Trending Games | Pirate101 | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Wizard101

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,899,623 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,297
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » Perpetual Studios Version Discussion » How many of you are going to give Star Trek Online a shot?

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Search
167 posts found
  Cpt.Stubbing

Novice Member

EQ2, SWG, CoH, CoV, 9 Dragons, LoTRO, MXO, Planetside, GW, and many more...

4/10/07 2:22:16 AM#121
Im not with the crowd that thinks SOE killed SWG but if they have anything to do with the game the ONE thing you can count on is the customer service will suck badly.
EQ2, Planetside, are both SOE games I've played and have enjoyed them both. Isnt SOE just the customer support and money collector and lucasarts is really the one everyone should be mad at? I mean as I look at my DAY 1 bought gamebox Lucasarts is all over the box. Perhaps its both of them. I will play STO and I will pray SOE has nothing to do with it (because of the CS issue I have with them as mentioned)
  Fsuparker

Novice Member

"I didn''t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it."

7/06/07 10:53:16 PM#122

I think they might, but of that i am not sure, all i know is yes SOE has horrible customer service, but the one reason above all i hate SOE is that they are so limited thinkers for example...

They have the right to StarWars, one of the biggest fan bases and one of the best story lines and most thorough story line(at least i think so) and they did just enough to make the game "enjoyable" but not great, they went in a good bit of directions but not far in any other than crafting, which i think was a really great job, and becoming a Jedi BEFORE they screwed that up was nice too

Star Trek also has a good base to work on, and i don't want them to get a hold of it, because that would in my opinion limit the greatness of this game, not so far to say as make it horrible, but not make it as good as it could be

Anofalye

Advanced Member

The enemy is so dumb! They believe that WE are the enemy! - A famous orc commander.

7/06/07 10:57:28 PM#123

I won't.

But I wish them good luck.

Despite been a raiding game, I never saw them trying to lie about how grouping or soloing is important to them.  Thereby, they are not enemies.  They are merely a game for another specie.  Wish them good luck as long as they keep been honest.  The day they start trying to say grouping is important blablabla, I will be there to trash them.  But so far, I didn't experience such lies.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - René Levesque about the denial NO on the poll to his dream, project and goal. (Free translation)

Creoleman

Novice Member

7/07/07 5:31:25 PM#124

The question of whether or not one is going to try ST Online pretty much has already been answered many times over.  The number of threads is overwhelming and the number of different ways the same question has been asked always gets the same responses.  Ask someone about Player Ship Interiors, and you will find people saying they won't play the game because of no ship interiors (not confirmed as definite) or if they can't captain a Galaxy class or Sovereign class starship, they won't play the game.  It goes on and on, but people will find one reason or another to play or not play the game, and adding more threads to ask the same question is just redundant and unnecessary.

I have answered this question many times before and will state again that I am waiting for the initial beta release to test it out and I will work with the development team to iron out the bugs and make it a worthwhile game for all to play.  And if things are working out then I will order the game and pay the monthly fee. 

It is still way too premature to judge whether or not one will play the game before it rolls out of the preproduction phase and into the production phase of development.  Sometime after Perpetual finishes with Gods and Heroes, they will be moving staff into ST Online and then we will start seeing more things to whet our appetite and hopefully we will see more information come out and perhaps an initial gameplay video within months after that to help us make more of an informed decision about whether or not we are going to give the game a shot.

cxknight

Novice Member

7/08/07 2:38:28 PM#125

I am going to try it. Atm, it is one of the few sci-fi games that allow for players to play on the ground and in space, which is a big plus for me. As long as the graphics look good and the reported game play doesnt sound horrible, i am going to give it a try, for a few months at least.

User Deleted
7/08/07 3:49:11 PM#126

Originally posted by cxknight

I am going to try it. Atm, it is one of the few sci-fi games that allow for players to play on the ground and in space, which is a big plus for me. As long as the graphics look good and the reported game play doesnt sound horrible, i am going to give it a try, for a few months at least.

You can just have the attitude of the Lead developer for STO.... "There will be pleanty of time for you to unsubscribe". 

