Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,644 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,317,231
Star Vault | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 06/09/10)  | Pub:Star Vault
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Mortal Online Forum » General Discussion » Massively.com - First impressions on Mortal Online

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
57 posts found
  Toferio

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/26/09
Posts: 1461

10/07/12 1:58:16 PM#41
Originally posted by Hurvart
Originally posted by YojimboBimbo
 

a sandbox does not have to be tedious...That is horrible thinking.  Any game should definitely not be clunky...Archage is a sandbox that looks very well polished and thought out.  

I swear, you MO players talk like battered wives that don't think they deserve better.  

If it is a bit retro and oldschool there should be no handholding. A new player should have to spend some time learning how to play and to figure out what to do.

I can certainly recognize there are problems. But expecting a streamlined action game with quest content that is easy to start playing is a mistake, IMO. It will not feel tedious if you like that type of game design. Only modern players that expect hand holding and that dont want to "waste" time will think its tedious.

I think the guy playing in the video prefer other games. More like WoW if we talk about action, pace and quests. This game is not only a sandbox. It is a retro sandbox, IMO.

You mean retro like having a huge arrow in the middle of the screen for next objective like MO has? There is nothing retro about bad newbie player experience. 

  Hurvart

Novice Member

Joined: 11/02/10
Posts: 566

10/07/12 2:13:48 PM#42
Originally posted by Toferio
Originally posted by Hurvart
Originally posted by YojimboBimbo
 

a sandbox does not have to be tedious...That is horrible thinking.  Any game should definitely not be clunky...Archage is a sandbox that looks very well polished and thought out.  

I swear, you MO players talk like battered wives that don't think they deserve better.  

If it is a bit retro and oldschool there should be no handholding. A new player should have to spend some time learning how to play and to figure out what to do.

I can certainly recognize there are problems. But expecting a streamlined action game with quest content that is easy to start playing is a mistake, IMO. It will not feel tedious if you like that type of game design. Only modern players that expect hand holding and that dont want to "waste" time will think its tedious.

I think the guy playing in the video prefer other games. More like WoW if we talk about action, pace and quests. This game is not only a sandbox. It is a retro sandbox, IMO.

You mean retro like having a huge arrow in the middle of the screen for next objective like MO has? There is nothing retro about bad newbie player experience. 

I can agree. The arrow should not be there. At all. The player should have to talk to all NPC:s to try to find the ones that have quests. And have to figure out how to answer the npc to get the quest. And after that figure out how to do the quest and where to go. This can be difficult for a new player. But it is very rewarding long term, IMO. It will make the game feel more like a virtual world. Not like you are on rails... I think that is a good experience when I start playing a new game.

I can understand why others would complain. But I like it.

  YojimboBimbo

Novice Member

Joined: 9/25/12
Posts: 174

10/07/12 2:17:20 PM#43
Originally posted by Toferio
Originally posted by Hurvart
Originally posted by YojimboBimbo
 

a sandbox does not have to be tedious...That is horrible thinking.  Any game should definitely not be clunky...Archage is a sandbox that looks very well polished and thought out.  

I swear, you MO players talk like battered wives that don't think they deserve better.  

If it is a bit retro and oldschool there should be no handholding. A new player should have to spend some time learning how to play and to figure out what to do.

I can certainly recognize there are problems. But expecting a streamlined action game with quest content that is easy to start playing is a mistake, IMO. It will not feel tedious if you like that type of game design. Only modern players that expect hand holding and that dont want to "waste" time will think its tedious.

I think the guy playing in the video prefer other games. More like WoW if we talk about action, pace and quests. This game is not only a sandbox. It is a retro sandbox, IMO.

You mean retro like having a huge arrow in the middle of the screen for next objective like MO has? There is nothing retro about bad newbie player experience. 

they are bullying the reviewer now.  not being so nice any more now.

  raff01

Novice Member

Joined: 7/06/10
Posts: 524

10/07/12 2:29:46 PM#44
Anyone notice the dialog box with "You have TAKE damage" ...fail english grammar
  Hancakes

Novice Member

Joined: 2/06/11
Posts: 1106

10/07/12 3:00:38 PM#45

Even the MO players think he got preferential treatment. 
 

