Trending Games | EverQuest | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,774 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,381
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

20 posts found
  Brenelael

Guide

Pointing out the Obvious to the Oblivious since 2006

OP  10/17/07 4:41:29 PM#1

As has been stated STO will have limited PvP on release in the form of Holodeck matches and war games (Duels). A lot of people that like PvP however have stated that this would not be enough. In the future after release they have stated that they will introduce other factions via expansions (I.E. The Romulan Star Empire) which would open up the possibilities of PvP quite a bit. My suggestion is that they implement open PvP areas in your own empire that would overlap along the Neutral Zone where players of each faction could openly attack the opposing faction. This would implement battleground areas where those inclined to PvP could go and hang out. Also this would limit how many fed ships you would see in Romulan space and vice versa. This would also mean that these areas could be easily avoided by those less inclined to PvP so it would cater to them to. Also they should offer optional missions that offer higher rewards for those that dare to traverse this "Neutral Zone" during the course of there missions. This would set up a "Risk vs. Reward" type of deal and help close the gap between PvE and PvP in the game. Those are my suggestions I'm eager to hear yours so Discuss!!

Bren

while(horse==dead)
{
beat();
}

Dracus

Novice Member

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
- Brian Littrell

10/17/07 6:41:53 PM#2

Would be nice to have the Romulan Star Empire as a playable faction, but STO needs to get launched first...

Then maybe six months afterwards a possible expansion pack could be ready.

And then we'll have battlemap PvP combat...

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

User Deleted
10/17/07 8:16:27 PM#3

I thought I remembered Stinnett saying that they were playing around with the cannon to create a storyline where "factions" for PvP would make sense. Am I not remembering it correctly?

Brenelael

Guide

OP  10/17/07 8:31:22 PM#4

Originally posted by Keogh

I thought I remembered Stinnett saying that they were playing around with the cannon to create a storyline where "factions" for PvP would make sense. Am I not remembering it correctly?

That may be possible as the stuff I included in my first post was just the things I was sure about off the top of my head. I didn't want to make any false statements after all, the sharks in these waters would rip me apart for that.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
{
beat();
}

DixonHill

Hard Core Member

10/17/07 8:48:24 PM#5

Jap, here.

Well, what factions are there in Starfleet and the Fed? Mhmm....Section 31 for example :D

TheOracle1

Apprentice Member

You Know I''m Right

10/17/07 9:44:27 PM#6

PE has stated they want to put in a seperate PvP free for all server. I don't know how that would work, perhaps a Mirror Universe scenario.

Also, there will be factions within Federation. Something like Marquies.

The boards here are dying. The same handful of dedicated posters are engaging in conversations with each other. I think it is pathetic and I am leaving for now. Keep in mind when gamers were interested in STO there were dozens and dozens of different posters.

Brenelael

Guide

OP  10/18/07 8:08:56 AM#7

Originally posted by TheOracle1

PE has stated they want to put in a seperate PvP free for all server. I don't know how that would work, perhaps a Mirror Universe scenario.

The boards here are dying. The same handful of dedicated posters are engaging in conversations with each other. I think it is pathetic and I am leaving for now. Keep in mind when gamers were interested in STO there were dozens and dozens of different posters.

Sorry but your wrong Oracle. Look at my other thread about Lore for the proof. Give people something besides the same old "PE/STO sucks" arguments and they will post. It's those same old handful of posters that are responsible for this section dieing before of which you're one of them. Talk about more then just 2 issues all the time and people will post. We must have about 100 threads in this section all with basically the same subject.  "If you post it they will come."

About the topic at hand. If they do have factions on release they would have to be "opposing" factions to warrant PvP. This could be good even with all Starfleet if implemented correctly and if it didn't stray to far from canon. I'll have to research exactly what was said about it and get back to you guys.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
{
beat();
}

DixonHill

Hard Core Member

10/18/07 8:32:45 AM#8

Well, in general for PvP in STO:

There should alwas be a "good" reason to pvp. Just "camp" at a border and shoot every player that is in range....no.

So...hard topic, hehe. I am very curious about the whole faction within the fed/starfleet thing, and i cant really imagine something there right now.

Holodeck and Wargames:

Great. The holodeck could be a wonderful startoff point for almost everything, and is also canon.

CtF, Deathmatch and whatnot, whole wars could be played on a holodeck.  "Pure" pvp for the people who want and like that. Just do pvp for fun, im compasion to the pvp in the realworld.

As a sidenote, pvp is not by all means limited to SvS. (ship versus ship)

Brenelael

Guide

OP  10/18/07 9:01:28 AM#9

Originally posted by DixonHill

Well, in general for PvP in STO:

There should alwas be a "good" reason to pvp. Just "camp" at a border and shoot every player that is in range....no.

Well the thing about this is that in the future of STO when they release like a "Romulan" expansion pack this is highly possible as that is exactly what the Romulans in the series did anyways. Romulan players hanging out in the Neutral Zone would attack any Starfleet vessel that came within sensor range as we saw this time and time again. What I'm curious about in this scenario is how the Romulan Cloaking Device will be implemented for player use so it doesn't give an overwhelming advantage to the Romulan player.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
{
beat();
}

ariwins

Apprentice Member

Current MMO''s pale in comparison to the glory days of MUDs.

