Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Heroes of the Storm

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,643,142 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,076,914
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » General Discussion » General 'STO is disatisfactory' thread.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
97 posts found
  FleshMask

Advanced Member

10/04/10 8:59:21 PM#61

Bazinga

Ventroff

Novice Member

3/14/11 2:01:56 PM#62
After 9 months in the game here is my review on what is wrong with this game.

• Short learning curve, quick levelling with no end content to provide replay appeal.
  • No loot system. Everyone has the same stuff at the same levels. No incentive to play harder or longer
  • Single player game.  Definately not an MMO, STF's only allow 5 players max to raid. (Not really a raid, but as close as they get)
  • No massive space battles, no open space pvp, no system control.
  • Pay to Play but new content is delivered via pay to win system (C-Store)
  • Bugged content at every level.
  • PVP is the only endgame, yet bugs allow for manipulating of stats for invulnerability. PVP balance is way off.
  • Terrible customer service. Threads on official forums that attempt to communicate with the developer team about bugs and exploits are moved, closed and deleted.
  • Gameplay is overly repetetive. Every mission is the same from level 1 to 51.
  • Environments are recycled again and again. Most MMO have distinction between zones. Castle whatnot looks like castle whatnot, and the plains of wherever look like the plains of wherever and provide constant feelings of continuity. the only places with any distinction in STO are non-combat social areas.

This game is pretty, but terrible. It is a slap in the face to anyone who knows what an MMO actually is. To me it really boils down to false advertising and marketing manipulation.

Unfortunatley this game could have been the best space based MMO to ever hit the market. It shows hints of brilliance, enough to suck you in long enough to hope that the dev team can pull their heads out of their asses and make a real MMO, but after 9 months it is time to accept that they made the game they wanted to make. I just wonder who is going to want to play it much longer.

So sad...
  AG-Vuk

Hard Core Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Oh, I see it's too late to help you.

3/14/11 3:33:46 PM#63

9 Months ? ( Chortle )  Welcome to the disappointed side of the Cryptic fan club. The anti-CDF.  I'll leave it to others to call you disappointed , bitter and basically lacking in any knowledge , unappreciative Trekkie , knowledgeless trekkie, unappreciative to the great stride the All Holy Dstahl has made, where it pertains to STO.

saya1965

Novice Member

4/13/11 10:29:08 AM#64

When I played I tryed to work with them as do I do all the time with other mmos.

I am currently helping and on the forums with fallen Earth, and Rift.

Sto is not on mmo at all.. 

All it is, is a cash grap. Atari had full control of both CO and Sto. they raking in the money now. I will wait and see when Star Wars comes out see what happens there,

http://ksbscrapbook.com/

Onsaboo

Novice Member

4/22/11 10:52:57 AM#65

Bought this on steam and am really disappointed at this so-called 'MMO'. It's very simplistic and shallow and ultimately becomes very repetitive. The ground combat is hilariously terrible and I find the constant C-Store whoring by Cryptic distasteful for a subscription game.

First Cryptic game I've played, most like the last if they keep pumping out games like these, which seems to be their business model.

Esherdon

Apprentice Member

5/04/11 3:53:42 PM#66

STO is like an old girl friend that you keep hooking back up with only to realise why you left her in the first place. I recently re-subbed again and less than 24 hours in I have already canceled my sub. The game looks pretty, I love the character models,  the ships look great, sector space is way better now that you can turn off the silly grid, but under all that beauty it's just a shallow well of boring.

"Onward to adventure".

Efraihm

Novice Member

6/21/11 8:35:47 AM#67

You are right about STO, it is a repetetive P2P single player game without exploration (strange for a game taking place in space) and it has no crafting system at all compared to other MMO's.

/a lifetimer.. *sigh*

FleshMask

Advanced Member

6/21/11 2:35:20 PM#68
Originally posted by Efraihm

You are right about STO, it is a repetetive P2P single player game without exploration (strange for a game taking place in space) and it has no crafting system at all compared to other MMO's.

/a lifetimer.. *sigh*

You forgot the North Korean attitude you get when you try to explain these issues on their forums.

User Deleted
6/22/11 6:21:16 PM#69

silly me, I paid for three months.

couldn't stand more than one month.

maybe the dev's should watch some star trek, just a thought.

NovaKayne

Novice Member

That is just my opion and we all know what THAT is good for!

6/22/11 7:06:22 PM#70
Originally posted by Uzleb

silly me, I paid for three months.

couldn't stand more than one month.

maybe the dev's should watch some star trek, just a thought.

