Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Wasteland 2 | Destiny

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,858,448 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,243,744
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » General Discussion » Star Trek Online Revisited Review

1 posts found
  Silentstorm

Hard Core Member

OP  4/02/14 4:41:37 PM#1

Review Redone

A few years back I picked this game up. And for reasons I don't even remember I stopped playing. Well now that I picked it up again. I haven't stopped playing. Well for one I'm a Next Generation fan. And this game has so many references and cameo appearances. I just got to keep playing to see who I find next.

The main thing out of this game you want. Is does this feel like you're playing Star Trek as a mmo. I say it really comes as close as you can get with a few flaws. I'm going to make this one quick and to the point. Because this game has been around a long time.

Ships=  The fact you can freely change and color them. With some limits of course to design. And you can earn a free copy of the Enterprise C at lvl twenty WIN!

Combat= Space combat is bad ass and stressful if you don't act accordingly. Land combat is way better then I remember. But still kind of meh, where brute force beats skill. Not exactly something you be yammering for. But the way you can edit and make your own crew. Makes it easier to deal with. If you got to suffer at least it's with people you made lol.

Sounds= All the music and sounds you love if you're a trekkie. Yep it's in there have some fun son.

Quests= I actually like the twist and plot turns of quests. You also have plenty to do and can redo quests. After a certain amount of time has gone by. Just in case you find yourself stuck short leveling. 

Dungeons= Are more like battlefields in this game. Considering everything is instanced. You kind of don't feel much different entering them. But the rewards are nice. And it's cool seeing large space battles.

Economy= It's pretty cool just how easy it is to sell in it. Just look up the prices of a item. And throw it up on the auction house. As long as you did research correctly it will sell.

================================================

Dislikes

Character customization is great. But 70% of the good items and choices are cash shop. Now you are left with a lot to work with. But simple things like rings or ear rings are money gated. I think that's a little uncalled for. Most clothes choices suffer that same fate as well. Not cool not cool at all.

Some quests literally are copy and paste. And they can be from different zones. But it's still the same person talking asking you to do the same thing. It's just a little immersion breaking. 

Also I have a little thing against vague quest directions. Although this game gives you massive green hints. When you read them sometimes it's like telling you go three different places. And you have to search the map. Traveling in this game is way too slow for vague directions.

This may just be what I seen for a bit. But the community seems a bit mean to people new. It could of just been what I seen when I seen it. But it was a lot of noob bashing.

My last thing is ship buying. Some of the new ships they put out to buy. Seem a little pay to win and OP. I don't have any but I witnessed them. And they tear up a fleet alone. 

All and all it's a nice solid game. Fun keeps you immersed and it's free. But if you're not a trekkie you may not see the charm in it.