Trending Games | ArcheAge | Pirate101 | Wasteland 2 | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,213 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,245,869
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » General Discussion » Seems like the game has peaked on XFire

91 Pages First « 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 » Last Search
1805 posts found
  Metentso

Spotlight Poster

4/10/12 9:36:57 AM#1561
Originally posted by RefMinor
Originally posted by Metentso
Latest figure is 3539, the peak dropped back, looks like people only gave the trial a go on the one day. Metentso, I think the figure for the 7th was 3570 ish, it wasn't much different to the day before.

Thanks Ref. Seems we will see the 3000 this week.

Not sure why but I think it will stabilise out above the 3000 until the 3month subs hit in about a week and a half. But that is just a feeling rather than based on anything specific.

Ok, you have been pretty accurate in previous predictions. We'll see.

gervaise1

Elite Member

4/10/12 10:05:06 AM#1562
Originally posted by Vrika
Originally posted by gervaise1

Generally Easter in the US is not a holiday.

SWTOR is international game and also European players are included in those numbers.

In Finland we've had 4 days of holidays, and all larger shops have been closed for Friday, Sunday and now Monday.

Same in the UK Vrika - and I think much of Europe Vrika (I had to 'adjust' when I worked in the US.) A lot of the sales were in the US however (the figures I saw suggested over 50%) and I believe it is fair to say that SW is more  prominent in the US than in the EU. Whether this accounts for the short 'blip' or not I don't know. disappointing number given the number of free trials (50M+) in addition to the free w/e - or just the law of diminishing returns from a repeated promoton?

ktanner3

Master

Trolls will be ignored

4/10/12 11:21:26 AM#1563
Latest figure is 3539, the peak dropped back, looks like people only gave the trial a go on the one day. Metentso, I think the figure for the 7th was 3570 ish, it wasn't much different to the day before.

Not sure why but I think it will stabilise out above the 3000 until the 3month subs hit in about a week and a half. But that is just a feeling rather than based on anything specific.
That's about where I think it will stabilize. There will be some slight ticks upwards when the patch comes out, but it will most likely fall back to that number.

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

4/10/12 11:28:01 AM#1564
Originally posted by ktanner3

That's about where I think it will stabilize. There will be some slight ticks upwards when the patch comes out, but it will most likely fall back to that number.

I think there will be a sharp drop (not sure how much) when the 3month subs run out as they are a popular purchase for MMOs (good balance of risk vs discount) then I think any further drop or rise will be gradual as people will have joined as individuals each day rather than en mass at launch. I think on the XFire scale it will be around 2500 (cannot connect that to actual sub numbers though) after the 30 days run out. This may be hidden a little by an inevitable free trial around that time if current marketing is any guide.
  jacklo

Novice Member

4/10/12 11:33:38 AM#1565

Call me pessimistic but judging by previous patches, 1.2 could well turn out to be the nail in the coffin rather than the saviour many are hoping for.

I just don't trust Bioware not to cock things up by introducing more bugs and exploits.

gervaise1

Elite Member

4/10/12 12:56:12 PM#1566

(snip)

I think there will be a sharp drop (not sure how much) when the 3month subs run out as they are a popular purchase for MMOs (good balance of risk vs discount) then I think any further drop or rise will be gradual as people will have joined as individuals each day rather than en mass at launch. I think on the XFire scale it will be around 2500 (cannot connect that to actual sub numbers though) after the 30 days run out. This may be hidden a little by an inevitable free trial around that time if current marketing is any guide.
Agree.
The 30 day + the "3 month" sub point is seen by many as the key point as a result of the discount on the sub etc. It will be interesting if we continue to see a drop off despite all the trials/passes.
Agree with Jacklo as well about 1.2 not, imo, offering any magic fix. Not enough new content for people not totally hooked by the SW mythos - and stuff already pushed back - whilst at the same time introducing stuff that has upset some dedicated SW fans.
Will the numbers level out?  Not sure they will. A 'solid' RPG but 'poor' mmo maybe what it comes down to. Initial retention very solid (EA spin not withstanding) but after the story driven element there isn't much. Wrong business model imo.
  RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

4/10/12 5:00:31 PM#1567

(snip)

Agree.
The 30 day + the "3 month" sub point is seen by many as the key point as a result of the discount on the sub etc. It will be interesting if we continue to see a drop off despite all the trials/passes.
Agree with Jacklo as well about 1.2 not, imo, offering any magic fix. Not enough new content for people not totally hooked by the SW mythos - and stuff already pushed back - whilst at the same time introducing stuff that has upset some dedicated SW fans.
Will the numbers level out?  Not sure they will. A 'solid' RPG but 'poor' mmo maybe what it comes down to. Initial retention very solid (EA spin not withstanding) but after the story driven element there isn't much. Wrong business model imo.

