Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Star Wars: The Old Republic | EverQuest | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,901,093 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,271,443
Star Vault | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/09/10)  | Pub:Star Vault
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Mortal Online Forum » General Discussion » Mortal Online Greenlit on steam 8/28

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
32 posts found
  nerovipus32

Novice Member

9/01/13 2:30:56 PM#21
Originally posted by Jacxolope
Originally posted by nerovipus32
Originally posted by Talonsin
After a small influx of players and then their sudden exit, what will the excuse be for why this game has only been able to attract 1500 subbers across the entire planet?

They are a small indie company give them a break.

A small "Indie company" whit the highest priced sub of any AAA MMO. Indie company is fine (and I love indies) but look at the single player indies out there...They usually are FAR below AAA games concerning price since they have less overhead, less employees, less budget.

Bugs and incompetence are far more excusable when I am not paying the same price (or more) as a AAA title. I look at some great indie games out there and they are prices far less than , say, Skyrim.

With the few employees SV has (the excuse they always use) the reality would be they can operate onb far less money- This is publicly traded company on the stock exchange, charges the highest sub I have seen in an MMO, asks for donations and only has a few employees to pay.

-If we are going to continue to flaunt the "small team" excuse, lets start flaunting the LOWER THE PRICE  common sense move- because a small team does not require the same pay as a "large team"- Perhaps then all the bugs and mistakes can be forgiven a bit more.

Well obviously people who sub to the game want to support it, nobody is holding a gun to your head and telling you to sub.

Jacxolope

Apprentice Member

9/01/13 2:38:31 PM#22
Originally posted by Jacxolope
After a small influx of players and then their sudden exit, what will the excuse be for why this game has only been able to attract 1500 subbers across the entire planet?

A small "Indie company" whit the highest priced sub of any AAA MMO. Indie company is fine (and I love indies) but look at the single player indies out there...They usually are FAR below AAA games concerning price since they have less overhead, less employees, less budget.

Bugs and incompetence are far more excusable when I am not paying the same price (or more) as a AAA title. I look at some great indie games out there and they are prices far less than , say, Skyrim.

With the few employees SV has (the excuse they always use) the reality would be they can operate onb far less money- This is publicly traded company on the stock exchange, charges the highest sub I have seen in an MMO, asks for donations and only has a few employees to pay.

-If we are going to continue to flaunt the "small team" excuse, lets start flaunting the LOWER THE PRICE  common sense move- because a small team does not require the same pay as a "large team"- Perhaps then all the bugs and mistakes can be forgiven a bit more.

Well obviously people who sub to the game want to support it, nobody is holding a gun to your head and telling you to sub.

-Agreed, and I wouldnt give them money with YOUR credit card =P

-But when the 'small team" excuse and "indie company" excuse keeps being thrown around concerning SV's inability to make their systems work or  finish things in a timely manner (or at all)- It need to be brought up. Small team is fine and I play some fantastic indies- But indie and a small team should translate to lower cost(s).

-If the excuse is always small team- Then hire more people or drop the sub price to reflect only having a few employees to pay.

EDIT- Also note that I rarely see "indie" companies traded on the stock market  and I have never seen a publicly traded company ask for donations for their FOR PROFIT ventures...Not have I ever seen a game in such a state after 3+ years... And with all the staffing cuts I dont think things are going to be fixed anytime in my lifetime...But heaven frbit the sub price reflects the operating costs.

Slapshot1188

Hard Core Member

9/01/13 4:47:40 PM#23
Originally posted by deathshroud 

The worst thing SV has done was auto subscribe players from beta

I dont know, I think that NOT SHIPPING functional discs to people who bought the boxed game was a pretty bad move.  They were supposed to not only get the discs but also ALL UPDATES freely shipped on disc.  I'd say that blatant failure to deliver what they sold was worse, but I admit the auto subscription of people was close.  Kind of like splitting hairs.

It will be interesting to see how their Steam launch goes.  DF:UW was a much more popular game, got through Greenight instantly but as far as I can tell their Steam player base was really small.  Since MO is free to try, they likely won't be part of the deaily or weekly deals so I'm not sure they would get much more exposure than they currently got through their Greenlight campaign.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Toferio

Novice Member

9/01/13 5:06:07 PM#24

No, they do not get any break, being indie is not an excuse. Minecraft was made by one guy. EvE was made by an indie company but got its shit together. I could go on. If they charge as for a AAA mmo (not to mention the charity donations), they should deliver a AAA mmo. 

indef

Novice Member

9/01/13 5:10:53 PM#25
Originally posted by Toferio
Awesome, it will be truly interesting to monitor how the game will change and if the influx of new players will remain in the game. I'm placing the bets on them not remaining for too long, because the game is still shit and the servers will probably crash in couple of hours.

Darkfall Unholy wars got greenlit almost a year ago now and we all thought it'd be the saving grace of Darkfall.

