Trending Games | ArcheAge | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,614 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,317,150
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
46 posts found
  Torvaldr

Elite Member

11/29/13 11:53:12 PM#41
I like this game. It feels like Star Trek to me and I enjoy it. That's all that really matters to me.

Curse you AquaScum!

Po_gg

Elite Member

11/30/13 4:36:50 AM#42
Originally posted by Razeekster

It felt nothing like Star Trek at all. How Cryptic got the IP to make a Star Trek MMO is still one of the greatest mysteries to this day. 

And then they got the rights to make a MMO based off of Neverwinter? How, I ask you. How?!

Don't forget Marvel :) CO was developed as a Marvel MMO, just got canned sadly, that's why they had to turn to the Champions IP. That's a nice IP as well, under "sadly" I just mean I'd love to play a real Marvel mmorpg one day, this lame Marvel Herpes...Oes is not an rpg at all (at least for me, I know there are folks who even consider diablo as an rpg... Lol)

STO is not fitting into the canon all the time, but I think it does a pretty decent job. Plus, it brought many Trek likers together into a game and gave them the Foundry, so they could made truckloads of great Trek-inspired missions and storylines. That's more than enough for me.

Neverwinter... well... :) it's a fun game, not exactly a deep rpg but the Foundry alone put it on the list. For the IP it's maybe not dark enough, but the Lore pieces are decently written. For the d&d roots, I've never played anything above 3.0 so I don't really care how well is it implemented... I like to play Neverwinter on and off inbetwen other games.

For the How?! question: dunno, probably because they make good games? :) (if you like, you can insert "profitable" in place of good)

They got Marvel because of CoH was a great game. Got Neverwinter because they managed to turn STO into a great game from the mess it was after the launch, and because PWE's f2p model seem to be profiting enough.

But I have to agree with you, in the middle of the line how they got the Trek IP, it's a mystery :) CO was a good game, in some parts even better than CoH, but it never was a huge success.

simplius

Novice Member

1/11/14 7:38:39 AM#43

star trek was losing ground, so they prolly got the IP for cheap

note the short Development time, and the small budget

of course, we  customers got mad, for having to pay for beta testing a half game

they have turned it around, with lots of hard Work, and faith in their product

of course, P2W, and perfect Worlds buyout did their parts too

they started small, and with a big vision

after 3 years, they have a solid spot in the world

STO is one of the most versatile mmos on the market, and i would be surprised,

if they didnt continue, to grow

goboygo

Hard Core Member

1/11/14 10:44:00 AM#44
Originally posted by Vorthanion
Like all Cryptic games, the new paint feel disappears after the first couple of weeks.  Too much instancing makes the game feel like there are only one or two zones that are alive with general chatter, the rest is sheer silence unless you have an active guild.  In a genre that is full of repetition, Cryptic has mastered the art.  Most modern updates to the game exist primarily through the cash shop and it was so in your face as I played the game, I sometimes felt like I was playing retail sales online.

Every pure F2P feels like retail sales online, the problem is so many new players don't know it to be any other way, they are born into the in face item mall as part of the gaming UI.

For someone who remembers a time when a developer wasn't trying to reach into your pockets every 10 mins for dollars F2P games are unplayable.

When I jump into an MMO I don't want to be reminded every 10mins that I'm not escaping into an online world I'm just playing a delivery system for an online store.  That's all todays pure F2P games are, a delivery mechanism to see how much money they can get you to spend.  The funny thing is some people now think that's the game, to see how much money they can avoid spending and the gameplay is almost secondary.

simplius

Novice Member

1/12/14 4:09:05 AM#45

STOs F2Pmodel is one of the best on the market

yes, the devs are very much in-your-face these days

if theyre not, the player will escape to another game, and spent his Cash there

its the Blessings of capitalism, and the free market

ktanner3

Master

Trolls will be ignored

1/29/14 6:28:28 PM#46
Originally posted by Vorthanion
Like all Cryptic games, the new paint feel disappears after the first couple of weeks.  Too much instancing makes the game feel like there are only one or two zones that are alive with general chatter, the rest is sheer silence unless you have an active guild.  In a genre that is full of repetition, Cryptic has mastered the art.  Most modern updates to the game exist primarily through the cash shop and it was so in your face as I played the game, I sometimes felt like I was playing retail sales online.

I never had a problem with instancing until I played this game. I understand having it when you go from planet to planet but it felt like I was seeing a loading screen every 10 minutes. Ground combat was clunky and companions got stuck too many times. Plus as a Trek fan I feel they didn't stay true to the IP.Some of the iconic structures were completely wrong and you never really felt like a captain since you were always doing what your crew told you to do.

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search