QFT

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

unclemo

Advanced Member

2/13/12 2:29:06 AM#71

First impressions:

1. Tutorial is lackluster and I couldn't pick the first officer I really wanted.
  2. Ground combat is cluncky at best. 
  3. All text NPC's...no voice acting or animation.  Really takes away from the immursion. 
  4. Heavily instanced.  Can't I ride up and down a turbolift?  Or experience 'beaming'?
  5. EVERYTHING is automated??!!  Press F.  Press F.  Press F some more.  If I am ordered to rescue hostages I should have to access LCARS, do a scan for life forms, start beaming.  Skills and such can determin how fast and what I can beam through.
  6. Space combat is awful and has no 'feel' to it.  
  7. Graphics are WAY dated.  UI is meh.  Game feels ten years old really...actually older than that.  
  8. Overall lack of immursive quallities.  I can't walk around my own dammed ship?  Serious?  I assume they were struggleing with the 'no bathroom' canon on this issue and therfore didn't implement this feature.
  9. Where's the other people?  This is an MMO yes?
  10. Server instability after TWO full years to address.
  11. I have a headache after playing the tutorial.  

It is a shame what they did to this IP.  Sad really.  I guess it's back to my lightsabre until GW2, The Secret World, Tera or Planetside 2 comes along. 

JeroKane

Elite Member

2/13/12 2:32:35 AM#72
Originally posted by unclemo

First impressions:

1. Tutorial is lackluster and I couldn't pick the first officer I really wanted.
  3. All text NPC's...no voice acting or animation.  Really takes away from the immursion. 
  4. Heavily instanced.  Can't I ride up and down a turbolift?  Or experience 'beaming'?
  5. EVERYTHING is automated??!!  Press F.  Press F.  Press F some more.  If I am ordered to rescue hostages I should have to access LCARS, do a scan for life forms, start beaming.  Skills and such can determin how fast and what I can beam through.
  7. Graphics are WAY dated.  UI is meh.  Game feels ten years old really...actually older than that.  
  8. Overall lack of immursive quallities.  I can't walk around my own dammed ship?  Serious?  I assume they were struggleing with the 'no bathroom' canon on this issue and therfore didn't implement this feature.

It is a shame what they did to this IP.  Sad really.  I guess it's back to my lightsabre until GW2, The Secret World, Tera or Planetside 2 comes along. 

You must be trolling right? Seems like you haven't even really tried the game, if you don't even know how to enter your ship's bridge and walk around your own dammed ship!  lol.

User Deleted
2/13/12 12:58:16 PM#73
Originally posted by JeroKane

First impressions:

You must be trolling right? Seems like you haven't even really tried the game, if you don't even know how to enter your ship's bridge and walk around your own dammed ship!  lol.

I dont know if he is trolling or what he is doing but I actually found myself in a Q saturday evening, granted it was a short Q but it was happening, so there are players and I see people whenever I play. Space combat is something that I had to learn to like but find I enjoy it quite a bit. Funny how many complaints games  are getting about not having VO after the release of the latest WOW killer, hmm?

Mmorpgerius

Apprentice Member

2/13/12 1:04:14 PM#74

Yes, I'm on level 7 now and it's still satisfactory. :)

Edit: Sorry, misread the topic title...

FrodoFragins

Hard Core Member

2/16/12 10:15:22 AM#75

Nothing about this game is appealling to me.  I quit after only about 5 hours of play.  I wasn't planning to quit, I just haven't been motivated to return.  I found animations, ground combat and space combat all to be lacking in any sense of fun.  I was hoping this game would be fun to level in but alas it really is a horrible MMO.

The fact that I played Forsaken World and Runes of Magic a fair bit longer than STO says a lot.  Especially considering I like the ST IP.

C_Carmichael

Novice Member

3/14/12 3:20:33 PM#76

First impressions:

1. I agree, the tutorial is quite lackluster, even after the "polish" that was applied during the F2P transition. It was even worse back at launch. In alot of respects, it is the perfect summation of all that is wrong with the game. They used the ultimate enemy (The Borg) in the tutorial, relegating them to "weak" status. Additionally, they pulled the JJ Abrams move of taking a noob and putting them in charge of a spaceship. And in terms of "polish" it's idiotic that half the turbolifts in the tutorial are the new version, that open up like they should, and the other half are the old style "glowing wall" that is nothing more than a picture with a transition button. Just like the rest of the game.

