Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Guild Wars 2 | Villagers and Heroes

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,251 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,102
BioWare | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 12/20/11)  | Pub:LucasArts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum » Reviews & Impressions » Why does SWTOR think it's 2004?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
56 posts found
  User Deleted
4/06/12 2:31:31 PM#41

OP failed

Celcius

Advanced Member

4/06/12 2:32:42 PM#42
Originally posted by virindi1

It was not SWG :(

User Deleted
4/06/12 2:41:04 PM#43

I'm just going by what they promises vs what they delivered.

They promised innovation (i have the dev interview where they did) they didn't deliver

They promised epic combat (where a bunch of little guys aren't tab targetting a large boss and hitting buttons over and over) they didn't deliver.

Whatever your personal issues with the game, devs who don't deliver on their promises should not receive $$

Oh and to the monsters-under-the-bridge in this thread, go somewhere else and spread misinformation about GW2, it's as old as SWTOR's 2004 design. k.thx.bye

Myria

Apprentice Member

4/06/12 3:13:07 PM#44
The original points remains though: it is 2012; SWTOR is an old, outdated, WOW clone.

Old and outdated sold 2 million boxes and, at last count, had 1.7million people paying to play.

Seriously, before declaring the death of the WoW model shouldn't people wait to actually see one of these games die -- last I checked WoW still had more subs than pretty much everything else combined, Rift was doing well enough, and ToR is chugging along despite the endless vitriol hurled at it around here -- or maybe one of these "new wave" MMOs to do something other than make a big arsed crater in the market?

Just a thought.

Nah, why do that when you can declare WoW dead and ToR going FtP any minute now?

Seriously, I don't even like the damn game, would you people stop vomiting up so much stupid that basic fairness requires defending it?

crysent

Advanced Member

4/06/12 3:16:56 PM#45

Actually the OP has a number of good points and overall a really solid post in my opinion. 

As I've said when the MMO's on the horizon are released I simply don't see ToR surviving.  The only players who will stick around are roleplayers and the family gamers.  That's fine, more power to them - but in the long haul ToR played it safe, too safe.

User Deleted
4/06/12 3:18:16 PM#46
Originally posted by Myria
The original points remains though: it is 2012; SWTOR is an old, outdated, WOW clone.

Old and outdated sold 2 million boxes and, at last count, had 1.7million people paying to play.

Let's just point out that the "count" that you pointed out was the exact same figure as the beginning of February, they just got a new guy to tell everyone in a press release because the financial director quit right after stating that number in the beginning of Feb. Second, is the fact that the number didn't change a single bit, which is impossible. It's impossible that this number didn't go UP or DOWN in two months time. So until the reveal the real numbers, i wouldn't bank on a clear propaganda technique used to help investors feel safe.

s0lidchef

Novice Member

4/06/12 3:18:28 PM#47

People seem to forget how buggy and terrible WoW was when it forst came out. WoW was a buggy EQ when it started, and SWTOR is a buggy WoW now. The reason these MMOs are so similar is because the developers take what they know works and improves on it. So STFU and talk to me when SWTOR is in it's 5th or 6th year. Guaranteed it will be a completely different game from what it is now.

crysent

Advanced Member

4/06/12 3:18:55 PM#48

Seriously, before declaring the death of the WoW model shouldn't people wait to actually see one of these games die -- last I checked WoW still had more subs than pretty much everything else combined, Rift was doing well enough, and ToR is chugging along despite the endless vitriol hurled at it around here -- or maybe one of these "new wave" MMOs to do something other than make a big arsed crater in the market?

Just a thought.

Nah, why do that when you can declare WoW dead and ToR going FtP any minute now?

Seriously, I don't even like the damn game, would you people stop vomiting up so much stupid that basic fairness requires defending it?

I keep seeing this "1.7" million subs thrown around and I find it very, very, very, very hard to believe this number is still anywhere near accurate.  I believe that number was pushed out by Bioware early on after release when everyone was trying the game out.

Box sales mean little to any seasoned mmo veteran who has seen number games sell tons of pre-orders only to be down to 3 servers a year later.

Tor won't go F2P because Bioware and the investors won't allow it.  No way, not for a year at least.  ToR will limp on throughout the summer and into fall with a consistently falling population base, Despite this the fanbase will continue to claim a 1.7 million sub base, which I just don't see - Last time I logged in my account was roughly a month ago and that number would be a huge stretch at that time even.

