Trending Games | Moonrise | Elder Scrolls Online | Pirate101 | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,553 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,269,909
Star Vault | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/09/10)  | Pub:Star Vault
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Mortal Online Forum » General Discussion » 2014 game impressions video - tl;dw: game is great

8 posts found
  lalartu

Novice Member

OP  7/10/14 6:51:09 AM#1

Hi,

I decided to give MO another go after 2 years and man, did they improve it a lot! it's sooo much more fun now

Check out the video I made while exploring it:

part 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdvlHxs-IuY

part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03i6hUAqyVY

my Gaming Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/lalartu

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

Pluro

Novice Member

7/10/14 11:58:00 AM#2

Yeah there balancing for PvP is hopefully on a better track than before.

Sadly it just falls short of content after awhile which should be addressed.

Though TC (territory control) patch is coming, and hopefully that brings some nice content.

But I enjoyed your video keep up the good work!

deathshroud

Novice Member

7/11/14 2:06:15 AM#3
Originally posted by lalartu

Hi,

I decided to give MO another go after 2 years and man, did they improve it a lot! it's sooo much more fun now

Check out the video I made while exploring it:

part 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdvlHxs-IuY

part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03i6hUAqyVY

sounds to me like you played it for a few weeks quit then came back and this time found the tutorial and tindrem helpful enough to get into the game.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Caldrin

Hard Core Member

7/11/14 2:32:22 AM#4
SV are not the best company i must admit but they are slowly updating the game and it is getting better... still I dont think they will every be able to get past that failed launch and sadly people will always remember that and enver give it another go.

My 3D models
http://dragon3d.webs.com/

DMKano

Elite Member

7/11/14 4:35:46 AM#5

Umm I respectfully disagree.

I think it's still a terrible game as a whole.

MO has the same issue as Xyson.

Both games have great *features* BUT all those great features do NOT make a great *game*

That's the issue - this is what I've been telling so many posters here who think about MMORPGs in terms of features - and think "if game devs just take the best features from 10 different MMOs - we would have the best game ever!"

It doesnt' work like that at all.

Case in point - you can have the best features and still have a terrible game.

Slapshot1188

Elite Member

7/11/14 6:37:39 AM#6
Originally posted by Caldrin
SV are not the best company i must admit but they are slowly updating the game and it is getting better... still I dont think they will every be able to get past that failed launch and sadly people will always remember that and enver give it another go.

If it hasn't happened by now (4 years after launch) it is highly unlikely to ever happen...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

deathshroud

Novice Member

7/11/14 10:18:38 AM#7
Originally posted by DMKano

Umm I respectfully disagree.

I think it's still a terrible game as a whole.

MO has the same issue as Xyson.

Both games have great *features* BUT all those great features do NOT make a great *game*

That's the issue - this is what I've been telling so many posters here who think about MMORPGs in terms of features - and think "if game devs just take the best features from 10 different MMOs - we would have the best game ever!"

It doesnt' work like that at all.

Case in point - you can have the best features and still have a terrible game.

For me its the implementation of those features that falls short, they have fishing but it has no real purpose in the economy, they have alchemy but its just ugly ui boxes with very few different types of potion. The areas of the game they fleshed out bugs aside work really well but there are to many features that are complex to understand but the overall output of what you can achieve is very basic. If every feature in MO was as thoughtful as its extraction system then the game would be far better. Also if the ui was more theme based instead of generic

At this point they are adding new content but it just reuses old tired textures and re-hashed models, they need a large money injection or the games just going to go stale

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Toferio

Novice Member

7/15/14 2:32:14 AM#8

>One minute in: This is so cool, I might actually start playing again since the game is so much better

>All he's seen is graphics on some trees.

Yeah, sorry OP but I'll remain skeptic to your impression as your standards seem to go only as far as pretty graphics.. I mean, screw that the game mechanics are buggy and balance is broken, we have pretty textures! But hey, while we're talking graphics, why do those trees look like they have light bulbs in each leaf? I'm glad they went away with pitch black nights, but that's a bit ridiculous. 

You can't judge that the "game is great" from having played only the intro for an hour without touching PvP, sieging, housing, etc.. You know, all those important features players spend 90% pf their time on once they are past the first week of learning the game, and where the real issues show up. I mean, when you get to the graveyard, first thing you see is a guy swinging at skeleton with literally no effect. He doesn't hit, he doesn't get attacked back..

Here is a reply on s similar topic from a more experienced member, who states: "Looks nicer, and the menus don't freeze up anymore. But oh man the bugs, and the performance issues". The main problems remain, an you won't see them in first hour of gameplay. 

However, it does seems that the starting experience has vastly improved, the starting skill set is a nice touch. When I started playing MO a while back, all that happened was that you got dropped nearby a town and told "go do stuff". I might actually give it another try outta sheer curiosity in a bit.