2. I agree AND disagree with this. I'm not a fan of the ground combat in STO, as I don't feel that it's true to the IP, and it certainly has some clunkiness to it. However, it is much better than it was at launch, although that isn't really saying much.

3. I agree. After playing SWTOR, it's hard to go back to a game that doesn't have the nice cutscene interaction and voice acting. It's even worse when you do get a "voiced" cutscene in STO (like in the latest FE) but when your character "speaks" there is no voice, while the rest of the cutscene IS voiced. Incredibly immersion breaking, and it just reeks of poor quality.

4. This has been an issue with the game since Day 1. Way way way too many walls. You can't fly in space without walls. You can't walk around an interior without "walls" between decks. But I will say, there aren't nearly as many walls in STO, as there are in SWTOR.

5. This was one of my major complaints when I beta tested STO. I pushed long and hard for a more complex system, but Cryptic simply didn't want to invest the time and resources to make it so. Therefore, we now have a game that could be played by a chimpanzee. Literally. Space combat is the same, as you can fire all phasers with the Space Bar, and toggle your torpedoes to the 1 and 2 key. Whalah, a 3 button game. Not very complex, and certainly not very satisfying to play.

6. Agreed. Bridge Commander is a perfect example of space combat in the Star Trek universe. STO doesn't even compare. It's ridiculously easy, and it's not even a true 3D space combat environment. Case in point, you can't fly straight up. Additionally, you don't have a true representation of shields, as the dorsal and ventral axis aren't factored. It's a 2D sailing ship type combat, within a 3D style medium.

7. I don't have much in the way of complaints about the graphics. Sure, it's not the ultra-realistic type that Age of Conan uses, but that's alright in my opinion. Games don't need to have "real world" graphics in order to be aesthetically pleasing. Overall, I think the art in STO is pretty good.

8. You can walk about your ship. Though, there isn't much point (no functionality on the interiors) and if you do, you'll likely be very disappointed. The interiors are horribly scaled (land of the giants) and overall, don't have a high quality about them.

9. Not really sure what to say on this one. I see tons of people around in ships, as well as on Spacedock and Memory Alpha. Of course, I also try hard to ignore them, because of the cacaphony of virtual clown costumes that people use as their "uniform." Not very Starfleet, not very canon, and incredibly immersion breaking.

10. This is incredibly annoying, and I agree with you 100%. Lately, the servers have been crashing every 3-4 days, resulting in a 1-4 hour downtime with each crash. They know what the problem is, but can't find where the problem exists in the coding, and therefore, can't seem to fix it.

11. Here's 2 Advil. If the headache persists, call the Doc in the morning. ;)

rdrakken

Apprentice Member

8/13/12 12:59:44 PM#77

Being a very long time Star Trek fan I do have to admit that any MMO made for Star Trek will be bad.

Its either nothing like Star Trek, like this one and we will hate it for it...or it will be JUST like Star Trek and be boring as a game...the shows and movies(dont talk to me about that new thing that came out recently) were NOT action based but story based and story based MMOs tend to suck...and also traps you into a linear game which will then take away from the openess of the Star Trek universe.

It was lose/lose from the start.

NBForrest1

Novice Member

9/03/12 4:46:41 PM#78

It seems like  this game might make an ok single player game but i didn`t play it very long because you have to pay real money to be able to use the community forums. I just didnt see any sense in playing a multi player game that  locks F2P players out of the community forums and makes them feel like they are not a part of the game`s community unless they put up some cold hard cash for the privledge.

I have no interest in paying real money to be a part of a game`s community.

Gruug

Elite Member

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

9/03/12 4:50:55 PM#79
Originally posted by NBForrest1
It seems like  this game might make an ok single player game but i didn`t play it very long because you have to pay real money to be able to use the community forums. I just didnt see any sense in playing a multi player game that  locks F2P players out of the community forums and makes them feel like they are not a part of the game`s community unless they put up some cold hard cash for the privledge.

News flash, unless you have some "cold hard cash" you don't get the "privledge" of doing a lot of things in life.

Let's party like it is 1863!

NBForrest1

Novice Member

9/03/12 4:54:02 PM#80
Originally posted by Gruug
Originally posted by NBForrest1

News flash, unless you have some "cold hard cash" you don't get the "privledge" of doing a lot of things in life.

news flash, STO isn`t real life it`s a game, i have no interest in paying real money to be a part of a game`s community, i kept my cash and  moved on to other games.

Thank you for your opinion on my opinion of the game.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search