"Seemed pretty straight forward, told it like it was imo. Good job Beau. Though your experience was alil softened due to who you were. Despite that, was a good read."



"everyone put on the dog and pony show before the review. Now that it is done, prepare to see the true MO community! lol"

 

 

 

(Largest MO guildleader) ~We actually did our best to contact this guy. We had a few people message him on here and just before we went out to a large fight we again tried to get him to come with us.

All to no avail.

Beau response ~I tried to add you to my friends list, several times. It didn't work. I received two or three "X wants to add you as a friend" and so I accepted. I looked ta my friends list, and there was no one on it.

  YojimboBimbo

Novice Member

Joined: 9/25/12
Posts: 174

10/07/12 3:14:51 PM#46
yea, they are not happy with him now.  
  Biskop

Novice Member

Joined: 10/06/11
Posts: 731

10/07/12 3:29:32 PM#47

Funny how they (the players, that is) blame him for not accepting all the VIP treatment they tried to throw his way - as if it's his responsibility to portray the game from the brightest possible angle and somehow experience the "real" game in a week's time. Some really hurting butts over there right now, that's for sure. "We held out a hand to you... to no avail" Just LOL.

He made it clear from the start that the whole thing was not a review but an impression piece, and that his goal is not to cover the full depth of the game but rather sample it in the same way a new player would.

It's not like the average gamer who tries MO for the first time gets PMs from the major guilds begging him to come PvP with them, or have devs bumping their trial accounts, or people trying to please them by writing long forum posts detailing MO's awesome features (all hidden somewhere behind the mountains of bugs and tedious/boring/unfinished crap)...

I think the diehard fans just can't get over the fact that most people find MO lacking in many ways, and so they blame the player rather than the game. Fanboys will be fanboys.

  YojimboBimbo

Novice Member

Joined: 9/25/12
Posts: 174

10/07/12 3:56:10 PM#48
Originally posted by Biskop

Funny how they (the players, that is) blame him for not accepting all the VIP treatment they tried to throw his way - as if it's his responsibility to portray the game from the brightest possible angle and somehow experience the "real" game in a week's time. Some really hurting butts over there right now, that's for sure. "We held out a hand to you... to no avail" Just LOL.

He made it clear from the start that the whole thing was not a review but an impression piece, and that his goal is not to cover the full depth of the game but rather sample it in the same way a new player would.

It's not like the average gamer who tries MO for the first time gets PMs from the major guilds begging him to come PvP with them, or have devs bumping their trial accounts, or people trying to please them by writing long forum posts detailing MO's awesome features (all hidden somewhere behind the mountains of bugs and tedious/boring/unfinished crap)...

I think the diehard fans just can't get over the fact that most people find MO lacking in many ways, and so they blame the player rather than the game. Fanboys will be fanboys.

Very true.  Mortal has some of the biggest fanboys over there.  You would think they own stock.  

  FastSloth

Novice Member

Joined: 6/11/12
Posts: 144

 
OP  10/07/12 5:09:54 PM#49

I love how they insult him and call him a noob. That's much closer to the real noob experience already.

 

Beau did a very good first impressions stream on Wurm Online recently (without the dog and ponies show because Wurm isn't as pathetic as Mortal). But apparently "he should just go back to WoW". :D

 

He really went soft on SV but it was not enough. XD ("He only pointed out 85% bad and 15% good things".. lol. That's not even close to how it really is then, 100% shit.)

  Hancakes

Novice Member

Joined: 2/06/11
Posts: 1106

10/07/12 7:08:55 PM#50
What are te MO fanboys crying about?...  I think the piece was overly generous,
  OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/31/12
Posts: 646

10/07/12 7:16:25 PM#51
Originally posted by YojimboBimbo
Originally posted by Biskop

Funny how they (the players, that is) blame him for not accepting all the VIP treatment they tried to throw his way - as if it's his responsibility to portray the game from the brightest possible angle and somehow experience the "real" game in a week's time. Some really hurting butts over there right now, that's for sure. "We held out a hand to you... to no avail" Just LOL.

