Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | Marvel Heroes | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,356 Users Online:0
Games:713  Posts:6,174,059
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » Perpetual Studios Version Discussion » What do you think of the new art style for the game?

11 posts found
  barthburger

Novice Member

Nothing seperates humanity quite like religion

OP  10/29/07 4:28:31 PM#1

Hey guys, I haven't posted in awhile but I have been reading the forums here pretty regularly. I was looking at that last dev log post and noticed some pics of (vulcan)? I was alittle sad to see that the graphics look alot like a wow village. Now maybe this is just a concept art peice and not really a reflection of how the actual game will look in code but I really hope STO isn't going to be cartoon like.

What do you guys think? if the ships and the world objects are cartoony and cell shaded do you think this will affect whether you will play or not?

Still I may not like how the game is going but I'm a big trek fan and honestly there is nothing I can do to change its direction. All I can do at this point is hope for a remotely entertaining game.

Fun,Community,Graphics,immersion. Is that so hard?

Reklaw

Elite Member

The adult I am takes care of most things real life. However my inner-child is a GAMER!!

10/30/07 2:49:28 AM#2

"Vulcan Village" concept by Ryan Dening

Dunno, but nothing reminds me of WOW, i get the feeling many people seem to be WOWEFIDE and probebly see WOW in every game. Sorry i don't see it.

mrw0lf

Novice Member

10/30/07 3:01:20 AM#3

I don't know they are using colour, I'm pretty sure WoW invented colour, I can definately see a sky in there too, I know WoW ws the first with those. If this game has sound we are talking clone!

-----
“The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

User Deleted
10/30/07 3:15:54 AM#4

Originally posted by mrw0lf

I don't know they are using colour, I'm pretty sure WoW invented colour, I can definately see a sky in there too, I know WoW ws the first with those. If this game has sound we are talking clone!

Lmfao , man that should be your SIg, infact might make it mine.

Seloth

Novice Member

10/30/07 10:15:23 AM#5

to the OP:

a. this is a concept art piece, much like you would see an artist rendition of a new project like an air port.

b. while I want to think that sto will look nothing close to wow and the feel of that game, the gorn concept art is disturbing to me.

It is the nature of the artist to viewer what is really cartoony versus realistic. the artist does what the have a vision of, and the user/view sees it from thier own eyes and experience. Of all the things that we can worry about with this game art will have to wait till you see some real in game screen shots to know if the art is up to your standards.

Dracus

Novice Member

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
- Brian Littrell

10/30/07 2:11:07 PM#6

Originally posted by barthburger 

What do you guys think? if the ships and the world objects are cartoony and cell shaded do you think this will affect whether you will play or not?

I think that Starships will need to be similar to Eve-Online in terms of graphics quality.  Going with a stylized version would cause harm, since this is Star Trek, and Star Trek is suppose to be a much bigger IP than Eve.

Now as for character avatars, I have seen both stylize and near-photo-realistic, but as of now I don't know.  Maybe avatars will be on the "cartoony side" following along how Anime and Cartoon Movies are done (CG backgrounds with hand-drawn characters).

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

Khorian

Novice Member

10/30/07 5:14:47 PM#7

Dude, thats just a concept painting. A good one at that.

Reklaw

Elite Member

The adult I am takes care of most things real life. However my inner-child is a GAMER!!

10/31/07 4:28:26 AM#8

Originally posted by Dracus

Originally posted by barthburger 

I think that Starships will need to be similar to Eve-Online in terms of graphics quality.  Going with a stylized version would cause harm, since this is Star Trek, and Star Trek is suppose to be a much bigger IP than Eve.

Now as for character avatars, I have seen both stylize and near-photo-realistic, but as of now I don't know.  Maybe avatars will be on the "cartoony side" following along how Anime and Cartoon Movies are done (CG backgrounds with hand-drawn characters).

As for Characters, might they look like see screenshot??

http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/stoconcept2.jpg

User Deleted
11/04/07 4:48:59 AM#9

It's a possibility Reklaw but I think the artist that drew those pictures of the races are no longer with PE. Ken is gone and I'm not sure where Hyoung is or doing.

Those were the first drawings also so it is a good possibility that those are pretty much scrapped or on the site just for archival referances (to keep us wishing).

Graff

Novice Member

11/07/07 12:55:54 PM#10

I wont be able to judge until we see some real in engine shots of characters and such. I just hope it's closer to realistic than cartoon, I certainly don't mind a 'stylized' view that is loose of the budget and make up constraints of tv, but hope they don't go overboard.

barthburger

Novice Member

Nothing seperates humanity quite like religion

OP  11/07/07 4:48:01 PM#11

Well just to be clear I think this art is very well done and intereseting to look at.

My concern was simply the realistic/close to reality art style versus cartoon style. I'm a person that has played mostly EQ2 so when I was turned off by the graphics in WOW IE: when you see, say a peice of rope on a wall in EQ2 it looks like a 3d object whereas in WOW that same object looks like a rope painted on the wall 2d cartoon style.

So for the color and and shading in that picture it reminded me of WOW not really for the shape of the world objects but the color and shading used in it particulary in the way the road looked. So really im just wondering if it would really make people care one way or ther other as to if they would play.

As for me im hoping that they stick with realistic world objects. But I can see that there might be some positive notes to having realistic ship models in space and then stylized ground/avatar models. Other than the obvious that they would really feel like two games.

Fun,Community,Graphics,immersion. Is that so hard?