Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Shards | World of Warcraft | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,477 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,294,576
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » General Discussion » General 'STO is disatisfactory' thread.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
100 posts found
  PoopyStuff

Apprentice Member

5/11/10 6:08:50 AM#41
Originally posted by mezlabor
Originally posted by PoopyStuff

So funny people complain about this game.

You CHOSE to buy it.

you wanted that pile of shit, now you get to deal with it.

rule number 1:  Never pre order.

rule number 2:  Never get mmo early

rule number 3:  wait till the reviews come out for it and give it time to see feedback

But no, stupid people just purchase crap and then then cry foul when they were the ones who didn't follow the rules.

Actually I didn't buy opr preorder the game. I played in open beta and said I'll pass. I refused to pay them for what I saw in open beta. And from whats being said here and on their own forums I see not much has changed since then.

Yeah sorry, didn't mean to imply you pre-ordered.

Just saying that's one of the rules to follow.

I played in beta as well, and while I thought it was fun, its certainly not worth the 50 bucks they were charging for it, and the 15 a month.

There's other games out there, even single player ones that you can get more play time out of than STO.

Arletta

Novice Member

5/11/10 6:39:20 AM#42
Originally posted by PoopyStuff

So funny people complain about this game.

You CHOSE to buy it.

you wanted that pile of shit, now you get to deal with it.

rule number 1:  Never pre order.

rule number 2:  Never get mmo early

rule number 3:  wait till the reviews come out for it and give it time to see feedback

But no, stupid people just purchase crap and then then cry foul when they were the ones who didn't follow the rules.

Nobody thought to tell me this before then?  I accept responsibilty for my own stupidity.  I'm not accepting responsibility for a shallow game though.   I didn't make the game, was just dumb enough to buy it.  Unfortunately I learned the rules a little late.  I learned them now :)

Nirwyl

Novice Member

6/05/10 1:01:31 AM#43

I had so much hope for STO, it's so sad that it's been such a major failure so far. There is a glimmer of a whisper of hope on the horizon, cause I heard they're going to try for ship interiors, but I doubt even that will help. If I was running this game, I'd start replanning the overall development, and looking for more funding.

How I wished STO would be...

Open universe, board your ship and go anywhere. No skills or levels, only ranks. Go anywhere, do anything, all it's based on is what ship or equipment you own. Real exploration, where every day is a new frontier full of possibilities. FPS based ground combat, run and gun, fast paced shooter-style. Space combat turn based and strategic. Ability to play only ground or space depending on which you prefer, or both if you wish. Extensive world zones. Land on a planet and you can fully explore large areas of it. Every race available. Every faction available. Capture planets and solar systems in the name of your faction. Long term PvP conflict with wars that can last months between different factions.

Ah if only.

DoktorTeufel

Novice Member

6/09/10 11:56:22 PM#44
Originally posted by Nirwyl

Ah if only.

Yes, that would be wonderful, and nothing like it will be happening in any online game this decade, nor the next, either... unless a crack indie development team funded by an eccentric billionaire makes a miracle happen.

So much wasted potential. Humankind can put a man on the moon, a human being created Star Trek, and human scientists invented computers, but no one can create the ultimate multiplayer Star Trek game, even though all the tools and technology and backstory absolutely do exist to make it possible.

Well, guess it's back to twenty-sided dice, rule books, miniatures, and hex maps... you know, the good ol' nerdy tabletop games where you can actually experience gameplay that doesn't involve killing five hundred thousand boars (or Klingons) and saying "lol" to a bunch of douchebags with look-alike avatars.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

User Deleted
6/20/10 9:06:56 PM#45
Originally posted by artemisentr4

Atari offered 20 million to have a working game in less that two years. Cryptic bit on the offer and earned 20 million by launching STO. But by doing so, launched a game that was no where near ready for the market.

Actually it was Cryptic that went to ateri with the "we can bang out mmos in 2 years".

CujoSWAoA

Apprentice Member

"Pablo Picasso said art is a lie that tells the truth."

6/20/10 9:10:55 PM#46

I'm not a Star Trek trekkie. I watched the next generation cause it was quality tv though.

