Trending Games | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,641,805 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,076,075
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » Perpetual Studios Version Discussion » Why Does Perpetual Have This IP? WHY?

9 posts found
  Coward92

Novice Member

REDRUM!

OP  10/25/07 2:46:58 AM#1

PE acquired the Trek IP sometime in 2004 or 2003. At that time, the Star Trek name was perhaps at its nadir. "Star Trek Nemesis" tanked at the box office, even disappointing hard core fans. Even the stars of that movies have disowned it. The previous Trek film, "Insurrection" did not do so well either. And "Enterprise" the TV show was a critical and ratings disappointment. It would be canceled in 2005.

Activision sued in 2003 Paramount because of the failure of the Trek brand. No new movies or shows were planned.

So did Perpetual Entertainment just luck out and pay for the IP when it was at a low point?

How long does PE have it for?

And why Perpetual? A gaming company with no released games, except a massive failure in production.

The founders of PE just have some experience with LucasArts games, and World of Warcraft.

I don't see WoW being such a bid deal where companies have to try to copy it like PE is doing.

And I don't see why PE has the ability to produce a quality Trek MMO.

REDRUM!!

BlitzBlade

Novice Member

10/25/07 3:29:10 AM#2

Originally posted by Coward92

I really don't see how you could know this...PE is in the business of producing a quality ST MMORPG. They do have legal rights to the IP and I don't think it's fair to question the result without seeing the finished product.

User Deleted
10/25/07 3:56:59 AM#3
Originally posted by BlitzBlade

I really don't see how you could know this...PE is in the business of producing a quality ST MMORPG. They do have legal rights to the IP and I don't think it's fair to question the result without seeing the finished product.

False. Until they show different, so far they're in the business of producing nothing, and shelving mediocre games. All we have to go on right now for a track record concerning PE is GnH.

arvainis

Apprentice Member

10/25/07 8:37:41 AM#4
Originally posted by Zorvan

False. Until they show different, so far they're in the business of producing nothing, and shelving mediocre games. All we have to go on right now for a track record concerning PE is GnH.

My thoughts exactly.  How you can defend PE after the GnH fiasco is beyond me.  Unless you're on their payroll or you have the IQ of a carrot.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

Dracus

Novice Member

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
- Brian Littrell

10/25/07 12:57:42 PM#5

"So did Perpetual Entertainment just luck out and pay for the IP when it was at a low point?"
Hard to know for certain if the license to use the IP was paid for or not.  I image there was competition to use the IP in an MMO setting with the release of SWG.  Then again in such an industry, sometimes it is having the connections that help out more than having the money.

"How long does PE have it for?"
No idea, but would be inclined to believe that there is indeed a time limit for it.  Perhaps say, 5 years for development and then another 5 years of live use; with possible extension based on performance.

"And why Perpetual?"
PE was founded by two senior EA executives.  They have experience in the industry and with MMO's...  which has a lot to be desired, but that is another subject.

"The founders of PE just have some experience with LucasArts games, and World of Warcraft."
Well there are others too, such as Earth and Beyond.  Perhaps Earth and Beyond was the demo used to help gain the license.  "Imagine that this game (E&B) was Star Trek, but with better graphics and performance.  Plus we have experience in the MMO industry, so we know what works and what doesn't."

"I don't see WoW being such a bid deal where companies have to try to copy it like PE is doing."
Some reasons there, large companies have conservative management principles.  "Go with what works, but make it better," is the usual practice.  WoW works and sells big; so thinking in business logic, all that needs to be done is copy WoW, make it better in some ways and add a new look; bingo, instant millions of users.  Much more predictable results than going with something that is innovative, but untested; especially when millions of dollars are at stake. 
Although PE is not a large company, its management is from large companies and how Gods and Heroes was played out, shows that the entrenched conservative management principles are still in place.

"And I don't see why PE has the ability to produce a quality Trek MMO."
With the fall of Gods and Heroes, and the lack of building the user community, I think you will find more people siding with you than opposing you on that opinion.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

User Deleted
10/25/07 1:00:11 PM#6

They have 0 (Zero) products to date, but they do have one of the most Beloved IP's to date.

I have no faith in them after seeing G&H.

Lateris

Novice Member

~perspective~

10/26/07 12:02:02 AM#7

CBS are as dumb as SOE and Lucas Arts these days.

Coward92

Novice Member

REDRUM!

OP  10/26/07 12:52:58 AM#8

I just do not see a reason to be excited for STO. If you go to PE's official site, the only images of the game are concept art. These are not exciting concept images.

There is no feeling that STO will be a sci-fi MMO that rocks.

I don't understand why PE will not release something, 3 years since announcing they were making it. Why not release a little tease that shows STO CAN be cool? A screenshot of the Galaxy Class Bridge, or a window view of a Starbase. the interior of a Space Stations. SOMETHING.

But the only major things we know is that player ships will have no interiors, and that gameplay will be similar to WoW and Lord of the Rings Online. OK. Fine. But what about the Star Trek side to it?

Without player ship interiors, it is obvious PE does not care about making an authentic Trek game nor a immersive sci-fi adventure.

So far everything PE has done so far is talk. No implementation.

REDRUM!!

User Deleted
10/26/07 4:47:50 AM#9

"So far everything PE has done so far is talk. No implementation."

This is why many people on this forum are upset with PE, and from what I saw in the G&H closed beta, PE can't deliver on any of it's boasting.