Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Wasteland 2

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,098 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,245,491
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Major patch 1.2 bugs prompt unscheduled server maintenance

12 Pages First « 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Search
238 posts found
  noncley

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/16/12
Posts: 635

4/13/12 3:51:53 PM#221
Originally posted by Fluxii

Servers are up way ahead of then they've said, they gave a day of compenstion though the majority of the people that play the game are at work and uneffected AND

 

That's on top of the already 30 free days plus free pet they wer giving active sub's...

 

DAMN they're an EVIL company that doesn't care.

 

When was the last time Blizz (or most others) did something like that for one of their mistakes or for loyal customers... eh yea

 

 

Blizz doesn't apologize when it makes mistakes. It doesn't have to. It's a successful game that hasn't lost subscribers like a gangster spouting blood in a Godfather film.

  noncley

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/16/12
Posts: 635

4/13/12 3:53:01 PM#222
Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

the company obviously cares about their f'ing game.

they have to, its what generates their salaries. 

they don't WANT SW:TOR to become a failure, even if a bunch of nerds on this website do.

If the company cared about the game, they wouldn't have made such a bad one.

  noncley

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/16/12
Posts: 635

4/13/12 3:54:54 PM#223
Originally posted by fundayz
Originally posted by davestr1zl

Its clearly a mistake, it rolled back practically everything (content, areas in the game, etc). The dev's posted in the dev blog the servers are going down again and they'll fix it.

Even if that is the case, the incompetence is astounding.

First they make it clear to their playerbase how little they actually care about them (but oh how they love their wallets) and then they can't even implement a content patch without breaking the game?

 

gg BioWare, gg

It does show how extraodinarily inexperienced the devs at Bioware are when it comes to the creation and now maintenance of an MMO.

  User Deleted
4/13/12 4:01:38 PM#224

The developers should get ,"Dark and Light" points for their decisions regarding the game. I bet the control room there at Bioware looked like their Bridge was being boarded by the Empire when that patch bombed. Red lights flashing...voice on Emergency Channel..."Patch Crash Imminent!! Seal all air locks!..."

  GeezerGamer

Elite Member

Joined: 4/03/12
Posts: 4777

4/13/12 4:13:57 PM#225
Originally posted by Fed1
Originally posted by GeezerGamer
 

Weather you like thie games or not, Trion, as a company, has earned the respect of even it's strongest critics. EA/BW...........not so much.

 

That is kinda funny considering all the problems Trion has had with Rift.

I will just mention one that overides ALL other considerations:

TRION HAD ZERO ACCOUNT SECURITY.  Hackers could steal your account just by you being in game. In addition, the had customer information stolen this past year.

 

 

SoE had Playstation accounts hacked, So did Blizzard, iTunes had customer info stolen, RSA,There is irony for you. They make SecurID, the same technology used in keyfob authenticators.They were hacked.  WordPress, Zappos, My Gmail account got broken into from China once. So did many major financial institutions. Hate to say it, there is no saftey online. you can take precautions, but nothing is 100%. So why do you single out Trion among the dozens of online services?

Could it be you have soemthing against their game?

It's the sad state of the genre. The next big title has as many threads discussing issues with it's business model than issues with the game itself.

  echolynfan

Novice Member

Joined: 1/26/10
Posts: 721

I ain't got a gat but I gotta soldering gun

4/13/12 4:19:32 PM#226
Originally posted by mrshroom89

Still a new game things like this happen or is this ur guys first mmo?

I've played just about every MMO out there and the utter incompetence that the [mod edit] team is showing is staggering. It's not just this time - it's EVERY freaking time they touch the damn game.

If the game was incredible and fun you could almost forgive this kind of crap but it's not and you can't.

Currently playing as Pete Puma on Excalibur. FF ARR - The best MMO I've played since SWG!

  Fed1

Novice Member

Joined: 1/17/08
Posts: 174

4/13/12 4:22:45 PM#227
Originally posted by GeezerGamer
Originally posted by Fed1
Originally posted by GeezerGamer
 

Weather you like thie games or not, Trion, as a company, has earned the respect of even it's strongest critics. EA/BW...........not so much.

 

That is kinda funny considering all the problems Trion has had with Rift.

I will just mention one that overides ALL other considerations:

TRION HAD ZERO ACCOUNT SECURITY.  Hackers could steal your account just by you being in game. In addition, the had customer information stolen this past year.

 

 

SoE had Playstation accounts hacked, So did Blizzard, iTunes had customer info stolen, RSA,There is irony for you. They make SecurID, the same technology used in keyfob authenticators.They were hacked.  WordPress, Zappos, My Gmail account got broken into from China once. So did many major financial institutions. Hate to say it, there is no saftey online. you can take precautions, but nothing is 100%. So why do you single out Trion among the dozens of online services?