That said, I tried the demo of STO last week.

I had a good time in the demo. I may buy the game someday.

smitty0356

Novice Member

elite member by post 82

7/05/10 6:53:00 PM#47

did anyone mention that it is like a lame version of Champions online, with terrible avatar cobat?

Elite poster by 82

NeVeRLiFt

Apprentice Member

7/05/10 7:16:20 PM#48
Originally posted by smitty0356

did anyone mention that it is like a lame version of Champions online, with terrible avatar cobat?

what about the lack of content and lame cash shop?

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW
Playing: Sims 3, TSW & LoTRO
Waiting on: Everquest Next, ArcheAge, Wildstar & WoD!
Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

Logos1326

Apprentice Member

7/05/10 7:27:50 PM#49

I was disappointed. Surprised really that CBS allowed Cryptic/Atari to produce this given their track record when there are other game companies that would have done a far better job. Have to wonder what kind of damage this has done not just to the game but to the Star Trek image. Kinda confirms for me that since Rodenberry died it's become all about the $$$$.

Haven't given up on the game but won't touch it for at least another year.. which is about the least amount of time for further development time this needs. With the economy as shaky as people shouldn't pay to be beta testers.

barthburger

Novice Member

Nothing seperates humanity quite like religion

7/28/10 1:51:42 PM#50

I played with a free key and after a time decided it was too reptitive.

I have been checking the forums and just reading up on if the game was improving or not and came across the link for the C-store. I have to say some of the items at first were pretty cool new ships ect, but then I came across emotes?!

You have to pay just to allow your character to have all the possible character emotes?!

Maybe I am missing something and you can get these for free somehow. But honestly if not all I can say is wow...

Fun,Community,Graphics,immersion. Is that so hard?

hidden1

Novice Member

Good? Bad?... I''m the one with the gun.

7/28/10 1:55:52 PM#51
Originally posted by Logos1326

I was disappointed. Surprised really that CBS allowed Cryptic/Atari to produce this given their track record when there are other game companies that would have done a far better job. Have to wonder what kind of damage this has done not just to the game but to the Star Trek image. Kinda confirms for me that since Rodenberry died it's become all about the $$$$.

Haven't given up on the game but won't touch it for at least another year.. which is about the least amount of time for further development time this needs. With the economy as shaky as people shouldn't pay to be beta testers.

Yes Rodenberry would turn over in his grave if he saw what Cryptic has done to his creation.  What's next from Cryptic?  Earth Final Conflit?  Andromeda?  Might as well r*pe his corpse good and start the feeding frenzy!

Clawzon

Novice Member

8/12/10 2:36:19 PM#52

To sum it up: Flop Trek Offline  -  Fail me up Scotty!

:)

Cacaphony

Tipster

8/12/10 3:10:52 PM#53

What makes me laugh, is the comments by the devs and community reps on the STO forums claiming to be huge Star Trek fans.    And they will not release content till they feel that it is awesome.  I read those statements... then I look at this game and I just start laughing.

I honestly do not think Cryptic knows the fan base they are dealing with.  They said they did... but I doubt that very much.

ScribbleLay1

Novice Member

8/14/10 9:24:56 AM#54
Originally posted by Cacaphony

What makes me laugh, is the comments by the devs and community reps on the STO forums claiming to be huge Star Trek fans.    And they will not release content till they feel that it is awesome.  I read those statements... then I look at this game and I just start laughing.

I honestly do not think Cryptic knows the fan base they are dealing with.  They said they did... but I doubt that very much.

To me it looks like the only shows they watched was the opening sceens from Voyager.  Every instance you enter you have that same asteroid filled, Nova covered screen, just like the start of Voyager.  Cryptic also said that the TV Shows and the Movies were canon and that they were not going to change a damn thing, but then again didn't they also say that this was not for your regular Star Trek fan,, ohh well, I guess I Just Don't Get It.

User Deleted
8/16/10 12:01:35 PM#55
Originally posted by DoomsDay01
Originally posted by Hagonbok
Originally posted by wyodragon

false statement city of heros and city of villians was made by NC SOFT cryptic had little to do with the game as far as building it or designing it if they did why would they bring out a game to try to match it called champions online??