Kayless

Advanced Member

Assholes and Elbows! Stay frosty people...

7/13/07 10:42:18 AM#127
I'll definately be there, after all, WAR will have gotten old by then :P
  Betts

Novice Member

7/13/07 10:45:21 AM#128

Im in to try it out, Always been a big Star Trek Fan.

Creoleman

Novice Member

7/13/07 11:51:07 AM#129

There will most likely be free 7/10/14 day trials for everyone to give it a try once it goes live, so there will be a chance for everyone to try the game out at some point in time.  I, for one, will most certainly try to get in during the beta trials and try it there, and get a chance to help shape the game and iron out bugs in that phase of development.  But if it is my fate to wait till it goes live then I can live with that.  It's not as if my world will collapse if I can't get to play it before then.

Kurganxy

Apprentice Member

7/13/07 3:25:59 PM#130

my best friend and i often talked about wanting a Star trek MMO many years before STO was announced, so i have been looking forward to this for quite some time. In fact its probably the reason why i cant get into any other MMO i try, i know as soon as this comes out i wont be playing anything else. Cant wait

Graff

Novice Member

7/14/07 10:09:22 AM#131

anyone replying to this thread who says they won't is simply a liar.

Somnulus

Novice Member

7/16/07 3:37:29 PM#132

I have been a huge fan of Star Trek for nearly thirty-one years now.

That said, unfortunately, It is a near-100% certainty that I will not play STO. I simply doubt that an MMO based on Star Trek would offer the same drama, intrigue, detailed characters, settings or excitement that the various series have presented so well.

Also, it would be incredibly difficult for me to play STO because there would be almost no way ensure that there is a single server where role-play is strictly enforced. I couldn't really enjoy the game if there were people broadcasting/chatting "WTF? This fkn phaser doesn't even kil ppl when set to kil! WAFRO!" or anything even remotely resembling leetspeak, bastardized english or any other conversation that was immersion-breaking and consistently reminding me that I was only playing a game.

It's a shame, but that's just the way it is for me. I personally hope that everyone who is happily anticipating STO is thoroughly pleased and fully enjoys the game and I wish Perpetual the best of luck bringing this franchise to fruition as a MMORPG.

Abbatoir / Abbatoir Cinq
Adnihilo
Beorn Judge's Edge
Somnulus
Perfect Black
----------------------
Asheron's Call / Asheron's Call 2
Everquest / Everquest 2
Anarchy Online
Shadowbane
Dark Age of Camelot
Star Wars Galaxies
Matrix Online
World of Warcraft
Guild Wars
City of Heroes

Dracus

Novice Member

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
- Brian Littrell

7/16/07 4:34:30 PM#133

Oh there is going to be more heated discussions down the road.  The deal with Interiors for Player Owned Ships was just a tap on the shoulder.  Here are just a few of the other debates that I believe will occur:

- SOE signs deal to act as a Publisher for STO

- Starship physics

- Starship combat

- Levels

- Ground Combat System

- Economy

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

7/16/07 4:40:14 PM#134

Originally posted by Graff

anyone replying to this thread who says they won't is simply a liar.

hmm... I reply all the time to threads about games I'll probably never play... I'm just a troll you know....

I'm thinking that there's never been a Star Trek game that has ever interested me enough to give it a trial, (even when one was given to me for free), not seeing this MMORPG being any different from the pattern.... 

Star Trek is a TV show I watch, not a world I want to play a game in...... 

Arrogant, Condescending, Dismissive, Elitist, "Meany", you speak as if these are bad things?
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

jayce

Novice Member

7/17/07 1:51:08 AM#135
Originally posted by Dracus

Oh there is going to be more heated discussions down the road.  The deal with Interiors for Player Owned Ships was just a tap on the shoulder.  Here are just a few of the other debates that I believe will occur:

- Starship physics

- Starship combat

this has already been discussed, well before the player ship interiors.  the only reason you haven't really heard anything else on this issue is because PE has stated that they have moved away from 2D thinking. not the response that i was looking for, and i am still weary of their intentions, but its still a lot better than their statement invloving player ship interiors. if some of you people think that player ship interiors is a big debate, i can tell you, back then, that almost no one could stand for the 2D based game when it came to ship combat that it wasn't even funny.

