for and I believe in the future this game will loose more subscribers more than likely on the release of Tera Online, Guild Wars 2, even FireFall, right now some people might think FireFall sucks, however it is being improved still in beta, and will more than likely beat SWTOR as in the end you are doing nothing but killing mobs grinding quests and while FireFall for example is just a shooter in the end thati s all SWTOR is is click Skill A B C D do damage or heal, nothing amazing nothing ground breaking.

I don't like saying this but if you ever watched the show on television called Stupid In America, that is what I see We need game designers that can give people what they want. For example back between the early years of I would say up until 2005 we had game artists and designers that actually knew how to design and did a better Job, then came the F2P industry and all these games released being run by game companies and management that doesn't know what they are doing like I know it can be hard work to develop and design a game I don't expect it to be perfect but I expect it to improve over time and have decent features on release.

I hope that SWTOR will improve because the way I see it EA is loosing money they are going to have to regain that money some how for the mistakes they made so maybe clearing house isn't such a bad idea find new people who can design and make a game better.

wrekognize

Novice Member

4/17/12 6:49:09 PM#40

You can't buy creativity. EA tried.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search