Trending Games | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,642,559 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,076,463
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » Perpetual Studios Version Discussion » Perpetual Spin- Is STO vaporware?

6 posts found
  TheOracle1

Apprentice Member

You Know I''m Right

OP  11/04/07 9:39:53 PM#1

Good Evening My Fellow Gamers.

We stand watching the crucial turning point for Perpetual and their sole title, Star Trek Online.  Many of us have been anxiously following this project since it was announced back in late 2004. It has been quite a ride watching PE twist and turn.

However, my conclusion after seeing PE in action for 3 years is that STO will not make it, and PE is going to fold. STO will probably be picked up by a big company down the road. I am not happy to state this since I so dearly hoped to play the STO many of us envisioned PE would make.

PE is highly capable of spinning bad into good, and making the mediocre look stunning. But it all is a paper cover for the truth: PE does not have the talent, funding, nor perhaps desire to make a truly innovative, groundbreaking AAA MMO title.

It's not so easy to dismiss allegations STO is vaporware after the cancellation of the much hyped Gods and Heroes: Rome Rising, which Perpetual put up a glossy website for and a slowly built up media hype.

In early October, Perpetual made the breaking news about G&H, and announced it had secured new investors. This came out of the blue, because G&H was headed for release, and PE had let nothing slip about problems with G&H even after letting go nearly 80 workers, and delaying the game years.

During this time, now it is early November, Perpetual promised to get the community involved. But if you go to STO-NET you will see that PE debs have been absent. There is a Community Manager that lurks around there but never posts. It is strange since the occult-like STO-NET community will LAP UP anything PE throws at them, happily and enthusiastically, no matter how meager.

Perpetual has made no new statements, except dry and corporate-speak statements of optimism.

Right now there is nothing solid about STO. The information the community has so far consists of a couple of concept art, and a few conceptual descriptions of the game.

The other problem is, like G&H, STO will face tough competition in 2009. SW Online, Eve Online, BioWare Star Wars MMO, in addition to existing leading MMOs. STO will hardly be the lone sci-fi MMO in 2009.

Another serious issue is gamers are pretty fed up with Trek games, and Bethesda really put the nail in the coffin there.

I would put my money on PE folding sooner than later and STO either dying or being sold to a new company with completely different plans, likely setting it in the J.J. Abrams universe. It's pretty common for new businesses to fold, and at least the Perpetual workers have been getting paid, and I am sure even Daron Stinnett has been paid quite well for his time.  It's just the investors who will not see a return on their investment, as it is clear the investors have been shaping the products PE has made, and will ultimately reap the burden of failure.

Let's Hope That PE Can End it Graciously and With Honor.

Thank You, Good Night, and God Bless.

Jrod

Novice Member

11/04/07 9:48:25 PM#2

Maybe PE is done making games for a while

Dracus

Novice Member

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
- Brian Littrell

11/04/07 11:54:28 PM#3

I believe STO will be developed and released, and in a short amount of time.

This is needed or else confidence with the PE platforms will not exist.  Also that STO will be the primary short-term revenue stream.  Should STO not be released, then I suspect PE would fold.  So I do expect that STO will be released...

Now how good STO will be in such a a short amount of time, well, I'll let past events speak of that.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

TheOracle1

Apprentice Member

You Know I''m Right

OP  11/05/07 12:09:30 AM#4

Originally posted by Dracus

I believe STO will be developed and released, and in a short amount of time.

This is needed or else confidence with the PE platforms will not exist.  Also that STO will be the primary short-term revenue stream.  Should STO not be released, then I suspect PE would fold.  So I do expect that STO will be released...

I think you overestimate the value of the PE platform. This was already licensed to BioWare, we do not know if they will even use it, and there is no indication PE will be selling it to anyone else, or why anyone should consider the PE platform the sole software tool for MMO support.

PE just simply cannot sustain the high cost of producing STO, especially when they may not even the talent to complete it, and when their game plans promise a mediocre game.

At best, PE develops STO for a bit longer and then realizes they cannot do it and PE folds.

The situation is different now than when WOW and SWG came out, now there are TONS of MMOs out there, and it is not a slam-dunk to expect an IP to get millions of users.

User Deleted
11/05/07 6:29:18 AM#5

Technically, STO does fit the discription of vaporwear, even more so due to the fact that PE took G&H all the way to launch, and ended up turnning it ( G&H ) into vaporware.

Some supporters of PE claim that MMORPG.com is unfair to PE and STO, but I say they've cut PE a great deal of slack on STO.

According to MMORPG.com requirements for an MMO to be listed on it's site, STO should not even be here because it doesn't meet MMORPG.com's requirements for an MMO.

MMORPG.com MMO Requirements:

1. 500 or more simultaneous players in one world.
  2. The game must include some form of graphical common area. This distinction means Diablo II is not considered an MMORPG, while Guild Wars is.
  3. It must be graphical...so no text based MUDs.
  4. Persistent characters.
  5. Some form of character advancement.
  6. It must use a true client/server connection.  In other words, no HTML or "web" based games.  Games that run in a browser using Java are OK.
  7. Five or more screenshots from inside of the game engine itself.
  8. A professional web site free of annoying pop-up ads or Spyware programs and access to some kind of support system.
  9. Must fully support English.  This means the client interface, in-game chat, help system and support website must all be in English.

Look at number 7 and 8. STO doesn't have these.

7. Five or more screenshots from inside of the game engine itself.

8. A professional web site free of annoying pop-up ads or Spyware programs and access to some kind of support system.

Now my feeling is that the STO information and forum should be removed from this site until STO actually meets this site's requirements.

User Deleted
11/05/07 10:53:57 AM#6

Try calming down a bit.

Did I indicate that I was urging MMORPG.com to take any action, or that I thought they cared about the situation at PE? No I did not.

Just try taking a few slow deep breaths.

I said that it was the way "I" felt. I think that this forum is almost as dead as the now defunct G&H forum on MMORPG.com is, and every bit as pointless.

Short of PE filing for bankruptcy, there won't be anything really worth discussing until a game actually gets made and goes in to beta. Even at that, because of PE's record, there are no guarantees.

Like Jacklet and Warrior29 seem to be doing, I'm taking a break from caring what if anything happens to STO.

With regard to PE and STO, the grieving process has come to an end for me, but I'm replacing "Acceptance" with "Apathy".

The 5 Stages of Grief:
1.  Denial
2.  Anger
3.  Bargaining
4.  Depression
5.  Acceptance