Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | EverQuest | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,872 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,892
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » General Discussion » Startrek Online (Better Than Eve Online IMO)

6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search
114 posts found
  Renoaku

Hard Core Member

OP  8/03/10 10:05:04 PM#1

I just downloaded the Trial OF StarTrek Online on Steam, and I was shocked at the actual game play.

I myself am not really into a lot of space combat, and wont say that StarTrek Online is the best MMO, because honestly it isn't, but it is better than eve online VS their game play, 100X better.

When I started the Demo I made a character, and then I ran the Quick Help, and training, It was actually simple, and Detailed of how to play the game.

The Over all Space Combat, is more fun, and better than in EVE online in my view VS the full automatic combat in eve, In Startrek, you actually have to Adjust shields to survive, and such,  and fire your weapons correctly to destroy ships, and it makes PVP, and pve more fun.

I ran on MAX Graphics with no lag at all, everything Max.

So for those looking for a decent MMO to try, You can download the Free StarTrek Demo from Steam.

http://www.startrekonline.com/demo

No Key is required, Just make an account, and get the demo.

saxifr

Apprentice Member

8/03/10 10:06:44 PM#2

I have so got to figure out how to get a revenue stream from Cryptic's customers. They'll buy anything.

I just have to think about "what would I blow a ton of money on" and go from there.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

Xondar123

Gumshoe

8/03/10 10:08:42 PM#3

Bwahahahahahaha! That's kinda like saying Thomas Kinkade is a better painter than Vincent van Gogh. It's a valid opinion to hold.

[Mod Edit]

xondar10 Xfire Miniprofile
  AG-Vuk

Hard Core Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Oh, I see it's too late to help you.

8/03/10 10:10:18 PM#4

I'll be curious to see what you say in one or two months. Also I suspect Cryptic employee of bumping unfavorable threads down and out of sight all while advertising the game.

Burntvet

Elite Member

8/03/10 10:11:17 PM#5
Originally posted by Xondar123

Bwahahahahahaha! That's kinda like saying Thomas Kinkade is a better painter than Vincent van Gogh. It's a valid opinion to hold, but it shows that you have very poor taste in art (MMOs.)

STO is to "other" AAA  MMOs, as "Four Dogs Playing Poker" on velvet is to fine art.

Elidien

Novice Member

8/03/10 10:11:52 PM#6

Comparing these two games really makes no sense. its like comparing a Porsche to a 4 wheel drive truck.....or comparing apple to an orange or comparing blue to red. Often, to make a valid comparison, there needs to be some similarities in the things you are comparing (moreso than "They are both in space").

Xondar123

Gumshoe

8/03/10 10:19:24 PM#7

I just got a good idea for a poll!

Thanks OP!

Due to Incarna (walking in stations) being announced for release in the near future, will you abandon STO for EVE when Incarna comes out?

Yes - Current STO subscriber
Yes - Former STO subscriber
Yes - Never subscribed to STO
Neutral - Don't care about either game.
No - Current STO subscriber
No - Former STO subscriber
No - Never subscribed to STO
Show poll - I refuse to vote!
(login to vote)
xondar10 Xfire Miniprofile
  BruceYee

Apprentice Member

8/03/10 10:25:47 PM#8

While this is your opinion and I respect that...you pretty much list only your positive opinions while comparing it to the "other" space MMO out there and give us details on how we can try it out for ourselves?

Something don't smell right but I can also see how you came to these conclusions after only a day of playing(I was fairly hyped up myself). Please return after a week or so and give us your review then.

Thank you sir.

P.S. Saying STO gameplay is better than EVE's by 100X is flippin' mad bro.

"If you can control a man's thinking, you do not have to worry about his actions. When you determine what a man shall think you do not have to concern yourself about what he will do."-Winston Churchill

SuprGamerX

Apprentice Member

8/03/10 10:39:23 PM#9

As a former STO life time sub I just need to ask  : STO and gameplay?   The two don't even go togheter.  You can get from starter to end game within a month without even trying to get to end game.  As far as compareing EVE to STO goes,it is completly pointless. EVE is "light years" beyond STO. 

Sorry,I won't be debating this any further , STO atm is a complete failure in comparaisson to EVE. I was too naive into believing this game would have delivered under Cryptic.  200$ down the drain but life goes on. 

Enjoy!

saxifr

Apprentice Member

8/03/10 10:39:59 PM#10
Originally posted by BruceYee

While this is your opinion and I respect that...you pretty much list only your positive opinions while comparing it to the "other" space MMO out there and give us details on how we can try it out for ourselves?

Something don't smell right but I can also see how you came to these conclusions after only a day of playing(I was fairly hyped up myself). Please return after a week or so and give us your review then.

Thank you sir.