I actually think you will see a boost from 1.2, which cunningly I now notice is being released it seems round about the time the 3month subs fall due, some will add a month to check it out and some will resub for a month to check it out which will mitigate the 3month sub drop somewhat. I don't think 1.2 will retain too many as it I don't think it adds lastability for those who were already bored, it is good only for those who are still having fun.
  Metentso

Spotlight Poster

4/11/12 7:11:48 AM#1568

Started tracking Aion.  

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

4/11/12 7:32:17 AM#1569
You should start a new thread for that one otherwise it will get too confusing.
  RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

4/11/12 7:33:10 AM#1570
3329 is the latest figure.
  Metentso

Spotlight Poster

4/11/12 7:40:48 AM#1571
You should start a new thread for that one otherwise it will get too confusing.

It's just another line in the same graph, but pasting it here it's not working again :/

gervaise1

Elite Member

4/11/12 8:30:29 AM#1572

SW Kinnect number 1 game across all platforms in the UK "despite mixed reviews" - I think it offers pretty much what SWTOR offers (in some ways more, in some ways less). And you can play it for longer than 1 month before having to pay a monthly fee.

My view has always been that this will have an impact on SWTOR, whatever the reviews, because "it's Star Wars". could be wrong of course. 

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168275/Kinect_Star_Wars_becomes_first_Kinect_exclusive_to_lead_UK_sales_charts.php

gervaise1

Elite Member

4/11/12 8:49:40 AM#1573

That's a new low isn't it?

RefMinor

Novice Member

Hipster

4/11/12 8:50:40 AM#1574

SW Kinnect number 1 game across all platforms in the UK "despite mixed reviews" - I think it offers pretty much what SWTOR offers (in some ways more, in some ways less). And you can play it for longer than 1 month before having to pay a monthly fee.

My view has always been that this will have an impact on SWTOR, whatever the reviews, because "it's Star Wars". could be wrong of course. 

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168275/Kinect_Star_Wars_becomes_first_Kinect_exclusive_to_lead_UK_sales_charts.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xJqkzngBI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And somewhere just off camera a Wookie silently weeps.
  ktanner3

Master

Trolls will be ignored

4/11/12 8:52:18 AM#1575

In a lot ways less.

I don't think so. TOR plays to an entire different audience than that game does.

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

GMan3

Apprentice Member

4/11/12 8:54:12 AM#1576
Originally posted by jacklo

Call me pessimistic but judging by previous patches, 1.2 could well turn out to be the nail in the coffin rather than the saviour many are hoping for.

I just don't trust Bioware not to cock things up by introducing more bugs and exploits.

Meh.  Every game that releases new content has bugs and exploits in pretty much every patch they release.  This only becomes an issue when people WANT it to be a problem.  Everyone else rides it out and a week or two later get to see the fix.  Not a big deal.  Heck, I hated WoW, but never held this against them since it IS and industry standard.  Simple fact, no amount of testing will ever find all the problems.  Throw a few hundred thousand people into the mix though and those problems come to light pretty quick.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Metentso

Spotlight Poster

4/11/12 8:55:27 AM#1577

Yes it is.

superniceguy

Hard Core Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

4/11/12 10:17:28 AM#1578

Yes it is.

1.2 should stop it going below 3000, but for how long?  Unless servers are offline and nobody is able to play - It could hit rock bottom!

Jason2444

Apprentice Member

4/11/12 10:47:32 AM#1579
Originally posted by superniceguy

Yes it is.

1.2 should stop it going below 3000, but for how long?  Unless servers are offline and nobody is able to play - It could hit rock bottom!

Patches only retain subscribers.

Expansions bring new ones.

Basic rule of MMOs. Just depends if Bioware flubs this patch as well.

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

superniceguy

Hard Core Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

4/11/12 10:52:28 AM#1580
Originally posted by Jason2444
Originally posted by superniceguy

Yes it is.

Patches only retain subscribers.

Expansions bring new ones.

Basic rule of MMOs. Just depends if Bioware flubs this patch as well.

I do not think that rule works quite well with SWTOR because it is more of a single player game than a MMO. There is little to do at 50, and no purpose in levelling alts except to enjoy the story on another class/faction, which you can get from many single player games, like the Mass Effect series without paying a monthly fee.
91 Pages First « 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 » Last Search