He made it clear from the start that the whole thing was not a review but an impression piece, and that his goal is not to cover the full depth of the game but rather sample it in the same way a new player would.

It's not like the average gamer who tries MO for the first time gets PMs from the major guilds begging him to come PvP with them, or have devs bumping their trial accounts, or people trying to please them by writing long forum posts detailing MO's awesome features (all hidden somewhere behind the mountains of bugs and tedious/boring/unfinished crap)...

I think the diehard fans just can't get over the fact that most people find MO lacking in many ways, and so they blame the player rather than the game. Fanboys will be fanboys.

Very true.  Mortal has some of the biggest fanboys over there.  You would think they own stock.  

Most of them are Henricks IRL friends, suck-ups hoping to be his freind,  or Henrick's alts, so most of them probably do own stock. And considering how much MO stock is actually worth ( nothing ) they'll do their best to try to get suckers to come in and pay money so that they might see a $0.01 increase in value. lol

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

  Hancakes

Novice Member

Joined: 2/06/11
Posts: 1106

10/07/12 7:29:50 PM#52
Originally posted by OG_Zorvan 
And considering how much MO stock is actually worth ( nothing ) they'll do their best to try to get suckers to come in and pay money so that they might see a $0.01 increase in value. lol

That  $0.01 would actually double the stocks value. 

  Hancakes

Novice Member

Joined: 2/06/11
Posts: 1106

10/07/12 7:40:15 PM#53

Now the fanbots are saying he wasn't playing MO correctly.  

"I offered you a chance to experience this game as it should be experienced."

"Your entire attitude makes me even question you as a reviewer, refusing to actually play a game how it should be played"

  How desperate can they get?

  Wendetta

Novice Member

Joined: 9/20/12
Posts: 33

I have been in a Banned.

10/07/12 9:30:37 PM#54
Originally posted by deathshroud
 

dont see an issue personally with journalists being given free accounts for viewing the game. its coomon practise. although that free acconut should expire once their time spent reviewing is over.

 

That is hardly a bribe, considering its actually more hardwork than its worth simply playing the game anyway.

 

 

 

Proud Member of the A.F-D-A. [Anti Fanboy-Defense-Army]Association for a Better Tomorrow or [A.F-D-A.]AfaBT, in short.

  SHOE788

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/02/10
Posts: 715

10/09/12 5:01:54 PM#55
Originally posted by Hancakes

Now the fanbots are saying he wasn't playing MO correctly.  

"I offered you a chance to experience this game as it should be experienced."

"Your entire attitude makes me even question you as a reviewer, refusing to actually play a game how it should be played"

  How desperate can they get?

"refusing to actually play a game how it should be played"

I thought MO was a sandbox? BK have it your way?

  OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/31/12
Posts: 646

10/09/12 5:17:42 PM#56
Originally posted by SHOE788
Originally posted by Hancakes

Now the fanbots are saying he wasn't playing MO correctly.  

"I offered you a chance to experience this game as it should be experienced."

"Your entire attitude makes me even question you as a reviewer, refusing to actually play a game how it should be played"

  How desperate can they get?

"refusing to actually play a game how it should be played"

I thought MO was a sandbox? BK have it your way?

No, no. You misunderstood.

They said LITTERbox, not sandbox.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

  Hancakes

Novice Member

Joined: 2/06/11
Posts: 1106

10/13/12 10:23:12 AM#57
Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
Originally posted by SHOE788
Originally posted by Hancakes

Now the fanbots are saying he wasn't playing MO correctly.  

"I offered you a chance to experience this game as it should be experienced."

"Your entire attitude makes me even question you as a reviewer, refusing to actually play a game how it should be played"

  How desperate can they get?

"refusing to actually play a game how it should be played"

I thought MO was a sandbox? BK have it your way?

No, no. You misunderstood.

They said LITTERbox, not sandbox.

Funny you say that http://www.mmorpg.com/photo/7ba938d6-94d5-49c7-9d0e-3937a223bc9f

 

Online SV woudl waste time adding poop and urine to a game.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search