Could it be you have soemthing against their game?

The difference is btw Trion and the companies you mentioned is:

TRION HAD ZERO ACCOUNT SECURITY. Hackers could steal your account just by you being in game.

 

  GeezerGamer

Elite Member

Joined: 4/03/12
Posts: 4777

4/13/12 4:25:15 PM#228
Originally posted by Fed1
Originally posted by GeezerGamer
 

SoE had Playstation accounts hacked, So did Blizzard, iTunes had customer info stolen, RSA,There is irony for you. They make SecurID, the same technology used in keyfob authenticators.They were hacked.  WordPress, Zappos, My Gmail account got broken into from China once. So did many major financial institutions. Hate to say it, there is no saftey online. you can take precautions, but nothing is 100%. So why do you single out Trion among the dozens of online services?

Could it be you have soemthing against their game?

The difference is btw Trion and the companies you mentioned is:

TRION HAD ZERO ACCOUNT SECURITY. Hackers could steal your account just by you being in game.

 

How is it now? 

It's the sad state of the genre. The next big title has as many threads discussing issues with it's business model than issues with the game itself.

  User Deleted
4/13/12 4:33:30 PM#229

The curse of SWG beta has and will plague all starwars MMO's. if they doin't get it right in beta it's over.the starwars fans will eat your heart on a platter whilst it's still beating.

 

These poor BW saps are starting to get a taste of that wrath and next will be a NGE for TOR and the whole game goes up in smoke. sad to see it repeat for this game, but starwars fans are rabid people that make love to their obi-wans toys and claim medichlorians are some mistake made in the dialogue and no such thing was said.

hate is strong even if they never played SWG. it's genetic maybe :P

  troublmaker

Novice Member

Joined: 5/10/11
Posts: 340

4/13/12 4:44:44 PM#230

When Blizzard with three years of MMO experience and a reputation as being the best in the industry rolled out their first Burning Crusade balance patch the impending patch made Karazhan (10-man dungeon) vanish.  They brought the servers online and within 25 minutes they realized it was gone (as many of the developers actually raid hardcore  in their own game).  The servers were taken down for a period of 48 hours with updates of "one more hour" every hour.

It's kind of just how patches go.  Sometimes they launch smoothly, othertimes they need tweeking.

For people who beleive Trion are these perfect developers, they are not.  The difference between Bioware and Trion is quality.

When Trion released the library warzone they released it with this bug in place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW3QCgYGpGo

Apparrently this exploit  is still there and can still be abused to make this warzone pointless.  When other developers have massive exploits like this they do something about it.  Blizzard for example turned off fire in Oggrimar Arena because a debuff exploit was making the fires do way too much damage.

These bugs kind of just happen.  Now if they don't refund game time and don't refund items purchased that stopped existing, then people should be mad.

Website: http://www.thegameguru.me / YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/users/thetroublmaker

  User Deleted
4/13/12 4:47:12 PM#231

Without going into detail, I had the weirdest ,most unprovoked spat with a GM in this game I have ever seen or heard of in a game. I have played since EQ1 and have never been banned,warned,or treated like that in a game. I even recieved an odd email from  him that appeared to be hand-drafted and misspelled my account name. Very unprofessional.It looked like some hacker sent it, but I established form CS it was real. And they,"Undid" what had been done by him. I now feel like the old saying,"If you wait long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by in the river before you." Cheers...weird GM. Remember me?

  User Deleted
4/13/12 4:49:43 PM#232

remember when some of us were saying that it's like this company didn't learn a single thing from mmo developement history from any of the other companies out there? yeah...

  Magnetia

Advanced Member

Joined: 11/07/11
Posts: 969

Any fool can know. The point is to understand.

4/13/12 7:59:02 PM#233

I bet ORM is working extra hard today bashing other games.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

  User Deleted
4/13/12 8:07:54 PM#234
Originally posted by Mythios11
Originally posted by RefMinor
A great disturbance in the Force. It was like a million voices crying out in laughter, then suddenly unsubbed.

LMAO!!!!  Thats gotta be the line of the week!

/agree 

+2 Awesome

  Bunks

Novice Member

Joined: 1/08/12
Posts: 987

4/13/12 8:09:08 PM#235
Originally posted by Korgborg
Originally posted by Mythios11
Originally posted by RefMinor
A great disturbance in the Force. It was like a million voices crying out in laughter, then suddenly unsubbed.

LMAO!!!!  Thats gotta be the line of the week!