While I agree with most of what you say, I must correct you on this point. Cryptic did make both City of Heroes and City of VillainsNC Soft was the publisher, and then bought Cryptic out in 2007.

Calling the games "massively successful" is pretty funny though.

Yep, NCSOFT was the publisher. Cryptic is the one who created them. Oh and the way your statement reads, ncsoft did not buy out cryptic, they bought the game. it just kinda looks like it is saying they bought cryptic themselves.

I also would say it was massively successful. There are still a lot of people playing that game. Compared to almost any other mmo out there except wow, it would be considered massively successful.

COH muddles around with maybe a third teir of gamers as I would suppose that LOTRO,EVE,Aion may still all have more subs than COH.  Now if you consider it's a no name ip based on superheroes made with the same shallow design philosophies used by the now Cryptic I would agree it is a mssive success.

And while the op was somewhat wrong about the creator of Cryptic as pointed out by another poster, NC published COH Cryptic made it but for some reason the people most centrally responsible for COH's development did not go with Cryptic they created Paragon studios which leads one to believe they knew something we all didn't yet.

Kelvrek

Novice Member

8/16/10 8:29:14 PM#56
Originally posted by jaxsundane

And while the op was somewhat wrong about the creator of Cryptic as pointed out by another poster, NC published COH Cryptic made it but for some reason the people most centrally responsible for COH's development did not go with Cryptic they created Paragon studios which leads one to believe they knew something we all didn't yet.

That sounds a little conspiracy theory for my tastes.  I think that they just stayed with a successful (read: profitable) project that they had put a lot of work into.  Many CoX friends of mine freaked out that NC Soft was going to add a cash shop and try to get extra money from the players.  Although there were a few costume packets and origin packets players could buy, I think NC Soft has done a good job since aquiring CoX.

As far as STO is concerned, I think Cryptic is doing its best to improve the game.  I'm not sure how much heat they are taking for decisions being made by their parent corp.  So far, the devs seem to be at least trying to respond to constructive criticism of their product.  I hope they succeed in making more of their customers happy and silencing some of their rational critics.  Of course, some people will never stop criticizing this game reguardless of what the devs do.

User Deleted
9/25/10 11:45:16 AM#57

The way that mmorpg.com keeps propping up Cryptic despite the clear displeasure shown toward the company and it's games by this site's members is simply despicable. Mmorpg.com should be ashamed of themselves for coddling Cryptic and misrepresenting the quality of it's games (meaning not  acknowledging the lack thereof )to get that companies advertising dollars. If this site isn't for fans of mmorpgs, but is instead simply an advertising platform for the development companies, then they should be open and upfront about that.

Nihilx

Novice Member

"It always funny until someone gets hurt... and then it''s just hilarious." -- Bill Hicks

10/03/10 10:31:06 AM#58

I've been a mmorpg player ever since Ultima and this is probably the worst MMORPG I have ever played. Everything from gameplay and interface to graphics is bad. Even in the first half hour of playing the game there are a ton of obvious bugs.

Really wish I played the demo before spending money on this complete worthless excuse for a MMORPG.

AC (retired); EQ (retired); DAoC (retired); Horizons (retired); EQII (retired); CoH (retired); AC II (tested); Lineage II (beta); Neocron (tested); Saga of Ryzom (beta); SWG (retired)...

FleshMask

Apprentice Member

10/03/10 2:10:43 PM#59

I mean I love STO it is every way like Star Trek...

There's huge space battles in every episode, uniforms are anything including shades and 3 piece suits, the majority of everyone in the show is an admiral, view screens have all the small blue background regaurdless of the different location.

Cryptic, they are way bigger Star Trek fans, I only been watching since the pilot episode of the original series.

In short, this game is everything Gene Roddenberry had in mind when he was creating Star Trek for the first time.

It was as though he knew Cryptic would come along and work hard to make his life's work a crowning achievement of success, enjoyment, and jewel for all to behold.

*Smile breaks out, and laughs Madly*

ScribbleLay1

Novice Member

10/03/10 6:32:12 PM#60

For a minute I did not know if you were playing the same game everyone else was.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search