Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Firefall | ArcheAge | H1Z1

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,990 Users Online:0
Games:733  Posts:6,226,485
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » Perpetual Studios Version Discussion » A possible Explanation of why Romulans, Klingons, and others will not be playable at first

19 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  10/08/05 4:42:04 PM#1

STO will be taken place around 20 years (unoffically hinted be DEvs) or "sometime" after Nemesis (as offically stated)

If it will be 20 years after (which makes sense since the DEVs alongside Rick Berman will be designing other ships not available in Canon) then in theory there is an explanation why the above races will not be accessible at launch.

If anyone is familiar with The Next Generation Series, the last episode gives us a glimpse of the future. 20 years into the future to be exact. During this alternative future, Klingons are in a "cold war" with the Federation once again and the Romulan Empire was defeated by the Klingon Empire.

Now, if this is true, then Klingons now are uneasy nuetral counterparts and the Romulans are probably a struggling species (probably asking for protection with the Federation).

I know the future of the last episode is different than what others think. For example, Data is a professor at Oxford but in Nemesis he was destroyed. (however, B-4 in Nemesis kind of corrected this issue). While the future can be altered for specific people....I believe that the Massive future (kingdoms, etc) will probably be like that of the last episode of TNG.

Since there is no PvP at launch, it makes sense for not having Klingon and Romulan characters (since Klingons will probably not be allowed in the Academy anymore). However, they have hinted at these two species be available in the future.

yourmom12192

Novice Member

10/08/05 7:55:58 PM#2

Ohhhhhhh ye. Thanks en1gma. keep us updated.

By the way do u play guild wars?

Dekron

Old School

10/10/05 9:57:53 AM#3

Yeah, but it doesn't explain why the Andorians are in launch. Andorians weren't seen that much since the original series until Enterprise started. I hope they clarify why they chose the species they did because they could have put others in such as the Xindi, Ferengi, etc. with just as much thought. Don't get me wrong, I like the Andorians, but it's a bit strange why they put them in.

On a side note...

One thing I would like to see is species combination during character creation. For example, you can combine vulcan and human DNA and get a hybrid character with some of each species traits. In Star Trek's later years they were big on interspecies relationships and limiting a character to only "pure" races would kind of take away from the game.

User Deleted

OP  10/10/05 6:05:43 PM#4

Originally posted by dekron

One thing I would like to see is species combination during character creation. For example, you can combine vulcan and human DNA and get a hybrid character with some of each species traits. In Star Trek's later years they were big on interspecies relationships and limiting a character to only "pure" races would kind of take away from the game.

Actually the DEVs mentioned that (most recent Q&A). They said they dont know how to go about doing that yet.

Umbrood

Apprentice Member

10/11/05 10:47:14 AM#5

Wouldnt the timeline described in the last Voyager double be more of an accurate description of 20 years past Nemesis?

Werein the klingon empire and Federation are in good standing?

I would imagine that this time around they create an "actual" timeline, allthough based on other "time travel" episodes I would hope for it to be its own and fresh.

Id imagine the reason for cutting the races short is simply the amóunt of work it would take to put them in.

Even if the Romulans or Klingons are'nt in the federation that does not mean there cant be non-federation members applying to starfleet, Worf and Nog comes to mind. So being a Romulan in starfleet is by no way impossible one would have to assume they were sufficiently "federationized" and willing to follow their rules, woch would kinda defy the point of playing one.. :)

Me I just think it would be to much work to create a race for thoose few occasions, or to alter the canon enough to let either of them into the federation.

I am sure though, if the game survives, that at some point we will be able to play em all..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bverji

Novice Member

10/11/05 12:10:44 PM#6

It would seem obvious to me that the reason why there isn’t klingons and romulans as player races is because the game will most likely launch with a federation focus and as such be all federation races as PC’s

Fizblix

Novice Member

10/12/05 9:16:54 PM#7

looking at other games, I think the reason they aren't adding such popular races at launch is pretty easy to guess....

Its so that they can get more money out of us with expacks.

Sure it saves them some work too, but I'm sure there will be klingon and romulan ships/npc's in game... so they still have to do the models.

I could be wrong, just with all these corporate game companies that use the SOE strategy now, its most likely the case.

GRAFFiX - SinisterBlack

yourmom12192

Novice Member

10/13/05 6:40:55 PM#8

I would like to see character cyustimation like wut dekron said. Sort of like in enterprise when trip and depol had a relationship. a half volcan half human. That would be cool.

Also on a side note, zindi would be a cool character to play as. especially the water ones. or insects. cuz water ones can swim and insect ones could hop and stuff like that.

Slaggg

Novice Member

10/13/05 6:52:23 PM#9

Originally posted by Fizblix

looking at other games, I think the reason they aren't adding such popular races at launch is pretty easy to guess....

Its so that they can get more money out of us with expacks.

Sure it saves them some work too, but I'm sure there will be klingon and romulan ships/npc's in game... so they still have to do the models.

I could be wrong, just with all these corporate game companies that use the SOE strategy now, its most likely the case.

You are most likely right.  In fact, I can actually visualize it.  An entire expansion pack devoted to a race.  "Coming Soon!  The Klingon Empire Expansion Pack!!  Play as a Klingon!  Unlock the Empire in the Galactic Map!  Explore the Klingon homeworld!  Fly a Bird of Prey and other warships!"

Yep.  Marketing strategy there.