/agree 

+2 Awesome

+3 its pretty much this in a nutshell

  Vorthanion

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/02/11
Posts: 1917

4/14/12 10:02:49 AM#236
Originally posted by Jason2444
Originally posted by Paithan

I gladly discuss what gone missing with Blizzards patching .. mistakes, like whole pvp levels, whole pvp pool roleback and Im not talking about the ones that where intentional when new the next tier is introduced like they do now. Whole characters gone missing , hunters losing their ability to summon a pet or autoshot. My personal favourid was 45 shadowfrost shards (shadowmourne quest, takes months to get them) gone missing granted after 2 weeks of talking to them they where refunded.

But hey if you want another mmo as excample its fine by me.

"B-b-but Blizzard fucked up, so Bioware can fuck up!"

 

Ladies and gentle, I present to you the reason why the MMO genre is the laughing stock of the industry.

No, they are not.  MMOs are by far the most complex beasts out there.  They make the most sophisticated console / single player game seem like "pong" in comparison.  We have to give them a break, because no one, not even a super computer can predict or judge how changes to such complex systems will behave or how it will adversely affect dependent systems.  Even testing will not catch it all as the test machines are not subject to the same stresses as work servers.

  Thomson

Novice Member

Joined: 9/17/06
Posts: 245

4/14/12 11:40:19 AM#237

Im in no way a TOR player, fanboy or hater.
I played the game for a few hours in beta so i can't judge it.

But with MMORPG's forum thread highlights at the frontpage i sometimes get to
read a few thread here and from the outside BW/EA seem to mess up in many ways.

Just a few things which i read

- silly bans (looting high level chests, saying you are 12 on the forums (meme))
- 25 friend invites (sounds desperate)
- lacking guild features (pre 1.2)
- illum pvp currency glitches/bug/missdesign
- no ranked warzones (where they promised with 1.2?)
- free 30 days for "worthy" players (what!!??)
- raid content cleared directly after implementation
- bad engine (? interface causes lag and so on ?)
- 1.2 bugs/downtime/problems

Again im not trying to hate the game since all my information are froum forums
and friends but i think it's sad that a game based on such a great franchise
gets so much bad feedback for whatever reasons.

There is one other thing is really dislike, people are always comparing games and
their actions to WoW, thats fine with me but people need to learn to respect
when something happened. Currently im not playing any MMORPG but i had been
playing WoW from vanilla to Naxxramas 40 and i know that they had problems
like extended downtimes and such but that is quite a fear years ago. From
what i can tell those things don't really happen too much anymore.

All in all you can expect a game like TOR to deal better with patches than WoW
did 5 years ago but don't try to justify any new game's fault by comparing
it to WoW and how it did at release. The things people expect from todays games
are different from what people expected 5 years ago and rightfully so !

  Vorthanion

Hard Core Member

Joined: 7/02/11
Posts: 1917

4/16/12 12:13:59 AM#238
Originally posted by Thomson

Im in no way a TOR player, fanboy or hater.
I played the game for a few hours in beta so i can't judge it.

But with MMORPG's forum thread highlights at the frontpage i sometimes get to
read a few thread here and from the outside BW/EA seem to mess up in many ways.

Just a few things which i read

- silly bans (looting high level chests, saying you are 12 on the forums (meme))
- 25 friend invites (sounds desperate)
- lacking guild features (pre 1.2)
- illum pvp currency glitches/bug/missdesign
- no ranked warzones (where they promised with 1.2?)
- free 30 days for "worthy" players (what!!??)
- raid content cleared directly after implementation
- bad engine (? interface causes lag and so on ?)
- 1.2 bugs/downtime/problems

Again im not trying to hate the game since all my information are froum forums
and friends but i think it's sad that a game based on such a great franchise
gets so much bad feedback for whatever reasons.

There is one other thing is really dislike, people are always comparing games and
their actions to WoW, thats fine with me but people need to learn to respect
when something happened. Currently im not playing any MMORPG but i had been
playing WoW from vanilla to Naxxramas 40 and i know that they had problems
like extended downtimes and such but that is quite a fear years ago. From
what i can tell those things don't really happen too much anymore.

All in all you can expect a game like TOR to deal better with patches than WoW
did 5 years ago but don't try to justify any new game's fault by comparing
it to WoW and how it did at release. The things people expect from todays games
are different from what people expected 5 years ago and rightfully so !

Except this is a problem current MMOs face.  EQ patches to this day can be absolutely horrendous.  The same for Age of Conan, Anarchy Online, EverQuest 2, Aion, Final Fantasy XIV, Star Trek Online, Champions Online and City of Heroes.  All games I have played on and off recently or currently and they've all had patch issues and most of them are veteran games with veteran teams.  This is very complex software and issues like this should be expected.  Considering Bioware's relative newness to the MMO scene, they've done really well compared to other companies when they first released and supported their MMOs.

12 Pages First « 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Search