I really have to come up with some kind of product these people will buy and start selling it to them.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

DragonShark

Novice Member

8/03/10 10:46:22 PM#11
Originally posted by Renoaku

The Over all Space Combat, is more fun, and better than in EVE online in my view VS the full automatic combat in eve, In Startrek, you actually have to Adjust shields to survive, and such,  and fire your weapons correctly to destroy ships, and it makes PVP, and pve more fun.

You  obviously haven't discovered autofire yet. Space combat in STO is really little more than turning circles while letting your weapons autofire, while hitting the specials as they cycle through their timers.

But if you enjoy it, great. Have fun.

raistalin69

Novice Member

8/03/10 11:05:12 PM#12

come back in a month and tell us again how sto is better than eve.

im sorry but comparing the two is like you telling us how enthralled you are with your new slinky and its way better than the corvette in the driveway.

sure the slinky is interesting for a bit.....

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

Logos1326

Apprentice Member

8/03/10 11:06:57 PM#13

On one very small hand STO makes you feel involved in combat as opposed to Eve where it is automatic, and of course if you don't like pvp you don't have to worry about getting podded everywhere you go, however, that is a very small hand. In everything else, content, sector space vs. open space, size of game world, customization, and other categories Eve wins hands down, even without a ground game. No comparison.

Like a few others have said. Play it for at least a month, then come back and let us know how you feel. I liked it too for a while. After a couple of months the well of "awesome a new Star Trek mmo!!" feelings dried up and I realized how shallow the game really was. Maybe one day after the season 20something patch comes out I'll get some use out of my lifer sub, but as STO is right now, no. I resubbed to Eve.

AG-Vuk

Hard Core Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Oh, I see it's too late to help you.

8/03/10 11:51:43 PM#14
Originally posted by saxifr
Originally posted by BruceYee

Thank you sir.

I really have to come up with some kind of product these people will buy and start selling it to them.

Just grab any garbage stick a Star Fleet emblem on it and away you go.

grapevine

Apprentice Member

8/03/10 11:52:53 PM#15
Originally posted by Xondar123

I just got a good idea for a poll!

Thanks OP!

It will make no difference.  The problem with EVE is it has a terrible combat system.  That is one thing STO actually does do better, along with the PvE content.  It simply doesn't have the debth or polish beyond that.

So to be honest I'm not in the slightest suprised there's people who prefer it over EVE.  It likely they won't stay subscribed to STO, but its also likely they won't touch EVE.  It also seems (like WoW) EVE suffers from the "I'm only playing it, because there's nothing else" syndrome.  It also appears to suffer from one either loves it or hates it.  Its the Marmite of MMOs.  I'd expect more hate it, than like it.

jpnole

Advanced Member

8/04/10 12:08:25 AM#16
Originally posted by Renoaku

I just downloaded the Trial OF StarTrek Online on Steam, and I was shocked at the actual game play.

I myself am not really into a lot of space combat, and wont say that StarTrek Online is the best MMO, because honestly it isn't, but it is better than eve online VS their game play, 100X better.

When I started the Demo I made a character, and then I ran the Quick Help, and training, It was actually simple, and Detailed of how to play the game.

I ran on MAX Graphics with no lag at all, everything Max.

So for those looking for a decent MMO to try, You can download the Free StarTrek Demo from Steam.

http://www.startrekonline.com/demo

No Key is required, Just make an account, and get the demo.

Sorry but you can't compare these two, Apples & Oranges. Eve is the best of Eve-like games whereas STO is among the worst of it's genre.

Talonsin

Spotlight Poster

8/04/10 12:48:06 AM#17

Like everyone else is saying, come back in a month or two and let us know how much you are enjoying the game.  I only had a few hours to try it in beta and I liked it and purchased a lifetime sub.  I can honestly tell you I will never again purchase a lifetime sub (except at a very discounted price on ebay) and I will never purchase another Cryptic product. 

Kost

Newshound

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

8/04/10 12:58:48 AM#18
Originally posted by jpnole

Sorry but you can't compare these two, Apples & Oranges. Eve is the best of Eve-like games whereas STO is among the worst of it's genre.

Agreed.

stayontarget

Guide

Girlfriends come and go but Epic battles are Soulbound

8/04/10 1:33:50 AM#19

Sweet mother of god...you could not ask for a better thread.  This is gonna be good,  Flying garbage cans vs flying spreadsheets.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

IAmMMO

Apprentice Member

8/04/10 1:34:51 AM#20
Originally posted by AG-Vuk

I'll be curious to see what you say in one or two months. Also I suspect Cryptic employee of bumping unfavorable threads down and out of sight all while advertising the game.

He or she won't be saying anything, read how the OP ended their post.  It's a viral post drumming up hype for players to try the game, those who made the post are getting paid to make such posts on behalf of the games ads department by pretending to be an actual player, got watch out for them on this site. 

6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Search