Creoleman

Novice Member

7/17/07 8:58:52 PM#136

Oh come on, Dracus.  You've left out some very important debates, such as...

• Will Orion Slave Girls still be green? 
  • Will some of the mission involve the captain making out with the Sexy Babe Of The Week?
  • How Many Tribbles Does it take to screw in a light bulb?
  • How many Klingons does it take to kill a tribble?
  • How much latinum does it cost for a Ferengi to screw in a tribble?

Just kidding about the list there (except for the Sexy Babes one) but you are right.  There are plenty of issues that will hit the fan before we see one game play video or the first closed beta launches.

ramothin

Novice Member

Endgame the game behind the game!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1070329053600562261

7/17/07 11:02:25 PM#137

I most definitely will try STO when it its released or it’s beta.  The developers are actually going out to the Star Trek cult communities for information and advice to make sure the MMORPG is accurate and true to the world of Star Trek.  I don’t care if SOE has their hand in it or not, business is business and if the game is not profitable or attracts players then I would pull out too.  Regardless, I would want to try the beta before I commit any real cash or time.  I have gotten to a point that if I don’t get a 10 or 14 day free trial then my answer will always be NO, NO, NO to a purchase.

Ramothin
"None of us are as strong as all of us!
[url=http://www.signaturebar.com/][img]http://www.sign

Wardrop

Novice Member

The meaning of life is attained by caring for the one you have created.

Papa for life!!!

7/17/07 11:28:22 PM#138

Lost interest back when they were talking about 2d space movement etc. At that time, i figured id  like to keep my memories of sneaking as a little kid to watch the old star trek TV shows and the fantasies of what it would be like to actually be a cadet intact then to have it crushed by a crappy half ass point and click , auto combat game mechanics mmog.

SupeRMaN9909

Novice Member

I am not late! You just started early! :O

7/18/07 8:41:48 AM#139

Sure I will, I hope it's more than just moving ships about the galaxy though, I find that particularly boring.

I love all of the Series' of Star Trek and I love the movies also. I don't watch them much though, I am mostly revising C++, HTML and JS though so I don't get much time anymore.

Manghan Xfire Miniprofile
  Creoleman

Novice Member

7/18/07 12:05:07 PM#140

Originally posted by Wardrop

Lost interest back when they were talking about 2d space movement etc. At that time, i figured id  like to keep my memories of sneaking as a little kid to watch the old star trek TV shows and the fantasies of what it would be like to actually be a cadet intact then to have it crushed by a crappy half ass point and click , auto combat game mechanics mmog.

Okay, so I keep hearing people spat out that combat and movement are going to be in 2-D space instead of 3-D.  While I couldn't find the exact article, I found this one which should help explain it best.

From  Starbear on STO.net

Ok, this question has been asked a few times what the developers mean is:

2D battles are rather on a 2D
plane, as in both ships are flying at the same hight in space. A good example is how real ships fight, in the water as in neither ship is above or bellow the other. Now this isn't to say that the game wont have "3D" battles, if your flying directly into your foe, your ship may make a small dip downward to avoid hitting (or up). Also we've discussed how they could use "pegs" or "notches" to determine your 3Dness (above below your enemy). So if your on notch 3, and your foe is on notch 5 your below him/her, all you do is select 2 notches up and your on the same plane. The point is to keep the game simple for everyone, battle will be "planer" rather than free-fluid. This is also in the spirit of RP as in most TV show battles we see both ships relatively in the same "hight".

Well I hope that answers your question, in short they didn't mean 2D graphics but rather 2D battle system (unlike games like EVE online, SWG & Earth and Beyond). I think a better word to use rather than "2D battles" would be "Planer battles".

So, I hope this helps a bit with clarifying how PE might be handling space as far as battles go.  I'm still searching for a better explanation of how this will work regarding orbiting planets and such, but it is my belief that these will be represented in 3-D space as well.  I'll keep searching.

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Search