Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,788,136 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,439
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » Perpetual Studios Version Discussion » does anyone know what startreck onlie will be like?

4 posts found
  RevanKader

Apprentice Member

OP  11/12/07 8:43:13 AM#1

will it be like EVE where you are stuck to your ship and boring missions or will you be able to follow interesting storylines and fun missions. does everything take place in space or equally in space and planets? please tell me as much about the game play as possible. thank you.

Coward92

Novice Member

REDRUM!

11/12/07 8:50:55 AM#2

Originally posted by RevanKader

will it be like EVE where you are stuck to your ship and boring missions or will you be able to follow interesting storylines and fun missions. does everything take place in space or equally in space and planets? please tell me as much about the game play as possible. thank you.

STO will have space and ground gameplay, and you can freely go between the two. To PE's credit, it is notable they are shipping STO with space and ground gameplay.

However, space gameplay and ground gameplay are not shaping up to be any different than EvE/SWG/Bridge Commander.

PE is clearly a low-quality developer as they can only afford to hire young and inexperienced developers, they outsource all their animate, and they have already proven with G&H they are incompetent.

PE has openly favored fun and simplicity over more interesting gameplay and storylines. PE even blogged once about how they do not even expect gamers to both with storylines, having to read story backgrounds and such.

REDRUM!!

havocthefirs

Novice Member

No matter where you go, there you are.

11/18/07 8:03:20 AM#3

Yea, they will probably spell it something like Star Trek Online.

Shannia

Novice Member

"World of WarCraft is held alive solely by the mediocrity of competing products." RendRegen

11/18/07 8:23:02 AM#4

The question is better answered what it won't be like.  Unfortunately, StarTrekOnline won't be like Star Trek.  You will not fly around as a crew on a ship and take shuttles down to planets to do away missions like on the series.  They've decided to make everyone a captain flying there own ship.

Ships like the Enterprise from the series will serve as player cities like in SWG.  Will they be able to fly around as a guild?  No.  Will they be the site of boarding parties and wars, we don't know yet.  All we know as of right now we will not be able to fly around as a guild on one ship.

Like I said, it will be Star Trek Online in name, but it will definately not be Star Trek.  To that point, most Trekkies will be put off at P.E.'s spin that player cities are stationary space stations and you don't fly in a single ship together to explore space.  To me, that is a disaster is game design with the Star Trek IP.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."