10/18/07 9:05:26 AM#10

That must have been BEFORE Perpetual nose-dived their first and only other project into the ground in a fiery mass of elephant dung.

DixonHill

Hard Core Member

10/18/07 9:14:22 AM#11

Well the thing about this is that in the future of STO when they release like a "Romulan" expansion pack this is highly possible as that is exactly what the Romulans in the series did anyways. Romulan players hanging out in the Neutral Zone would attack any Starfleet vessel that came within sensor range as we saw this time and time again.

Well, thats true. But there should be some "reason". Those actions should reward you with points or whatever in an overall wareffort maybe. Not just pvp ...for nothing like in WoW. PE could do itlike WAR for example.

What I'm curious about in this scenario is how the Romulan Cloaking Device will be implemented for player use so it doesn't give an overwhelming advantage to the Romulan player.

I am too. The treaty of algeron could be nullified in the future, so that Fed Ships are allowed to use cloaking aswell. Or starfleet has developed better sensors.

User Deleted
10/18/07 9:30:45 AM#12

Originally posted by ariwins

That must have been BEFORE Perpetual nose-dived their first and only other project into the ground in a fiery mass of elephant dung.

This is actually true. The statement about PvP ffa servers and factions was made in the interviews Stinnett gave at the game developers conferance in Austin, which took place "before" PE placed the hold on G&H.

Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, I'm trying Tabula Rasa beta and Enemy Territory Quake Wars to get a little sci-fi time in.

Sorry to be kind of off topic.

Back to PvP, PE could very well try to launch with an opponent race for Starfleet. Why not? They are still very early in the developent of STO.

arvainis

Apprentice Member

10/18/07 10:46:33 PM#13

This game seems to be starting off eerily like GnH...the same things are being said.  I think they just recorded everything they told us and are just playing it back.  Sorry STO fans, looks like you're all SOL with PE.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

DixonHill

Hard Core Member

10/19/07 10:11:34 AM#14

Originally posted by ariwins

This is actually true. The statement about PvP ffa servers and factions was made in the interviews Stinnett gave at the game developers conferance in Austin, which took place "before" PE placed the hold on G&H.

Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, I'm trying Tabula Rasa beta and Enemy Territory Quake Wars to get a little sci-fi time in.

Sorry to be kind of off topic.

Back to PvP, PE could very well try to launch with an opponent race for Starfleet. Why not? They are still very early in the developent of STO.

Well, the concept phase is slowly coming  to an end.

But i bet, they thought about  implementing other factions than Starfleet more than once for launch.

Possible reasons for not doing so:

-they want to hold back other factions for expansions.

-simply too much work.

Dracus

Novice Member

- Brian Littrell

10/19/07 11:36:03 AM#15
Originally posted by DixonHill

But i bet, they thought about  implementing other factions than Starfleet more than once for launch.

Possible reasons for not doing so:

-they want to hold back other factions for expansions.

-simply too much work.

No problem to hold off on other playable factions.  Helps to add new content over the life of the game to keep players interested.  The expansions in my opinion should not provided as extra cost or that will cause a decrease in users (that worked with older games, but not so much in the current market), just follow the Eve-Online model.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

User Deleted
10/19/07 11:42:20 AM#16

....or follow the Lord of the Rings Online example.

By this October, Turbine will have added 3 very large content expansions to LotRO since its launch 6 months ago at no additional cost.

Brenelael

Guide

OP  10/19/07 1:10:00 PM#17

No offense guys but why have a thread topic if everyone is going to ignore it? We already have topics here for all of these issues. Thanks.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
{
beat();
}

Dracus

Novice Member

- Brian Littrell

10/19/07 7:24:00 PM#18

Are Hit Points needed when Phases are either set to Stun or Disintegrate their targets?

Does Stunning/Knock-Out the target mater, such as taking prisoner?  Or must everyone always be killed?

If there was a fight between the Stormtroopers of Star Wars who always missed against the Star Trek Red Shirt Security Teams who always die, who will win?

And that is why...

Dracus

Novice Member

- Brian Littrell

10/31/07 3:41:21 PM#19

Well I didn't mean to kill the thread.  Just that last question of mine was really a joke.  The other two, though could be seen as joke type questions, were actually to be serious.  This may be an old discussion of how phasers work in Star Trek games, but actually it isn't for me.

/bump

And that is why...

barthburger

Novice Member

Nothing seperates humanity quite like religion

10/31/07 5:10:20 PM#20

Humm, well maybe they will go the elite forces route. The current time period being so dangerous people have personal shield generators and transporter buffers on their belts just like the hazard suit. At least that explains why you would be able to take more than one Hit. The "Hit points" being how much damage your suit can absorb.

And that lets people have something to craft and tinker with as well. And very conviently explains why you can carry so much stuff around using the buffer :)

Personally though im looking forward to being able to play with a compression rifle. I hope they do the weapon detail justice. There is alot of potential for the equipment being able to see though walls and stuff using a tricorder or setting up a site to site transport for emergency evacs lol.

Fun,Community,Graphics,immersion. Is that so hard?