Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,680 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,408
Star Vault | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/09/10)  | Pub:Star Vault
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Mortal Online Forum » General Discussion » Is this game friendly to new players?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
26 posts found
  argirop

Advanced Member

2/02/13 4:10:52 AM#21
Originally posted by Lahuzer
I would argue that most peeps that quit MO do it due to the nature of the game. Most gamers CAN'T handle loosing everything upon death. I've seen so many QQ-threads about this in MO forums, when people say why they are leaving MO. Sure some have left due to the buggy state as well. But more has left due to the "hardcoreness" of the game. At least if I have to go on the byebye-threads on the forums. MO sure ain't for every1, but some that can bite the bullet and come back from being ganked, and dig deeper into the game, might also fall in love cause there is no other game out there like MO right now. I would advice any1 to test it for free, and not listen to much to the dedicated haters or fanbois here. Make up your own freaking mind. ;)

The overwhelming majority who came, saw and left MO was due to several reasons. Mostly a combination of poor state of the game, ridiculously slow developement, patches that where bringing the game in an unplayable state for months and months after they went live (with unexpected and unwarned downtimes, removal of features that in many times never made it back into the game etc etc) broken promisses, constant lies, amateur staff right from the playerbase that was constantly griefing paying customers since day one and untill this moment and many many more issues that has being discussed over and over again and yet they remain unresolved. 

Now if you wanna simply say that the "hardcoreness" -your own word- of the game is the reason that from 10ths of thousands that bought or tried the game only a few dozen still play it or if your mentality allows you to even believe so, its absolutely fine by me. But have in mind that the average gamer aint 3 years old, so your argument is laughable to put it in a civil manner.

Slapshot1188

Elite Member

2/02/13 9:16:55 AM#22
I would argue that most peeps that quit MO do it due to the nature of the game. Most gamers CAN'T handle loosing everything upon death. I've seen so many QQ-threads about this in MO forums, when people say why they are leaving MO. Sure some have left due to the buggy state as well. But more has left due to the "hardcoreness" of the game. At least if I have to go on the byebye-threads on the forums. MO sure ain't for every1, but some that can bite the bullet and come back from being ganked, and dig deeper into the game, might also fall in love cause there is no other game out there like MO right now. I would advice any1 to test it for free, and not listen to much to the dedicated haters or fanbois here. Make up your own freaking mind. ;)

You would be arguing your opinion... and you are entitled to that.  I would counter with MY opinion that while some people certainly left due to full loot.  Most left because the game is not fun, the company is bad, or the game doesn't run well (if at all).

So we can argue back and forth on that, but what is NOT in dispute is that the OVERWHELMING majority of people who try the game quit playing.  Something to the order of 98 or 99 percent.   That should tell ANYONE somethng about the game...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

User Deleted
2/02/13 11:02:49 AM#23
Originally posted by Slapshot1188
So we can argue back and forth on that, but what is NOT in dispute is that the OVERWHELMING majority of people who try the game quit playing.  Something to the order of 98 or 99 percent.   That should tell ANYONE somethng about the game...

While not sitting in anyones boat here, where did you get these numbers from? Just curious...

@Lahuzer

You mentioned "bye-bye threads on the forums". What forums? Surely not MO-forum since those threads are usually deleted (! nothing wrong with closing a thread but deleting w/o leaving a comment just stinks) very soon as well as many other threads that could be slightly considered unfavourable for the company (though they are not always consequent in doing so since there's still a lot of criticism left in their forum). And that's not wild guessing, I participated in some of these threads and some of them where miles away from trolling or flaming. But watch out for yourself, sooner or later you'll know what I'm talking about.

If people want my money they need to earn my trust in the first place.

Slapshot1188

Elite Member

2/02/13 4:16:10 PM#24
Originally posted by picommander
Originally posted by Slapshot1188

While not sitting in anyones boat here, where did you get these numbers from? Just curious...

@Lahuzer

You mentioned "bye-bye threads on the forums". What forums? Surely not MO-forum since those threads are usually deleted (! nothing wrong with closing a thread but deleting w/o leaving a comment just stinks) very soon as well as many other threads that could be slightly considered unfavourable for the company (though they are not always consequent in doing so since there's still a lot of criticism left in their forum). And that's not wild guessing, I participated in some of these threads and some of them where miles away from trolling or flaming. But watch out for yourself, sooner or later you'll know what I'm talking about.

If people want my money they need to earn my trust in the first place.

The numbers are based on concept that they sold tens of thousands of copies of the game.  This is proven by looking at the financials.  Then tens of thousands more through the trial and now free to play.  I think 100k is fairly safe bet of the total that tried the game.  Heck, in their financial report of November they bragged that they had 188k "unique forum accounts".  Since then they went F2P.. so that number should be even higher.

Even if only 1/2 those folks tried the game it would be 100k... so again.. I think that is a safe estimate.

How many subs? 1-2k last we heard.  That is 1-2%.. meaning 98-99% are not subbed.  If you want to twist my arm to be ultra-conservative I'll give you 97%...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Lahuzer

Advanced Member

Sit on my face and tell me that you love me...

2/02/13 4:59:33 PM#25
I won't argue that more peeps has left the game, then people have stayed. And most people come from a themeparkish background and is chocked when they have a taste of a full loot game, that is also being developed by a small company like SV, and MO being their first title, it sure has been a bumpy ride to say the least. But for one that been there from the start, the game has gotten alot better, and SV rly listens alot to their playerbase when it comes to fixing the game, and lately the bug fixing patches has been plenty and regulary. And the F2P model sure has brought alot of new peeps into the game, and since the game is in a better state now compared to when it launched, those numbers of yours Slappy will go up, and more will stay. But they will keep on losing those themepark players that just won't have it to loose everything they have on them upon death. MO will never be a big MMO title. Or make millions. I think SV will be happy to get enough cash to be able to keep developing the game of their dreams. An it can be a good game for those that want what it offers and can see pass the bugs and the steap learning curve of the game.
  User Deleted
2/02/13 6:49:49 PM#26
I won't argue that more peeps has left the game, then people have stayed. And most people come from a themeparkish background and is chocked when they have a taste of a full loot game, that is also being developed by a small company like SV, and MO being their first title, it sure has been a bumpy ride to say the least.

Somehow I doubt this though I can only speak for myself of course. Indeed I didn't know that it's such a small company but on everything else I was quite aware of. I had this game on my radar almost from the beginning but never dared playing it in this (well known) state. The change to F2P was a welcome opportunity to check it out without any risk of losing money. I jumped in not because rather than despite its full loot pvp. To my own surprise I even liked the thrill of the possible threat from being pk'ed at any time. But in the first place I liked some parts of MO that are (where) truely unique for modern MMOs, mainly its (for an old school player like me) extremely appealing mix of hardcore, oldschool, dense immersion with modern graphics.

When I started there was still dark night even in towns. This is so rare these days that I was completely sold, even though some really ugly visual bugs destroyed large parts of its awesome immersion to me. The biggest disappointment came to me when they removed real darkness (at least in towns) due to some player complaints. I understand the devs in this point but the disappointment was too big.

This game has just too many problems that I'm not all able to swallow. The technical problems are one thing, the player base which is mainly build by your typical PVP focused audience pressing towards flat arena like PVP is the other side of the coin. In this certain case I consider the attribute "player driven" as the possibly worst thing that could happen to MO rather than an outstanding cachet.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search