User Deleted
4/06/12 3:21:46 PM#49
Originally posted by s0lidchef

People seem to forget how buggy and terrible WoW was when it forst came out. WoW was a buggy EQ when it started, and SWTOR is a buggy WoW now. The reason these MMOs are so similar is because the developers take what they know works and improves on it. So STFU and talk to me when SWTOR is in it's 5th or 6th year. Guaranteed it will be a completely different game from what it is now.

that's actually just an excuse for EA/BW not learning a SINGLE thing about mmo developement or design history before releasing this game. At this point in time. and as a seasoned game developer they should have had a more streamlined approach compared to Blizzard which had never really developed a game this size before.

User Deleted
4/06/12 3:27:25 PM#50

I never liked the hero engine or the art work for this game at all. It certainly looks like a game from the year 2004. They just messed up big time but fortunately for them they used the Star Wars ip to get subscriptions. They should have just waited and worked on a Mass Effect mmo right from the start.

Creslin321

Spotlight Poster

4/06/12 3:29:08 PM#51
Originally posted by BadSpock

Short answer - they started making the game in 2006 and by the time the "trends" in MMORPG's actually started changing (maybe late 2008 early 2009) they had already invested too much in the design to up and completely change it?

They said in 2008 when announced that they had something like 12 full time writers working on the game since 2006, which tells me the plan/design for the game was pretty much finalized by then.

This is true, but I don't really think it excuses anything.  Fighting "yesterday's war" is a terrible strategy in almost any endeavor.  Game devs know that it's going to take years to come up with a game, so they really have to plan for that.

When it's 2006, you can't start development of a game that every player in 2006 is going to love...that's dumb, because hen your game comes out it may be 2011 :).  Instead, you have to think ahead, that's what most successful games do.  WoW was successful because it offered something different and superior to just about every game out there.  Yes, I know WoW took features from lots of different games, but the point is that there was NEVER one single game out before WoW that offered EVERYTHING that WoW does.

If WoW had just completely cloned EQ, AO, or DAoC...then it would not have been nearly as succesful.  You can't design your game for the year that you start development.  You have to design your game for the year that you finish development.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

mcburly

Novice Member

4/06/12 3:32:19 PM#52

Just a thought.

at least some people seem to have a little common sense. I barely come here and post on these forums cause its just a terrible community of people who cant stick with a game and just bash games endlessly while proclaiming the next mmo thats coming out to be the "gamechanger" (GW2 being the unfortunate one claiming this title now). A month after that game comes out this site will be filled with hate posts about how "fail" GW2 is.

The reality is SWTOR is doing pretty well, GW2 willl do pretty well. If you constantly have to come here and predict or say a game is fail, it must be because you need to reassure yourself of it. Peace out

ktanner3

Master

Trolls will be ignored

4/07/12 10:33:12 AM#53
Originally posted by mcburly

Just a thought.

at least some people seem to have a little common sense. I barely come here and post on these forums cause its just a terrible community of people who cant stick with a game and just bash games endlessly while proclaiming the next mmo thats coming out to be the "gamechanger" (GW2 being the unfortunate one claiming this title now). A month after that game comes out this site will be filled with hate posts about how "fail" GW2 is.

The reality is SWTOR is doing pretty well, GW2 willl do pretty well. If you constantly have to come here and predict or say a game is fail, it must be because you need to reassure yourself of it. Peace out

Props to the both of you. Well said.

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

fundayz

Spotlight Poster

4/07/12 3:02:48 PM#54
Originally posted by mcburly

I don't know about you, but I don't consider a game where people are leaving because the servers are ghosts towns to be "doing pretty well".

Whatever momentum SWTOR has is simply leftover hype from pre-launch. SWTOR may have sold a lot of boxes but that doesn't mean anything if they can't keep those players (which it is not).

SWTOR is a complete repeat of WAR: Huge hype, strong release, crash and burn after a couple of months.

FrodoFragins

Hard Core Member

4/07/12 3:08:55 PM#55

1) Poor priorities

2) Publisher not willing to wait for the game to be ready for the market

The game will be closer to ready after Patch 1.2, but even that is not really where it needed to be.  There's still time for them to add the necessary features, but the longer it takes the fewer people that have left will be willing to return.

I'm still pretty sure I'll return at some point.  I just haven't read anything that will even tempt me a little bit.  My guess is they are atleast a year away from adding multiplayer space sim content which would be something to get me back.

unclemo

Advanced Member

4/07/12 3:36:53 PM#56

OP's post is dead on!

I can't wait for the next generation of MMO's.

In the mean time I am loving Entropia Universe.  Shamless plug sorry.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search