Face it, it's our own fault.  By playing and buying so many MMO's, the publishers have caught on to how much of a potential goldmine it is.  And one of the businessman's (as well as others) axiom's is:  Always leave room for dessert.  Give em a good product, build the solid base and keep em around with promises of more good lovin to come. 

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me...Blow."--Ash, "Army of Darkness"

yourmom12192

Novice Member

10/15/05 10:27:23 PM#10
ye, that probably is a good strategy.
  MSCav

Novice Member

11/02/05 6:43:35 PM#11

I hope they add the Romulans, I love that Warbird!

kaibigan34

Novice Member

11/11/05 4:41:11 PM#12

Actually according to the final episode you brought up, that ending may or may not happen. Thanks to what they did 20 years in the future the ending is not set anymore. They actually changed the timeline because of it. So while it might happen, it might not as well.

Kai

OrcBreath

Novice Member

Eagerly awaiting D&D Online and Age of Conan.

11/12/05 9:41:38 PM#13
Of course there is a marketing thing to make expansion packs for the races.  But so what?  Who here wouldn't buy it?  I mean, get real.  The first one will be Klingons, for sure.  And come on people - it's the frickin Klingons!!!  I'd pay coin to be a bloodwine drinking butch Klingon who can cloak his bird of prey and gut the puny humans with those wicked knives they always carry around.  All hail the Klingon Empire!
  GrimSkunk2

Novice Member

11/14/05 7:35:04 AM#14

I'm thinking the other races will be included in expansions. They are probably focusing on getting the federation side finished first.

-W.

Dark_Lord_13

Novice Member

11/21/05 11:27:30 PM#15

Originally posted by dekron

Yeah, but it doesn't explain why the Andorians are in launch. Andorians weren't seen that much since the original series until Enterprise started. I hope they clarify why they chose the species they did because they could have put others in such as the Xindi, Ferengi, etc. with just as much thought. Don't get me wrong, I like the Andorians, but it's a bit strange why they put them in.

Andorians are a part of the federation, they became a part of the federation sometime between the Original movie, and ST4, in ST4 you see a few andorians standing together in Starfleet uniforms.  This is when it is said by the Trekkies/Trekkers that the Andorians were part of the federation.

So the reason they are in it, is because they (like all the other races) are a federation race.

handshakes

Novice Member

Why does it hurt when I pee?

11/22/05 1:31:18 PM#16
Yeah you hit the nail on the head Dark_Lord_13. Not all races are federation races. So it doesn't make sense to have Klingons or Gorn available because they aren't actually in the federation, they have their own empires going on. Sure there is a ferengi and a klingon in starfleet, but they are exceptions to the rule, just one out of millions of star fleet officers. It wouldn't make sense if you were walking around a star base and there are 50 klingons just wandering around camping the 'giant space rat lvl 2' (btw if at any time during the game I see that I have to kill 20 giant space rat, space wolf, space worm, or space boar for a mission I am going to hurl my copy of the game straight out of the window).

Why does it hurt when I pee?

Nytemare

Novice Member

11/23/05 9:31:38 AM#17

Space worms?....Space Wolf?...no, no, no, it is....

Next quest "Tribble Trouble"....Kill 50 Tribbles before grain shipment is depleated

Automatically adds Quest "Target the Targs"...Must kill 50 Targs to advance

Dark_Lord_13

Novice Member

11/24/05 11:07:06 AM#18

Originally posted by Nytemare

Space worms?....Space Wolf?...no, no, no, it is....

Next quest "Tribble Trouble"....Kill 50 Tribbles before grain shipment is depleated

Automatically adds Quest "Target the Targs"...Must kill 50 Targs to advance

Oh, god, not the tribbles.  Don't get me wrong, TOS (the original series) episode was fun, and even the revisit by DS9 was a good episode, but I sware, a mission involving them would be annoying.  But didn't the Klingons Erradicate them?  I thought I remember Worf in DS9 saying they did.  (of course I don't remember the DS9 episode that well, maybe they ended up bringing them back from the past with them..????)
  Xix13

Advanced Member

11/30/05 8:24:03 AM#19

I don't mind them building expansions into their strategy. That's fine. As long as the CORE of the game is solid, expansions can only improve on a good product. Which is definitely NOT the SOE model, where they had a decent core, and then destroyed it. Any mention of STO in the same breath as SOE is what has me so worried, though. As I said in another post, after the SWG debacle, I'm EXTREMELY wary of any big-name franchises developed/published by big-money corporate entities. Star Trek has always been my first love (I'm old enough that I watched the original series episodes when they were first aired) but, to date, Star Trek games have been only marginal at best, and horrendous at worst.

One of the big problems with adapting Star Trek to gaming seems to be that the premise of the whole Roddenberry concept is NOT based around conflict but, rather, around exploration. Sure, they added wars and such to DS9, but that wasn't a hugely successful ST extension. Yes, there's always been the tensions between the various races, but no really encompassing wars, not of the Rebellion/Empire Star Wars type, or even the Shadowthingies of B5. Star Trek was about discovery, with conflict being an inherent side-effect of discovery but not the overriding goal of the series.

It seems that computer game developers MUST have a war to produce a game these days. Or else you get a Sims type, barbie-doll animated chat-room set-up. Exploration would mean constant CONTENT addition to keep it viable over the long-term, and we KNOW how MMO devs in particular aren't really that hot at adding content to their games.

I'm interested to see how the STO development progresses and whether or not they can stay true to this overriding principle of Roddenberry's vision.

-- Xix
"I know what you're thinking: 'Why, oh WHY, didn't I take the BLUE pill?'"