Darkfall Unholy wars launched with approximately 9 times less sales then the original game.  When the steam client launched, less than 500 people purchased the game before a half-off weekend months later.  Even then, only 300-400 people bought it at half off.

Since then, the population of the game has been rapidly declining with almost no new steam sales.

What do Darkfall Unholy Wars and Mortal Online both have in common?  They are both shit games made by shit developers.

I played Darkfall 1 for 3 years (launch till server shutdown) and Mortal Online never came close to what DF1 was.

Sorry all but MO is soon to be no more.

EDIT: Here's the proof http://steamcharts.com/app/227400#1y

The little influx around July was the half off weekend.

niceguy3978

Advanced Member

9/01/13 5:20:56 PM#26
Originally posted by indef
Awesome, it will be truly interesting to monitor how the game will change and if the influx of new players will remain in the game. I'm placing the bets on them not remaining for too long, because the game is still shit and the servers will probably crash in couple of hours.

Darkfall Unholy wars got greenlit almost a year ago now and we all thought it'd be the saving grace of Darkfall.

Darkfall Unholy wars launched with approximately 9 times less sales then the original game.  When the steam client launched, less than 500 people purchased the game before a half-off weekend months later.  Even then, only 300-400 people bought it at half off.

Since then, the population of the game has been rapidly declining with almost no new steam sales.

What do Darkfall Unholy Wars and Mortal Online both have in common?  They are both shit games made by shit developers.

I played Darkfall 1 for 3 years (launch till server shutdown) and Mortal Online never came close to what DF1 was.

EDIT: Here's the proof http://steamcharts.com/app/227400#1y

The little influx around July was the half off weekend.

That isn't sales that's how many logged in through steam.  I bought rift through steam and never logged in through steam, just got my game key and went through the main game site.  

ste2000

Apprentice Member

9/01/13 5:22:10 PM#27
Originally posted by lizardbones

I'm not as speechless as I was when I heard about Ben Affleck playing Batman, but I'm pretty speechless.

Yeah, I checked the calendar to make sure it wasn't the 1st of April...............

wmada2k

Novice Member

9/02/13 4:02:09 AM#28

OT

If I would get a buck for each time ive read that I would be wealthy today! =)

MO > DF1 = MO is still around! 

And DF:UW, as you stated released with less than 9 times than DF1, will soon to be gone!

So, to rephrase it: DF:UW is soon to be no more but MO will! =)

On topic again

Personally I think it will do good for MO. Launcher will be goo and changes/polishing the game and add more content will do good!

Time will tell, but I'm glad they are greenlit! 

Toferio

Novice Member

9/02/13 5:38:53 AM#29
Originally posted by wmada2k

MO > DF1 = MO is still around! 

And DF:UW, as you stated released with less than 9 times than DF1, will soon to be gone!

So, to rephrase it: DF:UW is soon to be no more but MO will! =)

Comparing MO to DF1 and saying "MO is still around" is really backwards logic. DF:UW is a direct evolution of the original game, so it can be argued that Aventurine continue improving their game while MO is still stuck in its original beta version. To roll along with your logic, I could compare the forum numbers (that Henrik boasts so much about) and note that DF has both more registered users and currently online users, thus it is illogical to claim DF:UW will soon be no more compared to MO. Then again, it doesn't really matter as both games are crap =)

kalemar

Novice Member

9/03/13 3:19:13 AM#30

MO vs DF:X is a matter of opinion. Both MO and DF have pros and cons. Why many people contributing to this forum are hung up on the death of a game is beyond me. The people wasting their time reading up on a game they don't like looking for some sadistic humour seems rather silly too. If you like MO, play it, if you like DF play that. I don't see anyone putting up any alternatives which are better and have similar features. 

Yes SV definitely shows it is struggling and MO has flaws (can't speak for DF as I've not played it). We have 3 pages of that even though it seems to be mostly from a few individuals.

The thing is MO has subscribers and they happily pay the money. Others happily donate because they see MO as unique. Is that right, probably not but they do it because they don't want MO to die and are showing that with their personal funds.

There are very few games to compare MO and DF to as they are quite unique. There are hundreds of themepark style MMOS but very few true sandbox games. 

I wish both these games and all upcoming sandbox titles all the best. Until something better comes along I'll be playing MO and subscribing. 

Salenger

Novice Member

The true character of a man can be seen when they are given power.

9/08/13 12:53:55 AM#31

Probably the funniest thing i have read all day, and definitely true!.

I played DF 1 as well for 3 years...but couldnt play UW for more than a month and a half game just sucks.

Mortal Online i tried to enjoy but just way to many bugs, concept was there but...just not smooth at all...by any means.

One thing for sure is that I will never give StarVault or Aventurine another dime, not unless DF1 comes back lol, which will never happen.

DFUW will be free to play by the end of the year.  Or shutdown.

User Deleted
9/09/13 11:18:06 PM#32
So how long will it take SV to get the client "steam compliant"?  lol 
2 Pages « 1 2 Search